PDA

View Full Version : Why did Philly choose Evan Turner with the 2nd pick?

HouRealCoach
03-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Its clear that this team perimeter ball handlers are Holiday, Iggy, & Lou Will with Meeks to stretch the floor.. I just don't see a reason for him to be there and I think he can really be a special player. Some will even consider him a bust soon because of this.

When you draft a player of his calibur while having someone that plays his position u are supposed to get rid of thr other player. Here are some examples...

Look how Kevin Love flourished after Jefferson got traded
Derrick Rose became MVP once Hinrich, Gordon, & Salmons all left
Bargnani became a 20+ ppg player when Bosh left
Evans was great without Martin but now they have Thomas, Fredette, & Thornton also
Washington knew to get rid of Arenas when Wall arrived(Still progressing)
Sea/OKC knew to grt rid of Allen & Lewis once Durant arrived
Aldridge was much better when Randolph got traded
Clippers knew they no longer needed Randolph once Griffin arrived

It goes on & on but my question is why draft him that high if your not going to give him the chance he deserves?

Same thing gets me with Kanter at the moment...

Monta is beast
03-01-2012, 11:23 PM
I agree completely.

BranWingss
03-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Wasn't Iggy in plenty of rumors when he got traded? Philadelphia probably thought Evan Turner was the best player on the board, and that's why they chose him. It's still very early in his career too.

naps
03-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I don't think he'll live up to the hype.

Gram
03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I like Turner. I think he can be a very good player.

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Its clear that this team perimeter ball handlers are Holiday, Iggy, & Lou Will with Meeks to stretch the floor.. I just don't see a reason for him to be there and I think he can really be a special player. Some will even consider him a bust soon because of this.

When you draft a player of his calibur while having someone that plays his position u are supposed to get rid of thr other player. Here are some examples...

Evans was great without Martin but now they have Thomas, Fredette, & Thornton also

It goes on & on but my question is why draft him that high if your not going to give him the chance he deserves?

I completely disagree with all these comparisons to Turner situation. The Knock on Turner was limited upside but one of the most polished players in that draft. All these other guys?? Not so much. Putting Turner in the same category as Wall, Durant and Rose is ridiculous.

KnicksorBust
03-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Evan Turner was getting pegged as the next Brandon Roy. A character player with a complete game. They were a lottery team who needed (and still does need) a true #1 option. It was a no brainer. We're so quick to forget how good these players looked in college.

thekmp211
03-01-2012, 11:29 PM
besides cousins who slipped, i can't really think of anyone who could have justifiably been selected ahead of him at the time.

HouRealCoach
03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Wasn't Iggy in plenty of rumors when he got traded? Philadelphia probably thought Evan Turner was the best player on the board, and that's why they chose him. It's still very early in his career too.

He might have been but nothing happened... Only one that I really remember was for Monta Ellis but that would not have helped

PC
03-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. He was the consensus number two pick behind Wall.

Sadds The Gr8
03-01-2012, 11:33 PM
They picked him because he was clearly the 2nd best player in the draft. I figured they'd trade Iggy when they drafted him because it was obvious their games would clash...

He's wasting away right now...

HouRealCoach
03-01-2012, 11:35 PM

I completely disagree with all these comparisons to Turner situation. The Knock on Turner was limited upside but one of the most polished players in that draft. All these other guys?? Not so much. Putting Turner in the same category as Wall, Durant and Rose is ridiculous.

I'm not saying he's that good because he hasn't had a chance to showcase his skills but coming out of college he had almost as much upside as they did

& I guaruntee if Allen & Lewis stayed on Seattle that Durant wouldnt have the chance to become the player he is today.. But their FO was smart and didn't let anything block his growth.. Its a part of rebuilding

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 11:35 PM

He really wasn't at all. Unanimously scouts said Cousins was a far superior talent to Turner but he had big character issues Turner was the exact opposite. Philly also toyed with the idea of taking Favors but he was too raw.

pd7631
03-01-2012, 11:36 PM
He's just flat out not being given any opportunity right now. For some stupid reason, Doug Collins thinks it's better to play 1 dimensional Jodie Meeks more than ET, and he also doesn't have ET handle the ball.

