PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Lowry has bacterial infection.

waveycrockett
03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
You don't want to know the details, I don't want to know the details, no one wants to know the details. So let's keep this one short.

The Houston Rockets announced on Sunday that starting point guard Kyle Lowry will be out 2-4 weeks with a "bacterial infection."

Reports broke on Friday that Lowry was hospitalized in New York with an illness that included a fever and "abdominal distress" as symptoms.

The Rockets said Sunday that Lowry will be released from the hospital on Tuesday and that he will return to Houston to begin completing "a full course of antibiotic treatments."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/17735276/rockets-g-kyle-lowry-out-2-4-weeks-with-bacterial-infection

Hep is the only stomach/GI disease I've heard of that can cause someone to miss that amount of time. If it were something like ulcers they would of probably disclosed that.

NYKnicks4511
03-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks doc.

waveycrockett
03-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks doc.

Actually 2nd year med student but thanks

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Pau Gasol is jumping for joy as we speak.

Dankster
03-11-2012, 11:12 PM

Are you really a 2nd year med student?? Nice to know someone else is in my field--I'm a PGY-3 IM resident out in Long Island--I'll leave my hospitals name out for anonymity purposes...but good to know someone else is from my field.

Well you're still in basic sciences--I'm assuming you just began taking pathology/Micro and such courses before your USMLE Step I exam, so I should let you know that Hepatitis B and C could be possible reasons, but there are a myriad of Gastrointestinal issues it could be--anything ranging from a flare up of Chron's or Ulcerative Colitis to multiple ulcers sustained from something like Zollinger Eliisons syndrome. As you know Hepatitis A is the only self resolving type, with B and C being drastically different and can cause a range of issues aside from Right Upper Quadrant pains and generalized jaundice that the patient can suffer lifelong even with the use of inteferons and such medications as lamivudine (for Hep B) and Ribavirin (for Hep C.)

It's better not to hypothesize what it could possibly be as the list of differentials of what it could be is too large given the ambiguity of the symptoms spoken about in the column.

Mr_Jones
03-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Why's everyone jumping on the OP?

titties

RockTitanStro
03-11-2012, 11:18 PM

I'm not a med. student but I'm pretty sure hep. is a viral infection rather than bacterial and if I'm right viral infections are not treated with anti biotics but must run their course or for that matter become acute or chronic and never leave the system. I could be wrong though because I'm a vendor and what do we know.

waveycrockett
03-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Are you really a 2nd year med student?? Nice to know someone else is in my field--I'm a PGY-3 IM resident out in Long Island--I'll leave my hospitals name out for anonymity purposes...but good to know someone else is from my field.

Well you're still in basic sciences--I'm assuming you just began taking pathology/Micro and such courses before your USMLE Step I exam, so I should let you know that Hepatitis B and C could be possible reasons, but there are a myriad of Gastrointestinal issues it could be--anything ranging from a flare up of Chron's or Ulcerative Colitis to multiple ulcers sustained from something like Zollinger Eliisons syndrome. As you know Hepatitis A is the only self resolving type, with B and C being drastically different and can cause a range of issues aside from Right Upper Quadrant pains and generalized jaundice that the patient can suffer lifelong even with the use of inteferons and such medications as lamivudine (for Hep B) and Ribavirin (for Hep C.)

It's better not to hypothesize what it could possibly be as the list of differentials of what it could be is too large given the ambiguity of the symptoms spoken about in the column.
I was thinking possible sepsis secondary to Hep B or C. Disease of the douadenom or upper GI ulceration but the timetable of recovery and the symptoms I've seen related to ulceration are more chronic than acute

WOwolfOL
03-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Which one is Olivia Wilde and who is Omar Epps?

Dankster
^^Still a reach to come up to that conclusion. I just read that they're calling it a bacterial infection, this could be superimposed on some anomaly that lowry is suffering from, but whose to honestly know. If he is hospitalzed for 4 weeks, than yes he definitely has an issue. Most people hospitalized for that period of time are ICU patients, you're rarely going to see inpatients with that long of period of hospitalization for something relatively benign.

Who knows, but hopefully he'll be ok. Heavens forbid if it's one of the severe forms of Hepatitis' as B and C have the propensity of transforming into hepatocellular carcinoma (C more prevalent of course.) Good luck to Kyle he's from the Northeast region and his career has really taken off.

