PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant says no rivals in career (w/Metta World Peace on background vocals)

RaiderLakersA's
03-04-2012, 01:15 AM
The Black Mamba just telling it like it is. :D

Guess this explains why he was so upset with LeBron for not taking that last shot in the AS game. The guy just wants a challenge, even at this stage of his career.

From ESPN

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7640850/los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant-says-had-no-rivals-16-year-nba-career

Saturday, March 3, 2012
Kobe Bryant says no rivals in career

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- Lakers guard Kobe Bryant has always been lauded for his self-motivation and drive to be the best. It's a good thing he has that internal ambition, because according to Bryant, he's gone through his 16-year career without a true rival on the exterior to push him to succeed.

"I didn't have one," Bryant said after scoring 38 points in the Lakers' 115-107 win over the Sacramento Kings on Friday.

The Lakers play host to the Miami Heat on Sunday. Bryant called it a "measuring stick" game against Miami, which has the third-best record in the league at 28-8 and is 3-0 against Bryant and the Lakers since "The Decision."

More on the Lakers

For more news and notes on the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky brothers. Blog

Despite Bryant's acknowledging that it's not just another game, he wouldn't characterize his relationship with LeBron James as a rivalry.

"Not for me," Bryant said. "I get up for everybody just the same, to be honest. It's hard for me to turn my meter up any higher than it normally is."

OK, Bryant was asked, how about Dwyane Wade? After all, Wade plays shooting guard just as Bryant does, Wade has one Finals MVP trophy to Bryant's two, and Wade has to be close to as competitive as Bryant or else he wouldn't have given Bryant that hard foul across the face in the All-Star Game.

"He's too young," Bryant said. "He's too young. When I came into the league, he was in elementary school."

Bryant is three years older than Wade, but was already a seven-year veteran when Wade was drafted in 2003.

Bryant said it is "a little late in the game" for him to develop a rivalry with any current NBA player, so instead he is chasing names in the record books rather than in box scores from the 2011-12 season.

"At this point my rivals, in terms of what I have left to accomplish in my career, (left the game) when Magic (Johnson) and Michael (Jordan) retired in '98," Bryant said, referring to the second of Jordan's three retirements that came after he won his sixth and final championship with the Chicago Bulls. "That's it. In terms of what I'm looking to accomplish, that's about it."

Bryant is one championship behind Jordan, with five, which ties him with Johnson, who also won all five of his rings with the Lakers. Earlier in the season Bryant said he was "obsessed" with adding another championship to his collection.

"What I have left to accomplish, those players retired a long time ago," Bryant said.

The San Antonio Spurs' Tim Duncan won four championships to Bryant's five throughout their shared careers, but Bryant said while the Spurs might have qualified as a team rival to his Lakers, Duncan's individual rivalry came against Shaquille O'Neal as a fellow big man.

"He was never in my position," Bryant said. "He was more Shaq's rival than mine. As a team, the Spurs were always a team that we had to go through. So from that standpoint, yes, but in terms of personally, no. I've outgrown them all, from A.I. (Allen Iverson) when I first came in to (Tracy) McGrady to Vince Carter and so forth and so on."

Bryant said that he developed the desire to win multiple championships from an early age.

"It's always what I want to accomplish," Bryant said. "That's what you set your goals at. Growing up, watching them, they've always won multiple championships and that was always something that I felt like must be done. So, my goal originally when I was a kid and so forth, and when I was a teenager, always started from gauging them."

That gives James and Bryant something in common, of course, even though James was ridiculed for his now-infamous, made-for-TV interview when he declared he wanted to win "not four, not five, not six, not seven &" championships with the Miami Heat.

James was under the microscope again Friday after putting up 35 points, 10 rebounds, six assists and three blocked shots against the Utah Jazz in helping to overcome an 18-point deficit, but he passed off to Udonis Haslem with the outcome on the line. Haslem missed a potential game-winning shot in the Heat's 99-98 loss.

