PDA

View Full Version : Raymond Felton - In a bad situation or just a bad player?

goblazers7
03-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Seems like the guy cannot do well for the Blazers. I've watched every game this season and he's getting silly turnovers like dribbling the ball off his leg, etc. He wasn't prepared for this season and I'm going to say he's just a worse because he's not in shape.

Would you want this guy on your team? What's his value?

ALSO: @ChrisBHaynes reports that Blazers and Lakers are in talks about Raymond Felton.

DerekRE_3
03-04-2012, 06:39 PM
He's solid. In a bad situation he's not very good (Blazers) and with a good situation he can be good (Knicks).

ManRam
03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
He had long been an average player, then played for the Knicks for half a season, got the Knicks hype machine working for him (he did play well, for sure), and now he's crashing back down to the mean. He's not this bad, but he was never a great PG. Just an average player IMO.

He definitely has not been in shape this season either. He still isn't...and that's unacceptable. He's noticeably chunkier and noticeably slower.

SA5195
03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
He had long been an average player, then played for the Knicks for half a season, got the Knicks hype machine working for him (he did play well, for sure), and now he's crashing back down to the mean. He's not this bad, but he was never a great PG. Just an average player IMO.

He definitely has not been in shape this season either. He still isn't...and that's unacceptable. He's noticeably chunkier and noticeably slower.

Exactly this.

SKINSZARDS
03-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Yea hes definitely overweight which isnt helping his game at all. I think he can bounce back from this first half of the year though hopefully

SmartestGuyHere
03-04-2012, 08:03 PM
He would be stellar on the Lakers

VCaintdead17
03-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Well said.

I think he can be a well above-average distributor in the right situation. He's got pretty good court vision and could help a lot of teams.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
He would be stellar on the Lakers

Not saying much. You could go to your local qym, pick up a random player, and that would be an upgrade over the PGs we have now.

utl768
03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
he is a good player on a bad team

sunsfan88
03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Suns would take him. He's played good before in a similar offense to ours plus he can backup Nash and learn from Steve.

Telfair for Felton?

Bruno
03-04-2012, 08:20 PM
bad situation.

in a pick and roll system like in NY, he put up 17/9/4/2. that's solid.

thekmp211
03-04-2012, 08:27 PM

yeah. it took larry brown like 3 seasons to get him to play decently in his slow-down system. mcmillan runs a similarly-paced offense. but yes even in NY where it was mostly his per game numbers that improved (and assist %'s being a d'antoni 1, point being his improvement as an actual player was probably minimal) he was not that great. the lakers would be an awesome fit and situation for him. okc and indiana are also playoff teams that i think he could help for the right price.

Teeboy1487
03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
He's always been a decent PG and in NY, he played very well. I thought he played decently in Denver as well. However, his worth ethic and attitude seems to be in question. Maybe he needs a change in scenery at this point. I will stir more towards a bad situation, but at the same time, he is bad for not staying in shape.

Tony_Starks
03-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Pretty much this. An offensively friendly Knick offense is always going to make anybody look good.(cough...cough...Lin) But placed in a normal situation he looks like he always has, inconsistent and average......

jimm120
03-04-2012, 08:33 PM

I don't believe this.

He was pretty good in Charlotte.

When he went to NY, he played like an allstar for 1 1/2 months.

THen he played well.

In Denver, he played ok.

In Portland, he's playing crappy.

End of the day, his track record shows that he is good. He's just having a putrid season.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-04-2012, 08:42 PM
He'll be a Laker soon enough. ;)

smith&wesson
03-04-2012, 08:48 PM
its the system in portland. alot of players arent doing well there its not just him. g.wallace, camby, felton, crawford are all going to get moved imo.

Evolution23
03-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Pretty much this. An offensively friendly Knick offense is always going to make anybody look good.(cough...cough...Lin) But placed in a normal situation he looks like he always has, inconsistent and average......

Felton was always an above average player. He's not all star but don't call him average. Larry Brown always said great things about him. The point is he has always been a solid point guard in the NBA and you can't call him inconsistent based on half a season.

Tony_Starks
03-04-2012, 08:50 PM
He'll be a Laker soon enough. ;)

They're talking about him for Blake. Even though Blake has been coming around lately I think you have to do it just because that glaring weakeness at PG is just too much to overcome in a regular offense. At least Felton is legit.

It's not like we have to triangle to hide these guys anymore.

Tony_Starks
03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Felton was always an above average player. He's not all star but don't call him average. Larry Brown always said great things about him. The point is he has always been a solid point guard in the NBA and you can't call him inconsistent based on half a season.

Above average maybe but not by much. And he was inconsistent in Charlotte there was a lot of times that the backup pg got his minutes during his time there. Thats one of the reasons Jordan let him go..... well that and Jordan is an inept idiot of a gm!

