PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sloan interested in coaching the Knicks

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Update: 11:42 AM ET

While retired Lakers and Bulls coach Phil Jackson has frequently been named as a possible successor to D'Antoni, sources close to retired Utah coach Jerry Sloan say he would be interested in the position. Sloan retired abruptly in February 2011, and was pursued by a number of teams during the summer before resisting the recruiting efforts. In an interview with SI.com in early January, he said he was considering a return. SI.com

Via Hoopshype.com

Sloan could do wonders with the Knicks roster

29$JerZ
03-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Jeremy Lin PnR with Tyson/Amar'e as his options?
Why not

But I think STAT will piss off Sloan to no end
Doubt it happens

Weezy
03-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I love Sloan but its mysterious with his personality to come to NY. I thought of his as more of a "country" person than urban/NY guy.

Hell, I would not mind this guy here. He shows a lot of discipline towards his players. Awesome coach and I want him back in the NBA!

flatbush knicks
03-14-2012, 11:52 AM
hell nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get me phil jackson or jeff van gundy

Aust
03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
If he was too tired (lacking effort) to coach Utah, why coach the Knicks?

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
hell nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get me phil jackson or jeff van gundy

This is IMO but i think Sloan is better than Jackson and better than Van Gundy. He is also a no nonsense guy. If anyone can handle this squad its Sloan. Not to mention that Sloan's system would make great use of a PG with good court vision like Lin whereas Jackson would make Lin irrelevant.

Like with players the Knicks are trying to land the "sexy name" coach instead of focusing on the coach that would fit the best with their team. :pity: The Knicks deserve to lose with the way their FO handles things. Their FO is as bad as Orlando's

rwynyc
03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Jeff Van Gundy? How long have you been a knicks fan to think Van Gundy is coming back lol

Blitzace137
03-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Perfect fit for the knicks Sloan is all business he demands the best out of his players. Triangle offense is not a good fit for Lin they need someone like Sloan who demands defense I hope he comes to NY. Even though he had problems with dwill he did a great job developing him hope he does the same for Lin if he comes.

NYY 26 to 7
03-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I love Sloan but its mysterious with his personality to come to NY. I thought of his as more of a "country" person than urban/NY guy.

Hell, I would not mind this guy here. He shows a lot of discipline towards his players. Awesome coach and I want him back in the NBA!

This. I always thought he was a low key type and wouldn't want that spot light and craziness of made up stories of the NY media. He is an incredible coach so if he says he would listen Dolan should start talking. We should feel insanely lucky that these two are even reportedly thinking of taking on the challenge of cleaning up this mess. But they know they are great coaches and that very high level talent is on this team. BUT we thought Larry Brown was too (although that was the weird Isiah mess).

Blitzace137
03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
This is IMO but i think Sloan is better than Jackson and better than Van Gundy. He is also a no nonsense guy. If anyone can handle this squad its Sloan. Not to mention that Sloan's system would make great use of a PG with good court vision like Lin whereas Jackson would make Lin irrelevant.

Like with players the Knicks are trying to land the "sexy name" coach instead of focusing on the coach that would fit the best with their team. :pity: The Knicks deserve to lose with the way their FO handles things. Their FO is as bad as Orlando's

agreed triangle offense makes no sense for Lin and the knicks dwill thrived under Sloan. I hate when New York fans just want the sexy names think people think:mad:

fingerbang
03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Worst job in America.

Dankster
03-14-2012, 12:16 PM

I agree completely with you. Aside from that Deron Williams fiasco, Sloan has done a good job keeping egos in check in Utah. I would love his no-nonsense approach for this roster, he'd command the respect of every player on this team and I think he'd do a good job holding guys accountable as he sees fit.

noodle
At this rate, Ill be happy if Lenny Wilkins comes out of retirement to coach next season!

LongIslandIcedZ
Cant get much worse than it is right now with Antoni

(Notice the no 'D')

Bazinga, you've all fallen victim to one of my classic pranks

noodle
J/k btw.

noodle
03-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Worst job in America.

Brilliant!

And totally true.

knicks=love
03-14-2012, 12:18 PM
sloan is a great coach, but i don't know if he could help us on defense (i honestly don't know.. someone tell me hahah). that's our main problem. i think that if d'antoni is fired after these next 3 games (which he should be if we lose 2 out of the 3), woodson will step in and things should turn around.. not dramatically, but enough to keep us in playoff contention. :pray:

Baller1
03-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Nooooo... Coach OKC Sloan!

Punk
03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

:confused:

The Bulls had a few PG's during the Jackson era who aren't considered irrelevant.