Turner played PG in college and Doug Collins has him relegated to standing in the corner and being a spot up shooter, which is completely moronic considering that Turner's biggest weakness right now is his shooting.

Lots of Sixer fans are scratching their heads right now, wondering why Doug Collins refuses to play ET alongside Iggy and Jrue. Collins has recently adjusted Jrue Holiday's role to being that of the scorer for the team, which means we could use someone to run the point effectively. Andre Iguodala is a decent point forward, but he's not a great ball handler and frequently loses the ball in traffic. Given all of this, it would make sense to me to put Turner in as the starting PG, and give him the same role he had his last year in college.

All that said, I don't think anyone would question Turner's ability right now if he could simply prove to be an AVERAGE jump shooter. Right now the guy couldn't throw a pebble into the ocean while standing in a boat.

He's a very solid defender, has very good ball handling capabilities, sees the court well, and is the best rebounding guard in the NBA. I think right now Doug Collins is killing his confidence with the role he's put him in, and that is effecting his shot.

Unfortunately for Evan, he was a very high draft pick that went to a team that wasn't nearly as bad as it's record indicated. Most high picks are thrown into the fire and allowed to make mistakes and grow, whereas Doug Collins doesn't have any desire to grow the team, rather he'd like to max out what we have and forget about potential altogether.

Ugh, so many thoughts on the Evan Turner dilemma, I could go on for hours about this stuff lol.

Gators123
03-01-2012, 11:36 PM

This.

He will be a solid player though. Not a star like some people thought.

PhillyBoomerang
03-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Evan Turner was the clear cut 2nd pick no matter what team had the pick. Turner was a beast at Ohio. I still think he will be a good player he does not get enough mins. which is hurting him.. but anybody who watched the rookie game saw what kind of player turner was..

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm not saying he's that good because he hasn't had a chance to showcase his skills but coming out of college he had almost as much upside as they did

& I guaruntee if Allen & Lewis stayed on Seattle that he wouldnt have the chance to become the player he is today.. But their FO was smart and didn't let anything block his growth.. Its a part of rebuilding

Well those other FO traded the guys ahead of them because they were that good and EVERYONE knew it. Turner isn't good enough to deal Iggy or Holliday and EVERYONE knows it inlcuding Doug Collins. How could you gurantee Durant wouldn't become that good?? You assuming he would of stopped improving his game?? And Sonics didn't get "rid" of Lewis at all, he got an absurd contract offer and left. They would of taken him back for the right price. Turner isn't even worth putting in the same breath as those guys.

pd7631
03-01-2012, 11:41 PM
The Sixers front office just can't seem to pick a direction, and that has us stuck in limbo which pretty much means mediocrity.

Everyone and their grandma knows you can't build a team around Andre Iguodala, he needs a legitimate #1 scoring option to play alongside him. But this team is making no effort to get that player. So if they're not gonna go that route, then they SHOULD be trying to groom Evan Turner....which they aren't.

Corey
03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
At the time, he was looked at as a ridiculously safe pick..Someone that could come in and contribute right away. He was the consensus #2 behind Wall, and many scouts even had him as the #1.

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
The Sixers front office just can't seem to pick a direction, and that has us stuck in limbo which pretty much means mediocrity.

Everyone and their grandma knows you can't build a team around Andre Iguodala, he needs a legitimate #1 scoring option to play alongside him. But this team is making no effort to get that player. So if they're not gonna go that route, then they SHOULD be trying to groom Evan Turner....which they aren't.

Sixers are far from a mediocre team. They lack a BIG name but they are very good. They are the Detroit Pistons before they traded for Rasheed Wallace. They are 1 very good trade away from being true contenders if Evan Turners would play up to his draft status that would help but I dont see it. There best bet is to hope Holliday takes the next step.

