PDA

View Full Version : Jays players more popular than Leafs?

Big Hurt
03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
For the 1st time in a long time the Jays are starting to be as recognizable or more so to the City of Toronto.
It is starting to be cool at school to be a Jays fan.
So much easier to get behind Bautista, Lawrie, Romero, than Phaneuf, Kessel and the boys.
Raptors.....FORGET it!!

My son is having a birthday and he has asked for a couple Jays posters rather than Leafs which he always has asked for in the past.
Is there a changing of the guard in Toronto?

Krylian
03-02-2012, 02:00 PM
no

nithanyo
03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Outside of a few of people most dont even know we have a baseball team

purplehaze89
03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Hell no.

Bombtista
03-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Outside of a few of people most dont even know we have a baseball team

lol, no

purplehaze89
03-02-2012, 02:15 PM
The Leafs are no. 1 and by a landslide. Your son wanting a Bautista poster is not indicative of anything. LOL.

fatkev78
03-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Your son wanting a Bautista poster is not indicative of anything. LOL.

It's indicative of his son being a cool kid!

I get what the OP is saying. Everyone at work knows I'm a huge Jays fan....every day I get more and more questions about the team, whereas a couple years ago nobody cared.
Hopefully someday soon we can get back to packing the RC like we did in the early 90's.

Farsight
03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
There are probably 3 players that i imagine are close to being household names. Bautista, Lawrie and Romero. Other than that, i think the average toronto sports fan, would not be as knowledgeable towards the other players, or they would not be as recognizable

LanceUpperCut
03-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I think as a team the Leafs will always be miles ahead of the Jays and Raptors but as individual players it might be closer than most think. Joey bats right now is pretty huge which he should be he's an MVP player the leafs have nothing remotely close to a top ten player. I believe Lawrie has a good chance in time also. The raps might not have anyone right now but Vince Carter of the early 2000 might be the biggest world wide athlete Toronto has ever had.

JMac4PM
03-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Joey Bats is the biggest sports figure in Toronto right now.

AA09-?
03-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Joey Bats is the biggest sports figure in Toronto right now.

I'd agree with this, however, there's no comparing the popularity of the Leafs and Jays.

nithanyo
03-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Put it this way.

In America the only sports team that get recognition in Toronto/Canada is the blue jays.

In Toronto the blue jays play second fiddle to the maple leafs.

johnny_i91
03-02-2012, 03:49 PM
For the 1st time in a long time the Jays are starting to be as recognizable or more so to the City of Toronto.
It is starting to be cool at school to be a Jays fan.
So much easier to get behind Bautista, Lawrie, Romero, than Phaneuf, Kessel and the boys.
Raptors.....FORGET it!!

My son is having a birthday and he has asked for a couple Jays posters rather than Leafs which he always has asked for in the past.
Is there a changing of the guard in Toronto?

I understand the point you are trying to make, but the leafs will always be #1 in toronto regardless how terrible they are.

but i have family in chicago and they know more about our team than 90% of people in toronto... Toronto will soon realize how good this team is when we push for the wildcard this year and the Pennant year after year

Sanyo
03-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Personally I cant stand talking about the Leafs but I realize this is a hockey town and will always take precedence (even though very few outside of Canada care about hockey).

But to me Jose Bautista and most likely after this year Brett Lawrie will be the two most popular players. Its not unheard of for a non-hockey player to be the most popular -- Vince Carter in 1999-2002 was an example of being the most popular athlete in Toronto. Chris Bosh in 2006/07 could have been as well. I think this will hold true for Bats and Lawrie -- especially for Lawrie if he starts to break out and becomes one of the top players in baseball being a Canadian.

Though personally Im sick of all the Leafs talk on radio right now, especially Fan 590 and Bryan Hayes from 1-4 on TSN 1050, my God does this guy talk about anything besides hockey?

Anyhoo, I will admit I dont know a ton about hockey anymore besides the obvious players (Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, etc). I was even shocked to read 100 year old Teemu Selanne still being near the top of the scoring race, this guy is surreal.

wamco
03-02-2012, 04:32 PM
hockey is unwatchable

jon32
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Ya in Toronto the leafs seem like number 1, but im from N.S and the amount of people who are taking notice in the Jays is rediculous. Outside Canada, The Jays are by far the most known/popular sports team in the country.

wagnall
03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Sadly it is the Leafs over the Jays, but I think you ask someone in the States who plays for the Leafs , you'll get a :shrug: ,ask who plays for the Jays, you'll get Bautista. :clap:

Krylian
03-02-2012, 05:13 PM
hockey is unwatchable

You're American. Right?

MVP1
03-02-2012, 05:21 PM
You're American. Right?

