PDA

View Full Version : What players are worth trading the #1 Pick in the 2012 NBA Draft for?

Fresno
03-09-2012, 03:00 AM
Saw this topic on another website.

I can only name 7 players who'd be worth trading the #1 pick for.

LeBron James
Derrick Rose
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant
Blake Griffin
Chris Paul
Kyrie Irving

Its all up to perception, but I wouldn't trade the #1 pick for any other player.

Mochalman
03-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Rather trade #1 pick for Kevin Love over Griffin.

Mr_Amaziing
03-09-2012, 03:11 AM
Maybe Pau Gasol, Joe Johnson, Iggy
(Doubt anyone would do it tho)

I'll trade Perkins and our 1st rounder for the #1 pick :)

Westbrook - Harden - Durant - Ibaka - Davis
:D

itsripcity32
03-09-2012, 03:11 AM
Jeremy Lin

itsripcity32
03-09-2012, 03:12 AM
Iman Shumpert

tredigs
03-09-2012, 03:18 AM
Bynum, LA, K. Love, Wade and Westbrook come to mind.

Although Anthony Davis does have a great chance to transform a franchise. I'd take him over Kyrie Irving myself. And I'm pretty high on Kyrie.

Ebbs
03-09-2012, 03:21 AM
Dirk, LeBron, Wade, Durant, Melo, Rose, Paul, Deron Williams, Westbrook, Dwight, Kyrie, Griffin, Love, LA, Bynum.

Maybe more.

Deception
03-09-2012, 03:24 AM
You really put Kyrie on this list? Seriously you added LeBron, D. Rose, Dwight, Griffin, and you want to throw Kyrie in it? Don't get me wrong, I like what he brings to the Cavs, but in no way shape or form does he deserve to be in the same category as the players mentioned, yet..

Kyben36
03-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Alot more than that, the fact is with the first pick your drafting still based off their potential, look at how many first picks never worked out as planed. even though you say the certain ones obviously are, Rose, James, Howard, ect. ect. you forget the fact that the chances of the first pick becoming those players isnt allways that great, how about Oden, Bargnani ( solid but not great ) Bogut, Kwame Brown, Kenyon Martin.

first round picks are good value and typicaly turn out but there is also a good chance they dont. even though trading for guys like I stated about are obvious dos, you even have to consider the guys that maybe you typicaly would not. hell, bosh is a hell of a PF, but not a allstar go to player, but if you said I could have a sure thing in bosh or draft a rokie PF and lay on hopes and dreams he is the next KG or Griffin you still have to consider it.

the question is, even though you offer the first round pick for some of those players, how many teams would actualy except a trade of a 1st round pick for a player like Rose or James, I expect none. in fact, I would be willing to say finding fair value for the 1st overall pick in the draft is easier said than done, because eveyone values their players diferently

Kyben36
03-09-2012, 03:29 AM
You really put Kyrie on this list? Seriously you added LeBron, D. Rose, Dwight, Griffin, and you want to throw Kyrie in it? Don't get me wrong, I like what he brings to the Cavs, but in no way shape or form does he deserve to be in the same category as the players mentioned, yet..

thats the problem with this thread, is it has nothing to do with the players tallent but would they be worth trading for the first round pick. there are plenty of players I could name, almost one from each team that is worth the first pick. but it says nothing on their skill level.

LakersMaster24
03-09-2012, 03:30 AM
Dirk, LeBron, Wade, Durant, Melo, Rose, Paul, Deron Williams, Westbrook, Dwight, Kyrie, Griffin, Love, LA, Bynum.

Maybe more.

Why would anyone trade the 1st overall pick for Dirk? I wouldnt trade it for Wade either. Westbrook is not good enough either. Neither is Kyrie.

Monta is beast
03-09-2012, 03:44 AM
I wouldn't trade the number one pick this year for anyone other then LeBron, Dwight, Rose, or Durant. Mainly because you never trade big for small, and Davis is looking like he's going to be a superstar Center, which you don't find often.

RaiderKid318
03-09-2012, 03:57 AM
A lot of players because you never know what your gonna get from the draft.

Fresno
03-09-2012, 04:05 AM
thats the problem with this thread, is it has nothing to do with the players tallent but would they be worth trading for the first round pick. there are plenty of players I could name, almost one from each team that is worth the first pick. but it says nothing on their skill level.

Its all up to personal preference.