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 11:46 PM
At the time, he was looked at as a ridiculously safe pick..Someone that could come in and contribute right away. He was the consensus #2 behind Wall, and many scouts even had him as the #1.

This is ridiculous he was not consesus #2. Many big boards had him behind Cousins and even Favors.

ManRam
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Gotta take the best available, unless you're one piece away from being an elite team. They probably felt they did that...oh well...

He wasn't the concensus #2, but Cousins' stock dropped drastically with a lot of legit questions about him. Favors was seen as a project, same with Udoh. Monroe would have been a reach.

They passed up on some bigs, but that's why the draft is an imperfect science.

UPRock
They should've selected Cousins with that pick, they needed a center badly, and still need a center badly.

Hustla23
03-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Because he beasted in college?

Turner is a good player. Philly is just so stacked with guards that it's hard to really break out, but the talent is definitely there. He seems to have a good work ethic so you can't bash the pick just yet.

UPRock
03-01-2012, 11:50 PM
I think Turner is going to be a really good player, but somehow I don't see it in Philadelphia, with Iguodala and Young getting big minutes.

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Because he beasted in college?

Turner is a good player. Philly is just so stacked with guards that it's hard to really break out, but the talent is definitely there. He seems to have a good work ethic so you can't bash the pick just yet.

There are alot of players who beast in college who are not top-5 picks.

HouRealCoach
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM

& I guaruntee if Allen & Lewis stayed on Seattle that he wouldnt have the chance to become the player he is today.. But their FO was smart and didn't let anything block his growth.. Its a part of rebuilding

Well those other FO traded the guys ahead of them because they were that good and EVERYONE knew it. Turner isn't good enough to deal Iggy or Holliday and EVERYONE knows it inlcuding Doug Collins. How could you gurantee Durant wouldn't become that good?? You assuming he would of stopped improving his game?? And Sonics didn't get "rid" of Lewis at all, he got an absurd contract offer and left. They would of taken him back for the right price. Turner isn't even worth putting in the same breath as those guys.

"EVERYONE" knew? Just like everyone knew that Yi would become the next Dirk? lol

Everyone doesnt always know what draft picks will become great lol and FO dont either because if they did they wouldnt have wasted a draft pick that high on ET..

There are many players that EVERYONE knew would be good and turned out to be busts but someone that is drafted top 2 should ATLEAST have a better opportunity to prove himself and the point is Durant got to reach his potential because Allen & Lewis were traded away giving him ultimate opportunity to be the leader and reach that point

& im not saying ET will be a Durant or a Rose but he could be much better than he is showing right now

pd7631
03-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Sixers are far from a mediocre team. They lack a BIG name but they are very good. They are the Detroit Pistons before they traded for Rasheed Wallace. They are 1 very good trade away from being true contenders if Evan Turners would play up to his draft status that would help but I dont see it. There best bet is to hope Holliday takes the next step.

Trust me, we peaked. The 20-9 start that this team had was a mirage, because we played almost every game at home the month of January against extremely weak competition for the most part. If your team has absolutely no shot at winning a title, then I view that as mediocre.

And to say we're like the Detroit Pistons is so far off the truth.

First of all, we have absolutely nobody to protect the paint, while the Pistons had Ben Wallace.

The Pistons also had guys that could actually make shots(especially in the 4th quarter), Rip, Chauncey, Sheed, etc. When the 4th quarter rolls around for us, we simply CAN'T score.

The only similarity between the two teams is a lack of a superstar, other than that the Pistons were superior in every way.

jimbobjarree
03-01-2012, 11:54 PM

Kanter is way too raw to start right now. I think its better for him to be brought on slowly, as I think it is for most big men who have a bigger adjustment to the NBA game.

Always draft BPA, and Turner was consensus BPA, and some had him number 1. Still, 24mpg on a playoff team and an appearance at all star weekend isn't terrible for a sophomore.

UPRock
03-01-2012, 11:55 PM
There are alot of players who beast in college who are not top-5 picks.