He's probably like many people who hate hockey being shoved down our throats

LanceUpperCut
03-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Regular season hockey is boring as hell but I must say I do enjoy playoff hockey. But really if you don't have a favorite team or some other incentive like money on the line then most sports are pretty boring.

masTOR_shake1
03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
yea there is a tangable emergince of interest in this team, I was literally the only kid in my grade in my stoney creek grade school who loved the jays or played baseball :( but now lots of my friends love them so it's encouraging. you would think that with the more our society becomes addicted to instant gratification, the less popular the ceribral, sometimes slow game of baseball would become so it's encouraging to see the contrary.

bomber0104
03-02-2012, 06:00 PM
I think its closer than people think.. spearking of individual players not brand.

Bautista is by far the biggest sports figure in Toronto right now and Lawrie will soon challenge him for that title

AA09-?
03-02-2012, 08:17 PM
you're american. Right?

lol

jaysnraptors44
03-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Hockey ... for me is unwatchable too I just hate the fact that people think we sleep and eat hockey here ..

AA09-?
03-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Hockey ... for me is unwatchable too I just hate the fact that people think we sleep and eat hockey here ..

It's a stereotype that applies to the vast majority of Canadians. Maybe not you, but you're definitely in the minority.

Krylian
03-03-2012, 01:14 PM
He's probably like many people who hate hockey being shoved down our throats

It's only shoved down your throat if you don't like it.

I'd feel the same way about football if I lived in the states. Not a fan of the sport but you can't hide from it.

Krylian
03-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Most do.

Bombtista
03-03-2012, 03:46 PM
lol how can you say hockey is unwatchable. One of the more active sports there is.

Soccer on the other hand is just terrible with all their running and not scoring

wamco
03-03-2012, 08:45 PM
i loved the strike, wished it wouldn't have ended.

AA09-?
03-03-2012, 09:38 PM
i loved the strike, wished it wouldn't have ended.

It was actually a lockout.

Jamiecballer
03-03-2012, 10:56 PM
hockey is a wonderful game. it's the NHL i can't take seriously. easily the worst managed of all the pro sports.

BBB
03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Rod Black announced the leafs coach firing during a Raptors game on TSN last night.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

nithanyo
03-04-2012, 04:25 AM
I love hockey n all but we get it forced down our throats. Maybe thats why we Canadians aren't known for any other sport.(and curling)

Im gonna make sure my kid plays every sport except hockey. Unlike my dad >.<

Halladay
03-04-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm one of the few here who loves hockey and is a diehard Leafs fan. But the Jays are on the same level for me. Not sure how people can complain about hockey being shoved down your throat, it's the NHL regular season, come to expect it. What else would the media have to talk about right now? 60 minutes of spring training, curling and basketball?

AA09-?
03-04-2012, 07:46 AM
hockey is a wonderful game. it's the NHL i can't take seriously. easily the worst managed of all the pro sports.

I can agree with this, however, every league below (AHL, IHL, CHL etc) follows suit with rules the NHL puts in place.

Halladay
03-04-2012, 08:12 AM
The NBA is easily the worst managed and it's not even really close IMO. The league is a joke, where it's essentially players picking teams on a playground and thugs bringing guns into locker rooms. It's sadly true.

AA09-?
03-04-2012, 09:05 AM
The NBA is easily the worst managed and it's not even really close IMO. The league is a joke, where it's essentially players picking teams on a playground and thugs bringing guns into locker rooms. It's sadly true.

Cite one other incident than the one in Washington.

Halladay
03-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Cite one other incident than the one in Washington.

Why would I? why would I have to? it happened and I'm sure it's happened on other occasions. It's a thug league, there's no denying that. Go look at all the **** NBA players get into.

Reached after practice Friday, Nets guard Devin Harris shed light on a potentially frightening situation for the NBA. He estimated that as many as 75% of players in the league own guns.

Stopped by police for a traffic violation, police found Cavaliers guard Delonte West armed to the teeth, with a loaded gun in his waistband, another strapped to his leg and a third in a guitar case a la Antonio Banderas in Desperado. Criminal charges are still pending, and the NBA has not taken any formal action as of yet.

A man was shot at Wizards guard DeShawn Stevenson's Orlando, Florida-area home in August of 2007. Neither the shooting victim nor any of the other witnesses agreed to cooperate with investigators, and under Florida law, "if there is no victim, there is no crime."

Indiana guard Stephen Jackson fired five shots in the air during a confrontation outside an Indianapolis nightclub. Teammates Jamaal Tinsley, Marquis Daniels and Jimmie Hunter were also present during the incident.

A repeat offender -- in February 2006, Telfair was cited for attempting to board a team flight with a loaded gun in his luggage. In April of 2007, police found a loaded gun in Telfair's car at an otherwise routine traffic stop. Telfair was suspended for two games for the plane and three for the car.

