PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis The Most Clutch Player In The League

Monta is beast
03-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Monta Ellis is the best clutch player in the NBA, at least according to probasketballreference.com. While I was watching the Bulls-Cavaliers pregame Friday on Comcast Sportsnet Chicago the commentators, Kendall Gill and Mark Schanowski, showed a chart, courtesy of probasketballreference.com, breaking down the best clutch players in the NBA. The chart looked something like this:

1. Monta Ellis (GS) 12-20 60%

2. David West (IND) 6-10 60%

3. Paul Millsap (UTAH) 9-16 56.3%

T-8. Derrick Rose (CHI) 5-10 50%

T-25. Dwyane Wade (MIA) 5-13 38.5%

46. Kobe Bryant (LAL) 7-31 22.6%

50. Lebron James (MIA) 1-10 10%

The data on the chart is based on the final 2 minutes of the game or overtime when the game is a 5 point spread or less; in laymanís terms: clutch time! Furthermore, the data looke at the top 50 players who have attempted a minimum of 10 shots during clutch time throughout this season. The data presented is very interesting because it shows some of the best players in the league are right towards the bottom.

There is no doubt that Ellis is a prolific scorer and has hit many clutch shots throughout his career and based on these numbers he is arguably the best clutch player in the NBA. I am not surprised that Ellis is number one on the list because he has never been afraid of taking the big shot. Furthermore, I still canít believe that Monta Ellis was once again passed over for an All-Star selection this season because he is having another great season. Ellis has been averaging 22.2 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 5.8 assists a game this season. I am surprised to see two big men in the top three though; I never realized that David West and Paul Millsap have made so many big shots this season. Kobe Bryant is towards the bottom of the list, but at least he is taking the clutch shots, which is more than I can say for Lebron James.

I am not surprised to see Lebron James dead last on the list. James is arguably the best player in the game right now, but when it comes to the clutch time King James often chokes. The numbers donít lie; Lebron is only 1 for 10 in clutch situations and not much has seemed to change from last season. That is why I love this chart so much; it breaks down which players in the league can knock down the big shots when it matters. When you think about it the chart kind of exposes the Miami Heat. It has not been too often when we see the Heat lose a game as they are on an absolute tear as of late, but when it comes down to the wire in close games the Heat canít seem to make a shot. Despite how well they have been playing, I think the Heat are still struggling to negotiate who their closer is. This is evident when we look at Wade and Lebronís shooting percentage in the clutch. Between James and Wade they are 26% when it comes down to knocking down a clutch shot; if I am an opposing team I am liking my chances to beat the Heat in a tight game.

I know the Miami Heat are number 1 in the east, the Golden State Warriors are not above .500, and Lebron James is arguably the best player in the NBA, but in the clutch I would take Monta Ellis over Lebron James every time; Lebronís inability to perform in the clutch is just too well documented. One more thing, the Warriors beat the Heat this season and they beat them in overtimeÖ

I know haters are gonna hate, but stats don't lie.

http://www.rantsports.com/courtcrusades/2012/03/02/monta-ellis-the-best-clutch-player-in-the-nba%E2%80%A6-lebron-james-the-worst/

asandhu23
03-03-2012, 10:32 PM
oh god, this shall go well with people. Let the Monta bashing begin.

Monta is beast
03-03-2012, 10:33 PM
How can they argue with stats though?

VCaintdead17
03-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Post the link please

asandhu23
03-03-2012, 10:35 PM

btw, the website mentioned doesn't exist. I think the author meant Basketball Reference, not probasketballreference.

asandhu23
03-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Post the link please

http://www.rantsports.com/courtcrusades/2012/03/02/monta-ellis-the-best-clutch-player-in-the-nba%E2%80%A6-lebron-james-the-worst/

lakers4sho
03-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Monta's pretty clutch :shrug:

Lloyd Christmas
03-03-2012, 10:37 PM

They will find a way.