You really think the flex offense works when it comes to a scoring SF as the main option?

ghettosean
03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
If he was too tired (lacking effort) to coach Utah, why coach the Knicks?
He wasn't too tired... D-Will and him clashed a lot and basically it got to the point where he retired. I think one of these clashes happened publicly as well. I hope he comes back he's great coach and well he would be a nice step up from D'Antoni.

lakers4sho
03-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Not if new jersey ships Williams to the knicks

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 12:28 PM
:confused:

The Bulls had a few PG's during the Jackson era who aren't considered irrelevant.

You really think the flex offense works when it comes to a scoring SF as the main option?

I think the triangle offense would be great for mostly Melo and maybe Chandler but not for the team overall whereas Sloan would instill less hero ball and make better use of Amare, Lin, Fields, the bench and encourage team ball. Melo might struggle but i think Sloan would make better use of his talents in a way that allows the team to thrive. I think Jackson is the most overrated coach of all time.

MackShock
03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Phil Jackson vs Jerry Sloan...

history repeats itself.

flatbush knicks
03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
sloan < jackson nuff said

ghettosean
03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Dude your sig just freaks/trips me out everytime I look at it... LOL!

Derrick Wade!

Weezy
03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
I think the triangle offense would be great for mostly Melo and maybe Chandler but not for the team overall whereas Sloan would instill less hero ball and make better use of Amare, Lin, Fields, the bench and encourage team ball. Melo might struggle but i think Sloan would make better use of his talents in a way that allows the team to thrive. I think Jackson is the most overrated coach of all time.

I will agree with you here... I like Phil but I think Sloan is a much better fit for our squad. I just don't think Sloan wanting to come here is true though.....

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Dude your sig just freaks/trips me out everytime I look at it... LOL!

Derrick Wade!

:laugh2: sometimes when i look at it i see Wade but other times i see Rose :pity: ***mind blown***

Punk
03-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Overrated? Phil's presence alone would change the confidence of the team.

If Sloan comes: It's for Jeremy.

If Phil comes: It's for Melo, Amare, Tyson.

flatbush knicks
03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Do you people even remember why sloan left because he couldn't deal with dwills attitude and him becoming a free agent. Hmmmm i wonder how long before stats d and melos attitude drves him to resign again. Sloan just doesn't mesh with our players. We would have to trade half the roster to get sloan type players. sound familiar and how is sloan not a bigger name than jvg. If you want to bring more names up i think nate mcmillan would be a better fit than sloan

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 12:44 PM

If Sloan comes: It's for Jeremy.

If Phil comes: It's for Melo, Amare, Tyson.

Pleeeease... Sloan doesnt have a presence? Jackson does nothing except ride his star scorer and hope that scorer doesnt shoot his team out of the game. Oh and i forgot it takes such skill to sit on a timeout for 3 minutes hoping your team figures it out by themselves.

Oh yea and people think he is a good coach cuz he likes to call out his players publicly...

Tell me when has Jackson ever won anything while not having the best player in the league?

I dont dislike Phil but he hasnt done anything to earn my respect whereas Sloan would be a better fit for the team and has proven he can win without a Kobe or a Jordan or a Shaq.

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 12:45 PM

If Sloan comes: It's for Jeremy, Amare, Fields, the bench, and team ball

If Phil comes: It's for Melo, maybe Amare, Tyson and hero ball

fixed

nycsports2
03-14-2012, 12:47 PM

man do i wish... itll never happen though not a chance

oaktown09
03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Sloan, or Jackson would be cool but unrealistic. Knicks should target Orlando Magic assistanst Patrick Ewing. No one knows the pressures of being New York's biggest star quite like Ewing, he could add some toughness to the team and maybe open the door for Dwight Howard,his protoge, to sign on in Free Agency. But whatever the Knicks do, it will not work with Stoudemire, he needs to leave.

Team*Chicago
03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Pleeeease... Sloan doesnt have a presence? Jackson does nothing except ride his star scorer and hope that scorer doesnt shoot his team out of the game. Oh and i forgot it takes such skill to sit on a timeout for 3 minutes hoping your team figures it out by themselves.

Oh yea and people think he is a good coach cuz he likes to call out his players publicly...

Tell me when has Jackson ever won anything while not having the best player in the league?

I dont dislike Phil but he hasnt done anything to earn my respect whereas Sloan would be a better fit for the team and has proven he can win without a Kobe or a Jordan or a Shaq.

Is that Derrick Rose or Dwyane Wade?

LongIslandIcedZ
03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
I will be very happy with either one of them. Getting people with huge ego's to buy into an idea that wont best fit said ego's is not an easy thing to accomplish. It clearly isnt D'Antoni's strong point, so it would be a smart move for a guy to come in and demand respect right off the bat.

