PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy trade help

ajohnston12
03-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm struggling with a possible trade that I was offered in my fantasy baseball pool. Its a keeper league and the draft is coming up in 2 weeks. This is the offer:

I trade away: Jose Bautista, Mat Latos and my 9th round pick

for

a 2nd and 3rd rounder + Kendrick

There are 12 teams in the league which would mean if I do this trade I will have 5 picks in the first 36 slots (my picks + possible trade picks). Even though this is a keeper league, you can only keep a player for 3 years and this would be my last year I could keep Jose, next year he becomes free to the pool and I get nothing in return for that.

thoughts on trade?

es0terik
03-06-2012, 08:07 PM
It really depends on who is available in that second and third round. If all the Braun's, the Kemp's and the Cabrera's are on peoples teams already and there isn't really any top-echelon elite talent available to be drafted with those two picks, you would be wasting Bautista and Latos both for lesser talent.

wamco
03-06-2012, 10:38 PM
take the picks and the trade. Try bluffing and say it is a deal for your 11th though instead of 9th.

mike_noodles
03-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Important questions, how many keepers do you have? Who are your other keepers? What is the scoring system? Are there other restrictions on keepers? In my league, a player must be drafted and remain on a roster all season to be keeper eligible, so we have good talent at the top of the draft each year (This year it's guys like Lawrie and Jennings at the top of the heap).

It's hard to trade Bats, he will have 3B eligibility and you will have a hard time finding another 3B with that production, but if you could answer the above questions I could give you a better answer, but as is, I would say no. The chances of you being able to replace that production even in the first round is little to none. You may be better off to keep him and trade him towards the deadline.

bljay29
03-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Important questions, how many keepers do you have? Who are your other keepers? What is the scoring system? Are there other restrictions on keepers? In my league, a player must be drafted and remain on a roster all season to be keeper eligible, so we have good talent at the top of the draft each year (This year it's guys like Lawrie and Jennings at the top of the heap).

It's hard to trade Bats, he will have 3B eligibility and you will have a hard time finding another 3B with that production, but if you could answer the above questions I could give you a better answer, but as is, I would say no. The chances of you being able to replace that production even in the first round is little to none. You may be better off to keep him and trade him towards the deadline.

I agree, you shouldn't trade Jose now, i would hold on to him and make a trade where you can get a cpl players back to fill other positions or stats that you need, plus giving up Latos too almost makes it a no brainer i think

phillipmike
03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Depends trade Bautista and a potential ace in Latos really hurts your chances of winning this year. But getting a 2nd, 3rd and Kendrick help you a lot in the future.

By making this trade you lower your chances of winning but have a better chance of making a better longterm contender.

ajohnston12
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice....I've decided to hold off on the trade and keep Bautista for now.

yankswin27
03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
My offense and starting rotation are pretty much set. Even my bench is strong. The only place I could make improvements is in the bullpen, even with having five, potentially six closers now that I added Addison Reed. The deal I have been proposed is David Robertson, Erick Aybar, and Scott Downs for Jordan Walden, Yunel Escobar and Eduardo Sanchez. Deal or no deal?

I feel as though Escobar needs to be part of the trade, like I'm getting Aybar in the deal who is better than him, plus Downs is added to the deal and all I'd need to throw in is Sanchez. The thing about Escobar is that he's missed 20+ games in each of the past four years, has stolen base potential but doesnt steal bases, and you'd expect more power from him due to the home ballpark he plays in. With that said, I'm still worried about trading him, and I'm damn worried about trading Walden. I don't know who would get the better end of the deal. I have five closers right now, possibly six, but Walden is one of those closers I am scared to trade.

phillipmike
03-07-2012, 04:59 PM
My offense and starting rotation are pretty much set. Even my bench is strong. The only place I could make improvements is in the bullpen, even with having five, potentially six closers now that I added Addison Reed. The deal I have been proposed is David Robertson, Erick Aybar, and Scott Downs for Jordan Walden, Yunel Escobar and Eduardo Sanchez. Deal or no deal?

I feel as though Escobar needs to be part of the trade, like I'm getting Aybar in the deal who is better than him, plus Downs is added to the deal and all I'd need to throw in is Sanchez. The thing about Escobar is that he's missed 20+ games in each of the past four years, has stolen base potential but doesnt steal bases, and you'd expect more power from him due to the home ballpark he plays in. With that said, I'm still worried about trading him, and I'm damn worried about trading Walden. I don't know who would get the better end of the deal. I have five closers right now, possibly six, but Walden is one of those closers I am scared to trade.