If you had the #1 pick in the 2012 Draft, which player(s) would you trade it for? Obviously it requires you to think as to the value of the prospects available compared to the player you're acquiring. The guys I mentioned to me are "no brainers" as to who I'd think would be worth acquiring.

For example, Dwyane Wade could make any team with the #1 pick a Playoff team the following season. However, is the value of getting a 30 year old Wade for the last 2-4 years of his "prime" worth more than acquiring an 18 year old player with a huge ceiling for improvement?

There is a reason why many scouts suggest the 2012 NBA Draft longterm will be one of the best in awhile and its because you have some really talented "kids" with a lot of upside to be Franchise players. I mentioned in the NBA Draft Forum that in my opinion I see 8 potential "Franchise players" in this draft.

Anthony Davis
Jared Sullinger
Harrison Barnes
Andre Drummond
Austin Rivers
Cody Zeller
Bradley Beal
Orlando Johnson

Raph12
03-09-2012, 05:08 AM
I'm actually curious to see whether or not he can gain enough weight to battle the larger bigs, yet maintain his quickness/footspeed. He is still really raw offensively, but I think he can be an instant-impact guy on defense.

It will be interesting to see who gets the #1 pick, that will determine what they do with it.

FarOutIos
03-09-2012, 05:32 AM

LeBron James
Derrick Rose
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant
Blake Griffin
Chris Paul
Kyrie Irving

Its all up to perception, but I wouldn't trade the #1 pick for any other player.

Like many of the other commenters... I disagree with your list. I think there should be quite a few more names on the list.

But the first thing to figure out is who the first pick will be, and how great do we think he will be. I assume it will be Anthony Davis and have him projected to be a great big man in the league.

So players that are similar in value are Bosh, LaMarcus Aldrige, Al Horford, Kevin Love... etc.

Considering his position, I think it would be difficult to get to the Dwight, Durant, etc level. So I think trading for any of the top tier superstars would be a no brainer.

Trading for the similar players would probably be strongly suggested... depending on how a teams scouting department viewed the player... in this case Anthonly Davis.

This brings up the next point... who is trading for the player? If a team like my kings wins the first pick in the draft... I would hope we would trade the pick for Aldridge, Horford, Love type players. I would go on with this list, but there are quite a few names I would consider... not just big men, but PGs like Rondo, Deron... or SFs like Carmelo, Durant...

The key with my kings is that any player who the first pick is traded for would have to be relatively young... and fit in with the pieces we currently have as our building blocks.

Now if a team like the Nets gets the first pick in the draft... then that list grows greatly. I think age becomes less of an issue and current talent level becomes a greater factor. Players like Pau can be added to the next list, though I would not add them to the kings list. At 31 years of age, Pau only has a few good years left.

With the Nets, Pau and Williams could be the pieces needed to entice Dwight Howard to go to NJ if he hits free agency. The rookie would not be as big of a selling point. You can even drop off the talent level and include many more players to this list if NJ wins the first pick and tried to get Dwight to join the team... How about a player like David West...? Not really worth the first pick in the draft... but IF you can then get Dwight... How about Williams, West and Howard?...

loublue22
03-09-2012, 05:52 AM
I'm actually curious to see whether or not he can gain enough weight to battle the larger bigs, yet maintain his quickness/footspeed. He is still really raw offensively, but I think he can be an instant-impact guy on defense.

It will be interesting to see who gets the #1 pick, that will determine what they do with it.

He's not that raw at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYW5WuZt7Qo

Fnom11
03-09-2012, 06:42 AM
There's probably around 30 people worth trading the #1 pick for. When you trade a pick for a player you usually know what that players capable of while that #1 pick could mean anything from Micheal Jordan to Kwame Brown. You're trading away potential for for a player that's usually proven and you know what that player is capable of.

Wade, Bosh, Lebron, Love, Griffin, LMA, Gasol, Bynum, Howard, CP3, Dwill, Rose, Kobe, Dirk, Iguodala, Horford, Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Irving, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Amare, Melo, Parker, Manu, Eric Gordon(maybe), Cousins(potential is limitless, which is rare for big men), Wall, Gay, Randolph, other Gasol(maybe, probably not unless you need a solid center), also maybe Curry or Ellis.

With most of those players you know what you're going to get and have little risk while #1 draft picks bust quite often.

