PDA

View Full Version : Playing for the Clippers made Baron Davis dislike basketball

LAKobeBryant
03-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Q: What's your lowest NBA moment?
A: I would say the first time I got traded from New Orleans to Golden State. I gave my heart to the organization. I played with loose cartilage in my knee. I played with a herniated disk that I didn't find out was herniated until I tore my meniscus. And it came a point in time where they thought that I was faking my injury, and that just wasn't the case. And the other lowest point is when I played for the Clippers. ... I just stopped liking basketball. And then you dribbling down the court and having the owner like cuss at you and call you an idiot. I didn't even look forward to coming to the games, and if the owner [Donald Sterling] came to the game, I definitely was not gonna have a good game because it was just like, how do you play when the main heckler in the gym is the owner of the team, and he's telling you how much he hates you and calling out your name?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/playing-clippers-made-baron-davis-dislike-basketball-215246877.html

excuse why he fell off?

Sactown
03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I wonder if Sterling did that

Joshtd1
03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
^^It says Sterling was the main heckler

Celticsfan2007
03-07-2012, 04:53 PM
David Sterling: Where getting basketball advice from prostitutes and heckling your own players happens.

Gotta love the NBA!

Bruno
03-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Sterling is one of the worst owners in sports. he will again blunder what he has. people don't change, especially in old age.

netsgiantsyanks
03-07-2012, 04:57 PM
you know a organization is bad when you make someone thats been playing basketball their whole life dislike it.

smith&wesson
03-07-2012, 04:58 PM
he is known to heckle his own players in the past when the clippers were brutal...

now im sure donalds a happy guy and i doubt he would ever try to heckle griffen or paul in fear of losing them.

but i believe he did this. its been rumoured before its not the first time.

Da Knicks
03-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Sterling=douchbag!

49warriors
03-07-2012, 05:12 PM
The Bay still love Baron even tho he left the way he did...
Father time is in the lead....

Gritz
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
I would've knocked sterling the fluck out

JRisdabest
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Da baron.

championships
03-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Only a matter of time before Sterling screws up his current team.

D-Block21-Chito
03-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Baron sucks who cares

Evolution23
03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
What a dumb *** owner

L@ker4Life
03-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Sterling is the guy that used to parade women in the Locker room while the players were showering. He showed them off like they were his property. The guy is a effin douche. Worst owner in sports and just a BAD person, all the way down to his core.

Cracka2HI!
03-07-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm probably Donald Sterlings biggest supporter and I admit he's a total douche. I also like Baron and think the effort he gave as a Clipper was very underrated. That said I find Sterling heckling his own players to be hilarious! I mean I guess if you pay a guy like Baron that much money you should have the right to tell him he's playing like crap. I was probably screaming at Baron though the TV on a lot of those plays.

Baron did play hurt a lot and had no one to pass to but he made a ton of bone head plays here and thought he was Kobe when the game was on the line. If Baron could have deferred to Eric Gordon AT ALL I would have more of a problem with Sterling's antics, but Baron took 50 game winning or quarter ending shots with EJ sitting wide open on the wing.

MJ-BULLS
03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
that is messed up how the owner would just say that.

Avenged
03-07-2012, 06:40 PM
LOL! Damn.. :pity:

Not even surprised though.

ghettosean
03-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Yeah I've heard this before he's a heckler... Never heard the parading chicks though locker rooms though... lol. Not the best owner... This might be Lamar Odoms future boss if he wants back in L.A and heckle victim :badidea:

Deemerc
03-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Baron sucks who cares

Because he's on the Knicks, and if your an average point guard in ny u get more publicity than any other point guard in the league

MickeyMgl
03-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I wonder if Sterling did that

I've read that story before, witnessed by Clipper beat writers. Totally believable, given Sterling's character.

I could not keep from rolling my eyes when, at his introductory press conference, Chris Paul referred to Sterling as "a great owner", and referred to the Clippers "great history".

