PDA

View Full Version : Parish on Bird, Magic, and a spat with MJ

69centers
03-09-2012, 12:09 AM
"What set Larry apart from Magic and Jordan was he wasn't an in-your-face leader like they were," Parish said. "He had too much respect for us. If you weren't having a good night, he was more inclined to encourage you, or not say anything at all.

"But Magic and Jordan would jump all over you."

In one of his first practices with the Bulls, Parish botched one of the plays and was amused to find Jordan jawing at him just inches from his face.

"I told him, 'I'm not as enamored with you as these other guys. I've got some rings too,' " Parish recalled. "At that point he told me, 'I'm going to kick your (censored for PSD).' I took one step closer and said, 'No, you really aren't.' After that he didn't bother me."

Link (http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7662366/big-3-final-run-stirs-bittersweet-memories-original-trio)

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Haha, MJ got owned!

Hellcrooner
03-09-2012, 12:14 AM
lol, you dont mess with the Chief.

DaVille
03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
you dont mess with the Chief.

you don't mess with the Chief.

Chronz
03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Lets see what MJ has to say about this.

The Final Boss
03-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Jordan is a *****. Always has been. Always will be.

Gritz
03-09-2012, 12:40 AM
He prolly lying about the last part
He prolly telling the truth about the last part

Birdmannn
03-09-2012, 12:40 AM
We now know why the Bulls were so good. The rest of the team was scared of Jordan if they lost.

tredigs
03-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Jordan is a *****. Always has been. Always will be.

Ironic coming from a guy with a Christiano Ronaldo sig.

LakersMaster24
03-09-2012, 12:43 AM
THE CHIEF!!!

As much trouble he caused for my Lakers in the 80's you gotta give it up for the All Time Great.

AnthonyTyrael
03-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Parish been easily 10 years older then MN, back then. It's just a matter of respect. And as he said, he won rings too, been a great center, on a great dynasty.

Swashcuff
03-09-2012, 06:43 AM

:nod: :clap:

naps
03-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Exactly, my thoughts. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

redwhitenblue
03-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Not quite sure how much of that 'story' I believe. Perhaps Parish pulled MJ aside after practice to talk to him about that, but I doubt it was said right then and there.

Ty Fast
03-09-2012, 08:51 AM
mj was a dick

YankeesR#2
03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
mj was a dick

Not only that but he has a Hitler moustache!

He's the only person alive I have seen with one.

Hellcrooner
03-09-2012, 09:11 AM

Cristiano is an amateur douchebag in comparison to MJ.

C-Style
03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Nice

chitown85
03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I am sure that if this really did play out that way, that MJ was talking about basketball, and not physically kicking his *****. Then, RP took it literally, because he is to dense to take it otherwise...I also believe it didn't quite play out like that, Robert P. acting like he was a gangster...please...smack yourself bum; YOU didn't win those rings; you were just a long for the ride. I use to respect his crusty ***; but after this not so much. It's like Bill Cartwright coming out and trying to stud up on Kobe (talent to talent), saying some ******** like, "I got rings too..."

jimmyb33
03-09-2012, 12:12 PM
I am sure that if this really did play out that way, that MJ was talking about basketball, and not physically kicking his *****. Then, RP took it literally, because he is to dense to take it otherwise...I also believe it didn't quite play out like that, Robert P. acting like he was a gangster...please...smack yourself bum; YOU didn't win those rings; you were just a long for the ride. I use to respect his crusty ***; but after this not so much. It's like Bill Cartwright coming out and trying to stud up on Kobe (talent to talent), saying some ******** like, "I got rings too..."

you really have no idea what you are talking about...please go watch some highlights of robert parish

Swashcuff
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
you really have no idea what you are talking about...please go watch some highlights of robert parish

At the time the Celts won their first title in the 80s Parish was arguably thier best player from a productivity POV. He was very instrumental in their title runs. He never won a title as the man but he played a major role in all of the Celts title runs.

Hellcrooner
03-09-2012, 12:25 PM

His user names hints at him being born on 85, probably he jsut barely remembers Hornets and bulls 40 year old parish.

So he clearly doesnt know what the F he is talking bout.

KingPosey
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Sorry Parish, I would guarantee, this is not exactly how it happened. I think we have all heard stories in HS about fake moments of toughness.

MickeyMgl
03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I've never heard Magic described that way. I've always heard of him as an encourager mostly, although he'd yell at Divac sometimes.

dannynoonan
03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Some coaches scream at you, it makes you better but the guy next to you cries like a baby and quits. That's sports.

Could it be that MJ saw that Parish didn't need that type of motivation? And that Parish is too stupid to realize the difference?

Horace Grant couldn't handle jordan pushing him, and yet MJ's pushing made a hall of famer out of Pippen. I wonder how many players bird pushed to reach their potential and became hall of famers.

i'm not saying EITHER way is right, but quit the bulls or give back your ring if you're so opposed to what is/was going on. or ***** about it 10 years later and claim you stood up for something wrong back then.

young eastwood
03-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Robert Parish is a HOF player Bill Cartwright isn't. There are so many stories like this about MJ. He punched Steve Kerr once in practice and Horace Grant said MJ frequently abused him. Not saying MJ is horrible but that's just who he was...

