PDA

View Full Version : Cecil's velocity

purplehaze89
03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
So according to Fidlin, Cecil's velocity is still topping out at 88 mph, which is a far cry from his halycon 2010 days of 92. What the eff happened? This guy is going to get smoked again no matter how much better his secondary stuff is with an 88 mph fastball in the AL East?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/08/jays-notes-cecil-needs-more-velocity

masTOR_shake1
03-14-2012, 07:13 AM
yikes, perhaps this is why a.a is looking for help in floyd and blanton. someone has to be the odd man out, but he has looked pretty good thus far.

ILDD
03-14-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm not a big believer in Cecil personally but I think we need to step away from the ledge a little here. The velocity drop is concerning but he's thrown 6 innings. 6. I say again - 6.

Cecil has also had great results from this limited sample size, 0.00 ERA, 0.83 WHIP with more strikeouts than walks. Let's not write him off until we have a bit more info that we have right now.

The_Jet11
03-14-2012, 08:35 AM
on the bright side (and another very small spring sample) but our projected rotation has yielded all of 1 earned run thus far. Pitchers are usually well ahead of hitters in the early stages of camp, and a lot of the time we're facing watered down line-ups but hey, I'm a fan, and it's something to be cautiously optomistic about!

Romero: 5.0 IP, 0 ER, 0.40 WHIP
Morrow: 5.0 IP, 0 ER, 0.40 WHIP
Cecil: 6.0 IP, 0 ER, 0.83 WHIP
Alvarez: 3.0 IP, 1 ER, 1.00 WHIP
McGowan: 2.0 IP, 0 ER, 0.50 WHIP

Total: 21 IP, 1 ER, 0.62 WHIP

Nothing to write home about just yet, but encouraging to see our starters seemingly finding their command early on in camp. Here's hoping they are taking steps in the right direction!

Sanyo
03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Romero will be in the hunt for a Cy Young this year, Morrow will be the strikeout champ in the AL (barring any injuries), Alvarez will break through the secondary slump, McGowan will be more like Chris Carpenter than anything and be back in form (ok maybe not a Cy Young caliber pitcher but very effective. Though he will not be able to play the full year, hence one of Deck/Hutch/Jenkins replaces him later in the year), Cecil will be the hit or miss based on whether he can get the velocity up -- worst case he doesnt and he may need to be moved to the bullpen. Remember guys Kyle Drabek is still in camp as well, its not like he has absolutely no shot of making the team-- though let's see as the spring progresses....

1hardcore
03-14-2012, 10:45 AM
I think we have to just accept the fact that he's throwing 88...

As long as he can command , locate, and eat innings, then i'll take it .

Jay
03-14-2012, 11:04 AM
If we want to be taken seriously as a wildcard contender, we need to acquire a legit top-of-the-rotation starter. This is the mediocre crap that I'm tired of waiting on.

Farsight
03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Cecil command has always be OK. He walks 3 batters per 9 innings while only striking out 6.30. If his velocity continues to stay around 86-88s, i would not be surprised to see him get knocked around, unless he learned to command the ball better (which he has never done in his career

bomber0104
03-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah that won't cut it

Toxeryll
03-14-2012, 01:15 PM
if this guy is anything more than a 5th starter for us, we should forget about contending

Krylian
03-14-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't like finese pitchers. It's just a preference. If Drabek is ready, and or Hutch, McGuire, Jenkins are ready soon...I say make room for them via Cecil.

ILDD
03-14-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't like finese pitchers. It's just a preference. If Drabek is ready, and or Hutch, McGuire, Jenkins are ready soon...I say make room for them via Cecil.

I'd rather give Cecil a few games - he deserves a shot at least. During this time one of the 3 guys you name plus Laffey can be auditioning for the spot in the minors.

8 games if Cecil is playing badly then he goes down and one of those guys comes up, playing with confidence.

jakedajewler
03-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Josh Towers 2.0

Kelly Gruber
03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
if this guy is anything more than a 5th starter for us, we should forget about contending

When were we thinking about competing anyway?

Cecil will be OK as a back-end guy this year, will go between decent innings eater and getting lit up by the big boys game to game. But yes, when they're looking to compete, this guy should be long gone.

mtf
03-14-2012, 05:31 PM
When were we thinking about competing anyway?

We aren't. Anthopoulos has told us they aren't either, since they didn't make a play for Fielder or any other big name free agent, which he says is only an option when they are ready to compete.

Cecil will be OK as a back-end guy this year, will go between decent innings eater and getting lit up by the big boys game to game. But yes, when they're looking to compete, this guy should be long gone.

I'm not enthusiastic about Cecil, but I'm even less enthusiastic about Blanton or Floyd. I see no reason why he shouldn't be the 4th or 5th starter coming out of camp (unless a major collapse occurs) and if he plays himself out of one of those spots, hopefully Drabek or Hutchison can come in to replace him.

TRIUMPHATOR
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Josh Towers 2.0

Thats just wrong. The only reason Towers got that many starts was because we had no other options. AA would never let that happen.

Besides, Cecil has proved that he can win-he needs a chance before writing him off. I am personally rooting for him.

Kelly Gruber
03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
We aren't. Anthopoulos has told us they aren't either, since they didn't make a play for Fielder or any other big name free agent, which he says is only an option when they are ready to compete.

Sounds good. I agree.

Farsight
03-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Why is everyone making Towers look like complete ****. In 2005, he was actually an above average pitcher, but other than that, he was a below replacement level pitcher but still, he had a good year or so

dballss
03-15-2012, 03:32 AM
we have drabek, hutch, and deck waiting, along with morrow, alverez, cecil, and mcgowen...i dare all 7 to struggle next year, i dare it...some1 gotta step up a little right?

FlakeyFool
03-15-2012, 08:26 AM
radar is overrated

wamco
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
If cecil flames out, have him as the 7 or 8th inning guy next year when/if coco and oliver are gone. At one time there was talk of him staying a closer when he came to the bigs, should help with his velocity.

3mikee_
03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Whatever happened to his arm strength anyway.. did he get surgery?

2009mvp
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Nope, just came down with sudden ****ball-eritis. If it was up to me I'd trade him while you still can.

Big Hurt
03-24-2012, 10:39 AM
We all love our Alverez but MY GOD he is a risk as a #3.
#4 and 5 are a complete CRAP shoot.
I would way rather go younger and send Cecil to AAA to prove he can still pitch.
Or, I would take Laffey over him at this point even.
Cecil will over-tax the bullpen and loose team momentum every time his turn comes up.
Why we didn't add a veteran like Berard or equivelant until our young stable is ready I do not understand???

mtf
03-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Nope, just came down with sudden ****ball-eritis. If it was up to me I'd trade him while you still can.

Yeah, this. I think he's going to have a rough year and he'll be the new Adam Lind & Aaron Hill. Someone the fans and organization take far too long to turn against but eventually will come to the realization that he is simply not good enough.

When Anthopoulos came in, he wanted to implement a new standard where every position was occupied by a potential all-star. Somewhere along the line economics (seemed nicer than just calling them cheap) paired with naive hope became just as important.

dballss
03-24-2012, 10:53 AM
the farm better be ready cus once the reason starts mcgowen is on a tight leash, might be sent down as early as 5 games, cecil and alverez first 5-10 starts will make or break their season too...all 3 are HUGE question marks

rockbottom2010
03-24-2012, 12:29 PM
more like David Purcey 2.0 lol