The NBA All-Star Game ended in similar fashion. Instead of attempting the potential game-winning shot with Bryant guarding him, James' pass to Carmelo Anthony was stolen in the waning seconds of a tight game. Bryant heckled James at the time, imploring him to shoot the ball, but said on Friday he only did that because he wanted the duty of defending the player who was taking the last shot.

"I think everybody kind of took it out of context in terms of his performance last year in the Finals, like I was out there thinking about that or something," Bryant said. "It was moreso the challenge that I wanted. I wanted him to try to score. I wanted that challenge [to guard him]. So, I was more upset than anything that I didn't get a chance to face that."

Bryant might not get to face James in a last-second scoring situation Sunday, but he'll certainly see plenty of him for 48 minutes -- whether he thinks of him as a rival or not.

"The big test is Sunday," Bryant said. "I'm very interested to see how we respond to that challenge."

Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Davidgta1
03-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Shaq

whitemamba33
03-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Hard to disagree with anything he said, even if you hate the guy.

They lost to the Pistons, they lost to The Spurs, but neither of those teams had a SG that could rival him. AI, TMAC, VC...there is only one Finals showing between them, and it wasn't even a close one.

The man is in his 16th season. He's right, too late to start rivalries now, especially when he's competing with all time numbers.

Everything he said makes sense. So it will be interesting to see how PSD destroys this one.

The Final Boss
03-04-2012, 02:30 AM
If O'neal and Bryant were able to put their egos aside they'd have at least 8 rings right now. :facepalm:As for the rival talk, Bryant is in a class of his own. Jordan is ******** as the best to play, but there is NO doubt Kobe Bryant played/plays against VASTLY superior athletes. If Kobe played in the 80's-first half of the 90's he would have taken a Jordan and wiped his Pippen.

stawka
03-04-2012, 02:34 AM
If O'neal and Bryant were able to put their egos aside they'd have at least 8 rings right now. :facepalm:As for the rival talk, Bryant is in a class of his own. Jordan is ******** as the best to play, but there is NO doubt Kobe Bryant played/plays against VASTLY superior athletes.

Agreed with everything EXCEPT Kobe playing against superior athletes

Iverson/T-Mac/VC/Duncan/Dwight/KG/Pierce/Dirk and a few others. Wade/Bron shouldn't count because they're in their prime and Kobe is in his 16th season

Jordan played against about 10 GREAT Centers, Clyde, Barkley, Magic etc etc etc. the competition Jordan faced doesn't compare imho

Mr_Jones
03-04-2012, 02:46 AM
If O'neal and Bryant were able to put their egos aside they'd have at least 8 rings right now. :facepalm:As for the rival talk, Bryant is in a class of his own. Jordan is ******** as the best to play, but there is NO doubt Kobe Bryant played/plays against VASTLY superior athletes. If Kobe played in the 80's-first half of the 90's he would have taken a Jordan and wiped his Pippen.

Wtf? Lol

titties

Aust
03-04-2012, 02:55 AM
It's always fun to find a rival to push yourself.

KingOf215
03-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Iverson was the closest thing to a rival he had... It's a shame ai couldn't last. It had a great build with him being in same draft class and playing on Kobes home squad.

Rndy
03-04-2012, 03:04 AM
If Ray Ray went to a contender sooner in his career he would have been a great rival. He could have been Reggie Miller vs Jordan. He was apart of a few teams that made playoff runs in 01 and 05 but until he got to Boston he didn't play a lot of games in the playoffs.

bballswishanet
03-04-2012, 03:05 AM
Actually, Kobe does have one rival...

No one in the NBA for 16 years compared to him but has he finally met his match?

Click to find out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h71D2UnKxpk&feature=related

sjbirds
03-04-2012, 03:06 AM
Iverson was the closest thing to a rival he had... It's a shame ai couldn't last. It had a great build with him being in same draft class and playing on Kobes home squad. didn't last long? Iverson had 12 solid years ... just didn't play against each other enough ...

