PDA

View Full Version : The Magic basically giving Dwight complete control of the team

ManRam
03-13-2012, 12:07 PM
This...is...scary....

Basically, they're willing to let Dwight pick and chose players that they can reasonably get (already did that with Big Baby...look how that turned out) but more importantly are giving him firing power over the coach and the GM!?

Look, I don't care if they fire Otis, but I wish they'd do that as a front office decision, and not letting this bumbling idiot decide it himself because he's a spoiled brat who wants everything his way.

I will be irate if Dwight decides to fire Stan, even if it means Dwight stays. That is pathetic.

I guess my question is, has a team ever given a player this much saying power in team matters before? Even better yet...has a team ever given a player this little deserving of this power this exact power before? I feel like we're being run by a bunch of clowns...

The Orlando Magic's strategy for the moment on Dwight Howard, according to sources close to the process, calls for spending the next 48 hours or so making one last hard push to acquire the sort of difference-maker that would encourage Howard to commit his long-term future to the team that drafted him in 2004.

If no newcomer is acquired by Wednesday, sources said, Magic officials plan to spend the final 24 hours before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline evaluating all of their trade options and then deciding Thursday whether to stick to their long-standing desire to roll the dice and keep Howard beyond the deadline or make the best available trade.

As part of this process, one source said, Orlando will continue to seek a "definitive answer" from Howard about his future and hold out hope that he'd at least agree to exercise the option for next season on his current contract to give their marriage at least one more year. But Howard, according to associates, is determined to become a free agent in July in order to have complete control of his future and get to one of the top two destinations on his wish list: New Jersey or Dallas.

The Magic will thus have to decide Thursday if they can bear to keep Howard past the deadline, as owner Richard DeVos wants, and expose themselves to the possibility that the 26-year-old could walk away for nothing in July -- a la Shaquille O'Neal in the summer of 1996 -- or make the best possible trade they can make this week at the 11th hour.

Magic officials have been telling teams for weeks that they intend to keep Howard at DeVos' behest. The thinking there, sources said, is that the Magic still like their chances of changing Howard's mind -- believing that a successful playoff run or his deep roots in the Orlando community will ultimately make it hard to leave -- better than anything they can get in a trade.

To hold firm on that position, though, Orlando would have to be prepared for the worst-case scenario of Howard signing in free agency with the team of his choosing and leaving the Magic with no compensation for their franchise player.

One source said that DeVos, now 86, has come to regard Howard "like a son" and remains determined to give their relationship every chance of continuing.

One source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that the Magic have promised Howard that they will add a quality player before Thursday's deadline and that Howard can decide the fate of both GM Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy at the end of the season if he signs an extension. Bucks swingman Stephen Jackson, frustrated in Milwaukee, is available and sources say he and Howard have talked about playing together.

All indications are that Magic team president Alex Martins, not Smith, is presiding over attempts to keep Howard in Orlando.

Sources confirmed a ******.com report from earlier Monday that the Magic have continued to pursue Golden State's Monta Ellis as a complement to Howard. ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported Feb. 29 that Orlando had targeted Ellis as an ideal player to try to pry from the Warriors as a means of placating Howard.

But sources close to the situation told ESPN.com on Monday that the Warriors remain uninterested in parting with Ellis unless the trade lands Howard in Oakland. Golden State and Houston are at the top of the list of teams willing to go for a so-called "rental" trade for Howard this week, with no guarantee that the NBA's reigning defensive player of the year will stay beyond the end of the season.

In the proposed deal, sources said, Hornets center Chris Kaman is the best player who would have been headed to Golden State, with the Warriors also required to take back Magic forward Hedo Turkoglu while shedding Dorell Wright and out-of-favor center Andris Biedrins. The Warriors, sources said, have no interest in such a swap.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Warriors have been far more focused Monday trying to assemble a workable trade scenario to acquire center Andrew Bogut from the Milwaukee Bucks as opposed to engaging the Magic in trade talks, since Orlando is intent on acquiring Ellis to keep Howard.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7678132/sources-orlando-magic-making-push-placate-dwight-howard

I will let Matt Moore (Hardwood Paroxysm's lead writer/CBS) sum up my thoughts to a tee.

