PDA

View Full Version : NBA owners to discuss ads on jerseys at next meeting

haggis
03-06-2012, 12:36 PM
It’s common in Europe — when you picture a Manchester United jersey you picture the AON on the chest. Same with any soccer or basketball team, the sponsors’ name where we expect to see the team name is expected.

What about ads on NBA jerseys? Patches somewhere promoting whatever company shelled out the bucks?

The NBA owners are going to discuss it at their next meeting, according to the Sports Business Journal (via Sporting News).

It’s a touchy topic, one that involves balancing some of the most influential league constituencies and addressing some thorny questions: Would uniform patches be league or team inventory? Will NBA broadcasters TNT and ESPN/ABC, or even uniform rights holder Adidas, want a piece of the action? Would the league take a PR hit as the first to accept non-endemic ads on uniforms?

Of course, the most important issue is also the most basic. “The most appropriate question and the answer we’re all waiting for is, ‘What is it worth?’” said Golden State Warriors president and COO Rick Welts, who did the WNBA’s first uniform advertising deal between the Phoenix Mercury and LifeLock in 2009. “I am not suggesting this is an easy issue, but I feel like it is inevitable. We just have to agree on value and what it would look like.”

One study last year said if you replaced a team name with an advertiser on a jersey it would be worth $31 million in exposure — and that was a conservative estimate that didn’t think about things like ESPN and other shows putting together nightly highlight packages. That’s a lot of money. It’s already been done on practice jerseys used only on a practice court at a training facility by a couple NBA teams (Suns for one).

What about something as simple as Adidas — the league’s uniform maker — moving its logo into a prominent place on the jersey (the name is not on the jersey now)?

My feeling is this is coming — first with a patch for a company with a recognizable logo. For example, the league sells the rights to McDonalds to put a patch with it’s arches on every jersey, then that money is distributed to teams. Just a guess, but I could see that coming in the next few years. I don’t have to like it, but it feels inevitable.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/06/nba-owners-to-discuss-ads-on-jerseys-at-next-meeting/

**** that noise.

CB29
03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
i just like the tags... i personally would not be for it though. cheapens the game imo.

310Casper
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
If they do this for the extra revenue, then i would hope they raise team payrolls too, more superteams please.

Sinestro
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Depends some logos ruin some really nice soccer jerseys, if they can make it work I'm all for it if not then screw it

beasted86
03-06-2012, 12:50 PM
If they do this for the extra revenue, then i would hope they raise team payrolls too, more superteams please.

That's the big problem. They'll add the ads, but won't increase the salary cap, won't pay arena employees more... then in 10 years complain the league is losing money and lockout the players for the 4th time.

It would look ugly and cheap. NFL, MLB, and NHL don't do it so NBA shouldn't/

Becks2307
03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
its gonna happen

LakersKB24
03-06-2012, 01:04 PM
That's the big problem. They'll add the ads, but won't increase the salary cap, won't pay arena employees more... then in 10 years complain the league is losing money and lockout the players for the 4th time.

That and we have enough ads everywhere here in Europe... That's what I love about US Sports. The teams try to make money as much as they can obviously but they keep their identity as much as possible.

Plus, that would lead to even more disparity financially.
The big companies most likely will sponsor the big market franchises. I don't see Mercedes Benz putting their logo on a Bobcats jersey.
They'd probably have to market the teams as a whole... I don't see one company alone paying all 30 NBA teams and 2-3 million for every team wouldn't justify this move.

I'd rather have them putting a logo or two on the court instead of on the uniforms.
The only ad I wouldn't mind at all is the Adidas logo on the jersey since they produce them...

Sactown
03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Oh gosh.. Image a legendary MJ game winning picture, but with a McDonalds Logo on his chest SMH :pity: the NBA is dying slowly

Hellcrooner
03-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Its unavoidable.
I dont like it tough.

MAY save some of those franchises that lose money arses.

PhillyFaninLA
03-06-2012, 01:15 PM
If the NBA becomes Nascar by doing this I'm done with the professional game for good.

gwrighter
03-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Oh gosh.. Image a legendary MJ game winning picture, but with a McDonalds Logo on his chest SMH :pity: the NBA is dying slowly

pretty much this. & with the increased revenue they won't even lower ticket prices so it's litereally an FU to the fans.

ghettosean
03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
its gonna happen
This...

