PDA

View Full Version : Who Makes the Playoffs First?

darth helmet
03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
It must have been about a year ago that I remember seeing a topic on this forum asking which Toronto team would make the playoffs next. Most favoured the Leafs just because there's so many more slots open to make it in. Now with the addition of 1 more play off spot in each MLB league, the Leafs recent rapid decline and fading playoff hope plus the Raptors rebuild, how do you think the Jays fair now in this debate?

BJBirdy
03-08-2012, 04:35 PM
How can anyone not vote for the Rock in this one? 8 out of 9 NLL teams make it to the playoffs. Literally.

Converged
03-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Not familiar with MLS, but the other 3 leagues are much easier to make playoffs than in MLB. I love the Leafs, but they suck and they are almost in playoff contention.

wagnall
03-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Blue Jays in 2013. Leafs look done this year, don't see next year any diff. Raptors maybe this decade and not up on MLS.

jaysnraptors44
03-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I say raps with a good pick in this years draft and jonas valanciunas coming over from europe the raps will have a pretty decent team

scottythegreat1
03-08-2012, 06:50 PM
None of the above.

Toronto teams will never make it to the playoffs. All of our major league teams are run by the same ownership. I would be willing to bet that the Blue Jays themselves will get absorbed into the MLSE umbrella, as Rogers owns part of it.

Honestly, all MLSE cares about is making money, not necessarily getting to the playoffs. As long as they profit and have devoted fans that show up to their games and show that they are making some effort to make the playoffs, thats all they need.

Honestly though, the Maple Leafs are in the best position to make it to the playoffs just because they have more spots to get in, and the Raptors are in terrible shape, so they wont be there for a few more years.

Nofear
03-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Pretty weak poll. The Rock are in a league where its vitrually impossible to miss the playoffs so their easily the choice here.

However in the spirit of the Jays forum, I picked them

town123
03-08-2012, 07:11 PM
I went with the Argos.

BJBirdy
03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
None of the above.

Toronto teams will never make it to the playoffs. All of our major league teams are run by the same ownership. I would be willing to bet that the Blue Jays themselves will get absorbed into the MLSE umbrella, as Rogers owns part of it.

Honestly, all MLSE cares about is making money, not necessarily getting to the playoffs. As long as they profit and have devoted fans that show up to their games and show that they are making some effort to make the playoffs, thats all they need.

Honestly though, the Maple Leafs are in the best position to make it to the playoffs just because they have more spots to get in, and the Raptors are in terrible shape, so they wont be there for a few more years.

The Rock aren't owned by Rogers :p

BJBirdy
03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Pretty weak poll. The Rock are in a league where its vitrually impossible to miss the playoffs so their easily the choice here.

However in the spirit of the Jays forum, I picked them

This!

BBB
03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
I say raps with a good pick in this years draft and jonas valanciunas coming over from europe the raps will have a pretty decent team

Plus a healthy Bargnani and a weak eastern conference. Playoffs in the bag.

Sanyo
03-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I think we've hit bottom with the teams in Toronto.

Jays obviously look to be very strong and finally are developing a young core that can get them contending for a long time.

Leafs struggled the last 3 weeks but they were a pretty darn good team for the most part. They lack stability with a good goaltender, I think honestly this will solve a big part of their problem.

Raps are finally getting competitive. Granted their record is bad but makes them worse than they really are -- they have gone down to the wire with teams like the Lakers, Heat, Magic, Spurs, Mavs and Knicks and have definitely made strides since the beginning of the year. They have also played without their top player in Andrea Bargnani. Next year they'll likely get a top 10 pick, Jonas their centre and a ton of salary cap space to pick a few top players. They will turn it around.

Rock are the Rock, they make it almost every year.

Heck with TFC, they are the strongest since inception 5 years ago.

I think going forward toward the middle/end of this decade Toronto sports will be rocking again!

(Go look at the TB Rays board -- its quite pathetic!)

TRIUMPHATOR
03-08-2012, 08:55 PM
All of the above next year. Leafs will not miss again due to urgency on Burke's part . Jays will use this year to evaluate but there is sooo much talent on the brink od stardom. Raptors with Bargs back playing to form, JVal, a decent pick, cap space and the inevitable Steve Nash signing. Rock...too easy. FC looks like they finally have a good team with Fringes, Aceval, and Silva. And the Argos with Ray at the helm.

All in all it way be a good decade to be a Toronto homer.

TRIUMPHATOR
03-08-2012, 08:57 PM
^ just saw your post after mine. I guess were on the same page

H-MYK
03-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Blue Jays, I don't really want to talk about the Leafs right now.

2009mvp
03-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Does making the playoffs matter all that much with 0 title hopes? Because I'm fairly confident both ACC tenants can accomplish that as soon as next year. The Jays might need another year or two but they're certainly the only ones looking like they may soon have the pieces to be truly elite.

statquo
03-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Blue Jays, I don't really want to talk about the Leafs right now.

me too, especially since this is the jays forum.

es0terik
03-09-2012, 02:36 AM
I went with the Rock as the obvious choice. If you take them off, I have the Jays (optimistic side of me) but I could also vote for the Leafs just because you can't really be as bad as they are for much longer, I don't think it's virtually possible.

