PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Your All Time Jays Team

bljay29
03-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Put together your 25 man all time Jays team, I figure everyone might have a few different ideas.. The only critera is the player had to spend at least a year with the Jays

C- Ernie Whitt- always been a longtime favorite of mine, he might not get the recognition as he wasn't around in 92-93..

1B- Carlos Delgado- ok not good defensivley but that bat could make up for it

2B- Roberto Alomar- really do i need to say anything..

3B- Kelly Gruber- this wasn't an easy choice, I always liked Ed Sprague but I feel Kelly was just a bit better with the bat and glove

SS- Tony Fernandez- yeah Manny Lee made this close lol, Tony by a far is the best SS the Jays have ever had

LF- George Bell- the only MVP the Jays have had, plus LF has always been a black hole for the Jays imo

CF- Devon White- Vernon is right up there for sure but Devo's defense makes it an easy choice for me, especially being I have Bell in LF

RF- Jose Bautista- hard not to put him on this team

DH- Paul Molitor- i loved watching him hit

SP- Roger Clemens- as much as i don't like him his 2 season's with the Jays were the best 2 seasons of any Jays pitcher

SP- Roy Halladay- Will likely go down as the best Jays pitcher of all time

SP- Dave Stieb- no hitter, a ton of 1 hitters, and 1 of my all time fav's.. Seeing him running out in 92 to celebrate the WS was awesome

SP- Jimmy Key- never put up overly impressive numbers but he was a gamer that you could trust on the mound, plus 2 wins in the 92 WS

SP- Jaun Guzman- when Guzman had his good stuff he was nasty on the mound, he at times made it look so easy

Closer- Tom Henke- Ward might have had better stuff but the Terminator did it longer

Bullpen- Duane Ward, Scott Downs, Paul Quantrill, Mark Eichhorn

Long Relief- Pat Hentgen- had to find a role for him somehow

Bench
Joe Carter- as much as i like him lets be honest his bat and defense was never great

John Olerud- need someone to replace Delgado in late innings, and would be great as a pinch hitter

Vernon Wells- as much as we soured on him, VW was a good player

Greg Zaun- (let the yappin at me begin) no he was never great or awesome but for some reason i always liked Greg and for me he would have a place on my team

John McDonald- he is here for his bat... nah its strictly for that glove

Feel free to rip my team, but these guys are players that i enjoyed watching and were always fav's of mine

TRIUMPHATOR
03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Hard to argue with anyone of those selections, only minor changes; one would be to flip flop Guzman and Hentgen. I think Hentgen gets in because his body of work is better. Or I might replace them altogther with David Cone, Secondly, Bengie Molina ahead of Zaun on the bench. Although its hard to keep Olerud out if this line up with that bat from '93, I might put him ahead of Delgado but tough choice there.

Looking at this team and trying to visualize other longer standing organizations, we would stack up well with a lot of their all time teams. MVP, batting champs, Hr champs, plus defensive wizards sprinkled all around (except for first and LF) Wow.

Only weakness is third base. But when we do this again in ten years hopefully Lawrie runs away with it.

TRIUMPHATOR
03-08-2012, 11:47 AM
How about the batting order?

bljay29
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Hard to argue with anyone of those selections, only minor changes; one would be to flip flop Guzman and Hentgen. I think Hentgen gets in because his body of work is better. Secondly, Bengie Molina ahead of Zaun on the bench. Although its hard to keep Olerud out if this line up with that bat from '93, I might put him ahead of Delgado but tough choice there.

Looking at this team and trying to visualize other longer standing organizations, we would stack up well with a lot of there all time teams. MVP, batting champs, Hr champs, plus defensive wizards sprinkled all around (except for first and LF) Wow.

Only weakness id third base. But when we do this again in ten years hopefully Lawrie runs away with it

Yeah in a couple years Lawrie i hope will be on this list, he looks good but you never know... As for Olerud, i just thought Delgado was more consitant and the idea of seeing a combo of Delgado/Bautista would be awesome

bljay29
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
How about the batting order?

my order would be

1-White
2-Alomar
3-Molitor
4-Bautista
5-Delgado
6-Bell
7-Whitt
8-Gruber
9-Fernandez

Pfeifer
03-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Great team but where is candy moldanato, lol.

Twitchy
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
I'd change 3B to Rance, and maybe CF to Lloyd Moseby (but White was still pretty fantastic). Outside of that looks pretty good. Eichorn and Quantrill probably deserve a relief spot too.

