PDA

View Full Version : Are the Portland Trailblazers at Risk of Losing Lamarcus Aldridge in the Near Future?

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Now I'm seeing his status and after this season, he's on for 3 more yrs. His contract doesn't expire until 2015.

HOWEVER, I think he has an early termination option for that final yr of 2014-2015, so essentially he can become a free agent in the summer of 2014.

Looking at Portland's situation, they're trying to rebuild. They have some rotten luck with B.Roy, but they've also made some very questionable FO decisions like picking Oden over Durant (when Oden just had surgery on his knees due to limb length discrepancy issues late in his college career), the Jamal Crawford signing, the trade of Andre Miller for Ray Felton, the firing of Nate McMillan.

If Portland cannot come close to even winning a championship in the next 2-3 yrs with Lamarcus putting huge superstar numbers, then he'll feel his yrs wasting away in a small market similar to Melo in Denver and Dwight in Orlando and will bolt to a bigger market franchise that is committed to winning a championship.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Havoc Wreaker
03-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Now I'm seeing his status and after this season, he's on for 3 more yrs. His contract doesn't expire until 2015.

HOWEVER, I think he has an early termination option for that final yr of 2014-2015, so essentially he can become a free agent in the summer of 2014 and sign with us.

That's where most people will stop reading.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-16-2012, 12:12 AM
That's where most people will stop reading.

Hah, I just copy and pasted a post I made in the Lakers forum. Should have edited that, didn't mean it that way towards the NBA forum people, sorry.

Sadds The Gr8
03-16-2012, 12:14 AM
didn't they just extend him?

/thread.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-16-2012, 12:17 AM
didn't they just extend him?

/thread.

Til when is he extended then, because I go on ESPN.com, and it says that he has 4 yrs left on his deal. Maybe they extended him when his rookie contract came up, which was last yr?

LTBaByyy
03-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Nolan Smith
Wesley Mathews
Nic Batum
Lamarcus Aldridge
Who cares

Is a nice start to rebuild

jrm2054
03-16-2012, 12:22 AM
I can see him leaving Portland they had so much potential and now nothing

beasted86
03-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Like seriously is this what has become of the NBA? Fans starting threads about players who become free agents in 3-4 years from now?

I know this seems ironic coming from a Miami HEAT fan, but still...

bmd1101
03-16-2012, 12:25 AM
He doesnt have a player option in any year.

Sinestro
03-16-2012, 12:31 AM
The thread has some basis, every team's goal should be an NBA championship I don't think the team as constructed can win but just be in the fight for playoffs idk I'd hate to see Alridge waste away his years but hey who knows hopefully the Trailblazers can turn in it around

Yunqn
03-16-2012, 12:37 AM
You make a thread in the nba forum but say lamarcus will sign with ya.. Keep it to yaself or in the lakers forum

2-3 yrs from now the league will be totally diff.. The heat will be in there 30s an kobe will be almost on his way out..

Mind you he's a tall jumpshooting big who doesnt rebound..

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Like seriously is this what has become of the NBA? Fans starting threads about players who become free agents in 3-4 years from now?

No, it's not ironic, you're organization made the proper moves and sold it well to get 3 superstars together, so kudos to them.

Fans are just mad the players involved and how they went about collaborating to join together and how each individual went about their business in leaving their previous team. That's where the criticism lies.

No criticism in what your genius front office headed by Arison and Riley were able to do. That in fact should be commended.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-16-2012, 12:41 AM
You make a thread in the nba forum but say lamarcus will sign with ya.. Keep it to yaself or in the lakers forum

2-3 yrs from now the league will be totally diff.. The heat will be in there 30s an kobe will be almost on his way out..

Mind you he's a tall jumpshooting big who doesnt rebound..

I forgot to edit my Laker post when I posted it in the NBA forum. Spare me!

But now that you've brought the Lakers and Kobe into this, I'll explain why I'm so enamored with the prospect of Lamarcus being a free agent soon.

Kobe's contract expires in 2014 and that's when he will most likely retire (because Jim Buss hates him and won't extend him beyond that). Pau Gasol comes off the books in 2014 as well (but most likely will be traded before that).

LA becomes a free agent in 2014. Put 2-and-2 together, and the Lakers future post-Kobe can be built around PF Aldridge and C Bynum.

Baller1
03-16-2012, 12:50 AM
It's absolutely insane and sad how quickly this team fell apart. They were a top 4 seed to start the season! Ridiculous breakdown... One of the worst I've ever seen personally.

ragee
03-16-2012, 12:50 AM

HOWEVER, I think he has an early termination option for that final yr of 2014-2015, so essentially he can become a free agent in the summer of 2014.

Looking at Portland's situation, they're trying to rebuild. They have some rotten luck with B.Roy, but they've also made some very questionable FO decisions like picking Oden over Durant (when Oden just had surgery on his knees due to limb length discrepancy issues late in his college career), the Jamal Crawford signing, the trade of Andre Miller for Ray Felton, the firing of Nate McMillan.

If Portland cannot come close to even winning a championship in the next 2-3 yrs with Lamarcus putting huge superstar numbers, then he'll feel his yrs wasting away in a small market similar to Melo in Denver and Dwight in Orlando and will bolt to a bigger market franchise that is committed to winning a championship.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Almost all the GMs were picking Oden over Durant during that time. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I can remember, he had surgery on hi sright wrist when he was still in college. His knee surgery started when he was already in the NBA.

Anyway, the Blazers still have a few more years to worry about LA bolting. They just acquired 2 lottery picks before the trade deadline and have cleared a huge amount of cap space to sign relevant players. I still think they could have a bright future... They have been extremely unlucky this past couple of years when it comes to injuries if it wasn't for that, I think their FO have done a decent job on the team.

