PDA

View Full Version : Is trading Gasol going to make Lakers win a title?

Hellcrooner
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
For some odd reason people out there think that Trading Pau is what lakers need.

Ok lets check.

Worst bench in the league.
Worst starting Pg and SF in the league.

The coach system is " give the ball to kobe"-

This way Lakers are definetly not winning.

But lets look at the trades looming out there.

Dwight, nelson and Turkoglu for Pau AND BYNUM.

Ok, teams add a superstar but loses the second and third scoring option add a sf that may be as bad or worse than artest, upgrades pg, bench is still a shame and creates a Hole at PF, does that win a title?

Rondo , JO, for Gasol , Pg solved, sf still uncovered, bench uncovered, creates a hole in Pf position.

Dragic, Martin, Scola for Pau
Pg....small uprise, scola = poor copy of Pau martin boost bench, are Kobe and Drew enough to win a ring?

And so on and on.

Wouldnt it make much more sense for them in terms of winning ( NEXT YEAR) to use the Tpe in either a Pg or Sf, and then next year the MLE on a good veteran for the other position, and draft some help ( sicne pick will be higher than other years?

Does it really make any sense trading a proven allstar, second opton that has made the team win rings for Spare pieces, or an allstar in other position ( rondo) creating a hole at Pf?

celtNYpatsHeels
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Probably not but it depends who they get in return

DaLakerz Rulz
03-08-2012, 12:12 PM
I certainly don't think trading Pau is a good idea. There is absolutely no way we get a remotely good deal for him. He has arguably been the biggest reason for our success over the last few years. Yes, I said it. Call him soft all you want, and yes he struggled in the playoffs last year. But the dude has led the team in win shares since the day he signed a Lakers contract. People don't give him enough credit. If he was utilized properly and given more shot attempts, his production would be off the charts.

Also, shouldn't this be in the Lakers forum....

Draco
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
What? Kobe needs more help again?

mamba24
03-08-2012, 12:19 PM
For some odd reason people out there think that Trading Pau is what lakers need.

Ok lets check.

Worst bench in the league.
Worst starting Pg and SF in the league.

The coach system is " give the ball to kobe"-

This way Lakers are definetly not winning.

But lets look at the trades looming out there.

Dwight, nelson and Turkoglu for Pau AND BYNUM.

Ok, teams add a superstar but loses the second and third scoring option add a sf that may be as bad or worse than artest, upgrades pg, bench is still a shame and creates a Hole at PF, does that win a title?

Rondo , JO, for Gasol , Pg solved, sf still uncovered, bench uncovered, creates a hole in Pf position.

Dragic, Martin, Scola for Pau
Pg....small uprise, scola = poor copy of Pau martin boost bench, are Kobe and Drew enough to win a ring?

And so on and on.

Wouldnt it make much more sense for them in terms of winning ( NEXT YEAR) to use the Tpe in either a Pg or Sf, and then next year the MLE on a good veteran for the other position, and draft some help ( sicne pick will be higher than other years?

Does it really make any sense trading a proven allstar, second opton that has made the team win rings for Spare pieces, or an allstar in other position ( rondo) creating a hole at Pf?

That is a very valid point, but does keeping Pau put them over the top? The truth is no. Even if the Lakers made some minor adjustments to the roster to help fill gaps at the 3 and at the pt guard they still wont win it all. The truth is that Pau needs to be traded now to help us in the future. His value is still high enouh that we might be able to get something good enough back to build around in the future. That is really what it boils down to... Lose with Pau now and have mediocre future with only Bynum to build around or trade pau and fillers for a younger piece to build around 2 young rising stars... Either way you look at it we aren not winning a title this yr.

Bullsfan22
03-08-2012, 12:20 PM
They need a point guard, and Mike Brown to grow a pair.

justinnum1
03-08-2012, 12:20 PM
no, getting a more atheltic pg and a decent bench will help a lot more than trading a top 5 PF

DaLakerz Rulz
03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
That is a very valid point, but does keeping Pau put them over the top? The truth is no. Even if the Lakers made some minor adjustments to the roster to help fill gaps at the 3 and at the pt guard they still wont win it all. The truth is that Pau needs to be traded now to help us in the future. His value is still high enouh that we might be able to get something good enough back to build around in the future. That is really what it boils down to... Lose with Pau now and have mediocre future with only Bynum to build around or trade pau and fillers for a younger piece to build around 2 young rising stars... Either way you look at it we aren not winning a title this yr.

Have you heard the different trade rumors going around? Do you honestly believe they will lead to any sort of long term success?

abe_froman
03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
depends onm what they get back ,but they need to upgrade the roster if they want a serious shot at the ring and gasol is the most valuable trade chip they got(as they wont trade kobe or bynum)

celtNYpatsHeels
03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
they need to fire Mike Brown and get rid of his 1 vs 5 offensive system

Odominator
03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
No, but it will help fluff Andrew Bynums number once Gasols gone and that makes Jim Buss happy.