Rndy
03-04-2012, 03:09 AM

I think Shaq and Bryant could have won more games. But other then that I really disagree with you. Jordan played against some fantastic players. This era of Basketball isn't as hard as the 90's. With all the BS foul calls and 3 second calls it's a lot easier for people like Kobe. Jordan got a lot of calls for his era if he played in this era he's get a ridiculous amount of fta.

Kobe and Shaq should have won more rings but Jordan and Pippen should have as well if Jordan didn't leave so many times.

Fnom11
03-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Lebron's and Wade's teams (respectively) sucked when the Lakers were good and Kobe's sucked when Wade's and Lebrons teams were good. So he's pretty much right.

stawka
03-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Lebron's and Wade's teams (respectively) sucked when the Lakers were good and Kobe's sucked when Wade's and Lebrons teams were good. So he's pretty much right.

Don't be stupid now. Leave it to the others to do it. Just STFU and support your team whether it's a win or a loss, prove your point that way man. Don't make your whole fan base look bad

naps
03-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Well considering any shooting guards of his generation (AI, Tmac, Vince) never was lucky enough to play with a prime Shaq or a prime Gasol or never had stacked teams (like Kobe 90% of his career), the rivalry didn't grow up. You have to face each other in the playoffs for years to form a rivalry. That just never happened because Kobe's contemporary elite shooting guards played in sucky teams that didn't have the talents to go far enough to meet Kobe in the playoffs. Magic-Bird, Russell-Wilt were true rivalries.

Bruno
03-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Well considering any shooting guards of his generation (AI, Tmac, Vince) never was lucky enough to play with a prime Shaq or a prime Gasol or never had stacked teams (like Kobe 90% of his career), the rivalry didn't grow up. You have to face each other in the playoffs for years to form a rivalry. That just never happened because Kobe's contemporary elite shooting guards played in sucky teams that didn't have the talents to go far enough to meet Kobe in the playoffs. Magic-Bird, Russell-Wilt were true rivalries.

his competitors fizzled out, were too young, or too old to keep up with him for a decade and a half. even if these guys had the teammates to meet the lakers in the playoffs year in and year out as you mention, most of these guys fizzled out on their own, regardless of their own team situations. yes, most didn't have the same good fortune as bryant, but most also didn't keep it up personally for half as long as bryant.

Wade, Pierce, and Ginobli were the only ones who kept it up for a decade. they're the only ones who didn't fizzle out before 30. they are the only ones worthy to be in the discussion.

Fnom11
03-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Don't be stupid now. Leave it to the others to do it. Just STFU and support your team whether it's a win or a loss, prove your point that way man. Don't make your whole fan base look bad

What? You completely misinterpreted my point.

Since Kobe became relevant, around the 2000 era, there were no real superstar SG/SFs that had longevity outside of Dwade and Lebron. Lakers were good in the 2000-2004(pre-LBJ/Wade time). During the 2005-2008 seasons the Lakers were irrelevant and the Cavs and Heat were on the up and coming. After those years the Heat fell of drastically and the Cavs were still a threat but never got that Cavs/Lakers finals that would've made LBJ/Kobe potential rivals. This year and last year the Lakers digressed back into mediocrity and the Heat are contenders.

My point was they never had that opportunity to become rivals because their respective teams weren't real contenders at the same times to warrant it as such.

I didn't Tmac Iverson or Vince because outside of Iverson they were never playoff threats and had short primes due to injuries.

naps
03-04-2012, 07:36 AM
his competitors fizzled out, were too young, or too old to keep up with him for a decade and a half. even if these guys had the teammates to meet the lakers in the playoffs year in and year out as you mention, most of these guys fizzled out on their own, regardless of their own team situations. yes, most didn't have the same good fortune as bryant, but most also didn't keep it up personally for half as long as bryant.

Wade, Pierce, and Ginobli were the only ones who kept it up for a decade. they're the only ones who didn't fizzle out before 30. they are the only ones worthy to be in the discussion.