Monta is beast
03-03-2012, 10:38 PM
The guys scores 22 points per game, averages 6 assist, and is the most clutch player in the league. How can you hate on him?

Reyes6
03-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Monta is a good scorer, I don't think anyone questions that.

Interesting stat, but at the same time I don't think this small frame of shooting attempts really validas any concrete evidence of a player being "clutch". If it we 100 shots each, ok, but LeBron with 10, West with 10... It's not a big enough number to say wow, that guy is clutch.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Why 2 minutes. I can change the criteria to 3 min, everything else the same, and here is what comes up (by FG%)

1 Tony Allen
2 Andrew Bynum
3 Gustavo Ayon
4 Jrue Holiday
5 Hedo Turkoglu

Monta is beast
03-03-2012, 10:41 PM
But Monta takes more shots in the final 2 minutes, and shoots the highest percentage.

Monta is beast
03-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Why 2 minutes. I can change the criteria to 3 min, everything else the same, and here is what comes up (by FG%)

1 Tony Allen
2 Andrew Bynum
3 Gustavo Ayon
4 Jrue Holiday
5 Hedo Turkoglu

Because the final 2 minutes is considered clutch time.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Because the final 2 minutes is considered clutch time.

Oh I am sorry. I didn't know that was the definition of clutch :rolleyes:

Lets change it to 1 min then. Russel Westbrook comes up #1 at 6-11. Ellis is #6 at 6-12.

I am not saying Monta Ellis isn't a clutch player. Just trying to point out that it is kind of pointless to say he is the most clutch in the league just based on this arbitrary 2 minute rule.

Monta is beast
03-03-2012, 10:46 PM

Lets change it to 1 min then. Russel Westbrook comes up #1 at 6-11. Ellis is #6 at 6-12.

And your saying 6th is bad? Either way Monta steps his game up when it matters.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-03-2012, 10:47 PM
And your saying 6th is bad? Either way Monta steps his game up when it matters.

Sure he does. I have nothing against Monta.

Gritz
03-03-2012, 10:49 PM
k

asandhu23
03-03-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55x_coizac0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2VjxLycyVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNUKjSPJ2gU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-H54SOseZk

these are his only game winners i can think of...

knicks=love
03-03-2012, 10:53 PM
what's the warriors record this season? i honestly don't know, but i feel like he can make shots in the final minutes of the game and yet they still lose games.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Basically, I can mess with the search criteria to look at different situations. Different people will show up as the so called "most clutch player". Example: 4th quarter or overtime, 2 minutes or less, team down by 1-3 points. The winner is......

RICKY RUBIO! 4-5 (80%)

VCaintdead17
03-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Rubio=ultraclutch

More-Than-Most
03-03-2012, 10:55 PM

I am not saying Monta Ellis isn't a clutch player. Just trying to point out that it is kind of pointless to say he is the most clutch in the league just based on this arbitrary 2 minute rule.

:clap:

I love this guy and agree with what he is saying... why does the 2 minute mark matter most?

asandhu23
03-03-2012, 11:02 PM
what's the warriors record this season? i honestly don't know, but i feel like he can make shots in the final minutes of the game and yet they still lose games.

Totally. Warriors' losses are Monta's faults alone. Rookie coach doesn't matter. Team's no defense policy doesn't matter. Injuries to key players don't matter.

Hustlenomics
03-03-2012, 11:04 PM
The guys scores 22 points per game, averages 6 assist, and is the most clutch player in the league. How can you hate on him?

because he doesn't play for Chicago, New York or LA :(

xxplayerxx23
03-03-2012, 11:15 PM
why does a lot of people hate Ellis on this website??? he is an animal scorer, and with the right team could be a good defender, when he is hot he is unguardable. Is it a PSD thing Im unaware of because he gets a lot of hate for no reason

ichitownclowni
03-03-2012, 11:18 PM
The whole 2 minute thing is ********. I'm not arguing that Monta is not clutch, but IMO to be clutch you have to win when it count's and a regular season game is far different from a playoff game. Can someone find me a list of most clutch active players in the NBA playoff games only.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Don't get me wrong...Monta is definitely efficient at the end of games. For example, if we take a larger sample size from last season, and look at players that took at least 50 FGA (I know this is really high) in the situation the OP gave...

