PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A claims Phil Jackson wants NY

NYSpirit1
03-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Tommy Beer ‏ @TommyBeer Reply Retweet Favorite Open
FWIW, Stephen A Smith on ESPN radio just now: "I know Phil Jackson wants to be here (New York)... If Dolan wants Phil, he can have him."

If this is true, the Knicks need to get him ASAP in the offseason.

He's the glue to this mess, I really believe that. A guy comes in as the greatest coach ever, with 11 rings, shows them to Melo and Amare, disciplines them and hopefully does for their career what he did for Shaq and Kobe.

D'Antoni's offense is horrible for Carmelo and Carmelo is going to be here for the next 5 years. The triangle fit Kobe and Jordan perfectly, it'll fit Carmelo perfectly.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
I would love to see the Zen Master back in the league. :clap:

kingsdelez24
03-12-2012, 11:41 PM
It would be a great move, too bad its not true

Raph12
03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
PJ coaching the Knicks would effectively end Lin-sanity; his triangle doesn't have any place for ball-dominant PGs...

naps
03-12-2012, 11:48 PM
PJ coaching the Knicks would effectively end Lin-sanity; his triangle doesn't have any place for ball-dominant PGs...

PJ>X1000000... Lin.

If Phil Jackson wants to coach the Knicks, their FO should be like "who **** is Lin?"

shep33
03-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Again I don't know if these guys can handle him. He's gonna call them out, and do it publicly. He's gonna mess with their heads to try and get them thinking the right way. He's going to absolutely get into Amare and Melo's face, and he'd probably throw JR off the team lol.

People think Phil's all calm and collected... As a Laker fan, I go back to the 2001-2002 WCF against the Kings. Shaq was playing lazy on defense, so Phil calls a timeout in the first quarter, something he never does. The entire purpose of this timeout was to give Shaq ****. He absolutely destroyed him and humiliated him infront of the team, Shaq started yelling back, but Phil just yelled louder.

They have to buy into what Phil's doing, otherwise it's useless.

C_Mund
03-12-2012, 11:50 PM

I'm pretty sure Linsanity ended against the Miami Heat.

Bubba313
03-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Omg please save us phil! Please!!!!

albertc86
03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Highly doubtful. Why would PJ possibly take this job? The Knicks aren't a contender. He hasn't been in that position before nor is he used to not having a superstar player. I don't see why he'd take the job after all he has accomplished.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Wait, Stephen A. Smith is claiming someone wants to go to NY. Get the **** outta here.

According to SAS, every player in every professional sport wants to play in NY.

Da Knicks
03-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Would be lovely, D'antoni has no clue!!!!

Raph12
03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm pretty sure Linsanity ended against the Miami Heat.

He still puts up numbers, when you got the ball in your hands as much as Lin does, you tend to get decent numbers... Phil's triangle would end that.

PJ>X1000000... Lin.

If Phil Jackson wants to coach the Knicks, their FO should be like "who **** is Lin?"

Agree 100%. I don't think very highly of Lin, I think he's more a product of the system than anything else.

If you get a chance at a HOF-level coach and you're current coach is Mike D'Antoni, you take it and you thank god for the oppurtunity.

justinnum1
03-12-2012, 11:57 PM
dont see it helping, he will get 10-12 mil per tho lol

Dankster
03-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Again I don't know if these guys can handle him. He's gonna call them out, and do it publicly. He's gonna mess with their heads to try and get them thinking the right way. He's going to absolutely get into Amare and Melo's face, and he'd probably throw JR off the team lol.

People think Phil's all calm and collected... As a Laker fan, I go back to the 2001-2002 WCF against the Kings. Shaq was playing lazy on defense, so Phil calls a timeout in the first quarter, something he never does. The entire purpose of this timeout was to give Shaq ****. He absolutely destroyed him and humiliated him infront of the team, Shaq started yelling back, but Phil just yelled louder.

They have to buy into what Phil's doing, otherwise it's useless.

Excellent post Shep and to be honest, this is exactly what the Knicks need. Mike D'antoni is considered a "players coach" primarily because he NEVER calls out his stars if they're playing lackadaisical or are completely straying away from the gameplan. This team needs more of an alpha male coach who will not hesitate to bench a star if he thinks they're causing more harm than good on the court.

At this point I say he's pretty much the only guy that the Knicks' FO should be zoning in on. He will immediately command the respect of every player on the roster, and basically with his coaching philosophies and resume, it'll be his way or the highway.