On a side note, I remember Dajauan Wagner's career was completely derouted from his GI issues--I think he was suffering from toxic megacolon from superimposed ulcerative colitis which required manual removal of his bowels. That basically ended his promising career at a young age.

Raph12
There go the Rockets chance at the playoffs (if this sidelines him for long enough)...

mzgrizz
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Then they most likely would not have discharged him with sepsis( infection of the blood and refers to bacteria). My guess is gall bladder infection and possibly pancreatitis. Hate to hear he's out and so sick. Get well soon Kyle
Could be diverticulitis.

Dankster
03-11-2012, 11:31 PM
^^Mr Grizz--definitely could be either/or also. Just goes to show you the GI system, comprising of everything from the oral mucosa all the way to the rectum- can lead to a million different type of pathologies the kid could be suffering from. Who knows but hopefully he makes a full recovery. Would be a shame if this slowed his progression.

the_jon
03-11-2012, 11:32 PM
My dad had hep C and had to take interferon and ribavirin for a year. Those meds actually made him way more sick than he was with just the Hep C so this could be really bad for Lowry if this turns out to be true. Not sure if it affects all people the same but I really can't picture anyone working out in any form while taking this stuff.

Could this also be appendicitis? I would imagine that would leave you out of action for 'about' a month and fever and abdominal pains are symptoms of appendicitis, correct?

VCaintdead17
03-11-2012, 11:33 PM
He plays so smart on the court, yet, seems like a complete dumb *** off the court.

waveycrockett
03-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Then they most likely would not have discharged him with sepsis( infection of the blood and refers to bacteria). My guess is gall bladder infection and possibly pancreatitis. Hate to hear he's out and so sick. Get well soon Kyle
Gall bladder infection i imagine he would likely have been in for surgery post infection. Pancreatitis is a possibilty too. Any type of bacterial infection that has you on bed rest for 2 to 4 weeks I tend to think the worst.

Dankster
03-11-2012, 11:36 PM
My dad had hep C and had to take interferon and ribavirin for a year. Those meds actually made him way more sick than he was with just the Hep C so this could be really bad for Lowry if this turns out to be true. Not sure if it affects all people the same but I really can't picture anyone working out in any form while taking this stuff.

Could this also be appendicitis? I would imagine that would leave you out of action for 'about' a month and fever and abdominal pains are symptoms of appendicitis, correct?

No definitely not appendicitis. Appendicitis is immediately treated with surgical removal-- a 45 minute simple surgery. Unless it got RUPTURED prior to the removal of it surgically, it could POTENTIALLY cause sepsis, but that's still a reach.

And sorry about your dad man. Those medications are quite rough and usually have quite the strong adverse effects in patients taking them.

As wavycrockett will see during his surgery clerkship in his 3rd year, appendicitis is a very simple diagnosis (Right lower abdominal quadrant pain that radiates to the umbilicus/belly button) is a very simple surgery with little complications if not ruptured.

Cano-Montero...
03-11-2012, 11:42 PM

same field as you also...nurse and taking up med school...

feel bad for lowry...now the gasol to houston would not be that good...

JLynn943
03-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Thread title is really misleading considering this is just pure speculation from the OP.

jrm2054
03-11-2012, 11:58 PM
That is gross

Aust
03-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Guys don't have to flame the OP, sheesh

I wonder if this affects his trade value, although Houston has claimed he's untouchable anyways

VANEXEL9
03-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Pau Gasol is jumping for joy as we speak.

oh please, give me gasol over some overrated guard any day of the week.
the only people who should jump with joy is us lakers fans.

bholly
03-12-2012, 05:14 AM
woah, woah, woah - so hepatitis is YOUR diagnosis, not something that came from any source?

change the ****ing title, man. your second year medschool whatever is fine for speculation later in the thread, but it isn't worth a topic of its own, especially when you aren't disclosing immediately that that's what it is.
that sort of amateur and unfounded speculation, about a potentially serious illness like that, doesn't help anything.

Sssmush
03-12-2012, 05:40 AM

I am a mere layman, but yet I feel compelled to point out that hepatitis A, B and C are all viruses, and the article clearly mentioned that this was due to a "bacterial infection."