Yeah...NBA players don't have guns :rolleyes:

Jamiecballer
03-04-2012, 12:39 PM

i don't agree. i'm not going to deny the fact that the NBA players are running the show and it's terrible for the sport. but as a business it's very well run.

the NHL could be a great league. but they are embarrassingly slow at addressing issues of player safety, and seem to be more concerned with making Americans like their game than maximizing opportunities in legitimate hockey markets.

it's easily the most unevolved sport culture. you would get arrested for what they do to each other on the ice on a daily basis. can you imagine if charging the mound after being hit was not only allowed but celebrated? no of course you can't. because its absurd.

bljay29
03-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm one of the few here who loves hockey and is a diehard Leafs fan. But the Jays are on the same level for me. Not sure how people can complain about hockey being shoved down your throat, it's the NHL regular season, come to expect it. What else would the media have to talk about right now? 60 minutes of spring training, curling and basketball?

Even during the summer its all about who the Leafs might sign to the 4th line, I'm not a Leaf fan mainly cause no matter what newspaper, radio station, or tv station its all about the Leafs..

I may sound unCanadian here but for me its MLB, NFL.. then depending on the weather i might watch some hockey

Sanyo
03-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Why would I? why would I have to? it happened and I'm sure it's happened on other occasions. It's a thug league, there's no denying that. Go look at all the **** NBA players get into.

No doubt the NBA has had some embarrassing moments with gun related incidents but to be fair all those players in those incidents are fairly low level players. On the top guys like Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, etc do not carry guns and are 100 times more recognizable and marketable than the top NHL players with maybe the exception of Sidney Crosby (and even then those guys still handily beat Crosby). Even in the old days a guy like Michael Jordan was more marketable and recognizable than Wayne Gretzky (and today, post playing career, its not even close between the two, Jordan still has some of the top selling sneakers).

The NBA is easily more marketable, hence its success. Hockey will always have the association of it being "Canadian" and being a "cold weather sport" and hence it will never have the traction in the US and overseas that the NBA has (especially in places like Asia or Latin America).

PS- It bothers me when the Leafs and Canadians always meet -- yes has a storied rival but get over it, they play like 6 times a year, I dont want a 3 day hype up to a game that means almost nothing half the time -- this is why Canada never gets taken seriously in the sports world -- the media makes our market a joke when there are somewhat more important things happening in sports and they still play unimportant hockey highlights ahead of it (in Feb when the Lin story broke, you had to wait sometimes 20 mins into a sports broadcast to get the story -- they played freakin Nashville and Florida Panther highlights ahead of it on TSN -- downright ridiculous).

nithanyo
03-04-2012, 04:54 PM

An entire day dedicated to the trade deadline where 2 significant trades went down? On every ****in sports station. Really?

Ya its march. some march madness coverage would be nice. Some spring training coverage. some nba coverage. Does anyone realize how the hockey season goes into June? Does any once care about hockey in Nashville? Phoenix?Columbus? Florida? Does anyone care if Rick Nash gets benched by the GM? Do we really need a whole hockey central segment on that?

The NHL should be a 24 team league.

Sanyo
03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
In reality the only city where hockey is more popular where there is also an NBA team is Toronto and Detroit (where 25-50% of the crowd are Canadian fans from London to Windsor).

AA09-?
03-04-2012, 09:20 PM

You didn't say have guns, you said brought guns into locker rooms. I agree, the vast majority of them own guns, and there are other issues, but that statement is a large fabrication.

nithanyo
03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
****in Evan Longoria has an AK-47. Just cus u have a gun you're not a thug.

Something else that pissess me off about the NHL is its constant need to change rules. When was the last time the NBA or MLB changed an on-field rule?

Is it just me or do those old turds who sit around the table talking about hockey always discuss a hit and weather or not it was legal or not. For **** sakes. The games been around for 100 years. why change rules now?

nirvana235
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Hockey is boring to watch... you can't see the true level of the players like you do in basketball. The last exciting play I've seen from the nhl was like the Ovechkin goal while he was on his back. Plus all the big stars has no personalities like Sidney Crosby. NHL is just bland in general.

wamco
03-04-2012, 10:05 PM
I know two people that own guns

Rochesta
03-04-2012, 10:34 PM
You guys should be following the Rock up there; lacrosse is the best sport on earth and the Rock are your most competitive pro sports team anyways.

Jeffy25
03-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Let's leave the gun stereotyping out of it if we can guys. Otherwise I will be forced to close a decent thread.

Thanks

Sanyo
03-04-2012, 11:09 PM
@Jeffy25: If you want evidence of Americans owning the most guns per capita in the world here it is from Reuters themselves:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/08/28/us-world-firearms-idUSL2834893820070828

I do my research before I speak. Oh there is no stereotype my friend :)

es0terik
03-04-2012, 11:33 PM
It's indicative of his son being a cool kid!