MVP1
03-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Funny how the two teams that have won a championship within the last 10 years aren't owned by ML$E and Roger$.

StealingSigns
03-09-2012, 08:58 AM
No offense to the OP, but the real debate should be about who has the best chance to win their respective title (like 2009mvp alluded to above).

darth helmet
03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
No offense to the OP, but the real debate should be about who has the best chance to win their respective title (like 2009mvp alluded to above).

None taken, I think that's a great debate too but in my opinion the Jays are hands down leaders in that respect. Playoffs on the other hand I think you could argue for a few different teams still.

If I knew how to edit the poll I would take the Rock off. I admit I don't follow lacrosse nor did I realize how easy make the playoffs is in that league.

pebloemer
03-09-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't follow FC or Lacrosse, so my analysis is solely on the others

I'd say:
Blue Jays are closest to winning a title. (Playoffs are just very tough. But once in the playoffs, they are immediately a contender).

Raptor's are closest to the playoffs (sounds odd, but weaker conference, great coaching, lots of assets, young talent and cap space - I see them in the playoffs next year).

Leafs are furthest. (they may appear closest, but they are capped out on players that haven't been able to get it done. Other teams trying to get into the playoffs have better young talent that I expect to emerge soon. Ferguson left a disaster which will take long to fix).

Bubba54
03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Rock, seeing as they will make it this year...

Not even close really, should be a 100% vote for them.

StealingSigns
03-09-2012, 06:05 PM
None taken, I think that's a great debate too but in my opinion the Jays are hands down leaders in that respect. Playoffs on the other hand I think you could argue for a few different teams still.

If I knew how to edit the poll I would take the Rock off. I admit I don't follow lacrosse nor did I realize how easy make the playoffs is in that league.

Done. :hi5:

town123
03-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Typical goal and topic for a Leaf fan. Aaaaahhh, the Leafs neverending strive for mediocrity.

the_jon
03-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Funny how the two teams that have won a championship within the last 10 years aren't owned by ML$E and Roger$.
Two leagues where it's litterally harder to miss the playoffs than make the playoffs. The Argos play against 7 other teams. Sooner or later every team wins in that league. The Rock have been one of the better teams in their sport but like with the CFL the financial figures are tiny compared to the other major teams.

Not saying Rogers and MLSE aren't cheap, but financials really had nothing to do with those teams winning anything.

jmoney23
03-09-2012, 07:12 PM
In my opinion, I would rank it (in terms of first to last):

1) TFC (This year)
2) Jays (Next year)
3) Tie - Raptors/Maple Leafs (Year after next)

I think the Leafs get the closest to a franchise goalie at some point between the end of 2012-2013 season and the start of 2013-2014, whether it's through a trade, signing, or just the development of Reimer. Plus they rid themselves of some bad contracts and free up some cap space.

The Raptors have next year to hopefully develop Jonas and their first round pick this year, plus DeRozan becomes a consistent player by then and Bargnani (if still around) has developed some decent D. Plus, in the third year of Casey's D based system, they should be at least good enough to sneak into one of the last spots in the Easy (not that tough).

MVP1
03-09-2012, 10:06 PM
While it is easier to make the playoffs in NLL and CFL. The championship teams have always been competitive every year, usually finishing at the top of their league. The principle is the same. You build a team by developing talent and The Rock and Argos have done well in that department.

albertajaysfan
03-14-2012, 02:36 AM
I would have to pick FC because I think they will finally make the playoffs this year.

The Jays are the closest to winning a championship however.

masTOR_shake1
03-14-2012, 07:15 AM
wow, i hope the blue jays but the playoffs are so much easier to get into in the nba and nhl. so i'm going to say the leafs next year.

mike_noodles
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
It's gotta be the Jays.

At the start of the year I would have said Raps, but the kids just didn't grow like I thought they would. Throw in a 2nd wildcard and I think the Jays could realistically do it this year. As for the Leafs, well they're just a bumbling stumbling bunch of idiots that run that side of things.

sanjay_prick
03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Don't know a lot about the FC, but for the three teams, three very different situations:

Who makes the playoffs first? = Leafs. They have to fix a few kinks by adding a goaltender and sorting out their special teams, but I can see them squeezing into an 8th place spot next year. However, I do not believe that they will have success in the playoffs nor would they consistently be a lock for a playoff spot long-term.

Who becomes a consistent contender for the playoffs? = Raptors. They have a good young core, and with good coaching, and a couple of potentially strong rookies coming in, they will contend for a playoff spot much better than the Leafs, especially in a weaker NBA Eastern Conference. However, as much as they would make the playoffs, it's hard to see them make a championship run.

Who becomes a championship contender? = Blue Jays. With the difficulty of the AL East, even with an additional playoff spot, the Jays will be in the hunt year after year, but will not always make it. It's hard. However, if and when the Jays make the playoffs, they have the right mix of guys to make some noise. There is much more parody in the MLB when it comes to championships, so although they will not consistently make it in year after year, they will battle hard and can get hot to become a championship contender.