ManRam
03-04-2012, 08:55 PM
I don't believe this.

He was pretty good in Charlotte.

When he went to NY, he played like an allstar for 1 1/2 months.

THen he played well.

In Denver, he played ok.

In Portland, he's playing crappy.

End of the day, his track record shows that he is good. He's just having a putrid season.

So, taking the few months in NYK out...he's either "pretty good", "OK" or "crappy"? So you agree, sort of? All I'm saying is he was never a star, and I do think people suddenly started to think more highly of him after his brief stint in NYK. He always was a middle of the pack PG...and suddenly people started to think more of him. I don't think I'd ever have him in my top 10 PG list, except for those few months in NYK. And after that, I think people started to think he was a top 10 player...when he just wasn't. He's not a bad player, but he's also not a star. He is also not THIS bad. He's just fat and lazy right now...

I remember having debates when Felton was on the Knicks about who was better: Nelson or Felton. I felt my argument for that half a season was compelling enough to convince me that Jameer was better. So, if that was right (at the worst, they were very evenly skilled those few months), at his best he's been as good as Jameer Nelson. Now, no one here regards Jameer as anything better than just an average starting PG...so there's no reason to assume the same about Felton.

That's all I'm saying. I like him, but I guess he did become slightly overrated last year.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-04-2012, 09:09 PM
They're talking about him for Blake. Even though Blake has been coming around lately I think you have to do it just because that glaring weakeness at PG is just too much to overcome in a regular offense. At least Felton is legit.

It's not like we have to triangle to hide these guys anymore.

I really think Felton would have benefited if he had backcourt mate in Brandon Roy who could score and make plays with him, but if he's going solo in both of those departments in that backcourt, then he basically has to carry more of the burden and responsibilities.

But now, in LA, he will have that backcourt running mate in Kobe Bryant, and the guy will excel.

Bruno
03-04-2012, 09:16 PM
give felton big men who don't like to isolate their own looks like LA and he'd be money. him and bynum could do some damage. then you got pau and bryant on isos or pick and pops at the elbow and it could work out for LAL. rumors are brewin.

howiend
03-04-2012, 09:17 PM
watched him last night against the twolves for the first time this season and he played bad, overweight, slow, sloppy, the blazers are a good team/talented on the wings and at pf and desperately need a good pg - you put nash on the blazers and they are top 3 team record-wise in the west imo

spreadeagle
03-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Pau for Wallace and Felton, Pau could play C next to Aldrige in Portand that would be pretty good for them and Lakers would have Felton Kobe Wallace Murphy Bynum,thats a big upgrade IMO

Tony_Starks
03-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Pau for Wallace and Felton, Pau could play C next to Aldrige in Portand that would be pretty good for them and Lakers would have Felton Kobe Wallace Murphy Bynum,thats a big upgrade IMO

If I EVER see Murphy in our starting lineup Im karate kicking my tv screen!!! I would sooner persuade Lisa Lesley out of retirement and start her.

jimm120
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
So, taking the few months in NYK out...he's either "pretty good", "OK" or "crappy"? So you agree, sort of? All I'm saying is he was never a star, and I do think people suddenly started to think more highly of him after his brief stint in NYK. He always was a middle of the pack PG...and suddenly people started to think more of him. I don't think I'd ever have him in my top 10 PG list, except for those few months in NYK. And after that, I think people started to think he was a top 10 player...when he just wasn't. He's not a bad player, but he's also not a star. He is also not THIS bad. He's just fat and lazy right now...

I remember having debates when Felton was on the Knicks about who was better: Nelson or Felton. I felt my argument for that half a season was compelling enough to convince me that Jameer was better. So, if that was right (at the worst, they were very evenly skilled those few months), at his best he's been as good as Jameer Nelson. Now, no one here regards Jameer as anything better than just an average starting PG...so there's no reason to assume the same about Felton.

That's all I'm saying. I like him, but I guess he did become slightly overrated last year.

Is that what you and other posters were describing? If so, then hell yes!

He was never a star. I always knew he was pretty good in Charlotte. While with the Knicks, he elevated his play for the first two months of the season to all-star levels. Then he dropped off to playing well. In Denver, he played ok.

I meant everything I said. I was just disagreeing with you that he got the "New york hype". He really did play like an allstar. There is a reason the knicks were 15-1 during a stretch. Amare played at an MVP level. Felton played like an allstar. And Wilson Chandler played like a "I have to re-sign that guy" level. But after that (and before that), he was pretty good, but not ever an allstar.

If Felton's stock went up in NY, it was warranted. He played at an allstar level for a month and had 2 pretty good months. In Charlotte, he was merely pretty good to ok.

But in no way, shape or form was he ever helped by the NY media. He DID in fact play like an allstar for a while, so his stock rose. But I don't think anyone ever said he was anything more than what he was.