PDA

View Full Version : The Lakers should keep Gasol

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
This article hit the nail on the head.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lakers-smart-trade-might-not-always-best-trade-185107350.html;_ylt=AogoPD0NDfN2Yi55PKn_le68vLYF

The Lakers still have two skilled seven footers down low. How many teams can say that. They may not be as impressive in the regular season, but as Boston proved two years ago, if Bynum, Gasol and Kobe divide shots evenly...they can upset any team in the West.

Gasol is an important player, because he not only defers to Kobe, but also has an ability to create. He is efficient, he is smart and not many players of his size posses those intangibles.

Talent isn't everything: look at how the Spurs manage to win games purely based on fundamentals, smarts and teamwork. There is no reason the Lakers, with their personel, can do the same.

So if you Laker fans really want to trade Gasol for some flashy perimeter guy or an undersized big, careful what you wish for.

sep11ie
03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Shhhhh, don't help them out...

LAKobeBryant
03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
guards are more important than bigs, why have 2 big and no1 to pass to them or score outside paint

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
guards are more important than bigs, why have 2 big and no1 to pass to them or score outside paint

Strange comment by a fan of a franchise which has won its past five championships because of a strong presence in the paint.

CB29
03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
they have em but they're not winning that well with them.. It'll be very unlikely since Pau isn't on his game mentally with the lakers... Also, it'll open up bynums game a little more if pau's gone and they can get a decent pg in return.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
they have em but they're not winning that well with them.. It'll be very unlikely since Pau isn't on his game mentally with the lakers... Also, it'll open up bynums game a little more if pau's gone and they can get a decent pg in return.

When the game slows down in the postseason, you'll understand what I mean. This Lakers team is more suited for the playoff grind...people need to keep that in the back of their head.

Hellcrooner
03-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Strange comment by a fan of a franchise which has won its past five championships because of a strong presence in the paint.

More like ALL of the rings

Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Pau

Rndy
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Gasol is soft trade that scrub to Chicago.

shep33
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Problem with the Lakers is they severely lack depth. I made a thread a while back noting how the Lakers probably have the worst 4-12 roster in the NBA. When you take away their big 3, I think Barnes is the only other player with a PER of 10. That's quite amazing.

Lowest bench scoring team in the NBA by a long shot, the next closest team (Clippers) still averages 3-4 more ppg, which is a huge disparity.

Worst 3 point shooting team in the NBA

Lowest production from the pg position in the NBA, and at the SF position.

Lot's of holes to fill on that team. Amazing that they've somehow managed to be the 3rd seed out west. But that changes by the day.

Jenceman
03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Grab a point guard without giving up Gasol. Most of the problems solved right there.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
And as a Spurs fan I do feel foolish 'helping out'...but it seems the Lakers will stubbornly try to trade Gasol regardless. Unless they get someone like Dwight or another elite player...it won't make them any better than they are now.

But at least now you still have the chemistry between Gasol, Bynum, Fisher and those guys playing with Kobe. A big trade will mean the Lakers will have to change their game plan very fast.

I really think the Lakers have a shot to win it all...and they can relish and excel being in an underdog role.

Avenged
03-12-2012, 06:47 PM
If the Lakers don't trade any of their bigs, everyone else doesn't really have any value. They're not going to win a championship with this current squad so they need to make some moves.

The Lakers record is deceiving when they can't win on the road.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Problem with the Lakers is they severely lack depth. I made a thread a while back noting how the Lakers probably have the worst 4-12 roster in the NBA. When you take away their big 3, I think Barnes is the only other player with a PER of 10. That's quite amazing.

Lowest bench scoring team in the NBA by a long shot, the next closest team (Clippers) still averages 3-4 more ppg, which is a huge disparity.

Lot's of holes to fill on that team. Amazing that they've somehow managed to be the 3rd seed out west. But that changes by the day.

It's not like the Shaq/Kobe Lakers had a lot of depth. The combination of Gasol and Bynum can still do a lot of damage when used correctly.

It starts with Kobe being more of a creator than a scorer, however.