Edit- I know literally nothing about Anthony Davis so I don't know how good he is.

assisi805
03-09-2012, 08:23 AM
In the last thread I read about melo someone mentioned how putting melo on the hornets would make them a playoff team so I wondered if the hornets got the first pick and could trade it for melo how many people here would do it. I for one wouldn't but I am curious because like the main argument in here Melo is a proven commodity.

theheatles
03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
zero gms would trade either lebron, dwight, rose, wade, durant, etc for the #1 overall pick

Gram
03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Charlie V for the first overall pick and a trade exception. Get it done Joe D!

VinceCarter
03-09-2012, 01:31 PM

LeBron James
Derrick Rose
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant
Blake Griffin
Chris Paul
Kyrie Irving

I think I agree with all of them except Blake.

This. I'd take Josh Smith, Bosh, Ibaka and LaMarcus Aldridge over Blake too.

celtNYpatsHeels
03-09-2012, 01:44 PM

LeBron James
Derrick Rose
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant
Blake Griffin
Chris Paul
Kyrie Irving

Assuming that my team is the Bobcats and the pick is Davis...

Id add Love, Aldrige, Deron, Wade, maybe Bynum, maybe Westbrrok

bulldog312
03-09-2012, 01:47 PM
There's probably around 30 people worth trading the #1 pick for. When you trade a pick for a player you usually know what that players capable of while that #1 pick could mean anything from Micheal Jordan to Kwame Brown. You're trading away potential for for a player that's usually proven and you know what that player is capable of.

Wade, Bosh, Lebron, Love, Griffin, LMA, Gasol, Bynum, Howard, CP3, Dwill, Rose, Kobe, Dirk, Iguodala, Horford, Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Irving, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Amare, Melo, Parker, Manu, Eric Gordon(maybe), Cousins(potential is limitless, which is rare for big men), Wall, Gay, Randolph, other Gasol(maybe, probably not unless you need a solid center), also maybe Curry or Ellis.

With most of those players you know what you're going to get and have little risk while #1 draft picks bust quite often.

Edit- I know literally nothing about Anthony Davis so I don't know how good he is.

No way I even consider trading the 1st pick for a lot of these guys. Assuming that the team with the #1 pick is bad and not a decent team who just missed the playoffs and lucked out in the lottery, I wouldn't trade the #1 pick for anyone like Wade, Gasol, Kobe.

I also wouldn't trade it for anyone who is a good player but will never be a franchise player on a great team, such as Ellis, Randolph, Amare, Harden, Melo, Johnson, etc. In the NBA you almost always need a top 10 player to win a championship. One of the best ways to get this is a #1 pick. Sure, there is a good chance the #1 guy will be worse than someone like Joe Johnson or Eric Gordon, but where does that type of player get you (again, assuming you are a sucky team)? It puts you in NBA hell, a team that isn't quite good enough to make the playoffs or a 7 or 8 seed. That area where you aren't a threat to win it all but are no longer likely to get franchise players in the draft.

dalton749
03-09-2012, 02:55 PM
That's ridiculous u don't trade a proven talent for potential. U
trade potential for potential. One of these lottery picks plus a potential star like derozan +pick brooks + pick kemba +pick gordon +pick to name a few reasonable options

bulldog312
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
That's ridiculous u don't trade a proven talent for potential. U
trade potential for potential. One of these lottery picks plus a potential star like derozan +pick brooks + pick kemba +pick gordon +pick to name a few reasonable options

Again, you almost always need a superstar to win an NBA championship. There are very few exceptions. If you don't have one, or anyone who has a legit chance at becoming one, then yes, you do trade proven talent for stud potential. And probably more importantly, you don't trade it away. Now, if you are team that already has that superstar, then sure, you don't normally trade away quality guys for higher potential.

Kutchie03
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
everybody is really putting this year's #1 pick on a pedestal..

Rockice_8
03-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't trade the number one pick this year for anyone other then LeBron, Dwight, Rose, or Durant. Mainly because you never trade big for small, and Davis is looking like he's going to be a superstar Center, which you don't find often.

No way he's a Center, he's a PF. He's super lanky and he'd never be able to bang with the centers of this league. He's closer to a SF then to a C.

There are a ton of guys I wouldn't trade for the number one overall pick.

Superstars that I would trade for it though just based on the fact that their age is catching up to them. Dirk, Wade, Nash, those are the types of guys I would trade for the number 1 pick not because of talent but longevity.

bulldog312
03-09-2012, 03:19 PM
So if the Nets get it and will sign Howard, then that completely changes everything. It's no longer about getting a superstar.

Raph12
03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
So if the Nets get it and will sign Howard, then that completely changes everything. It's no longer about getting a superstar.

