PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the Warriors move to San Francisco?

NYSpirit1
03-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Why don't they move to San Francisco or at least call themselves the San Francisco Warriors? They are literally within 10 miles of the city where they are located right now. After all, they were called the San Francisco Warriors back in 71'.

At this point, they want to get in on acquiring big name stars like Howard and the value of having a name like Golden State is really killing them at this point. It'd be much more beneficial for them to go with a name like San Francisco, it holds much more value.

Actually, I think Golden State is the only nickname for a pro sports team, it's weird. But whatever, I feel like that name is holding a player back from being like, 'I wanna play in a big city and market', 'I'll play in San Francisco'.

HouRealCoach
03-04-2012, 11:48 AM
They shouldnt move they have the best fans...

Corey
03-04-2012, 12:06 PM
They shouldnt move they have the best fans...
....?

You realize that San Francisco is like a 20 minute drive from Oakland, right?

It's not like they'd be moving across the state.

Ray
03-04-2012, 12:54 PM
The stadium is in Oakland, they probably get a lot of tax dollars playing there. San Francisco probably does not have a NBA caliber stadium to handle them.

PrettyBoyJ
03-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Why should they..their fan base is pretty strong and they're in a pretty good market.. They just need to win to get more national recognition.

Matrix3132
03-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Why don't they move to San Francisco or at least call themselves the San Francisco Warriors? They are literally within 10 miles of the city where they are located right now. After all, they were called the San Francisco Warriors back in 71'.

At this point, they want to get in on acquiring big name stars like Howard and the value of having a name like Golden State is really killing them at this point. It'd be much more beneficial for them to go with a name like San Francisco, it holds much more value.

Actually, I think Golden State is the only nickname for a pro sports team, it's weird. But whatever, I feel like that name is holding a player back from being like, 'I wanna play in a big city and market', 'I'll play in San Francisco'.

I think you're underestimating what the entire metro area has to offer in general, its a huge metro area and a big market, and no player is confused about Golden State not also being SF's team. It is not "killing them".

All your post is really saying is that you don't know anything about the Bay Area or some of the best sports fans in the country at all.

shep33
03-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Don't really have to, and why build an arena for hundreds of millions when your so close to SF anyways?

raidersrock99
03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
building permits are sorta iffy in san frnacisco, and there isnt a stadium ready to go so it would take a lot of work

GSRaider
03-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I've been hearing rumblings and rumors that the Warriors new owner ( Lacob ) wants a new stadium in SF... I think it's a great idea ( I'm biased, I live in SF )...

RaiderLakersA's
03-04-2012, 01:52 PM

If anything, they should call themselves the Oakland Warriors. They don't play in SF. They aren't based in SF, their headquarters is downtown Oakland atop the Oakland Convention Center.

Secondly, the city/county of San Francisco does not have a modern, conveniently accessible NBA sports facility. They'd probably have to play in the Cow Palace again, which is a crappy place for NBA games, if you ask me. The Oakland Arena is accessible via freeway (Interstate 880, a major artery, runs right by it), mass public transportation (the BART train system, which moves hundreds of thousands of passengers every day, has a convenient stop at the Oakland Coliseum/Arena), AND an international airport (OAK airport is a short 2-3 minute drive away, which makes it easy for visiting teams to get in and get out of the city).

Third, and most important, the media market is SF Bay Area. That includes Oakland and several other cities. They wouldn't be moving markets by crossing the Bay Bridge.

In short...don't get me wrong, SF is a great city, but there is a reason why the Niners are moving to Santa Clara. SF isn't one of those cities/counties that has to bend over backwards to accommodate a sports franchise...and they rarely do. (And before anyone mentions the Giants ballpark, do your research first. That stadium was financed primarily by corporate sponsors, not the City/County of SF.)

NoahH
03-04-2012, 01:54 PM
The reason they are GOLDEN STATE is so that includes San Francisco and Oakland. Those cities are within minutes of each other so really it doesn't matter

The Final Boss
03-04-2012, 02:03 PM

Why don't the Jets and Giants call themselves the New Jersey Jets and Giants? They haven't played in New York in over 30 years. Not another city, but they actually moved out of the state, entirely. :laugh:

Public Enemy #1
03-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Warriors will eventually move to San Francisco. Warriors and Giants were talking about building a new arena right next door to AT&T Park. It will take a couple of years, but it will eventually happen. The Warriors owner, Lacob already stated interest in moving the team to San Francisco a few months back.

The Final Boss
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
If anything, they should call themselves the Oakland Warriors. They don't play in SF. They aren't based in SF, their headquarters is downtown Oakland atop the Oakland Convention Center.