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 06:51 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lakers-smart-trade-might-not-always-best-trade-185107350.html;_ylt=AogoPD0NDfN2Yi55PKn_le68vLYF

The Lakers still have two skilled seven footers down low. How many teams can say that. They may not be as impressive in the regular season, but as Boston proved two years ago, if Bynum, Gasol and Kobe divide shots evenly...they can upset any team in the West.

Gasol is an important player, because he not only defers to Kobe, but also has an ability to create. He is efficient, he is smart and not many players of his size posses those intangibles.

Talent isn't everything: look at how the Spurs manage to win games purely based on fundamentals, smarts and teamwork. There is no reason the Lakers, with their personel, can do the same.

Youth and athleticism tend to be overrated by NBA fanboys, and with Jim, Chaz, and Jesse, that's who is now running the Lakers.

So if you Laker fans really want to trade Gasol for some flashy perimeter guy or an undersized big, careful what you wish for.

This is PSD, where the trade is king. Even in championship seasons, people around here seem to want to trade even more than they want to win.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 06:52 PM
If the Lakers don't trade any of their bigs, everyone else doesn't really have any value. They're not going to win a championship with this current squad so they need to make some moves.

I think they can beat anybody with this team, if Bynum and Gasol are utilized well enough. Miami still doesn't have the Lakers' size up front.

This Lakers team doesn't have the flair of Jacksons squads...but in an ugly grind out postseason matchup, I take their savvy over OKC's youth.

Their size will overwhelm my Spurs (as much as I hate to admit it) and Dallas seems to be even more disarray now than LA.

Don't underestimate your shot...the Lakers are right there. They just need to understand they have a huge advantage if they keep Gasol and utilize their size.

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 06:52 PM

All sixteen, in fact.

raiderNlakerfan
03-12-2012, 06:53 PM
I love gasol but he is 32 making like 18 million this year. At one point sooner or later ur gonna have to move him. Y not do it now while his trade value is still a "A" oppose to a "B" or "C" later

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 06:53 PM

The last five championships were won without a good PG.

raiderNlakerfan
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
That GS rumor would be a steal for us. Pending curry can stay healthy

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Youth and athleticism tend to be overrated by NBA fanboys, and with Jim, Chaz, and Jesse, that's who is now running the Lakers.

This is PSD, where the trade is king. Even in championship seasons, people around here seem to want to trade even more than they want to win.

I figured people would start to understand, with the Knicks losing with the Melo, STAT and Chandler and all. Too much talent can be disastrous.

Last year, even Brian Cardinal played a key role on a championship team. Go figure.

raiderNlakerfan
03-12-2012, 06:55 PM
The last five championships were won without a good PG.

You sir are wrong. Were they won with a elite PG? No but fisher was indeed very good defensively and offensively.. Go back and watch te tapes and see how huge d fish was for us.

raiderNlakerfan
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Fisher NOW is a liability on the court but his decision making and clutch play is still needed.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
I love gasol but he is 32 making like 18 million this year. At one point sooner or later ur gonna have to move him. Y not do it now while his trade value is still a "A" oppose to a "B" or "C" later

So? Dirk played his best ball last year at 33. Doesn't mean a damn thing. Gasol is a skilled seven footer. Most teams don't even have one of those.

The Lakers have TWO.

Gasols game just isn't as 'sexy', but he is definitely not soft...guarding Dwight straight up in the 2009 finals proved that.

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Is it more important to open up Bynum's game, or to win? Pau is statistically the better postup player, yet Bynum already gets the bulk of the postup opportunities, relegating Pau to the perimeter (thus the slight decline in his numbers). Doesn't it make more sense to maximize your strengths than to merely make Bynum look good?

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Is it more important to open up Bynum's game, or to win? Pau is statistically the better postup player, yet Bynum already gets the bulk of the postup opportunities, relegating Pau to the perimeter (thus the slight decline in his numbers). Doesn't it make more sense to maximize your strengths than to merely make Bynum look good?

Bravo :clap:

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Poor 3-point shooting and PG production wasn't a problem for the previous coach. Gasol is not the problem. The coach is.

shep33
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
It's not like the Shaq/Kobe Lakers had a lot of depth. The combination of Gasol and Bynum can still do a lot of damage when used correctly.

It starts with Kobe being more of a creator than a scorer, however.

I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree.