Like Marshon Brooks in the last Draft, and Jimmer.

bholly
03-01-2012, 11:55 PM
We thought Iggy was going to be traded, then they wanted to see how they played together, and then Doug fell in love with Iggy and has let Turner slide to the background. It's an ongoing issue with Sixers fans about what we're going to do about it - most want ET to start and take most of Jodie's minutes, many want Iggy gone, some want ET at the point and Holiday gone. What the FO are thinking is anyone's guess, but it's clear that at the time they were thinking he'd make the decisions easy.

This is ridiculous he was not consesus #2. Many big boards had him behind Cousins and even Favors.

This is from Chad Ford a week before the draft:

Jun 18 Update: To make sense of disparate rankings and debates over team needs, the past few years I've chronicled a draft ranking system employed by several teams that have been very successful in the draft, what I call a tier system. Instead of developing an exact order from 1 to 60 of the best players in the draft, these teams group players, based on overall talent, into tiers. Then, the teams rank the players in each tier based on need.

Tier 2: DeMarcus Cousins, Derrick Favors, Wesley Johnson, Evan Turner. Note: Turner is the consensus No. 2 pick in the draft. All but two teams listed him as the No. 2 player on their boards, regardless of need. However, one team listed Favors and another went with Cousins at No. 2, while Johnson got a handful of votes at No. 3. The thing they all have in common is that every team I've spoken with believes these players could be NBA All-Stars down the road.

If he wasn't a consensus #2, he was pretty damn close - certainly close enough that calling him that isn't 'ridiculous'.

faridk89
03-01-2012, 11:56 PM
because he's black...

Raps18-19 Champ
03-01-2012, 11:56 PM
He was the 2nd best player in that draft at the time.

Made sense to me.

ManRam
03-01-2012, 11:58 PM
This is from Chad Ford a week before the draft:

If he wasn't a consensus #2, he was pretty damn close - certainly close enough that calling him that isn't 'ridiculous'.

Yeah, I really feel like I remember him being the obvious #2 talent. For a while some flirted with him being the #1 talent.

I can't knock them for this. I just can't.

If Cousins' stock stayed at its peak, and didn't fall, then maybe you could be upset that they didn't take him...but it did fall, enough to scare 4 teams away.

pd7631
03-02-2012, 12:00 AM
You put up 20pts 9rpg 6ast 1.7stl on 52% shooting, while leading your team to a major conference championship....you're pretty damn good. I wish the Sixers would just hand the kid the keys, and see what he can do at this level.

Sinestro
03-02-2012, 12:10 AM
He can be good, he just needs the right situation

Sadds The Gr8
03-02-2012, 12:13 AM

what are you talking about? he was easily seen as the #2 player, and some saw him #1.

waveycrockett
03-02-2012, 12:13 AM
You put up 20pts 9rpg 6ast 1.7stl on 52% shooting, while leading your team to a major conference championship....you're pretty damn good. I wish the Sixers would just hand the kid the keys, and see what he can do at this level.

The 76ers are a good team why would they do that? How about see if the kid can work his way into the rotation like all good players eventually do??

Sadds The Gr8
03-02-2012, 12:19 AM

what are you talking about? he was easily seen as the #2 player, and some saw him #1.

waveycrockett
03-02-2012, 12:22 AM

Not by scouts. Talent wise scouts knew Cousins had the higher ceiling it was his character issues. Philly went for the safe pick and got screwed.

Gators123
03-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Turners mock draft history-

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Evan-Turner-1115/mock-draft-history/

Draftexpress.com had him at #2 for months.

pd7631
03-02-2012, 12:28 AM
The 76ers are a good team why would they do that? How about see if the kid can work his way into the rotation like all good players eventually do??