Fair enough. I do think if Iverson and Kobe were in the same conference and if Iverson had a good enough team to compete with those Shaq-Kobe Lakers their rivalry would be a great one considering Iverson had long enough prime. Pierce was also in a difference conference and didn't have a good enough team to meet bryant in the finals during his prime years. Vince and Tmac either didn't have a good team or had too short of primes. While Manu is a great shooting guard he's just not in that top notch level to make it a rivalry. Wade is the only one who is from equal class of Kobe but he started 7 years after Kobe. He's also from a difference conference and didn't have a contending team for most of his career. I wish Wade and Kobe were in same conference. I am sure their playoffs battles would ones for ages. We still have 2 more years to see if they meet up in the finals though. Let's see what happens.

waveycrockett
03-04-2012, 08:31 AM
He is lying if he is saying he didn't have a rival. He came out of the best draft class of all time, he definitely had rivials. T-Mac was a worthy rival as was AI they just didn't have Shaq.

masTOR_shake1
03-04-2012, 09:23 AM
5 rings and a rape conviction that went away,,,yea i'll say.

sb123
03-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Hate the Lakers but Kobe is right.

Memo to LBJ from Kobe: And if you don't like it, eat d*ck.

AIRMAR72
03-04-2012, 11:58 AM

i agree furthermore when kobe had to guard AI or tracy (orlando version) kobe couldnt guard those guys like you said neither guy had a bigmen to deal with shaq who demand 2-3 players everytime he touches the ball kobe those earlier day had more 1on1 coverage from the opposition and kobe still couldnt 50%

NYSpirit1
03-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Did anyone notice this year how Kobe keeps talking about being an elder statesmen and talking about how all the superstars are babies in the league?

Recently, he just said Wade isn't a rival and he was in elementary school when Kobe entered the league. Actually, Wade is three years younger and was probably a freshman in high school when Kobe was a senior.

It's almost like the five rings went to his head and now he's dismissing any other competition in the NBA. Nonetheless, a different tune from Kobe this year.

FriedTofuz
03-04-2012, 12:20 PM
He isnt actually a Grandpa but I see what you did there. :laugh2:
He keeps saying people are babies because of their immaturity.

NBAfan4life
03-04-2012, 12:29 PM
I guess the OP doesn't understand that by almost anyone's standards in almost any professional sport 16 years will make you a grandpa career wise.

Redskins10
03-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Umm what? He made a great point. What are you mad about?

RaiderLakersA's
03-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Did anyone notice this year how Kobe keeps talking about being an elder statesmen and talking about how all the superstars are babies in the league?

Recently, he just said Wade isn't a rival and he was in elementary school when Kobe entered the league. Actually, Wade is three years younger and was probably a freshman in high school when Kobe was a senior.

It's almost like the five rings went to his head and now he's dismissing any other competition in the NBA. Nonetheless, a different tune from Kobe this year.

Wow, that's a very peculiar and myopic slant to say the least. You're not seeing the whole picture.

When Kobe speaks it is through the prism of having much more basketball experience and mileage than any of his "contemporaries." It is not just about physical age. It is about the grind, the wear and tear (both physically and mentally), the achievements through many pressurized NBA seasons and the wisdom that comes with longevity.

You mention D. Wade, so I'll use him as the example. Yes, in physical age the two are close. But in basketball years, Dwayne has been in the league for only 8 years. Kobe has been in the league for 16 years. 16. That's almost a ten year gap. To give you some kind of perspective here, Magic Johnson came into the league about 10 years after Kareem Abdul Jabbar. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Kareem was the elder statesman in that respect.

Seriously, people, think before you start nonsensical posts.

Hawkeye15
03-04-2012, 12:36 PM

Pretty much. During Kobe's tenure, the east has pretty much sucked as a whole, when speaking of teams that he would see in the finals on a routine basis. How many times did Bird and Magic meet in the finals? That is where you develop a rivalry (not to mention Mich St-Indiana St). I don't think Jordan technically had a rival either. He hated those Pistons teams, but they feel into obscurity after he finally got by them.