This is such a bad, bad idea.

ESPN reports that as part of theMagic's increasingly embarrassing desperation to keep Dwight Howard, the team has offered to let him decide whether to fire head coach Stan Van Gundy and GM Otis Smith.

One source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that the Magic have promised Howard that they will add a quality player before Thursday's deadline and that Howard can decide the fate of both GM Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy at the end of the season if he signs an extension.

viaSources -- Orlando Magic making push to placate Dwight Howard - ESPN.

Really? This is where we're at? Really?

If this report is true, and I'm choosing to not believe it because I just can't fathom any professional organization acting this spineless, even in sports, it would be an incomprehensibly pathetic move by the Magic. Dwight Howard knows more about basketball than you or I do in all likelihood. But he's 26 years old. You don't let 26-year-old centers decide who stays and who goes in your organization. You just don't do it.

If you don't feel that Van Gundy's .650 winning percentage is good enough, fine, fire him. Consult with Howard on who he wants. If you think Smith has made a mess of the team by bringing in players Dwight likes, the same mechanism you're pursuing, fine, fire him. But don't surrender your authority to one player. There will be another Dwight Howard in Orlando, just like there was another star after Shaq.

The idea is that the Magic have to offer this in order to counter the "Have the store" approach that the Nets are offering. And in that case, the Nets are lacking in the guts department as well. Dwight Howard is the best defensive player in the league over the past four years, the best center in the league by miles, and by all accounts, a very good person who is suffering from an ego trip under tremendous pressure and acclaim.

But don't give Howard the authority to fire a man who doesn't work for him, and don't surrender your own organization's dignity just to keep a half-decent hook shot, some dunks and some blocks. You have to draw the line somewhere.

If this report is inaccurate, the Magic ownership group should come out swinging against it, because it paints them in the worst of lights. Being indecisive or unable to build a champion around Dwight is one thing. This is a whole other thing that extends far beyond basketball.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/17768043/report-magic-are-willing-to-let-dwight-howard-decide-on-van-gundy-smith

haggis
03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
:laugh2:

Oh lord.

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
This is ridiculous. Unless he's MJ in his prime, he's not worth the problems that come with him holding the Magic hostage.

This is the same guy who wanted to play with S-Jax and VC.

LongIslandIcedZ
03-13-2012, 12:12 PM
This makes the Magic look pathetic. I understand Dwight is a top player in this league but there comes a point where you gotta cut him loose. Try your hardest to get something for him and if there is nothing there you let him walk. No one is bigger than the team.

Hawkeye15
03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
why would you give complete control to a guy who wants to bring in Stephen "the cancer" Jackson? The Magic need to fire Otis and trade Dwight to the Nets

PC
Still have no clue why he wants to play with Jax

shep33
What's truly scary is that the Magic are going to be run by a 26 year old who skipped college for the NBA. That's almost as bad as Chaz the bartender

waveycrockett
Too little too late

da ThRONe
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
They have completely miss handled this situation. Why wait til 3 days before the trade deadline to try and pull of a big trade? Especially knowing that if you can't pull off something you will then have to turn around and try to trade your franchise player or lose him for nothing. How can any organization where people get paid millions a of dollars a year be run this poorly?

Sadds The Gr8
:laugh: ****in morons. He's leaving...****ing trade him.

Chronz
Better than how that hockey guy treated with Tmac

justinnum1
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
terrible decision

Swashcuff
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
The Magic just need to let Dwight expire so he sign with Philly. :D

ManRam
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah...this is awful. I know a lot of Magic fans love Dwight at an unhealthy level, but I'm not one of them, and I think this is beyond awful.

Otis may or may not deserve to be fired, but the bottom line is if you think he deserves to be fired, decide it among yourselves (the front office) and do it. Don't let a mentally fickle, spoiled, bratty and childish 26 year old decide for you.

SVG has changed a ton of things about his coaching methods. He yells and screams less, he's less negative, he hasn't had a technical all season (if I heard that right the other night)...and he's doing a great job. It's OBVIOUS this team is more worried about off-the-court things some games, yet he's led this team to a top 5 record in the league. He's done a great, great, great job...and he has since he's been at Orlando.