Secondly, the city/county of San Francisco does not have a modern, conveniently accessible NBA sports facility. They'd probably have to play in the Cow Palace again, which is a crappy place for NBA games, if you ask me. The Oakland Arena is accessible via freeway (Interstate 880, a major artery, runs right by it), mass public transportation (the BART train system, which moves hundreds of thousands of passengers every day, has a convenient stop at the Oakland Coliseum/Arena), AND an international airport (OAK airport is a short 2-3 minute drive away, which makes it easy for visiting teams to get in and get out of the city).

Third, and most important, the media market is SF Bay Area. That includes Oakland and several other cities. They wouldn't be moving markets by crossing the Bay Bridge.

In short...don't get me wrong, SF is a great city, but there is a reason why the Niners are moving to Santa Clara. SF isn't one of those cities/counties that has to bend over backwards to accommodate a sports franchise...and they rarely do. (And before anyone mentions the Giants ballpark, do your research first. That stadium was financed primarily by corporate sponsors, not the City/County of SF.)

And this is why your detail says, "Legend".

mgsports
03-04-2012, 02:54 PM
They should just move to Golden State and build a Arena their. The person who buys the Hornets should also buy the Coyotes move both to California.

asandhu23
03-04-2012, 03:06 PM
1. Joe Lacob says he wants to move there.
2. Arena has to be built. They can't go back to Cow Palace because it was a shithole in 60-70s.
3. Oracle Arena lease is till 2015. They will decide fate of arena with the next few years.
4. Joe is definitely moving here. He lives and works on this side of the Bay ( I know his son ).

MVP1
03-04-2012, 08:07 PM
They should. Oakland is ghetto.

Run&Gun
03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
2. Arena has to be built. They can't go back to Cow Palace because it was a shithole in 60-70s.
3. Oracle Arena lease is till 2015. They will decide fate of arena with the next few years.
4. Joe is definitely moving here. He lives and works on this side of the Bay ( I know his son ).

Exactly. on a weird consellation I know Kirk's roomates just haven't met him yet. But they said the same thing 2016.

mavwar53
03-04-2012, 08:33 PM

There is your answer to this thread, it is going to happen, its just going to take a little time.

Bruno
03-04-2012, 08:49 PM
having lived in san francisco, i always wished they had move into the city, but there's just zero room for an arena in san francisco, it's very dense up there. where would they put the new arena? south sf? very industrial. the giants lucked out, perfect location and stadium. plus, their taxes are insane.

if you start calling them the san francisco warriors, it makes no sense, as Oracle is in Oakland. it's a stones throw away from the oakland airport. also, there is a strong cross-bay rivalry between the raiders/49ers and the giants/A's. if you make the warriors SF, you might alienate a lot of those Oakland fans, who feel that the Warriors are in essnse, an Oakland team. 'golden state' simply keeps it neutral, and is a nice way of saying that it is a shared team.

a name change wouldn't be the difference, imo. nobody w/ big money wants to live in Oakland. and nobody wants to take the limo drive over the bridge, if deciding to live in sf- that traffic sucks. only way the become the sf warriors is if they get an arena in the 7x7.

mays217
03-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Pretty sure Lacob and Guber bought team with big plans of building state of the art arena, hopefully next to AT&T Park.

As for players wanting to come here, as ridiculous as it sounds, the majority of them are scared off by the cost of real estate and taxes. Very few professional athletes live in the bay area, despite it being one of the most beautiful places to live on earth. Their money goes a lot further in states like Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

KJ21.the.truth
03-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Or just call themselves the SF Warriors and stay put if theyre that close anyways?

Monta is beast
03-04-2012, 09:08 PM
They most likely will when their contract runs up in 2016.

goldenstater
03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
i personally think they will but i hope they Keep the Golden State name cause to move from Oakland and then change the name is a bit disrespectful to a large part of the fan base imo. you can still market in SF and keep from completely alienating part of the bay. people saying no cause they have a strong fanbase dont realize that the Warriors are the one team in the Bay that EVERYONE LIKES. so moving would make no difference they would still have the same loyal fanbase no matter where they are( Oakland, San Jo, or SF). they will show up no matter what its not just an Oakland thing, its a BAY thing.

Sanyo
03-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I know the Oakland A's need a new stadium because quite frankly -- have you been there??

But Oracle Arena is actually pretty decent. Its central to the valley cities and has the 880 and bart station beside it. If they move beside AT&T Park they wouldn't have access to that and it would be a pain to get to for people outside SF, especially weekdays where its just a pain in the butt to get around SF.