bluekrewFan78
03-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I met Sterling before, we were given free Clipper tickets at the beginning of last years season. We took about 100 kids from the school I work at. Before the game I was taken to the VIP part of Staples to give Mr. Sterling an envelope with thank you letters from the kids. I was with about 10 other people from different organizations who got free tickets as well. We were taken into a beautiful restaurant where Mr. Sterling was having dinner. He stood up and welcomed everyone, he then shook his head and said " I'm sorry but Baron Davis isn't playing today, he has "knee injuries"(making the quote gesture with his fingers). "Tonight you will see a rookie from Kentucky play in his place" He paused shook his head again and said "Baron Davis is a cancer, he is a cancer and we need to get rid of him!" "If he doesn't want to play he can leave!" Everyone looked at each other and no one knew what to say, it was awkward...lol...then he proceeded to tell us "Enjoy the game!"
Mr. Sterling had a messy demeanor, no fancy clothes, he wasn't dressed up professionally, didn't look at all or acted like an owner, he seemed very real....i don't know if that's good or bad...lol...interesting character

beasted86
03-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Sterling is also thoroughly disliked by one of his longtime employees, former executive and NBA legend Elgin Baylor. For 22 years, Baylor made personnel decisions for the Clippers as they traversed their way through the draft lottery. Then, after resigning in October 2008, he filed an employment discrimination lawsuit against the team on the grounds that he was underpaid and fired because of his race.

In November, my esteemed colleague Mr. Dwyer detailed Baylor's description of Sterling fostering a "plantation mentality" within the organization. Now, some more details have come out about Sterling's actions in recent legal filings, courtesy of J.A. Adande on TrueHoop. Here's the juiciest part:

"While ignoring my suggestions and isolating me from decisions customarily reserved for general managers, the Clippers attempted to place the blame for the team's failures on me," Baylor said in the declaration. "During this same period, players Sam Cassell, Elton Brand and Corey Maggette complained to me that DONALD STERLING would bring women into the locker room after games, while the players were showering, and make comments such as, 'Look at those beautiful black bodies.' I brought this to Sterling's attention, but he continued to bring women into the locker room."

Well, that doesn't seem like a very ... wait, what?! "Look at those beautiful black bodies"! In the 21st century?!

Sterling's actions remain alleged, and it's often the case that facts get exaggerated. But if you're looking for pretty much the exact definition of a "plantation mentality," this is it right here. Bringing women into a locker room and having them prize African-American men for their muscular bodies is pretty much the height of treating African-American men as physical specimens rather than people. Sterling's essentially treating his players like animals at a zoo here, and it's as disgusting a story as you're likely to hear about an NBA locker room this decade.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Donald-Sterling-allegedly-acted-terribly-in-the-?urn=nba-304544

Not news. Sterling sucks.

BULLSFAN0810
03-07-2012, 08:29 PM
A team sucks for ages ,the guys who brings in the bad players heckles them for being bad...who heckles him for having a life time of bad decisions and ruining a team?

lakerboy
03-07-2012, 08:35 PM
I hate Sterling as much as the next guy, but Baron is one lazy *** ****. He always comes to training camp fat.

avrpatsfan
03-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Hopefully Sterling dies off soon so Clippers fans can start feeling good about their team and not worrying that their owner will clash with Griffen/Paul.

Dude is a racist douchebag who shouldn't own an NBA team.

Monta is beast
03-07-2012, 08:46 PM
So he didn't like playing in Golden State? That's kind of shocking.

ragee
03-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Sterling is the guy that used to parade women in the Locker room while the players were showering. He showed them off like they were his property. The guy is a effin douche. Worst owner in sports and just a BAD person, all the way down to his core.

That is nothing compared to him refusing to pay for cancer surgery to his coach.

Aust
03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
If there's one thing the NBA needs to do it's to get rid of this scumbag. He's been holding the Clippers down for too long

Avenged
03-07-2012, 09:04 PM

"Look at those beautiful black bodies" LOL

:pity:

SugeKnight
03-07-2012, 09:04 PM
So he didn't like playing in Golden State? That's kind of shocking.

It says he didn't want to get traded from NOLA, not that he didn't want to play in GS or that he didn't enjoy his time in GS

uptown0364
03-07-2012, 09:07 PM
On November 15, 2005, the Associated Press reported that Sterling had been ordered by U.S. District Judge Dale S. Fischer to pay $5 million in fees to plaintiff's attorneys in a case accusing him of trying to drive out non-Korean tenants, particularly blacks and Latinos, at apartments he owned in Los Angeles' Koreatown neighborhood.[3]

In February 2009, Sterling was sued by former longtime Clippers executive Elgin Baylor for employment discrimination on the basis of age and race.[4] The lawsuit alleges Sterling told Baylor that he wanted to fill his team with "poor black boys from the South and a white head coach."[5] The suit alleges that during negotiations for Danny Manning, Sterling said "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid."[5][6] The suit noted those comments while alleging "the Caucasian head coach was given a four-year, $22-million contract," but Baylor's salary had "been frozen at a comparatively paltry $350,000 since 2003."[4]