Stern and others don't care about the game or how they cheapen it they just care about $$$

smith&wesson
03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
no logo's kill every thing. who wants "sony" under their city and team name ? or "coca-cola" that would be terrible I wuold never buy another jersey. infact they would lose money in jersey sales.

310Casper
03-06-2012, 01:29 PM
"And now your McDonalds dunk of the game, followed by the Burger King player of the game. But first, lets take you to craig sager for his sideline mercedez benz player report sitting next to the kia player of the year, Blake Griffin".

cue: Craig Sager wearing a red suit with a McDonalds tie and BigMac advertisement across his red pants, sitting next to Blake Griffin in an ad littered clippers jersey.

/year 2016

Bramaca
03-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Ofcourse it would increase the salary cap since it would be included in BRI. I doubt arena employees would get any extra though since it really has nothing to do with them.

I'm not huge on the idea of adds on jerseys but it can be a great source of income for the league without really doing anything extra at all.

thekmp211
03-06-2012, 01:35 PM
i really dont mind the idea. some of the classic jerseys would look really weird though.

mRc08
03-06-2012, 01:46 PM
at this point i really don't even care. while im not in favor of this, like others have said, its going to be inevitable. Once Wrigley Field put a huge toyota sign up and under armor advertisements on the outfields, i really lost all hope. The fact is it won't make me not watch the game, or love the game any less. It will add more revenue for owners, which is good considering most are "loosing money". Hopefully this will make owners more likely to go into the luxury tax and sign more players. Overall, i don't really care anymore. I don't see how some fans are saying they won't watch though because of jerseys? The game will be the same.

BKLYNpigeon
03-06-2012, 01:57 PM

more super teams? theres not enough of Talent.

The goods
03-06-2012, 01:59 PM
It would look extremely cheap but they'll see it as a way to make more money so its possible that it'll happen,and correct me if I'm wrong but won't that money go to the owners? It won't help the fans or their teams so their isn't really a reason to from my point of view.

BKLYNpigeon
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
I dont really care about the ads on the jerseys. its going to generate alot of revenue, at least 100 million a year for teams. I dont buy jerseys, I think all jerseys are tacky to wear out in public. I buy the occasional Hat or Vintage Tee.

The are all over Soccer jerseys, and I still watch.

NYMetropolitans
03-06-2012, 02:18 PM

:rolleyes: yes because branding on jerseys would really be such a horrible thing...who cares? I'm still watching for the basketball...not for dumb *** jerseys.

NoahH
03-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm not gonna buy or wear an NBA jersey that has the McDonald's logo on it

BKLYNpigeon
03-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Who cares, Im all for it as long as theres an incentive for fans. maybe they could lower ticket prices by 20% since the owners are making so much money.

haggis
03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Who cares, Im all for it as long as theres an incentive for fans. maybe they could lower ticket prices by 20% since the owners are making so much money.

There's literally not a chance in hell that would ever happen.

Aust
03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Just got done reading that as well.

My opinion:
**** THAT

I don't want these stupid owners turning my favorite sport into ****ing NASCAR.

ChicagoJ
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
It may happen no matter what, but when the stadiums started using corporate names it made me sick. This would just add to it. Keep corporate advertisers/spam out of the game. We see them enough during commercials on tv.

da ThRONe
03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Could careless. I watch to see players not jerseys.

LA_Raiders
03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Cheap Bastards, I hope they lower the merchandise and the tickets price too..

LA_Raiders
03-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Corona Beer will look nice in Lakers Jerseys...

LAKobeBryant
03-06-2012, 04:31 PM
are they that broke

tyfreaks brotha
03-06-2012, 04:31 PM
No thanks

Spridge 76
03-06-2012, 04:35 PM
At a time when a lot of teams are struggling to make money, this has to be a good thing.
Although sharing the wealth will be essential to retain any hope of balance in the NBA.

Where the big teams (Man Utd, Barca, Real Madrid etc) get all of the income from sponsorship in football, it has led to a ridiculous divide between the sides with money and the sides without. If the Lakers & Knicks get the bulk of this, you can start to ignore any implications of the luxury tax rules.

I also don't think having a sponsors logo on the jersey is any worse than watching the LA Lakers have "Los Lakers" on their jersey?