Ebbs
03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Well that's just foolish now MJ looks like a *****. Can't back down if you try to pull that card.

Supa
03-09-2012, 12:52 PM
This is just the way it is, the ultra competitive guys will carry the team to championship.

Larry Bird had said himself, he "would like to team with Kobe for the win, LeBron for the fun".

Consider the number of rings each have (Jordan 6, Magic 5, Kobe 5, Bird 3, Lebron 0), this seems to be true.

---

kozelkid

Personally I thought that suited more for his annoying ramblings about Lebron. :laugh2:

Matrix3132
Sorry Parish, I would guarantee, this is not exactly how it happened. I think we have all heard stories in HS about fake moments of toughness.

Nothing about the story is beyond belief, seems pretty typical. You're talking about fake moments of toughness is high school? Though you're prob posting from a cafeteria, this story isn't about high school, it's about the big boys, neither you nor I can relate.

smith&wesson
i dont know why ppl refuse to beleive this. mj is notoriously known for being a douche bag. you guys really think not one man stood up to him out of all those team mates he constantly yelled at ?? i beleive this. i beleive there are more players that stood up to him as well.

kozelkid
03-09-2012, 12:54 PM

We get it already, crooner. You're a super duper contrarian indie MJ hater. Tell us something we don't know.

kozelkid
03-09-2012, 12:55 PM
i dont know why ppl refuse to beleive this. mj is notoriously known for being a douche bag. you guys really think not one man stood up to him out of all those team mates he constantly yelled at ?? i beleive this. i beleive there are more players that stood up to him as well.

Is anyone saying otherwise?

Who cares. Whatever it was it worked and they won championships.

ewing
03-09-2012, 12:55 PM
I've never heard Magic described that way. I've always heard of him as an encourager mostly, although he'd yell at Divac sometimes.

Magic ran his team into the ground when he tried to the coach. People who worked with him said he just couldn't get why guys made mistakes b/c the game came so easy for him

ewing
03-09-2012, 12:58 PM

I know there is a very similar story involving Cartwright. MJ was a bully. Maybe the greatest player ever but a bully

lakers4sho
03-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Mj probably didn't bother afterwards because he saw that parish wasn't a soft *** unlike some of the other guys. If I'm a competitive player I would love such a guy on my team.

Hellcrooner
03-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I wonder why people cant accept that a sucesfull dude in his business can be completely an idiot on his behaviour.

No one is saying that Jordan wasnt a good player, only that his persona is a douchebag.

Another example, Kiss, Gene Simmons, is kiss a legendary band? yes, is he a douchebag? Yes.

Contrary example Hitler.
Was he a racist mother****ing dictator that killed millions of people , Yes.
go figure it seems in his personal life he was a kind person who was a vegan, loved art and animals.
does it make him less of a criminal? Nope.

bagwell368
03-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Not quite sure how much of that 'story' I believe. Perhaps Parish pulled MJ aside after practice to talk to him about that, but I doubt it was said right then and there.

Parish rarely talked or talks, he rarely acted out on the floor or pointed fingers. He was from the non trash talking era. The only time he really caved in to his anger is the time he threw Laimbeer to the floor. Lainbeer got up and did everything but go back for more. Laimbeer showed himself for the bully/coward he was. Thanks Chief!

bagwell368
03-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I wonder why people cant accept that a sucesfull dude in his business can be completely an idiot on his behaviour.

No one is saying that Jordan wasnt a good player, only that his persona is a douchebag.

It's well known that Jordan was a very in the face guy to play with in practice in particular. I bet Bill Cartright must have been razzed dozens of times by Jordan. If you wanted to win, he was good to be around, if you wanted to be comfortable go someplace else.

I think Magic was actually closer to Bird then Jordan behavior wise. He could be strident, but with that big smile and big personality he was also trying to pull you forward as much as kick you forward. Jordan just wanted to win - and there isn't a damn thing wrong with that. Bird was no shrinking violet and McHale in particular took a lot of guff from Larry because Larry thought (and he was right) that McHale could have been greater. To this day they have never been close - there is a lot of respect for what they did together - but they are not friends.

sammid21
03-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Another example, Kiss, Gene Simmons, is kiss a legendary band? yes, is he a douchebag? Yes.

Contrary example Hitler.
Was he a racist mother****ing dictator that killed millions of people , Yes.
go figure it seems in his personal life he was a kind person who was a vegan, loved art and animals.
does it make him less of a criminal? Nope.

I dont know if people know the difference between a Bully and a Douchebag. MJ was no Douchebag, he was a bully and an a-hole because he wanted to win which made him the GOAT. Maybe Hitleresque in a way, since he did want to advance the human race, yet he did it the wrong way, but ultimately with good intentions... in a way.

Douchebags are primadonna want to look good for the cameras trend setting metrosexual styling people.

MickeyMgl
03-09-2012, 01:44 PM
We get it already, crooner. You're a super duper contrarian indie MJ hater. Tell us something we don't know.

A person has to be a hater to recognize MJ was a douchebag?