If Dwight decides to fire Stan, even if it means he stays, I will be irate. That's awful. Pathetic.

Baller1
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM
This is ridiculous. I'm legitimately shocked... There's so many things wrong with this.

Just trade Dwight, he's becoming a cancer himself.

jmoney85
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM
hes getting traded... im conviced now... they are trying everything they possibly can before thursday

Hellcrooner
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Ok, I dont want any part of Dwight on the lakers knowing this.

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Watch SVG come to the game with a shaved mustache.

Reporter: "Stan why'd you shave the 'stache?"
SVG: "Dwight told me I needed to... Oh and Sjax is now the coach"

But in all truth, just trade him already. This is truly scary for Orlando fans. Players are idiots, they typically don't know what's best for the team.

Had the Lakers listened to Kobe, they'd have Jkidd over Bynum right now.

ManRam
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM
hes getting traded... im conviced now... they are trying everything they possibly can before thursday

They're doing anything and everything they can to keep him right now...not trade him. I've felt for a while that they'll extend this whole thing past the trade deadline...whether they convince to stay via idiotic things like this, or whether they somehow make a run in the playoffs, or whether they pull off a big trade to help the team...but either way, I do think they genuinely think they can convince him to stay.

I mean, what other stupid ownership group would bend over backwards like this for a player so undeserving of that?

Like I said a few days ago, I will be shocked if he's traded...and that's not because I'm a homer and praying that's the case...it's because nothing that's been reported lately says he will be traded.

Baller1
03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Who do the Magic trade to bring in Jackson, if that's what the case happens to be?

waveycrockett
03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
What's truly scary is that the Magic are going to be run by a 26 year old who skipped college for the NBA. That's almost as bad as Chaz the bartender

Pretty sure Lakers have had a man with only a highschool diploma calling shots over there also

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Who do the Magic trade to bring in Jackson, if that's what the case happens to be?

Probably Redick. I don't get why they'd trade Rhyno. Nobody wants Turk, Jrich, or Big Baby's contracts.

29$JerZ
03-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Trade him with whatever awful contracts you have before he further ruins the team.
This is pathetic from the Front Office but with how much of a fail the lockout was with ho
Helping stars be retain what choice do they have?

DoMeFavors
Dwight did say he wanted more control over the team, I think after Orlando found out they couldnt trade for any player Dwight wanted they told him he can have complete control. He will be a Net in 2 days!

shep33
Pretty sure Lakers have had a man with only a highschool diploma calling shots over there also

Kobe does not call the shots in LA. If he did, we would've traded Bynum + Odom for Jermaine O'neal or KG.

Remember when he wanted to "ship Bynum's *** out".... well he was wrong there.

Baller1
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Probably Redick. I don't get why they'd trade Rhyno. Nobody wants Turk, Jrich, or Big Baby's contracts.

God that'd be so dumb. Reddick has played so well this year, and has become much more than just a sharp shooter.

I'm in awe at the Magic front office.

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Even as good as he is, Dwight isn't worth this fiasco. No player is.

ManRam
03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
The only player I'd trade for Stephen Jackson is Chris Duhon...

Even if it means keeping Dwight. **** Dwight.

lakerboy
03-13-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm a huge huge huge Kobe fan and even I wouldn't even give him that much in L.A.. This is a really, really, tough job.

Orlando is a like a boy clinging to his girlfriend, getting desperate bec he knows she is leaving.

shep33
God that'd be so dumb. Reddick has played so well this year, and has become much more than just a sharp shooter.

I'm in awe at the Magic front office.

I'm just speculating though. I don't know who else they'd want. Milwaukee is essentially trying to give Sjax away, and nobody wants him or the two years left on his deal.

ManRam
I wish I had to work these past two days...luckily I have to work tomorrow and Wednesday. This is all so stressful. I just wanna pull an Eric Cartman and freeze myself until Thursday night.

sep11ie
This didn't work out too well for the Cavs...

Sinestro
03-13-2012, 12:28 PM
This is like a bad unhealthy relationship with the Magic not understanding they're being dumped....