He's still one of the most beloved Knicks from his time here as a player and it would be amazing to see his career come full circle. At this point a new philosophy needs to be implemented in Gotham and he's pretty much the only guy that can turn this thing around (I'd say Sloan would be a close 2nd.)

CudiOnMyiPod
03-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Did you seriously compare Carmelo to Jordan and Kobe...

Phil would be great for them but Stephen A is an idiot and spews ******** all the time.

C_Mund
03-13-2012, 12:00 AM
He still puts up numbers, when you got the ball in your hands as much as Lin does, you tend to get decent numbers... Phil's triangle would end that.

Agree 100%. I don't think very highly of Lin, I think he's more a product of the system than anything else.

If you get a chance at a HOF-level coach and you're current coach is Mike D'Antoni, you take it and you thank god for the oppurtunity.

I agree, and I was trying to say the same thing but I didn't really elaborate. I was just saying that the whole "Linsanity" thing is over and done with. That's not to say he's finished, but now he's just Jeremy Lin: starting point guard. I do think, however, that Lin is young and smart enough to drink the kool-aid and could easily adjust his game IF the other players in a new system were to do the same.

LAKobeBryant
03-13-2012, 12:01 AM
melo won't be able do triangle

Draco
03-13-2012, 12:01 AM
He would have given up coaching the Lakers just to end up coaching the Knicks? Really? Is that kind of like Jordan playing with the Wizards in his twilight years?

blahblahyoutoo
03-13-2012, 12:06 AM

linsanity was over 8 games ago dude. where have you been?

anyway, i would love for phil to come in and watch little to no improvement.
melo isn't half the player that MJ is, or kobe for that matter.

knicks fans don't realize how flawed their lineup is with melo, and a declining amare.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Carmelo would take Phil's criticism. To me, Melo and Kobe are of the same breed and Kobe would advice the guy "Look, this is how Phil operates, look at my 5 rings bro".

Amare on the other hand is a lazy bum and Phil's first demand to the Knicks FO would be to trade him.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Btw, Phil likes big guards, so he would okay with coaching a guy like Jeremy Lin, who is a big PG.

Avenged
03-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Not sure they can learn the triangle offense, at least not quickly. They're going to struggle with it for a season or two but they would no doubt improve. It's just going to be a tough transition, but if Knicks fans are patient it might be worth it :p

Baller1
03-13-2012, 12:14 AM
That'd be pretty crazy, although I think PJ is overrated.

Fnom11
03-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Wait, Stephen A. Jackson is claiming someone wants to go to NY. Get the **** outta here.

According to SAJ, every player in every professional sport wants to play in NY.

this

stawka
03-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Phil Jackson would lose his mind coaching the Knicks. Not even his Zen skills would save him

Their two best players can't play a LICK of D. Their defensive anchor can't play O (with the exception of offensive rebounds and putbacks), they're too immature for a coach like Phil

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:37 AM
I think they have the personnel for the triangle in all truth.

Now the players roles are similar to the Lakers (in no way am I comparing them in terms of talent, or who's better, but the roles specifically):

Chandler- like Bynum
Amare- like Pau
Melo- like Kobe

The problem now like Avenged said, is they have to learn it and they have to identify proper spacing... no jacking. Kobe in the triangle would jack, but it was much more controlled then some of the games I've seen him play in this year.

All that being said, if Phil decides to come back, they gotta start over. Offensively everything changes. If your not going to do you job, and if Stat ain't going to rebound, Phil won't call him out to his face right away, but he'll go to the media, make fun of him first, then call him out in front of the team.

JR takes bad shots, well he's sitting down in an instant.

Phil plays it off as if he's lax, but when he's a hard ***, he's a major hard ***, and he'll let you know it.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-13-2012, 12:40 AM
I think they have the personnel for the triangle in all truth.

Now the players roles are similar to the Lakers (in no way am I comparing them in terms of talent, or who's better, but the roles specifically):

Chandler- like Bynum
Amare- like Pau
Melo- like Kobe

The problem now like Avenged said, is they have to learn it and they have to identify proper spacing... no jacking. Kobe in the triangle would jack, but it was much more controlled then some of the games I've seen him play in this year.

