PDA

View Full Version : NBA Latin Nights Concept Uniforms

TomahawkChop 10
03-01-2012, 11:23 PM
I have always wondered why the NBA Teams put "el" and "los" in front of their team names. I like the idea of having the spanish uniforms used every now and then, but putting those words (both meaning the) in front of their names. I always thought it would be cool to see a team with the full spanish version of their team name on thier jersey, like the Atlanta Halcones, the Chicago Toros, or the Orlando Magia. This is what a few jerseys might look at if this concept were adopted.

http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/Bravo199/?action=view&current=Espanol.png

Hellcrooner
03-01-2012, 11:46 PM
True they should translate everything in the shirt to spanish, not jsut the article, wich sometimes they even translate wrong, El magic? wtf!!! waht are they talking bout magic johnson?

Cubby
03-01-2012, 11:51 PM
I wish they'd do this in all honesty. It kind of annoys me when they try to show respect for the Hispanic community and all they do is put the article in front of the team name. Don't even translate it.

Sinestro
03-02-2012, 12:06 AM
I'd buy a Chicago Toros jersey

310Casper
03-02-2012, 12:09 AM
i dont think this idea would work with some teams though.

For example, how do you translate 'lakers' in spanish? Los Lagos? (The lakes?) There is no word for 'lakers'.

Cubby
03-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Then leave it the same. But most teams do translate perfectly.

clydeqhc
03-02-2012, 12:29 AM
True they should translate everything in the shirt to spanish, not jsut the article, wich sometimes they even translate wrong, El magic? wtf!!! waht are they talking bout magic johnson? http://www.bicidi.info/jpg1True they should translate everything in the shirt to spanish

llemon
03-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Honestly, I can see where this might be an agenda for the NBA, as they hope to rake in every penny that they can, but personally, I couldn't care less about the NBA catering to the latino community.

MackShock
03-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Los Guerreros.

El Heat doesn't work for me..

Agar81
03-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Is the link not working for anybody else?

ALQ20
03-02-2012, 12:51 AM

For example, how do you translate 'lakers' in spanish? Los Lagos? (The lakes?) There is no word for 'lakers'.

yes there is...Los Laguneros

CHANGO
03-02-2012, 01:09 AM
El Calor de Miami :cool:
La Magia de Orlando :)

Interestingly moments ago I was thinking the same thing while watching the game Magic vs Thunder. Or should I say El Magic vs El Thunder. :D

Ray_R
03-02-2012, 01:19 AM

yes there is...Los Laguneros

I was just going to say that. I was thinking about mexican soccer.

SportsAndrew25
03-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Refresque bro de historia. lo dice otra vez.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Los Guerreros.

El Heat doesn't work for me..

#thatsdope

Hellcrooner
03-02-2012, 02:13 AM
El Calor
La Magia
Los Halcones
Los Gatos Monteses..........Los Gatos to abreviate
Los Magos

Los Knicks ( there is no translation for Knickerbockers)
Las Redes
Los Celtas
Los del Setenta y seis
Los Velociraptores

Los toros
Los caballeros
Los Pistones
Los Rapidos
Los Ciervos ( even if Los Cabrones is more fitting....but the word is an insult in spanish).

Los Laguneros
Los Goletas
Los Guerreros
Los Reyes
El Sol

Los Espuelas
Los Salvajes
Los Cohetes
Los Abejorros
Los Osos

Los Trailblazers ( no real translation)
El Trueno
Las Pepitas
Los Lobos
El Jazz

LA_Raiders
03-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Toros is pretty good... Los Laguneros (Lakers)

Cfrey
03-02-2012, 03:25 AM
this is america.

everything else<

jbeezy
03-02-2012, 03:53 AM

Los Lageros?

Hellcrooner
03-02-2012, 03:59 AM
^Laguneros.

SOunds awful ,to speak the truth... Well most of the names to be honest.

xfyre
03-02-2012, 04:02 AM
even though its not a literal translation per say..i think El Fuego would be a much better translation for heat than Calor..plus it sounds much more badass

Nirvanaskurdt
03-02-2012, 04:05 AM
I think they leave the team name 'Lakers' or 'Suns' or 'Heat' because those names are already huge brands in themselves and they want the names still associated with the jerseys when people are wearing them. They are sort of like walking ads in a way.

rockets-fan
03-02-2012, 04:52 AM
this is america.

everything else<

Your point?

mdm692
03-02-2012, 06:48 AM
"los soles de phoenix" :cool:

ChiSox219
03-02-2012, 08:29 AM
I think they leave the team name 'Lakers' or 'Suns' or 'Heat' because those names are already huge brands in themselves and they want the names still associated with the jerseys when people are wearing them. They are sort of like walking ads in a way.

They do it that way because that is how spanish speakers reference the team, they say Bulls not toros etc.