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
The only player I'd trade for Stephen Jackson is Chris Duhon...

Even if it means keeping Dwight. **** Dwight.

I agree, Sjax would be the worst move the Magic can make right now. Unfortunately Duhon's contract is too small... but I know what your thinking, Sjax really isn't worth the talent of a guy like Redick, Rhyno... heck he's probably not even as good as Turk lol

thekmp211
03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
the front office needs to talk sense into ownership. i understand this guy is older and doesn't see himself surviving a rebuild...but that doesn't excuse being selfish and short-sited. if he really cares about his franchise he will listen to reason. this is potentially disastrous.

Baller1
03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
I feel bad for Orlando fans. This whole thing has gotten ugly.

fresh prince
03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
They have completely miss handled this situation. Why wait til 3 days before the trade deadline to try and pull of a big trade? Especially knowing that if you can't pull off something you will then have to turn around and try to trade your franchise player or lose him for nothing. How can any organization where people get paid millions a of dollars a year be run this poorly?

Salary does not always equate to competence. The Orlando Magic are a prime example of that.

Weezy
Wow... Dwight sold his soul to the devil. LMAO.. joking.

Trade him Orlando.. this isn't even worth it anymore.

Chronz
Dont see the big deal, Magic Johnson got his coach AND his backcourt partner axed. Dwight is for all intents and purposes, the Magic Johnson of the Orlando Magic. There is no other player like him, you bend over backwards to keep him, unless it means sabotaging the team with long contracts you cant afford without Dwight. Trading for Glen was a stupid move, its not going to change anything and it downgraded your talent base. Thats not going to convince Dwight. Neither will Monta IMO but at least hes close to being a star.

ManRam
03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
the front office needs to talk sense into ownership. i understand this guy is older and doesn't see himself surviving a rebuild...but that doesn't excuse being selfish and short-sited. if he really cares about his franchise he will listen to reason. this is potentially disastrous.

Agreed. Hard to call an old man who has done all he could (financially) to win selfish, but he may very well prove to be selfish.

If he can't convince Dwight to stay, he NEEDS to let the FO rebuild...for the fans...for the franchise...for everyone. You can't get rid of a Dwight and expect to contend right away. And that's what he wants.

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Make the easy play... trade him to the Nets while getting rid of some bad deals.

Occams razor

waveycrockett
03-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Kobe does not call the shots in LA. If he did, we would've traded Bynum + Odom for Jermaine O'neal or KG.

Remember when he wanted to "ship Bynum's *** out".... well he was wrong there.

He's had a way larger say in how things are run since his trade demand to the Bulls.

Weezy
03-13-2012, 12:34 PM
I wish I had to work these past two days...luckily I have to work tomorrow and Wednesday. This is all so stressful. I just wanna pull an Eric Cartman and freeze myself until Thursday night.

I do feel bad for you guys. No fan base deserves this garbage. I am losing a lot of respect for Dwight also... I never expected this out of him.

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:35 PM
His nickname should be General Zod... not Superman

ManRam
03-13-2012, 12:36 PM
http://deadspin.com/5892881/

D12 fan
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
The Magic ownership is pathetic and desperate,trade him already.

smith&wesson
i really dont think dwight would ask for stans head. stan is a good coach and howard must be aware of that.

if he asks for otis's head it really wouldnt be such a bad thing... and howard is more valuable to that organization then their gm. it is kind of crazy to give a player that kind of control, but when your gm sucks any ways and your desperate to keep your star player why not humour him and let him feel he has this control for a while.

shep33
He's had a way larger say in how things are run since his trade demand to the Bulls.

Outside of his tirade in the summer of 2007, he's not asked for anything. If they listened to him the Lakers wouldn't have traded Odom for nothing, and not re-up'd Shannon. He asked for help in the form of a ridiculous trade (Bynum for Kidd, or LO + Bynum for one of KG or JO).

justinnum1
terrible precedent to send

smith&wesson
03-13-2012, 12:39 PM
The Magic ownership is pathetic and desperate,trade him already.

I really dont think they are pathetic.. the gm has made questionable signings trying to apeas the star player but what would you have him do when his hand is forced ?