Derek Fisher 6-7 years ago lol > Derek Fisher now

Gimme Rick Fox, Robert Horry, Brian Shaw, Devean George, Glen Rice (for that one year) over the guys we have now.

Again the Lakers are by far the worst bench scoring team in the NBA, they average 20 ppg... to put that into perspective, James Harden averages like 17-18ppg by himself, Jamal Crawford around 15 ppg.

I hope we can grab a pg without giving up Pau

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I agree with JayW, they really only need to pick up an athletic pg that can play d. They have 9 million dollars and picks. Hopefully they can work some Magic. Pau is the perfect complimentory star. He is selfless, and he puts up with Kobe's crap. Which can't be easy. You wont find to many guys like that

shep33
03-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Poor 3-point shooting and PG production wasn't a problem for the previous coach. Gasol is not the problem. The coach is.

I'm not saying Gasol is the problem, I'm giving out statistics on how bad the Lakers surrounding group is around Kobe, Pau, and Bynum.

As much as I don't like Brown, the Lakers are at the bottom of the league in a number of categories. I can't put that all on the coach.

I cannot blame Mike Brown for Derek Fisher getting blown by on defense, or being unable to make a layup...Brown isn't to blame for Ron, Barnes, and Blake missing wide open 3's with nobody withing 10 feet of them.

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM

This kind of thinking means you're always going to have to create new holes to fill the old ones. The best GMs are more imaginative than "this is one of our best players so we have to trade him to fill our weakness".

That's not the ideal way to build a team. The kind of player the Lakers need don't cost a core player like Gasol. My perspective is that the team isn't going to contend this year anyway, but that a small move now that doesn't cost Bryant or Gasol (the vet core of their recent playoff runs) can set the team up to build with the draft for next season.

The formula that seems to be working in San Antonio is surrounding the championship-proven vets with lots of youth and talent to support them through the season. I expect the Spurs' vets to assume a larger role in the playoffs.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree.

Derek Fisher 6-7 years ago lol > Derek Fisher now

Gimme Rick Fox, Robert Horry, Brian Shaw, Devean George, Glen Rice (for that one year) over the guys we have now.

Again the Lakers are by far the worst bench scoring team in the NBA, they average 20 ppg... to put that into perspective, James Harden averages like 17-18ppg by himself, Jamal Crawford around 15 ppg.

I hope we can grab a pg without giving up Pau

I agree, but the West was much stronger then than it is now, with those tough Spurs, Blazers and Kings teams. Any of those squads would win a title had the ball bounced their way a few more times. No team in the conference is as good as the Spurs were in 2003 (and they had only one superstar in Duncan, mind you)

You still had an old AC Green and Horace Grant starting at PF...buth these guys played terrific roles as well for their team, because they did things that were not really shown in the STAT sheet.

In the current playing field I still like the Lakers chances, more so than the Mavs and Spurs. This squad would still take OKC to seven games...and personally I think they would beat them in a helper skelter, grinding series.

Don't underestimate age come playoff time. Kidd guarded LBJ at age 39 for crying out loud.

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 07:10 PM
You sir are wrong. Were they won with a elite PG? No but fisher was indeed very good defensively and offensively.. Go back and watch te tapes and see how huge d fish was for us.

Derek Fisher was not ever a "good" PG. He was huge with the occasional timely shot, and not turning the ball over, but that's it. Sorry to break it to ya.

John Walls Era
03-12-2012, 07:13 PM
They should keep Gasol. After listening to Kobe (he acknowledged he told Bynum they were going to give it to him), Kobe seems to see that they need to pound it in more. As long as Kobe has confidence in the big guys, Gasol and Bynum is very formidable and gives them a chance to win this year (a chance).

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
They should keep Gasol. After listening to Kobe (he acknowledged he told Bynum they were going to give it to him), Kobe seems to see that they need to pound it in more. As long as Kobe has confidence in the big guys, Gasol and Bynum is very formidable and gives them a chance to win this year (a chance).

If they figure it out, they will be my pick to come out of the West, regardless of what their record may be.

It's not like Kobe is intimidated if he missed out on home court advantage.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
As a Spurs fan I have always defended my teams 'old' players with pride here for 7 years now. You Laker fans should emphasize...and do the same.