All that being said, if Phil decides to come back, they gotta start over. Offensively everything changes. If your not going to do you job, and if Stat ain't going to rebound, Phil won't call him out to his face right away, but he'll go to the media, make fun of him first, then call him out in front of the team.

JR takes bad shots, well he's sitting down in an instant.

Phil plays it off as if he's lax, but when he's a hard ***, he's a major hard ***, and he'll let you know it.

JR would be like Sasha. :p

shep33
03-13-2012, 12:45 AM
JR would be like Sasha. :p

Haha, or Shannon.

Aust
03-13-2012, 01:01 AM
The triangle fit Kobe and Jordan perfectly, it'll fit Carmelo perfectly.

:confused: On what grounds? Elaborate please.

I'd love for Phil to come back and stomp on the Knicks, displaying his authoritahhh. If anyone questions him, he can tell them to look at his rings and STFU
http://gretachristina.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bf68b53ef013484bc3d68970c-800wi

Marlin234
03-13-2012, 01:03 AM
I don't believe this rumor at all. I think Phil would seriously have a heart attack "trying" to coach this team. Lol..

My question is though. How would lakers fans feel about this if it did happen? I know I'd be extremely pissed. Like why would u leave YOUR team and start all over from scratch?

justinnum1
03-13-2012, 01:07 AM
steven a gets it right 1 in a thousand, he got the BIG3, but i dont think he's due yet for another....

abe_froman
03-13-2012, 01:33 AM
stephen a claims everyone wants ny,he's just playing to what his audience wants to hear as always

utl768
03-13-2012, 01:35 AM
phil jackson will never coach again in the nba

meloman1592
03-13-2012, 01:53 AM
Why the **** would Phil wanna coach the knicks????

This is coming from a knick fan...

justjames
03-13-2012, 04:16 AM
He might want to but his health probably wouldn't allow him to coach very long. His injuries didn't magically heal.

Cfrey
03-13-2012, 04:35 AM
Why the **** would Phil wanna coach the knicks????

This is coming from a knick fan...

you cant be serious?? there are multiple reasons lol..

and the first being that they are talented enough to win a title so he'd probably think he could get another ring if he took the helm (obvious answer)

HoodedSB
03-13-2012, 04:48 AM
Is that the nerdy one with the crazy eyes and the ugly ties?

Bic Boi
03-13-2012, 07:51 AM

He's the glue to this mess, I really believe that. A guy comes in as the greatest coach ever, with 11 rings, shows them to Melo and Amare, disciplines them and hopefully does for their career what he did for Shaq and Kobe.

D'Antoni's offense is horrible for Carmelo and Carmelo is going to be here for the next 5 years. The triangle fit Kobe and Jordan perfectly, it'll fit Carmelo perfectly.

oh, you mean the same guy that said that once the lockout ended, that T-mac would sign with the bulls, and that Lebron was signing with the knicks?

cool story bro:cool:

SAS is as credible as lebron is clutch with less than 20 secs left in a game

Rockice_8
03-13-2012, 08:44 AM
First of all if he comes back its to guide a contender to a ring. The Knicks are far from a ring right now. Second the most important piece of the triangle is a solid post passer who plays that role for them.

Phil Jackson might have wanted NY until he saw them play.

justinnum1
03-13-2012, 08:52 AM
melo will always play one way;)

oak2455
03-13-2012, 09:11 AM
I love the trolling Comical.......

Lakersfan2483
03-13-2012, 09:13 AM
I highly doubt Phil will be coming back to the league given his current health issues and his age. He was complaining last year about traveling on planes and the discomfort of having to fly out for so many road games. It is just a bad rumor to put out there.

Knicks21
03-13-2012, 09:25 AM
We are a disaster at the moment. Only coach that would want to coach us would be doing it for the money.

ttam68
03-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Stephen A says whatever he thinks will generate hype in the NY market.

BigCityofDreams
03-13-2012, 11:00 AM
That'd be pretty crazy, although I think PJ is overrated.

Why do you think he's overrated?

PhillyFaninLA
03-13-2012, 11:25 AM

2 things about what you are quoting.

Twitter has at best 5% credibility to me and should not be much higher to anyone that values facts.

A Twitter name Tommy Beer has 0 credibility, maybe I should post on facebook that Pepe Sanchez will be signed and starting over CP3 for the Clippers and Dereck Rose has moved to center because that would be as credible as either Tommy Beer or Twitter let alone both.

Celticsfan2007
03-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Twitter has at best 5% credibility to me and should not be much higher to anyone that values facts.