It is of course possible that Lowry could have some kind of bacterial infection in his GI tract, maybe even something affecting his liver and possibly causing a kind of "hepatitis," in the strict sense of "inflammation of the liver."

However, hepatitis A, B or C? No. And there is no call for us to start speculating that Lowry is infected with any of strain of hepatitis. Again, mainly because the report clearly says "bacterial infection."

callydsz1
03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Wow this is terrible! http://www.utone.info/jpg1

Dankster
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I am a mere layman, but yet I feel compelled to point out that hepatitis A, B and C are all viruses, and the article clearly mentioned that this was due to a "bacterial infection."

It is of course possible that Lowry could have some kind of bacterial infection in his GI tract, maybe even something affecting his liver and possibly causing a kind of "hepatitis," in the strict sense of "inflammation of the liver."

However, hepatitis A, B or C? No. And there is no call for us to start speculating that Lowry is infected with any of strain of hepatitis. Again, mainly because the report clearly says "bacterial infection."

I hear you bud. My response was directed towards wavycrockett and it probably required secondary/tertiary thinking. Hep A self resolves it's something you can get from endemic regions like Mexico from drinking from their tap water and almost always self resolves.

And you're absolutely right, viruses are NEVER treated with antibiotics. To give you the most simple of examples--If a patient has Epstein Barr Virus (ie: Infectious Mononucleosis) we don't prescribe them antibiotics, rather just bedrest and to avoid any contact sports especially if their spleen is enlarged.

But like wavycrockett knows, Hep B and C can put a patient in an IMMUNOCOMPROMISED state---this specifically puts a patient at an increased risk of getting bacterial infections superimposed on their specific anomaly/pathology. It has nothing to do with the virus itself, rather the depleted immune state the body is put at because of the virus that allows for potentially a bunch of different bacterial infections to occur.

best example? Patient with HIV, as their CD4 count decreases (more immunocompromised state,) they're at an increased risk of a zillion types of bacterias or fungi that can co-infect with their HIV (MAC, Pneumocystis carinii Pneumonia, etc.) Those have to be treated by Antibacterials/antifungals and some even lifelong unless the CD4 count is raised to an appropriate level.

Sorry not trying to turn this into my own private medical board but I figured I'd clarify my statement a bit as it was more directed at Mr Crockett. And I agree with you (and many other posters,) the quote given is too ambiguous for anyone to give a definitive diagnosis. That's veritably impossible to come to any specific conclusion based on how vague the article speaks of his illness. Mr Crockett was just hypothesizing what it could be, and it potentially could be what he did state although no one can reach that conclusion definitively based on that passage written.

Ok, sorry mods for this lengthy explanation!

NoahH
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Good thing he isn't on my fantasy team

LAKobeBryant
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
lmao rockets are off lakers trading partner for now

BigDFan85
03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
He could just have a nasty case of the hersey squirts. I'm not doctor, but I did used to watch House.

Sssmush
03-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I hear you bud. My response was directed towards wavycrockett and it probably required secondary/tertiary thinking. Hep A self resolves it's something you can get from endemic regions like Mexico from drinking from their tap water and almost always self resolves.

And you're absolutely right, viruses are NEVER treated with antibiotics. To give you the most simple of examples--If a patient has Epstein Barr Virus (ie: Infectious Mononucleosis) we don't prescribe them antibiotics, rather just bedrest and to avoid any contact sports especially if their spleen is enlarged.

But like wavycrockett knows, Hep B and C can put a patient in an IMMUNOCOMPROMISED state---this specifically puts a patient at an increased risk of getting bacterial infections superimposed on their specific anomaly/pathology. It has nothing to do with the virus itself, rather the depleted immune state the body is put at because of the virus that allows for potentially a bunch of different bacterial infections to occur.

best example? Patient with HIV, as their CD4 count decreases (more immunocompromised state,) they're at an increased risk of a zillion types of bacterias or fungi that can co-infect with their HIV (MAC, Pneumocystis carinii Pneumonia, etc.) Those have to be treated by Antibacterials/antifungals and some even lifelong unless the CD4 count is raised to an appropriate level.