ManRam
03-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Kobe got his way with the whole parting of Shaq and LA. He basically forced the team to choose him or Shaq, and they chose Kobe. That's a bit different than this. And as great and at times volatile as he was, Phil and company did a great job of keeping him in check most of the time. There was a lot of tough love...and nothing Orlando is doing right now is tough love.

Aust
03-13-2012, 12:40 PM
This is pathetic on so many levels. It reminds me of the Cavs giving Lebron a bunch of power before he bolted.

The Magic are in denial. Ship this toxic waste and try to get as much expiring contracts and picks as you can

Rockice_8
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
This makes the Magic look pathetic. I understand Dwight is a top player in this league but there comes a point where you gotta cut him loose. Try your hardest to get something for him and if there is nothing there you let him walk. No one is bigger than the team.

Exactly. . . /Thread

DoMeFavors
If they dont trade him all this tension and media attention will continue into the playoffs and be a distraction and if he walks Orlando fans will be very angry and it will be just like Shaq.

Sinestro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyHTU8tg_0

Baller1
03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
http://deadspin.com/5892881/

:laugh:

Jesus...

DoMeFavors
03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Like someone above said I remember in 2010 Cavs GM left, then Mike Brown was fired because LeBron wanted a coach who won a championship and they hired Byron Scott.

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Kobe got his way with the whole parting of Shaq and LA. He basically forced the team to choose him or Shaq, and they chose Kobe. That's a bit different than this. And as great and at times volatile as he was, Phil and company did a great job of keeping him in check most of the time. There was a lot of tough love...and nothing Orlando is doing right now is tough love.

True, but I think people forget that Shaq was demanding $30 mill a year, which was absurd for being out of shape and clearly on the decline. He had a good year left in Miami, but in the end the Lakers chose the younger star who was also cheaper. Not saying Kobe didn't have a part in that, he wanted out if Shaq was still there, but again, he was a FA so he tested the market, LA could've kept Shaq and let Kobe go the Clips.

They were both to blame though, no question about that. At the end the Lakers still made a tough decision, I mean Shaq was still the best center in the NBA.

Kuya_Clive
03-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Magic look desperate with a move like this, it is pretty clear that Dwight wants to leave so trade him or let him walk instead of giving him the keys to the franchise.

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyHTU8tg_0

Haha man, the greatest line ever. Off topic, but Zod will be the villain in the new Superman movie

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
I hope everything works out for Magic fans, this must be a nightmare :(

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Manram this will cheer you up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ1vVrQQIK0

oak2455
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM

thats funny

rapjuicer06
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Disgusting...just trade the guy and move on. This is embarrassing. Talk about trying to prevent a baaaaad break up

ManRam
03-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Oh Javale...you're always good for a laugh!

Jarvo
03-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Just trade the man! He wont win a ring anyway.

macc
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM

Yes because they haven't been doing anything prior to these last three days :facepalm:

ManRam
03-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Stephen A is about to be on ESPN...he's about to GO IN on the Magic...

ManRam
03-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Yes because they haven't been doing anything prior to these last three days :facepalm:

Yeah. I ignored that one. It's been very clear that they've been calling around not just over the past few days, but really the past few months. As the deadline approaches, the deals will happen. Rarely to big trades happen way before the deadline. Teams are gonna wait as long as they can 9 times out of 10.

gotoHcarolina52
03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Mikhail Prokhorov ‏ (@Fake_Prokhorov)

If is true rumor that Magic of Orlando have allow Dwight Howard to run team, then Net fans don't hold breath. I am not surrender power.

:laugh2:

macc
03-13-2012, 01:05 PM

haha no doubt

Dstmccoy
03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=shep33;21319336]This is ridiculous. Unless he's MJ in his prime, he's not worth the problems that come with him holding the Magic hostage.[QUOTE]

Exactly Shep, maybe only MJ in his prime --
this should never happen. And even if it does, it can never be made known to the public (team, coach and GM).

ManRam
03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
And on cue...the Magic have refuted this.

@BQRMagic
Magic statement refuting ESPN report: "The only person(s) who have the final say on coaches and management is the Orlando Magic ownership."