Not bad, Robertson maybe the Yankees closer of the future. Aybar is as good or better than Yunel at this point and with AP signing he maybe more valuable. Walden is a bit of a wildcard, he had a great season but people say he is wild and may not be a closer much longer.

conway429
03-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I feel like my team's pretty sweet, 10-team (5th pick)

C - Buster Posey
1B - Ryan Howard
2B - Brandon Phillips
3B - Jose Bautista
SS - Erick Aybar
OF - Matt Holliday
OF - Hunter Pence
OF - Brett Gardner
Util - Cameron Maybin
Util - David Ortiz

SP - Roy Halladay
SP - Tim Lincecum
RP - Heath Bell
RP - Neftali Feliz
P - C.J. Wilson
P - Josh Johnson
P - Jeremy Hellickson
P - Doug Fister

BN - Yoenis Cespedes
BN - Adam Lind
BN - Mike Moustakas
BN - Jair Jurrjens
BN - Alexi Ogando

wamco
03-07-2012, 08:37 PM
quit rosterbaiting

Ragin' Cajun
03-08-2012, 09:20 AM
I would like opinion on my closers. I did an autodraft and really took a hit in my pitching. I have Jim Johnson and Chris Sale as RP.. I was thinking of picking up Salas and K-rod. Any of you guys think the 2 I have I worth keeping? I have no clue who they are.

It's head to head and stats for pitching are W, S, ERA, K

wardmcam
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1It really depends on who is available in that second and third round. If all the Braun's, the Kemp's and the Cabrera's are on peoples teams already and there isn't really any top-echelon elite talent available to be drafted with those two picks, you would be wasting Bautista and Latos both for lesser talent.
If all the Braun's, the Kemp's and the Cabrera's are on peoples teams already

mike_noodles
03-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I would like opinion on my closers. I did an autodraft and really took a hit in my pitching. I have Jim Johnson and Chris Sale as RP.. I was thinking of picking up Salas and K-rod. Any of you guys think the 2 I have I worth keeping? I have no clue who they are.

Another guy to keep an eye on if all the top closers are gone is Tyler Clippard of the Nats. His era was great last year and his k/9 has been 10+ for 3 straight seasons. He won't get you many saves but he'll throw 70+ innings and won't hurt your era or k's.

kaynzt
03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1It really depends on who is available in that second and third round. If all the Braun's, the Kemp's and the Cabrera's are on peoples teams already and there isn't really any top-echelon elite talent available to be drafted with those two picks, you would be wasting Bautista and Latos both for lesser talent.

the Kemp's and the Cabrera's are on peoples teams already and there isn't really any top-echelon elite talent available

StayOnBoard
03-08-2012, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't worry about closers if you didn't nab good ones during the draft.... I ended up 2 decent ones this year but Im just going to wait until the games start and closers get moved around for more, happens every single year. Last year I drafted 0 closers (no typo - literally zero) and by the end of the year I had 4-5 regular closers and had no problems with Saves. I don't remember who they all were but I know Jordan Walden and Sergio Santos were some of the guys I was using.

Needless to say, you'll find closers in the first month if you really pay attention to the waiver wire. Also, you can check if Myers is available, he's already been given the closers job early in spring training (and went undrafted in a lot of leagues).

es0terik
03-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Soria, Santos, Farnsworth, Street are a few names that come to mind when you think about guys that aren't getting drafted all the time and that will provide a crapload of saves. I got Santos and Farnsworth for $1 (fake money) in my ESPN Auction draft with nobody bidding on them. They were both the last two additions to my 25 man roster.

Shifty1 69
03-14-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm struggling with a possible trade that I was offered in my fantasy baseball pool. Its a keeper league and the draft is coming up in 2 weeks. This is the offer:

I trade away: Jose Bautista, Mat Latos and my 9th round pick

for

a 2nd and 3rd rounder + Kendrick

There are 12 teams in the league which would mean if I do this trade I will have 5 picks in the first 36 slots (my picks + possible trade picks). Even though this is a keeper league, you can only keep a player for 3 years and this would be my last year I could keep Jose, next year he becomes free to the pool and I get nothing in return for that.

thoughts on trade?
Depends on whether you are looking to compete this year. If not, wait till someone is desperate during the season. He should have 3b/OF elig in your league, there is value in that.

I would think you could do better than a 2nd rd pick for him (essentially a 3rd for Latos + an ok 2b in Kendrick)? He is an elite hitter in an elite class.