BULLSFAN0810
03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
What KOBE is saying in HIS way...in which i love...Hes saying...To title a JayZ song"IM ALREADY HOME". He saying Nicely..Wade isnt a challenge,even at this age. He isnt an Elite..Wade is Drexler,and Kobe is MJ....but Kobe doesnt even acknowledge WADE as Drexler...LOL...FUNNY? Kobe is saying IMO he blew all the comp out to the point there is none. He is saying he is soo good his comp is ghosts...WHO SAYS THAT? Kobe saying he is sooo beyond these dudes he chasing the past players trying to out do them. KOBE IS THE ISH!

thekmp211
03-04-2012, 12:48 PM
chill out. the elder statesman/kobe system kobe has made me a believer late in his career. he goes about his life as this irreverent parody of himself and what people think he is or should be, literally not giving a **** about anything besides hoops.

Hawkeye15
03-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I will say, its always awesome when players talk about how amazing they are!

Kobe fans wonder why so many can't stand the guy...

thekmp211
03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Pretty much. During Kobe's tenure, the east has pretty much sucked as a whole, when speaking of teams that he would see in the finals on a routine basis. How many times did Bird and Magic meet in the finals? That is where you develop a rivalry (not to mention Mich St-Indiana St). I don't think Jordan technically had a rival either. He hated those Pistons teams, but they feel into obscurity after he finally got by them.

i'd say the jazz were his rival, or rather utah definitely considered him THEIR rival towards the end. drexler and dominique were the wade/tmac to kobes mj if we want to play the comparison out.

i don't see his comment as a shot at wade, to be honest. kobe was possibly the best basketball player in the world with multiple rings when wade was a rookie. age in this sense has nothing to do with birthdays and everything to do with your on-court lifetime.

ghettosean
03-04-2012, 12:54 PM
I agree with both of them having 8 rings by now but it's important to note 2 things if they did stay together Kobe wouldn't be currently known as a top 10 player of all time and also probably the greatest laker of all time (if not one of them). Kobes legacy is much greater now as it would have looked like he rode Shaq to his multiple championships and Shaq would probably be the greatest laker of all time over Kobe.

Longhornfan1234
03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
What KOBE is saying in HIS way...in which i love...Hes saying...To title a JayZ song"IM ALREADY HOME". He saying Nicely..Wade isnt a challenge,even at this age. He isnt an Elite..Wade is Drexler,and Kobe is MJ....but Kobe doesnt even acknowledge WADE as Drexler...LOL...FUNNY? Kobe is saying IMO he blew all the comp out to the point there is none. He is saying he is soo good his comp is ghosts...WHO SAYS THAT? Kobe saying he is sooo beyond these dudes he chasing the past players trying to out do them. KOBE IS THE ISH!

^^^^^

This guy gets it... :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Kobe is on another level than D.Wade.

The Final Boss
03-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Agreed with everything EXCEPT Kobe playing against superior athletes

Iverson/T-Mac/VC/Duncan/Dwight/KG/Pierce/Dirk and a few others. Wade/Bron shouldn't count because they're in their prime and Kobe is in his 16th season

Jordan played against about 10 GREAT Centers, Clyde, Barkley, Magic etc etc etc. the competition Jordan faced doesn't compare imho

I think Shaq and Bryant could have won more games. But other then that I really disagree with you. Jordan played against some fantastic players. This era of Basketball isn't as hard as the 90's. With all the BS foul calls and 3 second calls it's a lot easier for people like Kobe. Jordan got a lot of calls for his era if he played in this era he's get a ridiculous amount of fta.

Kobe and Shaq should have won more rings but Jordan and Pippen should have as well if Jordan didn't leave so many times.