MagicHero3
03-02-2012, 08:35 AM
la magia is how you say "the magic" in spanish.

way to butcher the spanish language NBA...

jimbobjarree
03-02-2012, 08:47 AM
El Jazz is particularly well translated Croon

sammid21
03-02-2012, 09:15 AM
El Calor
La Magia
Los Halcones
Los Magos

Las Redes
Los Celtas
Los del Setenta y seis
Los Velociraptores

Los toros
Los caballeros
Los Pistones
Los Rapidos
Los Ciervos ( even if Los Cabrones is more fitting....but the word is an insult in spanish).

Los Laguneros
Los Goletas
Los Guerreros
Los Reyes
El Sol

Los Espuelas
Los Salvajes
Los Cohetes
Los Abejorros
Los Osos

El Trueno
Las Pepitas
Los Lobos
El Jazz

Wouldn't the Knicks translate to Los Calzones? Lol

Agar81
03-02-2012, 10:14 AM
El Jazz is particularly well translated Croon

That's because Jazz is Jazz in Spanish...

Hellcrooner
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
That's because Jazz is Jazz in Spanish...

Musical styles keep their names of origin in other idioms.

Folk = folclore is an exception.

but you say Country not "pais"
you say Rock not Roca
you say Reagge no translation at all
Jazz, No translation at all.

Grunge etc etcetc
Im sure there is not an english word for Flamenco

Leftcoast_yg
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
El Calor
La Magia
Los Halcones
Los Magos

Las Redes
Los Celtas
Los del Setenta y seis
Los Velociraptores

Los toros
Los caballeros
Los Pistones
Los Rapidos

Los Laguneros
Los Goletas
Los Guerreros
Los Reyes
El Sol

Los Espuelas
Los Salvajes
Los Cohetes
Los Abejorros
Los Osos

El Trueno
Las Pepitas
Los Lobos
El Jazz

Los Redes is more like network type of Net, there should be another translatio, and who is Los Ciervos, las pepitas, abejorrow cohetes salvajes???...Los Cabrones would be huge in mexico rofl:laugh:

TheFonz
03-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I always wondered why it was Los Bulls instead of Los Toros. If you're going to go from English to Spanish you may as well go all the way and not half-*** it.

There's got to be a better way to appeal to latino fans though. Maybe have one spanish broadcast instead of the standard english broadcast? I can just picture the spanish announcers yelling after every made basket: GGGGGOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLALALALALA!

phi2134
03-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Why exactly does the NBA have this campaign? Does anyone know the reason behind it and is it more of a marketing thing or is this like Latin appreciation month right now or something along those lines?

phi2134
03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
I always wondered why it was Los Bulls instead of Los Toros. If you're going to go from English to Spanish you may as well go all the way and not half-*** it.

There's got to be a better way to appeal to latino fans though. Maybe have one spanish broadcast instead of the standard english broadcast? I can just picture the spanish announcers yelling after every made basket: GGGGGOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLALALALALA!

I think Los Toros sounds a lot cooler than Los Bulls

TheFonz
03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
The NBA wants to appeal to the largest growing minority group in the U.S.A. Yeah, it's a marketing strategy.

310Casper
03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Why exactly does the NBA have this campaign? Does anyone know the reason behind it and is it more of a marketing thing or is this like Latin appreciation month right now or something along those lines?

NBA is a business/entertainment, then a sport. At least logistically. Stern's been trying to expand it globally year by year. This appeals to a huge part of the population. He's also pushing for another canadian team.

TheFonz
03-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I can't believe Stern is stupid enough to push for expansion. Because the teams we already have/had in Canada have done so well, right?

He should be pushing for contraction, thats what will get us a better NBA product.

310Casper
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I can't believe Stern is stupid enough to push for expansion. Because the teams we already have/had in Canada have done so well, right?

He should be pushing for contraction, thats what will get us a better NBA product.

I get your point, but expanding globally to countries like canada and mexico could be massive in the long term, although will be quite a challenge. But it has a better chance than sports like hockey and football since those sports are expensive (all the padding and equipment = $$$). Sports like soccer and basketball require minimal equipment, therefore more attainable in poorer countries. The sport will be played more in those countries by kids, more basketball youth leagues will spring up over the years, etc... Eventually that means more talent in the next 10-20 years. More talent = more teams to support all that talent.

Imagine an NBA league with teams all over South America. The Miami Heat vs. the Brasilia Samba. Think of players like Nene and Barbosa, now imagine all the possible talent that could spring up in other countries by expanding the sport. The next Lebron James is probably being born right this second in some remote village in Honduras. :D

dc5jdm
03-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Los laguneros

TomahawkChop 10
03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I've always thought it would be pretty cool for all teams to have a black out jersey to honor black history month. Something that looks much like the Heat's "Back in Black" jerseys and have a memorial patch, that maybe looked something like this.
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/Bravo199/BHM.png
I'm positive there would be many people lining up to buy one of these jerseys, not just African Americans