Edit: OK, maybe he was just a run-of-the-mill a**hole.

sammid21
03-09-2012, 01:51 PM
A person has to be a hater to recognize MJ was a douchebag?

Edit: OK, maybe he was just a run-of-the-mill a**hole.

Agreed, run-of-the-mill a-hole. He just expected everyone to be on his level and pushed them to the limit. I probably wouldnt have wanted to play with him

chitown85
03-09-2012, 02:03 PM
At the time the Celts won their first title in the 80s Parish was arguably thier best player from a productivity POV. He was very instrumental in their title runs. He never won a title as the man but he played a major role in all of the Celts title runs.

Never the key man. He is not even on Scottie Pippens level IMO. Maybe I went too far slamming him, but I highly doubt he punked out MJ the way he is saying he did. I highly doubt it played out exactly the way he is saying it did.

Hellcrooner
03-09-2012, 02:17 PM
If Thomas is in Usa roster im not playing = Douchebag.

You have to get my friend ( still too young, still not in his prime, definetly still not worhty over the others) Pip into usa team and snubb Wilkins, Hakeem, Worhty, Dumars, Reggie mIller,Kevin Johnson ( and others) or im not playing = Douchebag.

The goods
03-09-2012, 02:25 PM
I doubt it,he probably pulled MJ aside after practice,but during the "spat" I think MJ would've hit him if he'd had said that,MJ might lose in a fight but he won't back down,and from all the stories I hear about jordan he would've kept fighting him till he won. Lol

The goods
03-09-2012, 02:30 PM
But back to the subject I think it depends on the teammates,magic would chew you out and get on you if you needed it
Larry probably didn't have to he had mccale,or parish lighting fires under peoples butt.
Bow MJ he just wanted to win and arguably had less talent on his team than magic,and bird,so he had to chew them out to get their max efforts.

Bos_Sports4Life
03-09-2012, 03:03 PM

- 23rd ALL TIME in Win shares

- .154 WS/48.

- 9X all star.

- Selected as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History

- Won Gold Medal as the Captian of the olympic team

* 10th All time In Career Blocks
* 7th All time in Career Rebounds
* 21st All time in Career Points

And you just compared THAT too Bill Cartwright??

redwhitenblue
03-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Parish rarely talked or talks, he rarely acted out on the floor or pointed fingers. He was from the non trash talking era. The only time he really caved in to his anger is the time he threw Laimbeer to the floor. Lainbeer got up and did everything but go back for more. Laimbeer showed himself for the bully/coward he was. Thanks Chief!
I simply doubt the location of this, because I don't think you'd get Parish challenging MJ in front of the rest of the teammates like that and risk hurting the respect he's getting and the results he gets from others.

If he did, then Parish is an idiot. He may not have needed yelling, but other players did and their respect for MJ is what made them not turn on him when he did get in their face.

And since when is getting in a teammates face that you believe is half-assing it being a "douche"? Sounds like being a damn leader.

BULLSFAN0810
03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
i believe the Chief. isnt uncommon in basketball things like this happen on the court.

John Walls Era
03-09-2012, 03:58 PM

:rolleyes: ok.

You spelled Messi wrong.

Bruno
03-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Interesting. Parish was in his late late 30's by that time. he wasn't gona be takin **** from nobody. MJ wasn't the GOAT yet, and Parish had rings.

Natty Ice
03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
I dont know if people know the difference between a Bully and a Douchebag. MJ was no Douchebag, he was a bully and an a-hole because he wanted to win which made him the GOAT. Maybe Hitleresque in a way, since he did want to advance the human race, yet he did it the wrong way, but ultimately with good intentions... in a way.

Douchebags are primadonna want to look good for the cameras trend setting metrosexual styling people.

Yes, because the Bulls becoming a dynasty is so important to the advancement of the human race. This logic is perfect.

Hellcrooner
03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Interesting. Parish was in his late late 30's by that time. he wasn't gona be takin **** from nobody. MJ wasn't the GOAT yet, and Parish had rings.

he was 42.....

Hellcrooner
03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
:rolleyes: ok.

You spelled Messi wrong.

Really? i never head messi saying " people boo me because they are envious that im rich and handsome"............

Mr.SmackYoMama
03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
mj was a dick

So am I.....Your Tat Sucks Bro LOL!

JasonJohnHorn
03-09-2012, 05:58 PM
I believe the Chief. He's got balls. I was bummed when he went to Chi-town because I hated Jordan and I the Chief was one of my fav players at the time, but it was worth just to hear this story.

When you got the rings to back it up, and few inches on the guy who's jawing at you, its not so hard to stand your ground.

I guess this is what happen when you treat a seasoned vet like the Chief as if he were Stacy King or Bill Wennington... lol

xbrackattackx
03-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Love the butt hurt Bulls fans. Best responses so far.

Parish would have killed Jordan, I've read his love letter, he's a gambler not a fighter.

naps
03-09-2012, 07:43 PM
I personally do not believe the entire story. knowing the competitor michael jordon was he would never back down from anything until he won. In no way, form or shape the ending of the story goes with michael jordan's character.