I don't think people understand what I'm referring to in 'athletes'. I'm not saying Jordan didn't have competition, I'm saying Bryant played against superior athletes. Humans evolve every 10-12 years and as new generations recycle so does their athleticism. Athletes can run faster, shift quicker, jump higher, lift more, and are better conditioned now than ever before. And I'm not even talking about the medical/conditioning/training advancements. It's the reason clicks are shaved off of 40-yard-dash times. It's the reason a 15 year old can jump out of the gym. Look at the generations of players throughout time and look where we stand today. A prime Marcus Camby could have a Bill Russell type effect on the NBA in the 60's, Steve Nash would **** on Bob Cousy. When we rank players we should rank them any other way than by generation.

The Final Boss
03-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Man, don't ever put Bryant in Jay Z's category or compare them. His publishing money should go to Biggie's mom. I do agree, though, that Wade and these other clowns aren't even in the discussion and Bryant's rivals are the record books.

RaiderLakersA's
03-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Highlighting the above line to demonstrate Kobe's point.

Jordan and the Bulls didn't just "get by" the Pistons. For three straight years, Detroit sent Jordan packing. But the Bulls didn't stop trying, pushing, battling to get better and be the best. And those confrontations with Detroit were legendary. I miss that era.

For all of the excuses that we like to give AI, TMac, etc., etc., they had just as much opportunity to be that rival as anyone else. Early in his career Iverson certainly did. The East was weak enough that AI's Sixers should have been in the Finals every year. But by the time that AI made it to Denver, what happened then? Kobe was still going strong and hard, but AI had fizzled out. Explain this.

Same goes for TMac. He played in Houston and should have been the perfect candidate for a longterm rivalry with Kobe's Lakers. But he, too, fell off.

I won't bother discussing Vince Carter other than to say that the line about him not having Kobe's will is dead on. Thank you Jeff Van Gundy for saying it.

We can blame circumstances all day long, but at some point you have to acknowledge the reality. To say that Kobe was "lucky" is a copout.

The NBA game is not a sprint, it's an iron man competition. Nevertheless, Kobe is still here in his 16th season a force to be reckoned with each and every game, still making buckets.

I wish AI was still going strong and in the hunt. I hope that Tmac gets a ring before he hangs them up. But I'm not going diminish what Kobe has done -- is STILL doing -- because those men never played with Shaq or Pau.

shep33
03-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Yeah, but I mean Kobe has played twice as many years as Wade.

justjames
03-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Kobe is an awesome crotchety old man.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-04-2012, 02:10 PM

With this logic, most superstars in the league should be hated (except a few like Tim Duncan). You guys hate Kobe because the media constantly shoves him down your throat, and he has been successful for a long time.

waveycrockett
03-04-2012, 03:18 PM
This thread makes me realize how old kobe actually is!

thephoenixson28
03-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Thought he said he hated the suns.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
From an individual skills and game standpoint, Kobe is right. When he started his career, he was basically chasing AI and overcame AI by both of their 6th seasons in the league, after that, Vince and T-Mac came and gave Kobe a good run for his money, but they last for maybe 3 yrs.

Then came Paul Pierce and Ginobili, and those guys had some team success and titles, but individually for an extended period of time, they wouldn't be able to put up the scoring numbers that Kobe did. They had really nice and polished offensive games, just not as good as Kobe's.

And then came LeBron (Cavs version) and Wade (Early Heat version w/ Shaq) and it looked like they were going to be Kobe's toughest competitions. But after playoff failures for LeBron and we slowly found out that Wade was made of glass, perception began to change, but LeBron in some way or some form had the type of game and ability that surpassed Kobe in 2009. Individually, LeBron was on top of the world among perimeter players for 2 yrs, but then he decided to join that other skilled perimeter player in South Beach, and the crown went back to Kobe. Wade and LeBron can play well individually, but now they feed off each other. They are no longer in the discussion of a rivarly with Kobe because those 2 guys have each other. It would turn out to a 2-on-1 handicap match like you see in professional wrestling.