I really hope this all isn't true. I really just wouldn't be surprised either way.

Just survive the next two days, Orlando! :pray:

Metsboi69
03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
This looks so horrible for Orlando, just trade the guy, or let him leave a a FA but your coming off looking terrible.

SMH!
03-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Ok, I dont want any part of Dwight on the lakers knowing this.

Why? Because the Magic are giving control to Dwight, to try to persuade him to stay, how would that effect his play at all if he came to LA or even his attitude? Wtf

gotoHcarolina52
03-13-2012, 01:12 PM
They need to trade him and get it over with. They're looking more desperate and pathetic with every passing day.

waveycrockett
03-13-2012, 01:13 PM
And on cue...the Magic have refuted this.

I really hope this all isn't true. I really just wouldn't be surprised either way.

Just survive the next two days, Orlando! :pray:

I'm pretty sure Dwight doesn't even want final say at this point

Raph12
03-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Gotta do what ya gotta do... This situation with Dwight could affect this franchise for the next 5-10 years.

Aust
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Stephen A says Ric Bucher knows what he's talking about :rolleyes:

kjoke
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Wait........

Ric Bucher reported this?

I have second thoughts

Mcdoh
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
wow.. magic is desperate.. this will let howard ego really big... just trade howard and get something good in return..

ndfightirish12
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
this is rediculous..im starting to hate the magic more and more every day..what a disfunctional organization..like stephen a said..when he gives you teams he clearly doesnt want to be there

310Casper
03-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Within a 1 year time span, Dwight went from being one of my fav players to one of my most hated and annoying players.

I actually hope he ends up miserable and rots on some team that will never get him a ring in his career (i.e. Nets, Bucks, Orlando, Charlotte, etc...)

waveycrockett
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Within a 1 year time span, Dwight went from being one of my fav players to one of my most hated and annoying players.

I actually hope he ends up miserable and rots on some team that will never get him a ring in his career (i.e. Nets, Bucks, Orlando, Charlotte, etc...)

You mad brah?

ManRam
03-13-2012, 01:25 PM

I hope he goes to NJ, and realizes the grass isn't greener on the other side. I will be rooting against him if/when he leaves...

Raph12
03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
I hope he goes to NJ, and realizes the grass isn't greener on the other side. I will be rooting against him if/when he leaves...

With DWill, a top 5 pick in a loaded draft, Lopez as trade bait, Morrow, Brooks, a say in player movement, a big shoe deal and blowing his brand up globally... I think he'd prefer it.

Eagles4Lyfe
03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
This is beyond pathetic and so damn desperate I dont even know what to say or think.
Just Wow

Carey
03-13-2012, 01:32 PM
This is crazy, Dwight is an outstanding player and i would have not blamed the Magic to hold on to him for the chance he might re-sign but now i say fire Otis and trade Dwight to the highest bidder regardless of where he wants to go. This is insane and the Magic fans dont deserve this.

MagicBucsSox
03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I can't imagine this being nothing more than a bargaining chip vs the nets. It's no way they can be such coward owners

MagicBucsSox
03-13-2012, 01:55 PM
wow.. magic is desperate.. this will let howard ego really big... just trade howard and get something good in return..

Lakers did the same thing for Kobe, don't be naive

da ThRONe
03-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Dont see the big deal, Magic Johnson got his coach AND his backcourt partner axed. Dwight is for all intents and purposes, the Magic Johnson of the Orlando Magic. There is no other player like him, you bend over backwards to keep him, unless it means sabotaging the team with long contracts you cant afford without Dwight. Trading for Glen was a stupid move, its not going to change anything and it downgraded your talent base. Thats not going to convince Dwight. Neither will Monta IMO but at least hes close to being a star.

I agree any FO should be working with their franchise player to get talent in. However this isn't that case for two reasons.

1. They don't appear to be "working" with Howard. It appears like he's running the show.

2. It's way too close to the deadline to expect to pull something of any worth off without being screwed. Every team knows the Magic are desperate and will exploit them.