Baller1
03-16-2012, 12:53 AM
I personally think picking Oden over Durant was a magnificent idea...

;)

C_Mund
03-16-2012, 12:54 AM

haha, I know exactly what you mean. It's like if you're not winning RIGHT NOW you may as well just start looking at the FA/draft class five years away. I still think there's something to be said for good trades, smart drafting (in BOTH rounds) and player development

beasted86
03-16-2012, 12:57 AM
But seriously... 3+ years?

He could blow out his knee, develop back problems... who the heck knows or cares who is a free agent in 3 years time. No GM in their right mind would be thinking about what players might be free agents in 3+ years time so the fans shouldn't either.

What's next? Are we going to start talking about Derrick Rose being a free agent even though he just signed a 5 year extension? Might as well... somebody start up the 2017 free agency thread!

PurpleJesus
03-16-2012, 12:59 AM
the Knicks fanbase next obsession.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-16-2012, 01:03 AM
But seriously... 3+ years?

He could blow out his knee, develop back problems... who the heck knows or cares who is a free agent in 3 years time. No GM in their right mind would be thinking about what players might be free agents in 3+ years time so the fans shouldn't either.

What's next? Are we going to start talking about Derrick Rose being a free agent even though he just signed a 5 year extension? Might as well... somebody start up the 2017 free agency thread!

Derrick Rose is in a championship setting and Bulls FO is committed. They've made the proper signings to surround D. Rose with the proper personnel. The one questionable contract would be Boozer, but he's still serviceable, and even then, Bulls tried to pry away Pau from LA for Boozer. So D. Rose knows that Chicago has been committed since the day he stepped foot in the NBA as a rookie in 2008. Plus, Chicago is a nice city and has that Jordan history that D. Rose says he would love to build upon with his own legacy.

The Aldridge situation in Portland is completely the other way around.

ragee
03-16-2012, 01:05 AM
I personally think picking Oden over Durant was a magnificent idea...

;)

Of course you do. And all the other OKC fans out there. :D

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-16-2012, 01:06 AM
the lakers fanbase next obsession.

Live in the moment yes, but I'm sure Lakers FO is definitely looking at plans for post-Kobe era and saving $ at the same time.

PurpleJesus
03-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Live in the moment yes, but I'm sure Lakers FO is definitely looking at plans for post-Kobe era and saving $ at the same time.

lol, I actually meant to say the Knicks fan base next obsession, not Lakers, cause the Knicks fanbase becomes obsessed with every star set to be a free agent, and they think all the free agents want to play there, and they dont think they have a salary cap. I edited it.

topdog
03-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Almost all the GMs were picking Oden over Durant during that time. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I can remember, he had surgery on hi sright wrist when he was still in college. His knee surgery started when he was already in the NBA.

I know people love to say Oden was such a foolish pick because Durant was, quite frankly, spectacular in college, however, here are a few points of note:

1. Brandon Roy was labeled as an "injury risk" coming out of college and he was blowing up the NBA at the time of the '07 draft.

2. With the lack of quality centers in the league, Oden appeared to be the next and only true rival to Dwight Howard. On a team that already had a scoring 2, it made more sense to go for Dwight #2 than a high-scoring wing.

3. That wrist surgery actually had me impressed. When Oden returned, it showed how skilled he was as he was learning very quickly how to be an effective free throw shooter with his off hand.

Anyway, lots of bad luck for the Blazers. I don't really see an LA issue though because they have a few years to patch things up. I really don't see them becoming a contender anytime soon though (playoff team = yes).

ragee
03-16-2012, 01:41 AM

While the Lakers are planing for the post-Kobe era, they are still stuck with Kobe's horrendous contract and would not be able to really compete in acquiring FA 100%. On the other hand, the Blazers will be below the cap with lottery picks and still have 2 young good players for LA to play with. LA bolting to Los Angeles is not a concern for Portland as of the moment.

ragee
03-16-2012, 01:43 AM
I know people love to say Oden was such a foolish pick because Durant was, quite frankly, spectacular in college, however, here are a few points of note:

1. Brandon Roy was labeled as an "injury risk" coming out of college and he was blowing up the NBA at the time of the '07 draft.

2. With the lack of quality centers in the league, Oden appeared to be the next and only true rival to Dwight Howard. On a team that already had a scoring 2, it made more sense to go for Dwight #2 than a high-scoring wing.

3. That wrist surgery actually had me impressed. When Oden returned, it showed how skilled he was as he was learning very quickly how to be an effective free throw shooter with his off hand.

Anyway, lots of bad luck for the Blazers. I don't really see an LA issue though because they have a few years to patch things up. I really don't see them becoming a contender anytime soon though (playoff team = yes).

I think you missed my point there. I was defending Portland on picking Oden.

BullsFTW
03-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Oh Lakers, always trying to steal other teams franchise players just because their the Lakers. Why don't build your team around the draft like other franchises.

abe_froman
03-16-2012, 02:14 AM
wow,you guys are starting early with this one.he still has a few years under contract.

...eh,guess this is all we do now"star player x wants out now and is coming to my team"

sunsfan88
03-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Maybe the Nets will trade Lopez, Brooks, Humphries for Alridge & Matthews?

LkrLand
03-16-2012, 03:10 AM
I say he doesn't leave. The Blazers have a probable top 6 pick from the Nets (top 3 protected) plus their likely lottery pick in a deep draft. Add to that $15 mill of cap room next year to try and bring in a star or a couple solid players.

This won't be as long of a turnaround for the Blazers as many people think.