I get what the OP is saying. Everyone at work knows I'm a huge Jays fan....every day I get more and more questions about the team, whereas a couple years ago nobody cared.
Hopefully someday soon we can get back to packing the RC like we did in the early 90's.

I just wish the stadium was packed right now with real fans. It's bittersweet looking forward to a packed stadium once we start winning because I really really love seeing the house packed to the brim but I also really hate bandwagon fans. And those are the exact people we are looking forward to coming out to the stadium and those are the exact people that the Jays are going to have to cater to.

MVP1
03-05-2012, 12:59 AM
You guys should be following the Rock up there; lacrosse is the best sport on earth and the Rock are your most competitive pro sports team anyways.

Not many people in this city know we even have a team.

Rochesta
03-05-2012, 01:12 AM
Not many people in this city know we even have a team.

It's a shame. NLL is more entertaining than MLB by a long shot. I really hope it grows, because people are wasting their time with MLB (no salary cap = no real competition) and NBA (no passion) in my opinion. NHL is decent but hockey isn't for everyone given the low scoring. NFL is a well-run league but if you're a Bills fan it's pretty much a waste of a Sunday afternoon. Lacrosse is like hockey except each team usually scores in the low teens as opposed to the low single digits.

In short, my biggest advice for any Jays fan: go to some Rock games. They lead their division (by a slim margin).

Rochesta
03-05-2012, 01:26 AM
@Jeffy25: If you want evidence of Americans owning the most guns per capita in the world here it is from Reuters themselves:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/08/28/us-world-firearms-idUSL2834893820070828

Guns rule, they're super fun and they're why Americans are so free because they keep the gubmit out of our business.

And Canadians have tons of guns haven't you ever watched trailer park boys.

nithanyo
03-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Guns rule, they're super fun and they're why Americans are so free because they keep the gubmit out of our business.

i don't want to drag this gun thing on. but were pretty free up here. We don't have as nearly as many guns. hell outside of a police officers holster I've never seen a gun here

Mitchell133
03-05-2012, 09:14 AM
This is ridiculous lol.. Bautista and Lawrie might be more popular than the Leafs 3rd liners, but that's about it.

Halladay
03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
i don't want to drag this gun thing on. but were pretty free up here. We don't have as nearly as many guns. hell outside of a police officers holster I've never seen a gun here

Per capita we have as many guns as the U.S but the laws aren't even close to the same. I own a few as do people in my family, friends etc. Not for protection, for hunting or for target practice as a sport(it's actually really fun). In the US people walk around with them concealed, up here you can only go from point A to B in your car with them. You can't even legally stop for gas last time I checked. We also have hard restrictions on what you can and cannot own. In many U.S states you can buy a damn automatic weapon. What reasoning would someone have for owning an AR-15(assault rifle)? Yup, better protect the family, make sure you got that 30 round clip in case you miss with the first 29 from 10 feet away.

Big Hurt
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
This is ridiculous lol.. Bautista and Lawrie might be more popular than the Leafs 3rd liners, but that's about it.

So do you thinkk you will see more Clarke MacArthur and Nik Kulemin shirts around town or more Bautista and Lawrie???

Rochesta
03-05-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm just busting your balls guys. I am pretty sure Canada is a lot safer than the US. Plus, if I had to guess, the per capita stats don't take into account the enormous amount of unregistered weapons in the US.

Notwithstanding, 99% of my facts about Canada do come from trailer park boys.

jon32
03-05-2012, 09:56 PM

I thought Naysaw didnt let Americans watch TPB ?

jon32
03-05-2012, 10:53 PM
In all seriousness tho, Im from N.S and I really find an incredible amount of people know the Jays and are talking about them. Maybe because here hockey is divided between Boston, Montreal and Toronto that theres not as much talk about the leafs.....but the only time I hear people talk about the Leafs is when people say how much they suck. Right now in N.S anyways it seems the Jays are by far the more popular.

Jeffy25
03-06-2012, 12:30 AM

But, as it was said, not more than 50% of Americans own guns.

Either way, it's still a stereotype, and has nothing to do with this thread.

Krylian
03-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Stereotypes are created on an element of truth.

MVP1
03-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I love how threads here get derailed often.

town123
03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Why are Leafs being talked about or compared in the Jays forum? How do these threads get started?

AA09-?
03-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Why are Leafs being talked about or compared in the Jays forum? How do these threads get started?

I think we had one on the go like this a few weeks back too.

Big Hurt
03-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Talking about the Jays popularity in a Jays forum....Oh the nerve of some people. :rolleyes:

H-MYK
03-08-2012, 09:09 PM
It depends on where you are. If you're in Toronto, the Leafs are the popular. If you're in the US, the Blue Jays are the one getting the talk.