1 Monta Ellis 46.0%
2 Derrick Rose 41.2%
3 Russell Westbrook 38.0%
4 Kevin Durant 37.7%
5 Kobe Bryant 36.8%

So I guess you could say that amongst players who take a high volume of shots down the stretch, Monta can be considered one of the best.

GoPacers33
03-03-2012, 11:23 PM
David West at number 2. All right :D

asandhu23
03-03-2012, 11:23 PM
usually, Monta's teams are getting blown out. this is what happens when Warriors actually have chance to win.

ichitownclowni
03-03-2012, 11:25 PM
why does a lot of people hate Ellis on this website??? he is an animal scorer, and with the right team could be a good defender, when he is hot he is unguardable. Is it a PSD thing Im unaware of because he gets a lot of hate for no reason

I personally love Monta. I would kill to have him on the Bulls. Ask everyone of our posters haha. They will all tell you that I'm always the one to bring up Monta haha.

bholly
The whole 2 minute thing is ********. I'm not arguing that Monta is not clutch, but IMO to be clutch you have to win when it count's and a regular season game is far different from a playoff game. Can someone find me a list of most clutch active players in the NBA playoff games only.

Link (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=single&year_id=2011&is_playoffs=Y&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=2&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=-5&margin_max=5&c1stat=fga&c1comp=ge&c1val=10&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=efg_pct)

Click 'show/hide search form' toward the top in red and adjust the criteria as you like.

MELO 15
You know what i'm going to say, and I wouldn't be a homer neither

bholly
03-03-2012, 11:30 PM

Weird, I've found opposite. Most 'hate' on here is against good players on good teams - LBJ, Bosh, Rose, etc - and that's generally without any reason more than homerism.
Nobody has any homer reason to hate a player on a bad team, so I've found the anti-Monta arguments tend to come with far more actual reasons than the other players who get 'hate'.
Anyway, low efficiency but still puts up a lot of shots and doesn't defend that well. Those are the reasons, for the most part.

COOLbeans
03-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Montas not the best, but he's one of the best in the league no doubt.

Chronz
03-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Why is the author acting as if hes just found the lost arc? Can't even credit the right website hes stumbling all over himself, as if we didn't have 82games.com before bbr made it so anyone can lookup pbp data. Statistically Bron has been a monster ib the clutch but it does seem like the narrower you define clutch time the less imposing his efficiency becomes, that is if you buy that as the definition of clutch.

Anyways Monta isn't an AllStar player and hasn't made his team better in 4 years according to +/-. Would be a great third option tho.

DaLakerz Rulz
03-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Why is the author acting as if hes just found the lost arc? Can't even credit the right website hes stumbling all over himself, as if we didn't have 82games.com before bbr made it so anyone can lookup pbp data. Statistically Bron has been a monster ib the clutch but it does seem like the narrower you define clutch time the less imposing his efficiency becomes, that is if you buy that as the definition of clutch.

Anyways Monta isn't an AllStar player and hasn't made his team better in 4 years according to +/-. Would be a great third option tho.

That is why I think this whole clutch debate is pointless. Looking up lists on 82games with arbitrary parameters does not help with anything. I don't know why you are specifically bringing up Lebron James. There are still people who are way more efficient than him even with a "broader" definition of clutch.

bholly
03-03-2012, 11:53 PM
^^ Seriously? Because LBJ is criticized for his supposed lack of clutchness more than we talk about any other aspect of any other player's game. There's been countless threads and hundreds of hours of broadcasts on it (there's even a 345 post thread on it on the front page right now).
When your point is that these things change a huge amount as you re-define the parameters, in this case what exactly 'clutch' means, what better example is there than showing that the guy most criticized for clutchness is actually a monster by some measures?
Just pointing out the most efficient guy, that we all know is efficient, wouldn't have made his point at all.