Playing in SF is just for the cache. SF is already pretty overbuilt and the only place they could try to put an arena is South SF close to the airport -- but its an ugly area and somewhat unsafe I doubt anyone would want to go there (check Candlestick Park and Cow Palace).

If anything they can try San Jose but that's quite far from the Bay and with hockey and potentially baseball already there, the last thing you want is all the major league teams there.

Bruno
03-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Pretty sure Lacob and Guber bought team with big plans of building state of the art arena, hopefully next to AT&T Park.

As for players wanting to come here, as ridiculous as it sounds, the majority of them are scared off by the cost of real estate and taxes. Very few professional athletes live in the bay area, despite it being one of the most beautiful places to live on earth. Their money goes a lot further in states like Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

Taxes in sf are absurd. that's why nobody in the film industry films there anymore either. not gona have another dirty harry anytime soon. with that being said, their public trans and community college is amazing.

man, these owners must be big spenders to want to put it next to att park. theyd have to buy up some of the most expensive real estate in the world, only to demolish it, then build a multi-million dollar facility. that's a lot of mola, but it could pay off for the 'san francisco warriors' in the long term.

ESaady
03-04-2012, 09:45 PM
I blame it on the hippies.

iFYouSeekAmy
03-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Golden State sounds cooler than San Francisco or Oakland Warriors. Although it'd be cool if they move to SF, they should stay in Oakland. Transportation is great. Additionally, fans who attend will attend. There's basically nothing outside of Oracle. If you have a ticket, you're going.

robbnen#31
03-04-2012, 11:21 PM
having lived in san francisco, i always wished they had move into the city, but there's just zero room for an arena in san francisco, it's very dense up there. where would they put the new arena? south sf? very industrial. the giants lucked out, perfect location and stadium. plus, their taxes are insane.

if you start calling them the san francisco warriors, it makes no sense, as Oracle is in Oakland. it's a stones throw away from the oakland airport. also, there is a strong cross-bay rivalry between the raiders/49ers and the giants/A's. if you make the warriors SF, you might alienate a lot of those Oakland fans, who feel that the Warriors are in essnse, an Oakland team. 'golden state' simply keeps it neutral, and is a nice way of saying that it is a shared team.

a name change wouldn't be the difference, imo. nobody w/ big money wants to live in Oakland. and nobody wants to take the limo drive over the bridge, if deciding to live in sf- that traffic sucks. only way the become the sf warriors is if they get an arena in the 7x7.

They can put the stadium in china basin across mccovey cove from at&t.

Wolfman01
03-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Yeah it makes sense for the Warriors to move to across the bay area to San Francisco. San Francisco is a big city and they would definity draw people to come to watch their games. I really like the Warriors organzation but they lack of defense for so many years but it's also fun to watch their players score a lot of points.

Monta is beast
03-05-2012, 02:26 AM
I read an article a few months back that Lacob had met with the mayor of S.F, and they had talks about building a new arena next to AT&T park. The mayor wants the arena to blend into the urban environment, so if an arena is built there, it will look different then almost all others.

obie
03-05-2012, 02:32 AM
....?

You realize that San Francisco is like a 20 minute drive from Oakland, right?

It's not like they'd be moving across the state.

would hurt the commute for us south bay fans.

the will move to SF. Joe Lacob wants to move the team there

Raph12
03-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Considering the fact that SF is literally like 15-30mins (depending on traffic) from Oakland, it would be stupid to move the team to SF... No offence.

abe_froman
03-05-2012, 03:12 AM
i heard that they are trying to.going to in few years.but the lease at the oracle isnt up yet and there is no suitable nba level stadium in sf currently,one has to be built

F()()TBALL
03-05-2012, 03:54 AM
I think you're underestimating what the entire metro area has to offer in general, its a huge metro area and a big market, and no player is confused about Golden State not also being SF's team. It is not "killing them".

All your post is really saying is that you don't know anything about the Bay Area or some of the best sports fans in the country at all.

THIS x 10000000

Trueblue2
03-05-2012, 07:42 AM
They should definitely renovate the Cow Palace and move the team there. In between Oakland and San Francisco and it can definitely hold enough fans.

NothingbutWill
03-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Nooo...stay in oakland. I already hate the traffic near Embarcadero when the Giants are playing. I don't need to be stuck in traffic when the Warriors are playing as well.

I'm kidding. Would love to have the Warriors move to SF. Maybe they can use Candlestick park since the Niners are relocating.

theheatles
03-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Garden State Nets
Sunshine State Magic
Peach State Hawks
Empire State Knicks
Hoosier State Pacers
Prairie State Bulls

none sound quite as good as golden state warriors