Then you trade Brook Lopez for a SF (maybe GForce or something) and game over...

PG - DWill
SG - Morrow/Brooks
SF - GForce
PF - Davis
C - D12

Dwight and Davis guarding the paint :drool:

PleaseBeNice
03-09-2012, 03:55 PM
notsureifserious.jpeg

Hellcrooner
03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Trading the first pick is never a good idea.
Ask Jazz bout Handing Magic Johnson to the Lakers for Almost bout to retire Goodrich...........

MrfadeawayJB
03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
the #1 pick in the next draft is expected to be a superstar and be just as good if not better than those guys listed

He115ing
03-09-2012, 04:10 PM
The power of Anthony Davis lies in his unibrow. As soon as he shaves it, his basketball prowess will vanish!!!!

Fresno
03-09-2012, 04:22 PM
the #1 pick in the next draft is expected to be a superstar and be just as good if not better than those guys listed

Pretty much.

I guess not many people on here follow the top college prospects until its actually NBA Draft time.

MickeyMgl
03-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Ditto.

Hitman21
03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
i would trade the #1 pick for Mike James in a heart beat oooobviously....but other than that.....my next pick would be Durant, hands down

Hitman21
03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
The power of Anthony Davis lies in his unibrow. As soon as he shaves it, his basketball prowess will vanish!!!!

lmao....seriously, what is up with that???

AA09-?
03-09-2012, 05:50 PM

:clap:

Birdmannn
03-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Its all an educated guess and there are many players that have already proven what they can do. If I held the 1st pick there are at least 20 or more players in the league I would be willing to trade it for.

Slimsim
03-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Iman Shumpert

Detroit and their fans sounds about right

Birdmannn
03-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Trading the first pick is never a good idea.
Ask Jazz bout Handing Magic Johnson to the Lakers for Almost bout to retire Goodrich...........

True. but didnt Magic admit he was only going to sign with a few certain teams.

theheatles
03-09-2012, 07:54 PM
LeBron James is the best prospect of all time, so him cming out of high school was a better prospect than anthony davis, jared sullinger, harrison barnes or whoever you got at #1, so why in the ****ing world would any1 ever consider trading a prime LeBron for a player that doesn't even have the potential of skill and talent than LeBron is at now...just stop

ManRam
03-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Who cares if he deserves to be mentioned with those guys...what matters is whether you think he has a better future on the horizon than Anthony Davis...and while I don't think he does, I do think it could end up VERY close. I mean, trading 2011's #1 overall pick for 2012's #1 overall pick really isn't that lopsided, is it?

It's tough, circumstances mean a lot. I'd take a sure thing over a potential question mark like Davis. I'd rather have a ton of NBA players over the next 4-5 years than Anthony Davis, but I'm not sure it's wise for whoever gets that pick to ever trade it for one of these sure things...

ManRam
03-09-2012, 09:50 PM

I agree with you to an extent with your logic. A known commodity is a safer bet. However, let's pretend a team like Charlotte gets that #1 pick. Why on earth would they trade that for a guy like Kobe Bryant, who is making like 30 million a season? That accomplishes nothing but bringing fans in I guess...but that would be franchise suicide. No reason for a young/crappy team to trade a #1 pick for an old and extremely expensive player. Trading that pick for guys like Gasol, Melo ($$$$), Manu, Ellis (because he's not a franchise player) and a lot of those other guys wouldn't make sense. That's not a recipe to rebuild...and whoever lands that pick will need to rebuild, or already is rebuilding, in all likelihood.

And Anthony Davis is a tremendous talent. Offensively he's raw, but he's supremely talented...and as dominant of a defender as I've ever seen in college with my two eyes.

realsportsfan1
03-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Then you trade Brook Lopez for a SF (maybe GForce or something) and game over...

PG - DWill
SG - Morrow/Brooks
SF - GForce
PF - Davis
C - D12

Dwight and Davis guarding the paint :drool:
How do you still get Anthony Davis in this scenario...

Raph12
03-09-2012, 10:32 PM
How do you still get Anthony Davis in this scenario...

He said if the Nets get the top pick and just "sign Howard" ergo keeping their assets, including the top pick, therefore you got Davis and Dwight on the same squad with DWill to set things up, a knockdown shooter in Morrow to spread the floor and a scorer off the bench in Brooks... If the Nets get the top pick and sign Dwight as a FA, Brooklyn will easily have the best basketball team in NY.