Chronz
03-03-2012, 11:58 PM

That is why I think this whole clutch debate is pointless. Looking up lists on 82games with arbitrary parameters does not help with anything. I don't know why you are specifically bringing up Lebron James. There are still people who are way more efficient than him even with a "broader" definition of clutch.
I doubt that there are very many, as the sample size grows the more valid, and you see the stars rise closer to the top. Its why Bron has monster clutch stats over the years as defined by 82g.com

Lake_Show2416
03-04-2012, 12:01 AM
idk bout the best but he is really clutch no matter how much hate he gets on this site

DaLakerz Rulz
03-04-2012, 12:02 AM
^^ Seriously? Because LBJ is criticized for his supposed lack of clutchness more than we talk about any other aspect of any other player's game. There's been countless threads and hundreds of hours of broadcasts on it (there's even a 345 post thread on it on the front page right now).
When your point is that these things change a huge amount as you re-define the parameters, in this case what exactly 'clutch' means, what better example is there than showing that the guy most criticized for clutchness is actually a monster by some measures?
Just pointing out the most efficient guy, that we all know is efficient, wouldn't have made his point at all.

I don't question Bron's "clutchness", just like I don't believe that Kobe is the most clutch player in the game as many Laker fans do (that belief is actually laughable to be honest). In general I try to stay out of all those crap threads. I thought he was trying to imply that Bron was the most efficient in the clutch, but looking back I guess he wasn't.

Aust
03-04-2012, 12:05 AM
I hate when people make threads about their own team in the general forum, and given your forum name, that's like a double penalty.

If you were a CHI or Spurs or ORL fan (throwing out random teams) I'd have no problem with it

Sportfan
03-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Is there a stat for how many points his man gives up in clutch?

PatsSoxKnicks
03-04-2012, 12:11 AM
http://www.backpicks.com/2011/01/10/the-nbas-best-players-in-the-clutch-since-2003/

http://www.backpicks.com/2012/02/23/clutch-play-shots-to-tielead-inside-2-minutes/

^more clutch stats

Lakeshow24KB
03-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I hate how everyone gets hate for not being clutch. Because apparently if you miss a game winning shot and lose the game by 1-3 points, all the turnovers, missed free throws, and blown men that drove for easy points don't matter anymore. All the mistakes that led up to the point where you had to shoot the game-winner don't matter anymore. It's all Lebrons fault because he passed the ball instead of shooting, but it's not Dwayne Wade's fault for those fouls? If Kobe gives the ball away with 15 seconds left and they lose, it's not Gasol and Mcroberts fault for those missed free throws fifteen seconds earlier? I think the whole debate on being clutch or not is overrated.

Jesse2272
03-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Obviously not a coach

Kobe
Wade
Melo

in that order

Monta is beast
03-04-2012, 12:18 AM
I really hope the Warriors decide to trade Curry instead of Ellis. If Marc Jackson sat down with Monta and told him what he needs to do to become a winner, I have no question that he would do it. Not only that, but Curry's trade value is allot higher, even though Monta is the better player of the two IMO. If you pair Ellis up with Rondo or someone of that nature, he will flourish even more. I hope GS makes the right decision on this.

Lakers + Giants
03-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Obviously not a coach

Kobe
Wade
Melo

in that order

Not this year. Not kobe

Jesse2272
03-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Not this year. Not kobe

I wouldnt bet against Kobe

BKLYNpigeon
03-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Monta is not the best "clutch player", i dont really care what the FG% is in the last 2 minutes. too bad that does not equate to wins for the Warriors. I would still rather have Kobe or Wade taking taking the last shot no matter the percentage.

if they factor in Monta's 4th quarter Turnovers, you wouldnt be calling him clutch. this is coming from a Warriors fan.