Orlando has had all season to make Howard friendly moves and the best they could do was Big Baby Davis. The sad part is there's no guarentees any deal they do will ensure Howard won't leave.

The Magic have waited for to long now they have to take a last min deal to make Howard happy or to trade him days before the deadline. At least Dell Demps had the good sense to trade Chris Paul the minute he felt we had no chance of securing him long term.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Stephen Jackson for Redick and Orton? Thank you Howard! lol

Rivera
03-13-2012, 02:12 PM
If were going to give complete control of our team...at least give the control to the best player on the magic and the best player in the NBA:

Ryan Anderson

Im pretty disgusted by dwight hes gotta go!

LOOTERX9
03-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Embarrassing, the Magic are trying to force a player that does not want to be there to stay. If Howard's heart is not in it then just trade him. You don't want a player that does not really want to be there on your team orlando. Stop embarrassing yourselves

justinnum1
03-13-2012, 02:18 PM
knicks need to jump on SVG if he gets canned

shep33
03-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Woj

Y! Sources: Whatever the Magic do at trade deadline, Dwight Howard's still determined to sign with the Nets in July.

jmoney85
03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_dwight_howard_magic_nets_trade_031312

b_russ
03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
The Orlando Dwights trade Ryan Anderson for Johan Petro.

Summer 2012, Dwight Howard signs with the Brooklyn Nets.

LOOTERX9
03-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Woj

Y! Sources: Whatever the Magic do at trade deadline, Dwight Howard's still determined to sign with the Nets in July.

Woj is lying. he has no idea

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-13-2012, 02:48 PM
TBH, if I'm SVG and Otis I quit right now.

Iceman05
03-13-2012, 02:56 PM
anything short of Phil for SVG will be a B.S. move by Orlando

The goods
03-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Didn't cleveland do the exact same thing for lebron? It won't work but I commend them for trying somethin,personally you don't want a player thinking he's bigger than the organization if he stays they'll live to regret it.

Mr Wonderful
03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I agree that teams should keep their star player(s) in the loop about moves, but to give them outright control makes no sense. Especially with a player that's proven to be mentally fragile.

I'm guessing Howard will stay, and opt out at the end of the year. No team will offer Orlando a sensible trade for him right now seeing how outlandish the situation has become. He's 26, and wants an off-season to get jocked like all the stars did.

They'll throw some crap pointless trade together to make him feel like he's doing something, fire Otis at the end of the season when Howard leaves, and start over again. Penny and Shaq will come out of retirement for 1 last shot, they'll recruit Nick Anderson after realizing they need an outside scorer....huaaaaaa

Deemerc
03-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Let's go nets

Valkyrie
03-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Orlando could have gotten Brooks/Lopez/1st before the season started. But now that Brooks has panned out well, the Nets record is ******, and Dwight will sign with them anyway, they arean't going to do that. Orlando is a joke.

MagicHero3
03-13-2012, 03:24 PM

a high school diploma yes but 5 rings? hell no.

nate2usmc
03-13-2012, 03:30 PM
This is sad but more pathetic. Only Kobe and MJ should command such power. It's more than likely Dwight is gonna leave Orlando (which is dumb), why look even weaker before the inevitable breakup?

MagicHero3
03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
If they dont trade him all this tension and media attention will continue into the playoffs and be a distraction and if he walks Orlando fans will be very angry and it will be just like Shaq.

that wont make us angry. what makes us angry is speculation, the magic FO and journalists printing lies. If he walks for nothing, we saw it coming and honestly we'll be glad the drama is over more than anything.

nate2usmc
03-13-2012, 03:34 PM
TBH, if I'm SVG and Otis I quit right now.

This.

ichitownclowni
03-13-2012, 03:38 PM
What diva. If I were a magic fan I would switch teams. Because with him running it things are going downhill fast

MagicHero3
03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
if i were dwight id be like "can i fire YOU, alex martins?"

Chazm
03-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Come on guys. This is all speculative. Most likely none of this was offered to Dwight. And if it were true (which I doubt) why blame Dwight?
He was offered something, can't blame him for the FO offering him something stupid.

I doubt he gets traded by the deadline. Chances are the magic bring in a player that'll be overpaid or someone that D likes, but at the same time sucks.