On August 8, 2009, the U.S. Department of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination in using race as a factor in filling some of his apartment buildings. The government's ongoing case alleges Sterling refused to rent to non-Koreans in the Koreatown neighborhood and to African Americans in Beverly Hills.[5] The suit alleges Sterling once said he did not like to rent to Hispanics because they "smoke, drink and just hang around the building," and that "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."[5]

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sterling

xILLN355
03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Seven years ago, former Los Angeles Clippers head coach Kim Hughes was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and the ensuing aftermath will change the way you feel about several NBA types significantly.
Up until Tuesday afternoon, the only functional knowledge I had of former Los Angeles Clippers head coach Kim Hughes was that he was, in fact, a former Los Angeles Clippers head coach, and that he once touched his elbows on the rim in a lay-up line at a high school tournament in Illinois, which really impressed my father.
Beyond that, nothing. Until Tuesday afternoon, when Howard Beck brought this column to Trey Kerby's attention, and he brought it to our attention. And now we're passing the feel-good savings on to you, in the form of an anecdote that reveals that NBA players Corey Maggette(notes), Marko Jaric(notes), Chris Kaman(notes) and Elton Brand(notes) all chipped in to pay for expensive life-saving surgery for Hughes, after the Clippers organization (read: Donald Sterling, noted worst person in the world) declined to cover the costs.
Declined to cover the cost of a surgery that would save their employee's life. While playing rent-free in an often sold-out arena in America's second-biggest television market. Unyieldingly evil.
Gary Woelfel has the original story:
"Those guys saved my life," Hughes said. "They paid the whole medical bill. It was like $70,000 or more. It wasn't cheap.
"It showed you what classy people they are. They didn't want me talking about it; they didn't want the recognition because they simply felt it was the right thing to do."
Hughes said he will be forever grateful to Brand, Jaric, Kaman and Maggette. In fact, Hughes said every time he runs into any of them, he thanks them from the bottom of his heart.
Maggette said that was indeed the case, laughing how he has repeatedly told Hughes over the years it wasn't necessary.
"Kim thanks me every time he sees me; he does that every single time," Maggette said smiling. "I've said to him, 'Kim, come on. You don't have to do that. You're good.'
No, you're good, Corey Maggette. You're pretty fantastically good. And so are you, Marko Jaric, Elton Brand, and Chris Kaman.
And Donald Sterling? You remain a terrible, terrible person.

Chronz
03-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Id heckle the out of shape slob whos stealing my money

dee279
03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I hope CP3 leaves the clippers too.

BULLSFAN0810
03-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Seven years ago, former Los Angeles Clippers head coach Kim Hughes was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and the ensuing aftermath will change the way you feel about several NBA types significantly.
Up until Tuesday afternoon, the only functional knowledge I had of former Los Angeles Clippers head coach Kim Hughes was that he was, in fact, a former Los Angeles Clippers head coach, and that he once touched his elbows on the rim in a lay-up line at a high school tournament in Illinois, which really impressed my father.
Beyond that, nothing. Until Tuesday afternoon, when Howard Beck brought this column to Trey Kerby's attention, and he brought it to our attention. And now we're passing the feel-good savings on to you, in the form of an anecdote that reveals that NBA players Corey Maggette(notes), Marko Jaric(notes), Chris Kaman(notes) and Elton Brand(notes) all chipped in to pay for expensive life-saving surgery for Hughes, after the Clippers organization (read: Donald Sterling, noted worst person in the world) declined to cover the costs.
Declined to cover the cost of a surgery that would save their employee's life. While playing rent-free in an often sold-out arena in America's second-biggest television market. Unyieldingly evil.
Gary Woelfel has the original story:
"Those guys saved my life," Hughes said. "They paid the whole medical bill. It was like $70,000 or more. It wasn't cheap.
"It showed you what classy people they are. They didn't want me talking about it; they didn't want the recognition because they simply felt it was the right thing to do."
Hughes said he will be forever grateful to Brand, Jaric, Kaman and Maggette. In fact, Hughes said every time he runs into any of them, he thanks them from the bottom of his heart.
Maggette said that was indeed the case, laughing how he has repeatedly told Hughes over the years it wasn't necessary.
"Kim thanks me every time he sees me; he does that every single time," Maggette said smiling. "I've said to him, 'Kim, come on. You don't have to do that. You're good.'
No, you're good, Corey Maggette. You're pretty fantastically good. And so are you, Marko Jaric, Elton Brand, and Chris Kaman.
And Donald Sterling? You remain a terrible, terrible person.