That's really the only way I see LeBron/Wade when being compared to Kobe.

naps
03-04-2012, 04:12 PM
He isnt actually a Grandpa but I see what you did there. :laugh2:
He keeps saying people are babies because of their immaturity.

Oh, please. Don't tell me Kobe is mature in any way, form, or shape. He's a brilliant player who has sustained an unbelievable prime but maturity and Kobe doesn't go in the same sentence, and that goes both on and off the court. Pretty sure rational Lakers fans know what I am talking about exactly.

naps
03-04-2012, 04:18 PM
From an individual skills and game standpoint, Kobe is right. When he started his career, he was basically chasing AI and overcame AI by both of their 6th seasons in the league, after that, Vince and T-Mac came and gave Kobe a good run for his money, but they last for maybe 3 yrs.

Then came Paul Pierce and Ginobili, and those guys had some team success and titles, but individually for an extended period of time, they wouldn't be able to put up the scoring numbers that Kobe did. They had really nice and polished offensive games, just not as good as Kobe's.

And then came LeBron (Cavs version) and Wade (Early Heat version w/ Shaq) and it looked like they were going to be Kobe's toughest competitions. But after playoff failures for LeBron and we slowly found out that Wade was made of glass, perception began to change, but LeBron in some way or some form had the type of game and ability that surpassed Kobe in 2009. Individually, LeBron was on top of the world among perimeter players for 2 yrs, but then he decided to join that other skilled perimeter player in South Beach, and the crown went back to Kobe. Wade and LeBron can play well individually, but now they feed off each other. They are no longer in the discussion of a rivarly with Kobe because those 2 guys have each other. It would turn out to a 2-on-1 handicap match like you see in professional wrestling.

That's really the only way I see LeBron/Wade when being compared to Kobe.

Please give an statistically detailed background on that bolded line. Wade has played 79, 77, 76 games last 3 years. He had that unfortunate shoulder displacement (which could happen to anyone) in 2007 and he missed 62 games in two season because of that. Ever since that starting from the 2008 olympics when was he unhealthy for a long enough period so that someone can make a statement like "He's made of glass"?

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Please give an statistically detailed background on that bolded line. Wade has played 79, 77, 76 games last 3 years. He had that unfortunate shoulder displacement (which could happen to anyone) in 2007 and he missed 62 games in two season because of that. Ever since that starting from the 2008 olympics when was he unhealthy for a long enough period so that someone can make a statement like "He's made of glass"?

His injuries and missed games in this already condensed season proves it. He's already had to sit out due to a bum knee, bum ankle. Maybe it has more to do with his wreckless game and him playing 100 mph on every possession.

UPRock
03-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I like how he thinks hes the best, when EACH year since his rookie season a player have come out and beat his season numbers, I just don't understand.

whitemamba33
03-04-2012, 04:27 PM

I don't know about you, but I don't see a whole lot of Lakers fans praising Kobe for being a great "person".

If he's not your friend, trust me, I'm not wondering why.

And it's not like he said he's the best shooting gaurd in the league or anything...

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I like how he thinks hes the best, when EACH year since his rookie season a player have come out and beat his season numbers, I just don't understand.

And how long as that one player last. Maybe 3 or 4 yrs at best and then disappeared into oblivion? Longevity my man, longevity.

naps
03-04-2012, 04:53 PM
His injuries and missed games in this already condensed season proves it. He's already had to sit out due to a bum knee, bum ankle. Maybe it has more to do with his wreckless game and him playing 100 mph on every possession.

I understand he's not as durable as LeBron or Dwight but he certainly isn't glass. He's showed it over time.

Tony_Starks
03-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Obviously he's talking from an individual perspective. Individually he hasn't had a rival. Everyone from his draft class that people used to debate were better than him have either fallen off completely, or are nowhere near their former selves. Kobe is 16 years in and still one of the best all around players in the game.