Farsight
03-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Im i the only one that would consider Olerud over Delgado at first?. I like both players, but if possible i would probably move Delgado to DH (if we are allowed to do that), and have Olerud at first

Big Hurt
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Just throwing out some names,
I would have Rolen at 3rd.
Is Rickey Henderson eligible?
Cecil Fielder needs to find a roster spot.
Jose Canseco hit 46 HR and swipped 29 bags for us.
Lance Parrish and Benito Santiago were good juicers but Charlie O'Brien is my personal ALL time fav Jays catcher. Nobody got dirtier and played harder than old Charlie!

DrJamesNaismith
03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
C- Ernie Whitt- always been a longtime favorite of mine, he might not get the recognition as he wasn't around in 92-93..
1B- Carlos Delgado- ok not good defensivley but that bat could make up for it
2B- Roberto Alomar- really do i need to say anything..
3B- Kelly Gruber- this wasn't an easy choice, I always liked Ed Sprague but I feel Kelly was just a bit better with the bat and glove
SS- Tony Fernandez- yeah Manny Lee made this close lol, Tony by a far is the best SS the Jays have ever had
LF- George Bell- the only MVP the Jays have had, plus LF has always been a black hole for the Jays imo
CF- Devon White- Vernon is right up there for sure but Devo's defense makes it an easy choice for me, especially being I have Bell in LF
RF- Jose Bautista- hard not to put him on this team
DH- Paul Molitor- i loved watching him hit
SP- Roger Clemens- as much as i don't like him his 2 season's with the Jays were the best 2 seasons of any Jays pitcher
SP- Roy Halladay- Will likely go down as the best Jays pitcher of all time
SP- Dave Stieb- no hitter, a ton of 1 hitters, and 1 of my all time fav's.. Seeing him running out in 92 to celebrate the WS was awesome
SP- Jimmy Key- never put up overly impressive numbers but he was a gamer that you could trust on the mound, plus 2 wins in the 92 WS
SP- Jaun Guzman- when Guzman had his good stuff he was nasty on the mound, he at times made it look so easy
Closer- Tom Henke- Ward might have had better stuff but the Terminator did it longer
Bullpen- Duane Ward, Scott Downs, Paul Quantrill, Mark Eichhorn

Neat question. First base if definitely up for debate. Olerud vs. Delgado, or those 2 vs. Molitor for the DH? My fav player as a young kid was Jesse Barfield, so RF is a toss up for me as well, but Jose would still have to be on my all-time team (possibly at 3rd). Hard for me to keep Ricky Henderson off this teamm as well, for everything he brought to during the Jays glory years. So I think after some internal debate I go:

1-Devon White (CF)
2-Ricky Henderson (LF)
3-Roberto Alomar (2B)
4-Jose Bautista (RF) Sorry Jesse, stats don't seem to support my early childhood impression
5-Carlos Delgado (1B)
6-Paul Molitor (DH)
7-Joe Carter (3B) I'm not sure this is fair, but, I can't leave him out.
8-Ernie Witt (C)
9-Tony Fernandez (SS)

SP-Roy Halladay
SP-Roidger Clemmons
SP-David Cone
SP-Dave Stewart ->beacause he scared the **** outta me (until he spoke).
SP-Dave Steib

Set-up men- Duanne Ward, Mike Timlin
Closer-Henke

Reserve- 1st up John Olerud! Kelly Gruber (incase Joe can't handle duties at 3rd (haha), Lloyd Moesby, George Bell, Rance Mullinicks (SP?) to pinch hit.

bljay29
03-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Neat question. First base if definitely up for debate. Olerud vs. Delgado, or those 2 vs. Molitor for the DH? My fav player as a young kid was Jesse Barfield, so RF is a toss up for me as well, but Jose would still have to be on my all-time team (possibly at 3rd). Hard for me to keep Ricky Henderson off this teamm as well, for everything he brought to during the Jays glory years. So I think after some internal debate I go:

1-Devon White (CF)
2-Ricky Henderson (LF)
3-Roberto Alomar (2B)
4-Jose Bautista (RF) Sorry Jesse, stats don't seem to support my early childhood impression
5-Carlos Delgado (1B)
6-Paul Molitor (DH)
7-Joe Carter (3B) I'm not sure this is fair, but, I can't leave him out.
8-Ernie Witt (C)
9-Tony Fernandez (SS)

SP-Roy Halladay
SP-Roidger Clemmons
SP-David Cone
SP-Dave Stewart ->beacause he scared the **** outta me (until he spoke).
SP-Dave Steib

Set-up men- Duanne Ward, Mike Timlin
Closer-Henke

Reserve- 1st up John Olerud! Kelly Gruber (incase Joe can't handle duties at 3rd (haha), Lloyd Moesby, George Bell, Rance Mullinicks (SP?) to pinch hit.