WOW...IDK if Sterling is racist,seems that way if the reports i read on this page are correct;but this example is beyond racism,it shows Sterling as heartless. Im not saying he owes anyone,but if an employee that you KNOW CANT afford the life saving surgery and youre this uber rich guy and you dont try to be helpful?...bad look if you ask me.

MickeyMgl
03-08-2012, 12:51 PM
A team sucks for ages ,the guys who brings in the bad players heckles them for being bad...who heckles him for having a life time of bad decisions and ruining a team?

Every now and then, a local columnist will call him out and remind everybody how much he sucks, but I don't think the rest of the country has a full grasp on how thoroughly repulsive this guy is.

This is why, win-loss record aside, there is very little danger that the Clippers are going to "take over" Los Angeles. Any Clipper player with an opportunity to leave, leaves. CP picked up his option year as part of the deal to leave New Orleans, but after that, I'm certain he escapes.

MickeyMgl
03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
If there's one thing the NBA needs to do it's to get rid of this scumbag.

Instead of that, they're listening to him as he was one of the more vocal owners driving the lockout to try and break the union. The inmates are running the asylum in the NBA.

ghettosean
03-08-2012, 01:05 PM
On November 15, 2005, the Associated Press reported that Sterling had been ordered by U.S. District Judge Dale S. Fischer to pay $5 million in fees to plaintiff's attorneys in a case accusing him of trying to drive out non-Korean tenants, particularly blacks and Latinos, at apartments he owned in Los Angeles' Koreatown neighborhood.[3]

In February 2009, Sterling was sued by former longtime Clippers executive Elgin Baylor for employment discrimination on the basis of age and race.[4] The lawsuit alleges Sterling told Baylor that he wanted to fill his team with "poor black boys from the South and a white head coach."[5] The suit alleges that during negotiations for Danny Manning, Sterling said "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid."[5][6] The suit noted those comments while alleging "the Caucasian head coach was given a four-year, $22-million contract," but Baylor's salary had "been frozen at a comparatively paltry $350,000 since 2003."[4]

On August 8, 2009, the U.S. Department of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination in using race as a factor in filling some of his apartment buildings. The government's ongoing case alleges Sterling refused to rent to non-Koreans in the Koreatown neighborhood and to African Americans in Beverly Hills.[5] The suit alleges Sterling once said he did not like to rent to Hispanics because they "smoke, drink and just hang around the building," and that "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."[5]

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sterling
A few years ago I would have made the comment Chronz made because Baron was getting paid nice and not putting up the stats to back it up but when I read the quoted information above I can't joke about Sterling anymore.

He's a ****ing ******* and if I was locked in a room with him with wouldn't have a limb on his body that wouldn't be broken!

MackShock
03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Sterling is a cheapskate

BIG worm
03-08-2012, 01:22 PM
both cp3 and blake will leave. book it

eugene
03-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Clippers have such a nice young team and I would feel soooo much sorry for them if such an idiot would be ruining their legacy, trust and chemistry...

justinnum1
03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Sterling=douchbag!

your being to kind

sterling=dirty douche

llemon
03-08-2012, 02:45 PM
WOW...IDK if Sterling is racist,seems that way if the reports i read on this page are correct;but this example is beyond racism,it shows Sterling as heartless. Im not saying he owes anyone,but if an employee that you KNOW CANT afford the life saving surgery and youre this uber rich guy and you dont try to be helpful?...bad look if you ask me.

A great majority of the uber-rich are heartless, soulless.....things.

Sterling is just more public about it.

llemon
03-08-2012, 02:48 PM
It says he didn't want to get traded from NOLA, not that he didn't want to play in GS or that he didn't enjoy his time in GS

Interesting, as the moment he was traded to Warriors, he shed all the injuries he was suffering as a Hornet, and became magically healthy.

Anyone else remember that?

Hawkeye15
03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Well, Baron was an unmotivated, out of shape loser before he showed up to the Clips as well at times. Its almost as if Baron just doesn't care if his team isn't a playoff team, and just stops working out. Just remembering his abilities with the Hornets, and watching him in that playoff series against the Mavs shows everyone what could have been if he took proper care of his body.

Whatever.

By the way, Sterling is a joke of a human being, for sure.

uprightciti
03-08-2012, 04:25 PM
I have always been a Baron Davis fan