VCaintdead17
03-04-2012, 12:57 AM
I like how the Warriors fans conveniently skipped Chronz post. He makes a really valid point and it would be very difficult to argue against it.

Ty Fast
03-04-2012, 01:01 AM
ya right!!!

llemon
03-04-2012, 01:02 AM
I like how the Warriors fans conveniently skipped Chronz post. He makes a really valid point and it would be very difficult to argue against it.

Please 'splain

NetSymptom
03-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Hard to call a player "The Most Clutch Player" when he has yet to take an important shot in the playoffs, let alone make one.

Shammyguy3
03-04-2012, 01:08 AM

He's not the most clutch player in the league. He's clutch yes, but those numbers don't make him the most clutch. Clutchness isn't limited to scoring, it's defense/rebounding/passing and overall making the right play.

Plus, Monta is as inefficient of a scorer as they come. He averages 5.8apg but turns it over 3.3tov times a game. And he scores 22.2ppg while playing a ton of minutes. He's overrated, simple as that.

VCaintdead17
03-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Please 'splain

There are better sites that have more accurate/intricate data that contradicts the OP's claim.

NothingbutWill
03-04-2012, 07:58 AM
"The data on the chart is based on the final 2 minutes of the game or overtime when the game is a 5 point spread or less; in layman’s terms: clutch time!"

Did anybody read this? You can argue about "what if i changed it to 1 minutes, or 3 minutes" or "there is no definition of clutch" and etc. The article is stating the fact that in "layman's terms: clutch time" which in their mind means 2:00 or less, when the game is 5 points or less, Monta has the best field goal % out of anyone else in the NBA. It's just that. You can agree or disagree with he article but it is what it is.

bbcmillionaire
03-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Haha funny thing is that we have a similar post in the bulls forum. But one of our excellent members on the bulls forum also looked up Derrick rose's stats for the final two minutes with the bulls margin -5 to 5 points I think and rose shoots %50 and his team went 9-1 including the playoffs

I Rock Shaqs
03-04-2012, 10:39 AM
LOL I Rarely Log Into This site, as you will see how many posts I have but god damn i can't believe how stupid people are on here, constant hate and bandwagon fans.

LAKobeBryant
03-04-2012, 03:33 PM
i watched a few gsw games this season and whenever it was close they lost, i remember them facing grizzles this season and they blew a 20pt lead this season. many more but can't remember off the top of my head. they couldn't finish no close game

bholly
03-04-2012, 04:02 PM
"The data on the chart is based on the final 2 minutes of the game or overtime when the game is a 5 point spread or less; in laymanís terms: clutch time!"

Did anybody read this? You can argue about "what if i changed it to 1 minutes, or 3 minutes" or "there is no definition of clutch" and etc. The article is stating the fact that in "layman's terms: clutch time" which in their mind means 2:00 or less, when the game is 5 points or less, Monta has the best field goal % out of anyone else in the NBA. It's just that. You can agree or disagree with he article but it is what it is.

Right, the article was specific about what it was showing. The OP extrapolated that to 'Monta Ellis is the most clutch player in the league' and that's what people are objecting to - this one narrow stat shows something, but it isn't something as broadly meaningful as the OP is implying.
In their mind 'clutch' is 2:00 or less with a 5 point spread or less, and that's fine, but that isn't a broadly accepted definition or anything, it's a definition they came up with. There's a lot more to clutch-ness than that narrow stat, so while they were clear about what they were showing, the OP taking the next step to claim it means Monta is the most clutch player in general was totally objectionable.

Monta is beast
03-04-2012, 04:28 PM
I understand that there is real definition for "clutch", but at least it shows Monta shows up when it matters.

bholly
03-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Well 1) that isn't what you said - your title said this means Monta is the most clutch player in the league, and that leap (from this narrow stat to that broad title) is what people are objecting to, and 2) no, there isn't a real definition of 'clutch', that's sort of the point everyone's making. It isn't something you can define and just pull out of one stat.