Sorry not trying to turn this into my own private medical board but I figured I'd clarify my statement a bit as it was more directed at Mr Crockett. And I agree with you (and many other posters,) the quote given is too ambiguous for anyone to give a definitive diagnosis. That's veritably impossible to come to any specific conclusion based on how vague the article speaks of his illness. Mr Crockett was just hypothesizing what it could be, and it potentially could be what he did state although no one can reach that conclusion definitively based on that passage written.

Ok, sorry mods for this lengthy explanation!

Well, my thinking is that since they said he should recover in two weeks on a full course of antibiotics, it is probably not something drastic like bacterial diverticulitis, or a chronic bacterial infection in the intestines, such as types of IBS or whatever. Something like this is possible though.

I would put global immune system comprimising infections like HIV extremely low on the list of possibilities, for various reasons, again including the report itself, and I'd assign viral hepatitis an even far lower probability of being the culprit.

If I was going to guess, I'd say that he managed to get some kind of bacterial dysentery, either from eating some bad sushi or street tacos or rotten restaurant food. That would seem to be the MOST likely possibility, although the two week timeframe does argue for the more severe infection (diverticulitis, IBS).
It's also possible that he got some kind of internal injury, for instance twisted or ruptured a part of the GI tract through rigorous exercise which then got infected, or is having some kind of bacterial ulcer thing.

Yeah... I don't know how some people came up with the hepatitis theory... that seems to be an extremely remote possibility. Based on the evidence we have, I'd assign it the same probability as the possibility that he was bitten by a rabid squirrel, or was exposed to radiation in a secret lab developing mutant spiders, either of which might conceivably have also compromised his immune system and indirectly led to a bacterial infection causing abdominal distress and requiring two weeks of antibiotics.

Sssmush
03-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Which is all a fancy way of saying that Lowry doesn't have hepatitis.

netsgiantsyanks
03-13-2012, 09:53 PM
my mom's a nurse, so i know stuff.

DodgerBulls
03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Who the hell know what he actually has since he has "fever and abdominal distress" as symptoms which are quite vague. Some of us know that abdominal pains are very difficult to diagnose because there are just too much referred pain as many impulses share too much pathways from the abdominal region of our body. Looking at just the duration of the disease with correlation with Hepatitis is not too exciting from people with a little background in med or basic study of microorganisms.

USMCLaker
03-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Can I weigh in on this too. I'm not a doctor but I played doctor with a female neighbor when we were kids.

rockets-fan
03-14-2012, 01:23 AM
oh please, give me gasol over some overrated guard any day of the week.
the only people who should jump with joy is us lakers fans.

lakers fans over value their players so much its annoying...lowry on the lakers would make yall a wayy better team and solve the pg issue you have. if anything lowry is underrated

Sssmush
03-14-2012, 03:44 AM
lakers fans over value their players so much its annoying...lowry on the lakers would make yall a wayy better team and solve the pg issue you have. if anything lowry is underrated

at least we can say that if he was on the Lakers he wouldn't have some kind of bacterial infection, which probably stems from improper sanitation in the Rocket's training facility or their kitchen.

Oh yes, it was all building to that. bounce pass to the cutter and SLAM *****

Sssmush
03-14-2012, 03:48 AM
Can I weigh in on this too. I'm not a doctor but I played doctor with a female neighbor when we were kids.

I mostly just play with a sexy female doctor.

asandhu23
03-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Too mucho info.

sp1derm00
03-14-2012, 03:54 AM
damn it's like an episode of house up in here

justjames
03-14-2012, 04:32 AM
damn it's like an episode of house up in here

Only if lupus is suggested and then summarily dismissed.

Sssmush
03-14-2012, 07:08 AM

MackShock
03-14-2012, 07:21 AM
i hope he isnt sitting out two weeks because of this.

#soft

MagicHero3
03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
:facepalm: at OP.

this makes me think several things

one- you like to plaster very innappropriate rumors about players bc you like the attention

two- you also have Hep

MagicHero3
03-14-2012, 08:46 AM
its NOT lupus!

rockets-fan
03-14-2012, 09:16 AM
at least we can say that if he was on the Lakers he wouldn't have some kind of bacterial infection, which probably stems from improper sanitation in the Rocket's training facility or their kitchen.

Oh yes, it was all building to that. bounce pass to the cutter and SLAM *****

immaturity at its finest