PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent acquisitions are over-rated....

Heediot
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Unless you can get a All-Star player Free Agency sucks.

Sometimes you'll hit it nice with a signing like Wesley Matthews, but over-all 80 percent or more of FA's that switch teams flop or don't perform as they did with the previous team.

SmartestGuyHere
03-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Because contract years inflate their numbers. However Miami Heat says hi.

Aust
03-14-2012, 06:37 PM
As terrible as this OP's post is, it does hold some truth to it

Heediot
03-14-2012, 06:40 PM
As terrible as this OP's post is, it does hold some truth to it

Just look at all the Lakers FA signings of late, the only guy that has some merit is Matt Barnes.

Metta, Troy Murphy, McRobets, Kapono...

Everyone thought the Lakers stole Artest when he signed a few years back.

waveycrockett
03-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Just look at all the Lakers FA signings of late, the only guy that has some merit is Matt Barnes.

Yeah because all they have is an MLE to offer every year. You expecting to get a star with that?

Heediot
03-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Right, they are still 50/50 at best. Battier and Miller were good pick-ups.

What about flops like Mike Bibby and Big Z?

spreadeagle
03-14-2012, 06:45 PM
True, guys get over paid then get lazy cause they just signed a 5 yr deal...West to the Pacers was one of the good free agent signings of late though, worked out well for him and the team

Heediot
03-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah because all they have is an MLE to offer every year. You expecting to get a star with that?

I don't expect a star, but let's be honest the production people expect at the time of the signing is more than they actually receive.

SmartestGuyHere
03-14-2012, 06:47 PM

I was talking about Chris Bosh and Lebron James....

SmartestGuyHere
03-14-2012, 06:48 PM

The Lakers did STEAL him. Artest gave us the 2nd of the back to back. 20 ppg with amazing def for MLE is a steal. He's declining but.. I'll trade MLE for a ring any day of the week.

waveycrockett
03-14-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't expect a star, but let's be honest the production people expect at the time of the signing is more than they actually receive.

I think it's because alot of fans are delusional. Knicks sign Baron Davis and they started calling it Lob City East and he was the savior. Lakers sign a washed up Ron Artest and they think they still got the best defensive player in the game. Celtics signed Shaq last year and their fans thought they were going to have the 2000 Olympic Team all over again.

Heediot
03-14-2012, 06:50 PM
I was talking about Chris Bosh and Lebron James....

Read OP. I said besides getting an ALL-Star. read the whole post and not just the thread title.

Heediot
03-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Let me ask everyone this question how many impact free agents sign each year that are not All-Stars that live up to their contracts?

Iodine
03-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Shhhhhh.... Don't tell GM's. Half of my enjoyment as an NBA fan comes from awful FA signings and people trying to rationalize them

Swashcuff
03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
The examples the OP is using here is absolutely horrendous. All those signings you are quoting are hit or miss low risk high reward signings that didn't quite pan out. Simple as that.

Heediot
03-14-2012, 07:26 PM
The examples the OP is using here is absolutely horrendous. All those signings you are quoting are hit or miss low risk high reward signings that didn't quite pan out. Simple as that.

Rip Hamilton
David Lee
Jermaine O'neal
Caron Butler
Kwame Brown

It may not be the dumbfunk 80 percent that I claimed, but it's 50/50 at worst.

Edid: Low risk or not, most signings don't meet team expectations.

kingsdelez24
03-14-2012, 07:28 PM

They were at least league minimums... and bibby came halfway through so he got paid like 250 000 at best

Heediot
03-14-2012, 07:30 PM
They were at least league minimums... and bibby came halfway through so he got paid like 250 000 at best

What I'm trying to also get at is, do the free agents at least meet team expectations when they were acquired?

KnickaBocka.44
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
When a legitimate player switches teams through FA it hurts his former team more than it helps his new one.