PDA

View Full Version : 24-second violation rule change proposal

DenButsu
03-08-2012, 05:15 AM
Here's a rule I'd like to see the NBA modify:

-------------------------
RULE NO. 7—24-SECOND CLOCK
Section III—Putting Ball In Play After Violation

If a team fails to attempt a field goal within the time allotted, a 24-second violation shall be called. The ball is awarded to the defensive team at the sideline, nearest the spot where play was suspended but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended.

It happens fairly often that the offensive team guilty of the 24-second violation will chuck at last-second shot up at the end of their possession, or in general just take a bad shot under pressure, and subsequently the defensive team will end up with the ball.

But they don't get to run with it.

Often in these cases, it would benefit the defensive team if they regained possession in the normal flow of play, without the clock stopping and without having to inbound the ball.

Or more simply put, a team that should be rewarded for playing 24 seconds of solid defense has a share of that reward taken away by being denied the opportunity of taking the ball back down the court quickly for a fast break with the other team off balance.

So I'd like to see the rule read more like this:

1) If a team fails to attempt a field goal within the time allotted, a 24-second violation shall be called.
a. If the defensive team does not regain possession of the ball, or the ball goes out of bounds, the ball is awarded to the defensive team at the sideline, nearest the spot where play was suspended but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended.
b. If the defensive team regains possession of the ball, they will retain possession, as with a usual defensive rebound, and play will continue. The game clock will not be stopped, and the ball will not be inbounded.

I think this would be a lot more fair to the defensive team, giving them the chance to get down the court and attempt to score before the offensive team got back and reset their defense.

But what do you think?

bholly
03-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Totally agree. As soon as I saw the thread title I hoped this was the suggestion.

looka09
03-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Absolutely agree.

Patman
03-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Yes would be great and take out another interruption of the Game. And yes sometimes great break opportunities are lost due to that rule.

YoungOne
03-08-2012, 06:40 AM
this is an easy question...works fine in euro ball

DenButsu
03-08-2012, 08:27 AM
this is an easy question...works fine in euro ball

That's cool, didn't know that was already in the rules in Europe.

zellaveuk
03-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Yes would be great and take out another interruption of the Game. And yes sometimes great break opportunities are lost due to that rule http://www.vvio.info/jpg1.

Yes would be great and take out another interruption of the Game.

DieHardColtsfan
03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
As soon as I saw the thread title I hoped this was the suggestion

****ing parrot

ACanadian
03-08-2012, 10:57 AM
****ing parrot

That's what you call them lol?

KnicksorBust
03-08-2012, 11:48 AM
That creates a totally different type of problem though. What counts as "defensive possession"? Say I throw up a last second shot. You grab the ball in the air and as you come down my teammate knocks the ball out of your hands and gets the steal. You had the ball for a second. Now we have the ball back. I think you'd be producing a ton of vulnerable steal opportunities with guys getting ripped in mid-air or simultaneous to catching a basketball. Seems like an injury waiting to happen.

They are allowed to grab the ball with 1 second left and run a possession. I think that's fine as is.

Eagles710
03-08-2012, 12:35 PM
I hate this rule with a passion, its so dumb, and makes no sense..... im all for changing it

Tmath
03-08-2012, 12:54 PM
I would also like the FIBA rule where the players can tip the ball while on the basket.

Hellcrooner
03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
yep.

I would also like less Time Outs and a Hockey style court with NO OUT OF BOUNDS. 48 minutes of Sheer basketball with very very few stops.

NSJ
03-08-2012, 01:26 PM
That creates a totally different type of problem though. What counts as "defensive possession"? Say I throw up a last second shot. You grab the ball in the air and as you come down my teammate knocks the ball out of your hands and gets the steal. You had the ball for a second. Now we have the ball back. I think you'd be producing a ton of vulnerable steal opportunities with guys getting ripped in mid-air or simultaneous to catching a basketball. Seems like an injury waiting to happen.

They are allowed to grab the ball with 1 second left and run a possession. I think that's fine as is.

If the defensive team rebounds an air ball with time left on the shot clock and has possession for one second the shot clock would be reset anyways. Also, why would there be a ton of vulnerable steal opportunities and injuries waiting to happen? It's really no different than any other air balls that gets tossed up.

Birdmannn
03-08-2012, 06:13 PM
yep.

I would also like less Time Outs and a Hockey style court with NO OUT OF BOUNDS. 48 minutes of Sheer basketball with very very few stops.

I like it.

DenButsu
03-09-2012, 01:27 AM
If the defensive team rebounds an air ball with time left on the shot clock and has possession for one second the shot clock would be reset anyways. Also, why would there be a ton of vulnerable steal opportunities and injuries waiting to happen? It's really no different than any other air balls that gets tossed up.

Yeah. I agree, I don't see any increased injury risk. The normal rules of establishing possession would apply.

LakersA's49ers
03-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Teams should be rewarded for their defense with a fastbreak opportunity. So definitely yes

beliges
03-09-2012, 01:53 AM
This is an almost impossible rule to enforce. The rationale behind that is with your proposal, you almost have to make it an "advantage" call like soccer, as in, dont call a violation if the defensive team has an advantage coming back down the floor. It becomes too much of a judgment call because you HAVE to call a 24 sec violation if the offensive team fails to hit the rim and possession has not been secured by the defensive team yet. Otherwise, you allow the violating team to be able to regain possession after a 24 second violation. It would make the call too subjective and it would be very difficult to remain consistent.

C_Mund
03-09-2012, 02:10 AM
I wouldn't be too big a fan. I mean, why stop there? If you move your feet and get in front of your man and he travels, should you just be able to grab the ball out of his hands and fast break? Technically that's even better defense because they didn't even have the ball for 24 seconds before turning it over so where's the reward for that?
The 24-second clock (in my opinion, not trying to call anybody wrong) is a time limit for the offense to shoot, and also for the defense to steal the ball. If you can't steal the ball in 24 seconds you don't deserve a fast break but get a possession.

also....as if we need any more grey areas for the the refs to throw in a little "opinion".

Raps26
03-09-2012, 02:24 AM
This is an almost impossible rule to enforce. The rationale behind that is with your proposal, you almost have to make it an "advantage" call like soccer, as in, dont call a violation if the defensive team has an advantage coming back down the floor. It becomes too much of a judgment call because you HAVE to call a 24 sec violation if the offensive team fails to hit the rim and possession has not been secured by the defensive team yet. Otherwise, you allow the violating team to be able to regain possession after a 24 second violation. It would make the call too subjective and it would be very difficult to remain consistent.

I agree