He's not really being given the opportunity to work himself in because he's being asked not to do the things that make him good. Evan Turner has said that Doug Collins wants him to rebound and defend, that's it. Why would you draft a kid #2, that played primarily with the ball in his hands in college, and ask him only to rebound and defend? You could get someone in the 2nd round to do that. He should be given the opportunity to showcase what he can do, and if it's apparent that his game just didn't translate from college to the pros, then at least you can find out sooner rather than later so you can move on. Right now nobody really knows what he can do, or where he fits....and that is gonna hurt the team in the long run.

howiend
03-02-2012, 12:29 AM
interesting that wes johnson (#4 pick same year) is having all sorts of shooting troubles also

SMH!
03-02-2012, 12:33 AM
If coach gave him some PT, we could see, he has given us glimpses of his skillset, and lately hes been stinking, but I believe he needs way more PT to prove himself

fadedmario
03-02-2012, 12:36 AM
he is not very good

UPRock
03-02-2012, 12:37 AM
He's not really being given the opportunity to work himself in because he's being asked not to do the things that make him good. Evan Turner has said that Doug Collins wants him to rebound and defend, that's it. Why would you draft a kid #2, that played primarily with the ball in his hands in college, and ask him only to rebound and defend? You could get someone in the 2nd round to do that. He should be given the opportunity to showcase what he can do, and if it's apparent that his game just didn't translate from college to the pros, then at least you can find out sooner rather than later so you can move on. Right now nobody really knows what he can do, or where he fits....and that is gonna hurt the team in the long run.

And him, some players loose motivation when they can't do what they've been asked for.

fadedmario
03-02-2012, 12:38 AM
just looked up his numbers = BUST

pd7631
03-02-2012, 12:40 AM

so all you know about him is his numbers, if you actually watched the kid play you'd know how skilled he is

FutureGM
03-02-2012, 12:44 AM

lmao. One of the funniest posts I've ever read on the site.

FutureGM
03-02-2012, 12:53 AM
He's just flat out not being given any opportunity right now. For some stupid reason, Doug Collins thinks it's better to play 1 dimensional Jodie Meeks more than ET, and he also doesn't have ET handle the ball.

Turner played PG in college and Doug Collins has him relegated to standing in the corner and being a spot up shooter, which is completely moronic considering that Turner's biggest weakness right now is his shooting.

Lots of Sixer fans are scratching their heads right now, wondering why Doug Collins refuses to play ET alongside Iggy and Jrue. Collins has recently adjusted Jrue Holiday's role to being that of the scorer for the team, which means we could use someone to run the point effectively. Andre Iguodala is a decent point forward, but he's not a great ball handler and frequently loses the ball in traffic. Given all of this, it would make sense to me to put Turner in as the starting PG, and give him the same role he had his last year in college.

All that said, I don't think anyone would question Turner's ability right now if he could simply prove to be an AVERAGE jump shooter. Right now the guy couldn't throw a pebble into the ocean while standing in a boat.

He's a very solid defender, has very good ball handling capabilities, sees the court well, and is the best rebounding guard in the NBA. I think right now Doug Collins is killing his confidence with the role he's put him in, and that is effecting his shot.

Unfortunately for Evan, he was a very high draft pick that went to a team that wasn't nearly as bad as it's record indicated. Most high picks are thrown into the fire and allowed to make mistakes and grow, whereas Doug Collins doesn't have any desire to grow the team, rather he'd like to max out what we have and forget about potential altogether.

Ugh, so many thoughts on the Evan Turner dilemma, I could go on for hours about this stuff lol.

I love reading posts like this. It's awesome getting to peak into the mind of a fan of another team. I had no idea what Evan Turner had been doing since entering the NBA since I stopped following him after college and you just put it all together for me. Sounds like they really should just let this kid handle the ship for a little while and see what they have. Couldn't hurt considering you guys really aren't contending for a championship.

Would read again.