A Twitter name Tommy Beer has 0 credibility, maybe I should post on facebook that Pepe Sanchez will be signed and starting over CP3 for the Clippers and Dereck Rose has moved to center because that would be as credible as either Tommy Beer or Twitter let alone both.

umad bro?

The goods
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't know I think if phil wanted to coach there he'd coaching them by now lol I have heard that phil wants to do something with the knicks but its more of a management,GM type of the thing,but I can see him coaching them,that's the type of coach that they need somebody with some rings,somebody they can respect,shaq had the same problem his whole career,he needed somebody he had to respect ie phil,and riley,they might need the same thing because its a lot of ego's on that team.

PhillyFaninLA
03-13-2012, 12:03 PM
umad bro?

No and my post does not show that I am. Your response shows you post what is popular and not your thoughts. Nicely done trying to say I'm something I'm not and doing it in a way that can only show your lack of ability to think for yourself and post cliche popular trending things that are unintelligent.

smith&wesson
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
it would be a great move for newyork. phil will bring diciplin.

every one will have a role and will accept them. new york has players that can play in the triangle. that team yells "we have the tools" and they need a guy who knows what to do with them.

IF THIS IS TRUE, phil is old and i dont know if he wants to come deal with the mess that is called new york right now. he could easily sink with the ship.

smith&wesson
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM

twitter is just another way that rumours and news spread. its no different then these guys going out and saying the same thing on radio or t.v. if they spread an untrue rumour its no different then the ones they write about in the articles we read here. it hurts their credibility when they spread false info just the same.

grant it certain ppl are more credible then others. but alot of news seems to come out of twitter now a days. when news actually happends.

im not saying this is a true rumour. but you cant blame ppl for following rumours on twitter because the nba does infact promote it, and ppl in the media are constantly leaking information on twitter even if alot of it is crap. but whats news in sports until something actually happends ? most of it is all just rumours any ways.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2012, 12:26 PM
if they trade Stoudamire for His Spaniard friend who knows the triangle and can stand Melo shooting 30 times a game because he is used to it and sign Fa Mr Kardashian may actually work-...........

Da Knicks
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
if they trade Stoudamire for His Spaniard friend who knows the triangle and can stand Melo shooting 30 times a game because he is used to it and sign Fa Mr Kardashian may actually work-...........

If the lakers would trade Pau for Stat i would do it without any hesitation!:speechless:

joeym
03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't believe this rumor at all. I think Phil would seriously have a heart attack "trying" to coach this team. Lol..

My question is though. How would lakers fans feel about this if it did happen? I know I'd be extremely pissed. Like why would u leave YOUR team and start all over from scratch?

they would probably feel the same as bulls fans when Jackson left them to coach the lakers....

fresh prince
03-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Jim Buss.....

Jealous brother mad Phil is tapping sis.

LAKERMANIA
03-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Here is a pros/cons for Knicks fans in advance about Phil (let's say he becomes Knicks Head Coach):

-Learning the triangle is tough for a lot of players in the nba, the triangle will absolutely make Melo and Amare play perfectly together.

-The triangle isn't good for a PG, the triangle runs itself like on autopilot, no PG is needed, Lin will get his stats but it will be difficult for him to improve while running the triangle..

-Patience is needed, the triangle takes time, it takes years of losing while under the triangle until everyone is on the same page. Players will be moved based on whether or not Phil thinks they can play under the triangle..

-In the short term, Phil will be very frustrating, he will play garbage players more, will not play players he doesn't like even though they can still be valuable, will not play rookies unless he has no choice, doesn't like young players, likes veterans. Will criticize in public often, however, it is well worth it in the long term.

I personally dont see it happening, but if Phil is the next Knicks coach, then kudos, if Phil can stay healthy (big if) the triangle offense would be perfect for the Knicks..

If the Knicks are interested in the triangle, then coaches like Kurt Rambis and Brian Shaw are still available who will use the triangle.

LAKERMANIA
03-13-2012, 01:02 PM
If the lakers would trade Pau for Stat i would do it without any hesitation!:speechless:

Wow.. Stoudemire is that bad this year? :speechless:

bmd1101
03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
umad bro?

Do you bother to read or do you post until it happens to fit somewhere? :facepalm:

blastmasta26
03-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow.. Stoudemire is that bad this year? :speechless:
Yes.