As much as i love Rickey he spent 3 months as a Blue Jay, my idea was to guys that spent at least a year with the jays... Dave Stewart made me feel the same way lol

bljay29
03-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Im i the only one that would consider Olerud over Delgado at first?. I like both players, but if possible i would probably move Delgado to DH (if we are allowed to do that), and have Olerud at first

Its your all time team, do as ya please lol.. I thought the same way but I wanted Molitor on the team in a starting role

DrJamesNaismith
03-08-2012, 05:36 PM
As much as i love Rickey he spent 3 months as a Blue Jay, my idea was to guys that spent at least a year with the jays... Dave Stewart made me feel the same way lol

Fair enough... I just remember how excited I was when I found out that we picked him up. I was in the garage drinking my dad's stash of hidden beers (he quit drinking apparently).
Also, I'd like to take back my Dave Cone pick, and substitute 1992 Jack Morris... a huge ommission!

es0terik
03-09-2012, 02:40 AM
Cannot believe Fred McGriff hasn't been mentioned yet..

the_jon
03-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Damn we've had some good ones...

bartron_44
03-09-2012, 09:22 AM
1B/DH- Olerud had a great year in 93, and a solid year in 94, but Delgado was great from 1998-2004, and pretty darn good in 96 and 97 too. I would have to take Delgado in 2000 over Olerud in 93 though. Olerud in 93 was better then Molitor any year he played in Toronto though, so I would have Olerud at 1B and Delgado at DH. Molitor would be on my bench as my utility guy and PH.

CF- I would also take VW in 2003 over any year Devo or Moseby had at the dish. Don't forget how good VW was defensively when he was younger too...he was a gold glove winner 3 straight seasons.

3B- I would have to take Scott Rolen or Brett Lawrie over Gruber. Rolen he is one of the best defensive 3rd basemen of all time, and Lawrie looks like he could be the best offensive 3rd basemen ever in Toronto. Sprague was great in 96, but I think Lawrie can put up a better OPS then .821. I will take Rolen starting at 3B, and put Lawrie on my bench too as another utility guy. I think my team can score enough runs, so my as well put the best infield ever on the daimond.

LF- Rickey Henderson- he was the greatest lead off hitter of all time....how can he not be in the lineup.

LF-Henderson
2B-Alomar
RF-Bautista
DH-Delgado
CF-Wells
1B-Olerud
3B-Rolen
C-Whitt
SS-Fernandez

Bench

Molitor
Lawrie
Escobar
White
Green
Borders

Rotation

Clemens
Halladay
Stieb
Cone
Romero

Bullpen

Tom Henke
Duane Ward
BJ Ryan
Scott Downs
David Wells

bljay29
03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
1B/DH- Olerud had a great year in 93, and a solid year in 94, but Delgado was great from 1998-2004, and pretty darn good in 96 and 97 too. I would have to take Delgado in 2000 over Olerud in 93 though. Olerud in 93 was better then Molitor any year he played in Toronto though, so I would have Olerud at 1B and Delgado at DH. Molitor would be on my bench as my utility guy and PH.

CF- I would also take VW in 2003 over any year Devo or Moseby had at the dish. Don't forget how good VW was defensively when he was younger too...he was a gold glove winner 3 straight seasons.

3B- I would have to take Scott Rolen or Brett Lawrie over Gruber. Rolen he is one of the best defensive 3rd basemen of all time, and Lawrie looks like he could be the best offensive 3rd basemen ever in Toronto. Sprague was great in 96, but I think Lawrie can put up a better OPS then .821. I will take Rolen starting at 3B, and put Lawrie on my bench too as another utility guy. I think my team can score enough runs, so my as well put the best infield ever on the daimond.

LF- Rickey Henderson- he was the greatest lead off hitter of all time....how can he not be in the lineup.

LF-Henderson
2B-Alomar
RF-Bautista
DH-Delgado
CF-Wells
1B-Olerud
3B-Rolen
C-Whitt
SS-Fernandez

Bench

Molitor
Lawrie
Escobar
White
Green
Borders

Rotation

Clemens
Halladay
Stieb
Cone
Romero

Bullpen

Tom Henke
Duane Ward
BJ Ryan
Scott Downs
David Wells

Well Henderson is the greatest leadoff hitter he spent 3 months with the Jays, a little hard to be considered a great Jay after just 3 months.. thats why i left Lawrie and Henderson off my list cause i wanted guys that had spent at least a year on the roster

lmallia
03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Are we talking career numbers here or single season? Cause Shawn Green had a couple pretty awesome years, one in particular.

bljay29
03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Are we talking career numbers here or single season? Cause Shawn Green had a couple pretty awesome years, one in particular.

When i decided my team i looked at overall career as a Blue Jay