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 12:55 PM

:laugh2: ***mind blown*** :speechless:

freedas
03-14-2012, 12:56 PM

iI think its dwayne rose :D

Hugbees
03-14-2012, 12:59 PM

that picture is ****in creeeeeepy holy ****

VillaMaravilla
03-14-2012, 01:03 PM
I would love Sloan hes an awesome coach the Jazz no matter who was on that team were good year in and year out thanks to Jerry

Punk
03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
fixed

Yeah, that hero ball worked out nicely for the Laker frontline.

Suns4ever67
03-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Jerry Sloan reminds me of the wooden indian in smoke shops. I think his coaching days are behind him.

flatbush knicks
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I would love Sloan hes an awesome coach the Jazz no matter who was on that team were good year in and year out thanks to Jerry

BS Sloan had great pgs his who whole career stockton then dwill he's not that great of a coach never won a title and I know you people aren't comparing jeremy lin to either one of those pgs smh

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
BS Sloan had great pgs his who whole career stockton then dwill he's not that great of a coach never won a title and I know you people aren't comparing jeremy lin to either one of those pgs smh

And jackson had who? oh thats right a guy named Jordan and a guy named Kobe Pshhh you win...

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, that hero ball worked out nicely for the Laker frontline.

:laugh2: Chandler aint nowhere near as good as Bynum and he couldnt even sniff Shaqs jock. Amare is shot and Gasol is an infinitely better player than him. Meanwhile there was also a guy named kobe that on his prime was worlds better than Melo who is overrated and a chemistry killer.

BKLYNpigeon
03-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Not going to happen unless Sloan has 100% control of the team.

goNYgoNYgo
03-14-2012, 01:15 PM

you've proven to be a troll.

hasn't done anything to earn your respect? ummm how about those 11 rings? AND he did it with a Jordan and a Shaq and a Kobe. Those big *** egos. He held them in control. He knew how to get the best out of his stars. He'll get the superstar production from melo. And in the triangle? Melo and Amare will kill it.

Sloan would be nice, but if we have a chance at the Zen Master, we go for it.

goNYgoNYgo
03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
And jackson had who? oh thats right a guy named Jordan and a guy named Kobe Pshhh you win...

And Sloan had Stockton and Malone!!!

STOCKTON!!!

AND!!!

MALOOOONE!!!!!!!

Probably the best little man and big man combo of all time. Get outta here.

Chill_Will_24
03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
you've proven to be a troll.

hasn't done anything to earn your respect? ummm how about those 11 rings? AND he did it with a Jordan and a Shaq and a Kobe. Those big *** egos. He held them in control. He knew how to get the best out of his stars. He'll get the superstar production from melo. And in the triangle? Melo and Amare will kill it.

Sloan would be nice, but if we have a chance at the Zen Master, we go for it.

:laugh2:

I would counter but you already proved me point:

Melo is no Jordan or Kobe

Chandler is no Shaq

Amare is no Gasol

Sloan knows how to handle egos and to top it off he knows how to incorporate teamwork whereas all Phil knew how to do was sit on his timeouts and ride his superstars to the win.

Does anyone seriously think Phil would have won a thing if you replaced Melo, Chandler, and Lin on the 90's Bulls? or the Lakers when they won the titles? :pity:

PatsSoxKnicks
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Lin, Amare and Tyson would love Sloan's P&R heavy system but where does Melo fit in? The triangle would probably be best suited to Melo's talents but the other guys (Lin and Amare) wouldn't really fit the triangle imo.

NYY09
03-14-2012, 02:14 PM
How bout the Knicks get a real FO first, not Glen ******* Grunwald & Co. Then maybe they would make some semi-intelligent moves, you know, like the right coach and complimentary players.

ManningToTyree
03-14-2012, 02:16 PM
That would be a dream come true if Phil is staying retired.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Phil Jackson isn't just a sexy name, he's also a very very sexy man.

He's the G.O.A.T. coach. Let him finish his coaching career in the place where he learned his coaching skills (from the Knicks' Red Holzman in the 70s).

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
And Sloan had Stockton and Malone!!!

STOCKTON!!!

AND!!!

MALOOOONE!!!!!!!

Probably the best little man and big man combo of all time. Get outta here.

Shaq and Kobe say hello, and you're welcome.

You and your weak sauce get outta here! ;)

Evolution23
03-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I would prefer Phil Jackson but Sloan is still an excellent coach.

Muttman73
03-14-2012, 04:39 PM
That would be an interesting combination

With this group, might as well bring back Isiah