Valkyrie
03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Off topic but I don't get why Magic fans hate the Heat so much. That's what I've observed anyway. They are both in the same state and theres not a bad history between the two or anything. I won't be shocked if some jump the bandwagon though.

MagicHero3
03-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Off topic but I don't get why Magic fans hate the Heat so much. That's what I've observed anyway. They are both in the same state and theres not a bad history between the two or anything. I won't be shocked if some jump the bandwagon though.

i dont hate the heat except for when we're playing them.

see you tonight Heatles!

Chazm
03-13-2012, 03:54 PM

I don't hate the Heat. When they play I generally want them to lose because we are looking up at them in the standings but I don't hate them.
IMO, a lot of Magic fans on this forums are not very knowledgeable. There are a handful that are and post on here regularly but for the most part I see some idiotic post in the magic forums.

Valkyrie
03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
I don't hate the Heat. When they play I generally want them to lose because we are looking up at them in the standings but I don't hate them.
IMO, a lot of Magic fans on this forums are not very knowledgeable. There are a handful that are and post on here regularly but for the most part I see some idiotic post in the magic forums.

Any fan base has dumb fans.

MagicHero3
03-13-2012, 04:00 PM

are you a magic fan? i dont see that many bad magic fans, hell, most of them i see are pretty level headed. Like valk said, everyone has their dumb fans...but i def think this forum has a good amt of down to earth Magic fans. Now, if we're talking about NET fans KNICK fans (no offense to either team), they def have some real ignorant fans on here.

Chazm
03-13-2012, 04:00 PM

Any fan base has dumb fans.

Very true. I'm a cubs fan too!
The more I think about it, we have some knowledgeable magic fans here but the fans that I know here in Orlando (friends and bar people) are pretty dumb.

dtmagnet
03-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Magic need to trade Dwight for the best available package, rid yourselves of this embarrassment of a person.

ManRam
03-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Stephen Jackson for Redick and Orton? Thank you Howard! lol

If that happens you need to send him a hand-written thank you note.

That would be awful for us :laugh2:

ManRam
03-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I agree any FO should be working with their franchise player to get talent in. However this isn't that case for two reasons.

1. They don't appear to be "working" with Howard. It appears like he's running the show.

2. It's way too close to the deadline to expect to pull something of any worth off without being screwed. Every team knows the Magic are desperate and will exploit them.

Orlando has had all season to make Howard friendly moves and the best they could do was Big Baby Davis. The sad part is there's no guarentees any deal they do will ensure Howard won't leave.

The Magic have waited for to long now they have to take a last min deal to make Howard happy or to trade him days before the deadline. At least Dell Demps had the good sense to trade Chris Paul the minute he felt we had no chance of securing him long term.

Yeah. From what I can gather, there is very little "working together" here. It's Dwight holding the team hostage because they won't trade him. That's as much the ownership's fault as it is his, if not more, but this team is hamstrung by his wants right now. He and Otis don't even talk...so it's hard to say those two are working together.

netsgiantsyanks
03-13-2012, 04:32 PM
well damn. they'll do anything to keep him, it's like that guy from don't be a menace who said he'll suck loc dog's dick if he gave him directions to crenshaw. this is obviously much more serious, but damn.

for those who don't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-_KlY5WaE

ManRam
03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Stan Van Gundy: "I really don't give a damn about getting fired ... If they want to fire me to please somebody, fire me."

Boss!

Yams
03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
What would you prefer Dwight keeping his mouth shut and dipping at the end the season while the Magic becomes the new cavs or hornets? I have a feeling that Dwight already told the FO he was going to leave but the FO didn't want to hear so thats when he went public with it. Did you actually think he was going to stay on a team that has no future? Orlando hamstrung itself with all the horrible contracts they signed in the past two years.

Don't get mad at him just because the Magic organization has no limits on how desperate they will get This is like if you were breaking up with your girlfriend yet she tells you that you can't breakup. In the meantime you move and try to be with other girls and everyone of her friends is calling you an ******* because your ex said that you didn't breakup.

If the Magic FO won't move on then why should they have your sympathy?