Odominator
03-08-2012, 12:35 PM
What? Kobe needs more help again?

Ok, I am as much of a Kobe-hater as the next guy but how does this make sense? I am beating a dead horse here but you act like your boy MJ did it on his own.. or even LeBozo needing more help by ditching his town to Miami to get help in the form of two other franchise players. Check back in with me when Rose wins the title with the team he has now.

mamba24
03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Have you heard the different trade rumors going around? Do you honestly believe they will lead to any sort of long term success?

I hear what everybody else hears... My point is that when the Lakers traded for Pau nobody saw it coming. I think the Lakers aren't winning anytime soon with or without Pau... So my question is do we keep Pau till he is 34 and ready to retire or do we trade him and get some value for him while we still can?

Celticsfan2007
03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
If I'm the Lakers front office, I dangle both our 1st rounders along with the Odom TPE and try to find a decent PG/SF to bolster your starting lineup along with a few guys you can bring in as your 7-8th guys off the bench.

This team doesn't need a make over to win it all, they just need more depth.

Mcdoh
03-08-2012, 12:43 PM
sorry i didnt read the title very well.. and voted yes.. but i say no... like our twin towers.. just need a pg who can distribute the ball well and make plays..

AIRMAR72
03-08-2012, 12:48 PM
I certainly don't think trading Pau is a good idea. There is absolutely no way we get a remotely good deal for him. He has arguably been the biggest reason for our success over the last few years. Yes, I said it. Call him soft all you want, and yes he struggled in the playoffs last year. But the dude has led the team in win shares since the day he signed a Lakers contract. People don't give him enough credit. If he was utilized properly and given more shot attempts, his production would be off the charts.

Also, shouldn't this be in the Lakers forum....

i agree but the root of problem is really kobe, he needs to share the rock quit trying be like mike

mamba24
03-08-2012, 12:52 PM
For the record I voted no. I dont think keeping Pau is best for the future tho. I just dont see how adding a Ramon Sessions or Ray Felton type pt guard and adding a Beasley type player puts this Lakers team over the top... Can that team really beat the Thunder, Bulls, or Heat in a 7 game series?? I am a die hard fan so it kills me to watch the Lakers play so poorly, but we gotta be real. I think we are going to go through a tough 2 or 3 seasons before this team can really contend for a title again. Right now they are a middle of the pack type team and will stay there unless there are some major changes to the roster. This team wont be fixed by minor tweaks

mamba24
03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Why isnt the plan here to trade Pau for Rondo & JO or Scola, Martin & Dragic and STILL USE THE TPE + DRAFT PICKS TO ADD FURTHER DEPTH???

ghettosean
03-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Probably not but it depends who they get in return
I voted no but above is my exact position.

JayW_1023
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
If they acquire a player in the same fashion they acquired Gasol, who not. Wouldn't put it past The Lakers. A league with a mediocre Lakers team isn't good for business.

shep33
03-08-2012, 02:03 PM
The Lakers have the worst bench in the NBA, one of if not the worst 3 point shooting teams in the league, and has the least production out of the PG and SF positions in the NBA.

They need a pg, Fisher wouldn't be on any other NBA roster, let alone start.

THINKBLUE15
03-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Jim Buss, David Stern, Mike Brown, and the CBA will make it tough for the lakers to have their cake and eat it too. They are unlikely to have the ability to win again with this core. Can't add a big FA like Howard or Deron...can't get a return on current talent... Might have to blow things up.

Hellcrooner
03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Jim Buss, David Stern, Mike Brown, and the CBA will make it tough for the lakers to have their cake and eat it too. They are unlikely to have the ability to win again with this core. Can't add a big FA like Howard or Deron...can't get a return on current talent... Might have to blow things up.

Or trade Bynum for a good YOUNG Rookie scale contract player and PICKS and wait two seasons for Kobe and Pau to be out of the books and ahve ALL the cap space in the world to pull a miami.

Thats why i dont see ANY sense on trading Pau for smaller pieces ( on longer contracts)

mamba24
03-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Or trade Bynum for a good YOUNG Rookie scale contract player and PICKS and wait two seasons for Kobe and Pau to be out of the books and ahve ALL the cap space in the world to pull a miami.

Thats why i dont see ANY sense on trading Pau for smaller pieces ( on longer contracts)

The idea of trading a young all star for an even younger potential all star who is unproven makes no sense. trading pau is about getting younger and more athletic. It has nothing to do with him as a player. I think he is playing ok for the most part. The truth is the Lakers have a lot of gaps on the roster and he is the best trade chip the Lakers have. I hope he goes because the Lakers need depth and they will get a good return for him.

mamba24
03-08-2012, 02:54 PM

This

dannyh1469
03-08-2012, 02:57 PM
The Problem is that trading gasol will only be worth if you trade him for a established point guard that Kobe can trust with the ball to be a playmaker because sessions and Felton will not get Kobe's approval to run his team so if the lakers are able to trade for rondo or Lowry the I think it is a way to make the team better