Cfrey
03-04-2012, 04:37 PM

cause the warriors suck?? lol thats how you can hate on him

MagicBucsSox
03-04-2012, 04:47 PM
It's not clutch if a guy is playing for nothing. Like I said last week Paul pierce is most clutch player and #2 is jesus shuttlesworth

iFYouSeekAmy
03-04-2012, 04:50 PM
cause the warriors suck?? lol thats how you can hate on him

Nets suck this year, therefore I hate Deron Williams. Wizards suck, therefore I hate John Wall. Bobcats suck, therefore I hate Michael Jordan.

PhillyFinezt
03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
You can't argue the stats but they also dont take into account the severity of the game, situation, score all that stuff. Monta's clutch but c'mon he's no Kobe or Pierce

Bos_Sports4Life
03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Less than 2 minutes in the 4th is the only when its "clutch time"?

Thats only 4.16% of the game which means..just as much as the first 2 min technically..

Theres a HANDFUL of players who i'd rather have in a close game..

Run&Gun
03-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Fact is Warriors are a losing team. As a fan I'm pretty sure we can't win with this core, unless we get a major upgrade at the center position, but we have too many defensive weak links and we don't run enough this year to get Monta easy shots.

Monta's midrange doesn't seem as solid this year, even though his three point shot has gotten better. I also don't feel like he gets a lot of foul calls, cuz he gets a lot of no calls which would help with the efficiency side. But that aside, facts are Warriors aren't winning, no real excuses can make up for that.

But if you really break it down, what is the major difference between Monta and Westbrook? I know the PER is higher on westbrook, but their game is really similar, and I think if they switched places Westbrook would not be a very good 1st option. Of course since Westbrook is on a winning team and he places better D I'm gonna say he's better, but I don't think it's as far as a gap as some people believe.

THE MTL
03-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Once I saw Kobe near the bottom, I threw out the stat.

Delusional
03-04-2012, 05:15 PM
All I gotta say is that I witnessed the game last week of the Suns vs. Warriors and Monta Ellis had one really tough clutch shot over one of the best NBA defenders... I'm sold on his clutch capability. Now, do I think he's Kobe Bryant or Paul Pierce? No, but he can certainly be relied on to take the tough shot at the end of the game.

Monta is beast
03-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I'll be the first to say, if the Warriors get a Center, you'll see how good of a team we are. Were playing 4 on 5 most nights, and even 3 on 5 when Wright isn't playing well.

Cal827
03-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Damn, I knew Monta was good, didn't know he was that clutch though. Good for the Warriors. Surprised Melo isn't on this list though. In the past few years, I've seen him knock down buzzer beating shots like crazy. I guess he's completely off this year.

Also surprised that seeing where Lebron is placed, that some idiot hasn't made this a Lebron Bashing thread yet lol

tredigs
03-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Monta is a good scorer, I don't think anyone questions that.

Interesting stat, but at the same time I don't think this small frame of shooting attempts really validas any concrete evidence of a player being "clutch". If it we 100 shots each, ok, but LeBron with 10, West with 10... It's not a big enough number to say wow, that guy is clutch.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=single&year_id=2011&is_playoffs=N&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=2&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=-5&margin_max=5&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg

There's last year for you. Right up near the top at #6 in order of shots made (just ahead of Lebron and Melo), and at a solid 46% clip. The top 4 of Rose/Westbrook/KD/Kobe didn't eclipse 41%. Tho' Melo and Lebron were up with Monta's percentage.

He's as or more clutch than anyone in basketball. Been that way for a while.

@delusional. I'd say he's proven to be far more clutch than both Kobe and Pierce the past few years. If the Dubs had a center and we could actually rebound/win games, he'd get more credit for that aspect of his game.