It's pretty cool to root for a veteran team who has been through the wars. Good veteran teams have been winning more 'ships than young upstarts. Fact.

Just as sick as you guys are of the Spurs are still 'not being done', just as sick as I am that Kobe still seems too stubborn to let the new generation of players grab the limelight ;)

Emphasize, y'all.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-12-2012, 07:36 PM

That is the main issue. The Lakers cannot do that, for reasons that are obvious to most rational fans. It may happen with a game or two every once in a while. But consistently like the Spurs? No way. Just look at how the Lakers have lost games this season, and the first thing you would see is that smarts and teamwork are pretty nonexistent. Does having the worst bench in the NBA play a role? Yes, but with the skill they have with their big 3, it really shouldn't matter against average teams. If only they played to their strengths every game...

Law25
03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
And as a Spurs fan I do feel foolish 'helping out'...but it seems the Lakers will stubbornly try to trade Gasol regardless. Unless they get someone like Dwight or another elite player...it won't make them any better than they are now.

But at least now you still have the chemistry between Gasol, Bynum, Fisher and those guys playing with Kobe. A big trade will mean the Lakers will have to change their game plan very fast.

I really think the Lakers have a shot to win it all...and they can relish and excel being in an underdog role.

Its a sad day in lakerland. :( This Spurs fan has more fate in our roster than most Lakersfans. I dig the respect and feel the same on everything you posted.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
That is the main issue. The Lakers cannot do that, for reasons that are obvious to most rational fans. It may happen with a game or two every once in a while. But consistently? No way. Just look at how the Lakers have lost games this season, and the first thing you would see is that smarts and teamwork are pretty nonexistent. Does having the worst bench in the NBA play a role? Yes, but with the skill they have with their big 3, it really shouldn't matter against average teams. If only they played to their strengths every game...

As much as I respect Kobe, he does share some of the blame here. He is taking too many bad shots. Right now he can singlehandedly win or lose a game for them. He needs to be more of a facilitator.

Perhaps come playoff time he will flip that switch. And with that mindset, the Lakers can beat anyone in a seven game series.

The Lakers shouldn't focus on winning their division (even though they could easily do so, with the Clips floundering without Billups)...they should just work on fine tuning the offense.

Problem is, Brown just isn't a offensive minded coach. In Cleveland it was easy...LeBron did it all. But Kobe is a scorer...it's Browns challenge to convince Kobe...make him realize his presence is sometimes sufficient to open up the floor and create.

He doesn't need to take so many low percentage shots at this stage of his career. Kobe Bean Bryant has nothing to prove.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Its a sad day in lakerland. :( This Spurs fan has more fate in our roster than most Lakersfans. I dig the respect and feel the same on everything you posted.

Despite the fact that the Spurs have been playing better regular season ball thus far, I might add.

But no one listens to us basketball purists anymore (which most Spurs fans are, naturally). A Gerald Green dunk thread is more enticing. Flash. Pizzazz.

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
As a Spurs fan I have always defended my teams 'old' players with pride here for 7 years now. You Laker fans should emphasize...and do the same.

It's pretty cool to root for a veteran team who has been through the wars. Good veteran teams have been winning more 'ships than young upstarts. Fact.

Defending his reluctance to play rookies, Phil Jackson used to say "Championships are won by men, not boys."

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 07:53 PM
If only they played to their strengths every game...

You mean getting Pau the ball in the post more often instead of Bynum?

Hunter48MVP
03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Lakers should just keep Gasol for now and trade for Michael Beasley and Ramon Sessions

Law25
03-12-2012, 08:03 PM

I undertand what your saying but if Dallas last year showed us anything, its that if a team gets hot at the right time it can take you far. Lakers have very explosive career three point shooters looking to make their mark and if they get hot its over. Imagine not being able to double Kobe, or Pau, and Bynum. Look at the shooters we have shooting the three.

Goudelock (rookie) 38%
Blake (career) 39%
Kapono (career) 43%
Murphy ( career) 39% but this season 42%

We all know fisher hits big shots, and Ron can hit from their when focused, same can be said about Kobe. Do we still need a quick facilitating guard? yeah, but Im not counting out this team just yet, becuase when the game slows down your gonna need catch and shoot players, and Glock, Blake,Kapono,Murphy, and Fish are just that.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-12-2012, 08:03 PM
You mean getting Pau the ball in the post more often instead of Bynum?