You can hate the guy all you want but what he said is straight up truth....

kArSoN RyDaH
03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Kobe vs Iverson
Kobe vs Duncan
Kobe vs TMac
Kobe vs Carter
Kobe vs Nash
Kobe vs Wade
Kobe vs Lebron
Kobe vs Durant
Kobe vs Dirk

The list goes on. Fact of the matter is KObe has remained at the top.

FlakeyFool
03-04-2012, 09:07 PM
he would have taken a Jordan and wiped his Pippen.

you won the thread

Spiggity_ace
03-04-2012, 09:08 PM
kobe had diff rivals throughout his career and he trumped em all, i remember all the tmac is better than kobe talk, kobe sort of competed with VC, kobe had a decent rivalry with AI and now the younger gen of bron and wade, and even younger in durant, but he outlasted all those guys cept the ones playing now, kobe is an all timer

Tony_Starks
03-04-2012, 09:19 PM
kobe had diff rivals throughout his career and he trumped em all, i remember all the tmac is better than kobe talk, kobe sort of competed with VC, kobe had a decent rivalry with AI and now the younger gen of bron and wade, and even younger in durant, but he outlasted all those guys cept the ones playing now, kobe is an all timer

I can't tell you how many barbershop debates we had over Kobe vs TMAc and Kobe vs AI. The proof is in the pudding.....

redhorse
03-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Kobe is easily the best player ive seen since mj. Jordan is still the greatest though. I know the argument with some ppl is that kobe has played superior talent which is somewhat true, but u cant fault that on MJ. Jordan is one of the few players from the past u can say he can play in this generation. Jordan was light years ahead of his time, but anyways even though I hated kobe in the past I learned to respect his game. LBJ has a long way to go in my opinion. And honestly I dont see him having the longevity kobe has had and dominate as long as kobe has. LBJ game relies too much on his athletic ability. I dont know I could be wrong

beliges
03-04-2012, 11:08 PM
The guy dominated his era more than any other player during his generation. His rivals are Magic and MJ just like he said. ALL he has left to accomplish at this point is move up on the all time list.

KB-Pau-DH2012
03-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Kobe vs Iverson
Kobe vs Duncan
Kobe vs TMac
Kobe vs Carter
Kobe vs Nash
Kobe vs Wade
Kobe vs Lebron
Kobe vs Durant
Kobe vs Dirk

The list goes on. Fact of the matter is KObe has remained at the top.

Don't forget all those self-proclaimed Kobe stoppers, who at the end of the day, could never really stop him.

ghettosean
03-04-2012, 11:35 PM
The Black Mamba just telling it like it is. :D

Guess this explains why he was so upset with LeBron for not taking that last shot in the AS game. The guy just wants a challenge, even at this stage of his career.

From ESPN

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7640850/los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant-says-had-no-rivals-16-year-nba-career
He should relish the challenge even Nash liked beating up on the young guys when he won the skills challenge a few years back. If someone is really a great player they should want to see how they compare against today's competition no matter where they are in there career.

BULLSFAN0810
03-05-2012, 01:05 AM
He should relish the challenge even Nash liked beating up on the young guys when he won the skills challenge a few years back. If someone is really a great player they should want to see how they compare against today's competition no matter where they are in there career.

He did relish it..they just dont admit it..he went in trying to bed Wade. It was like a bully saying" next week...7 days from now im gonna see you again,"and smiles...youre thinking damn im gonna get beat up,but everyone else around thinks"oh,theyre gonna meet up" thinking nothing really of it;But you know 7 days judgement day...do you admit to everyone youre gonna die? Does the killer tell everyone in 7 days youre dead? NO,it just happens..in cold blood like today......MURDER!

Hawkeye15
03-05-2012, 01:11 AM
With this logic, most superstars in the league should be hated (except a few like Tim Duncan). You guys hate Kobe because the media constantly shoves him down your throat, and he has been successful for a long time.

I would never deny this. However, we, as fans, have the right to choose which arrogant players we root for. Kobe was x-ed off my list off the bat. My decision.