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Turner cannot shoot a lick. Turner does not get to the line. If turner did get to the line, his foul shot percentage is below average. Turner doesnt finish around the basket, he prefers a 15 stop and pop j. He can rebound because he is long for a 2 guard. Hes a bust.

waveycrockett
03-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Turner cannot shoot a lick. Turner does not get to the line. If turner did get to the line, his foul shot percentage is below average. Turner doesnt finish around the basket, he prefers a 15 stop and pop j. He can rebound because he is long for a 2 guard. Hes a bust.

sounds about right

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:03 AM
I'd be shocked if Turner shot more than 10 three pointers all year... honestly... and that's supposed to be my teams SHOOTING guard... naaa. Get out of here. Work a trade up with the kings and get Demarcus Cousins here for turner. Shouldve drafted cousins to begin with.

pd7631
03-02-2012, 01:04 AM

Tell me who else on the Sixers gets to the line? Turner's actually good at attacking the basket and getting to the line when he's allowed to play aggressively, but Doug Collins has handcuffed the team and nobody is allowed to attack the basket for fear of turning the ball over. The Sixers are dead last in the NBA at free throw attempts, and that's a direct result of Doug Collins' system. To say that Turner wouldn't like to attack/is a poor finisher is just not correct.

pd7631
03-02-2012, 01:07 AM
I'd be shocked if Turner shot more than 10 three pointers all year... honestly... and that's supposed to be my teams SHOOTING guard... naaa. Get out of here. Work a trade up with the kings and get Demarcus Cousins here for turner. Shouldve drafted cousins to begin with.

calling him a shooting guard is just a misnomer, he's much more of a PG than a SG

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Tell me who else on the Sixers gets to the line? Turner's actually good at attacking the basket and getting to the line when he's allowed to play aggressively, but Doug Collins has handcuffed the team and nobody is allowed to attack the basket for fear of turning the ball over. The Sixers are dead last in the NBA at free throw attempts, and that's a direct result of Doug Collins' system. To say that Turner wouldn't like to attack/is a poor finisher is just not correct.

hahahaha yea.. im sure doug collins system is to not get to the free throw line and get easy points and put other teams in foul trouble... time and time again i see lou williams slash to the basket. time and time again i see turner act like hes gonna slash to the basket then stop and pop from the foul line... SOFTTTT! BUM!

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:10 AM
calling him a shooting guard is just a misnomer, he's much more of a PG than a SG

he cant play point or shot guard... a slug could defend turners slow ***. You ever see him try to dunk? He barely gets over the rim haha

bholly
03-02-2012, 01:15 AM

Pretty much this. Nobody on our team attacks the basket and goes to the line. If he was the only one, you could blame him. If you watch the games you can see it's Doug's system as much as anything.
He could do better at it, sure, but there's a huge team aspect to it.

If you seriously judge twos on how many three pointers they shoot, I'd love to hear your thoughts on D Wade - super scrub, right? We always knew he wasn't a long range shooter.
I agree his FT% needs to improve, but he shot .758 in college and .808 last year, so I think he'll get there.

topdog
03-02-2012, 01:18 AM
I never understood why a team full of wings that can't shoot particularly well would draft another wing that can't shoot particularly well especially when you could get an athletic 4/5 to run with your athletic wings. Even Wes Johnson seemed like a better pick for them because of his range.

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:19 AM
If you seriously judge twos on how many three pointers they shoot, I'd love to hear your thoughts on D Wade - super scrub, right? We always knew he wasn't a long range shooter.
I agree his FT% needs to improve, but he shot .758 in college and .808 last year, so I think he'll get there.[/QUOTE]

Wade and Turner should never be mentioned in the same breath. Wade is a scorer. "Flash" is his nickname right? Ability to breeze by someone and FINISH at the RIM... yeaaaaa... See none of that in Turner.

bholly
03-02-2012, 01:22 AM
hahahaha yea.. im sure doug collins system is to not get to the free throw line and get easy points and put other teams in foul trouble... time and time again i see lou williams slash to the basket. time and time again i see turner act like hes gonna slash to the basket then stop and pop from the foul line... SOFTTTT! BUM!

Have you watched us play? We don't attack the basket much at all. Lou gets the vast majority of his fouls with that pump fake on jumpers. ET shoots 22% of his shots at the rim, while Lou shoots 17% there. ET shoots 48% of his shots from beyond 16 feet while Lou shoots 55% from there.
We're 29th in the league in shot attempts at the rim, 1st in the league at shot attempts from 10-15 feet, and 2nd in the league in shots from 16-23 feet - it's the whole team, not just ET.