Gasol/Bynum...I really don't care. They should be feeding their bigs every single time down the court, and playing off of them. Gasol should be in the post more, but hes stuck shooting 15 foot jumpers.

God forbid the Lakers make the game easy and play high IQ basketball. I guess it would make the regular season too boring. Can't say I haven't been entertained by Laker games this year.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 08:10 PM
God forbid the Lakers make the game easy and play high IQ basketball. I guess it would make the regular season too boring. Can't say I haven't been entertained by Laker games this year.

Same here, they are winning ugly mostly. But when they get it together they will be entertaining. The potential is still there.

Still they are within the top 4 of the West, and their main rivals are either in disarray (Mavs) or are still pretty young (OKC, Clips).

The Spurs are playing great ball, but I'm skeptical wether they can handle the Lakers size.

The team that really scares me is Memphis, when Randolph comes back they are deep, and loaded with talent. They could just stampede over everybody if they stay healthy and if Z-Bo plays like he did last year.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM
The Spurs MO however should also be the Lakers paradigm now, entertaining or not. Brown has worked under Pops wing he should know by now how to use a players strengths.

Pop has made guys like Gary Neal, Kahwi Leonard and Danny Green relevant role players. Who sees guys like that coming?

CB29
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM

pau is 5 years older than bynum... how long can he maintain his game especially at the salary he commands... you're being silly here... the lakers need a pg desperately cause they keep getting destroyed at that position.

smith&wesson
03-12-2012, 08:18 PM
the lakers problem is with debth. they have enought talent in the starting 5. they need help off the bench imo.

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Above all, let's not forget the Lakers are still 25-16 despite all these 'problems'. They just need to fine tune and focus on being ready for postseason ball.

This is a postseason team more than a regular season team. I really believe that, looking at the way they are winning games now.

Dstmccoy
03-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes, Keep Gasol and just retool.
Grab Sessions, Beasley and Give Arenas and (can't believe I'm saying this) Sheed a shot.

CB29
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Above all, let's not forget the Lakers are still 25-16 despite all these 'problems'. They just need to fine tune and focus on being ready for postseason ball.

This is a postseason team more than a regular season team. I really believe that, looking at the way they are winning games now.

they are a good team but its very unlikely that they can win a championship with this roster...

JayW_1023
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
they are a good team but its very unlikely that they can win a championship with this roster...

The West is wide open, and even though the Heat and Bulls are playing well out East, they can't match the Lakers size just yet.

MickeyMgl
03-12-2012, 08:49 PM
pau is 5 years older than bynum... how long can he maintain his game especially at the salary he commands... you're being silly here... the lakers need a pg desperately cause they keep getting destroyed at that position.

It's very reasonable to think Gasol will maintain his game for the two remaining years on his contract. By then, Bynum will be commanding that salary for much longer, and that's more of a worry, to tell you the truth.

JayW_1023
03-13-2012, 10:08 AM
the lakers problem is with debth. they have enought talent in the starting 5. they need help off the bench imo.

That's true, but come postseason, the starters will log heavy minutes anyway.

Chronz
03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
With that size + a semi prime Kobe. Lakers are still contenders.

Sadds The Gr8
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
With that size + a semi prime Kobe. Lakers are still contenders.

just can't see it. from 4-12 they're SOOOOOOOO ****in weak. They can definitely make a run and scare some teams, like how Phoenix used to, but I can't see them going all the way. Kobe's gonna have to take so much shots and play so much mins and I don't think he'll hold up on a consistent basis for the playoffs. Their depth just sucks.

Rockice_8
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Grab a point guard without giving up Gasol. Most of the problems solved right there.

Farmar is available if you want him. Farmar/Petro for that Odam TPE and you got yourself a PG. Come'on you know you want him back. Petro is a decent backup C for 10-12 min a night. Just enough to give Bynum a rest.

As for Gasol, NO they shouldn't trade him unless the right deal comes along. If the Rondo deal is true I'd do it but I don't like the Rockets deal for Scola/Martin or any of the trades like that if I'm LAL.