You can see what you like, but it just isn't right.

bholly
03-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Wade and Turner should never be mentioned in the same breath. Wade is a scorer. "Flash" is his nickname right? Ability to breeze by someone and FINISH at the RIM... yeaaaaa... See none of that in Turner.

I never equated them in any way. I just said that 'how many threes does he shoot?' is a beyond stupid way to judge a player just because he's a two.

2-ONE-5
03-02-2012, 01:24 AM
^Do u watch the Sixers. Turner has a great handle and good speed with the ball. He crossed up Wade pretty good in his first game last year. Turner will get his chance and when he does he will be an all-star after a few years

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Have you watched us play? We don't attack the basket much at all. Lou gets the vast majority of his fouls with that pump fake on jumpers.

You can see what you like, but it just isn't right.

hahaha its the nba my man... pump fake doesnt fool professionals that often for it to be a "vast majority" of his FT attempts.. Especially if hes our best offensive player, majority of the time the top defender is on him from the other team. I watch the games.

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:28 AM
^Do u watch the Sixers. Turner has a great handle and good speed with the ball. He crossed up Wade pretty good in his first game last year. Turner will get his chance and when he does he will be an all-star after a few years

Yup. Turner's gonna be an all star. He's just being mentioned as a bust for no reason....

pd7631
03-02-2012, 01:28 AM

This is another stupid statement from you. His size(which is pretty average) is not the reason he's a good rebounder, and he's not just good....he's a great rebounder. He leads all guards in rebounds per 48 minutes (11.2), the next best guard is Paul George at 8.7 rebounds per 48....and George is much longer. He also rebounds at a higher rate than many PF's and C's.

HouRealCoach
03-02-2012, 01:31 AM
I always thought he would be a Brandon Roy type of player but damn the sixers are putting others before him and now that I know that Collin's system goes against his strengths... Philly is ****ing his career up big time

They should have just left him alone and now they need to trade him

pd7631
hahaha its the nba my man... pump fake doesnt fool professionals that often for it to be a "vast majority" of his FT attempts.. Especially if hes our best offensive player, majority of the time the top defender is on him from the other team. I watch the games.

You have 3 Sixer fans telling you you're wrong and questioning whether or not you watch the same team we do....maybe you need to get your eyes checked, or gain some perspective.

PhillyOwnsAll
This is another stupid statement from you. His size(which is pretty average) is not the reason he's a good rebounder, and he's not just good....he's a great rebounder. He leads all guards in rebounds per 48 minutes (11.2), the next best guard is Paul George at 8.7 rebounds per 48....and George is much longer. He also rebounds at a higher rate than many PF's and C's.

hahaha who checks these stats? Get a life lol... I watch the games, I evaluate how well the players play... and quite frankly, turner has been trash. I mean come on now, doug collins deals with him every day. Does he see something that I see thats the reason hes not on the court often?

pd7631
03-02-2012, 01:36 AM
hahaha who checks these stats? Get a life lol... I watch the games, I evaluate how well the players play... and quite frankly, turner has been trash. I mean come on now, doug collins deals with him every day. Does he see something that I see thats the reason hes not on the court often?

Lol, get a life? It takes about 2 minutes to watch the game and say, "ET really is a great rebounder, especially for a guard. I wonder just where he ranks among his peers?"

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Here ya go fellas. Your all star evan turners numbers. 23.7 mpg 8 ppg 5.5 rpg 2.6 apg 1.8 ft attempts at 64 percent.

so if he played 40 minutes that gives him 16 points, 11 rebounds (which would be highlyyyy unlikely to be sustained) and 5 assist. Sure sounds like an all star to me... take over the game turner hahahaha... 24 percent 3 point shooting...... yup GO TO ALL STAR right there

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Lol, get a life? It takes about 2 minutes to watch the game and say, "ET really is a great rebounder, especially for a guard. I wonder just where he ranks among his peers?"

isnt that the problem though genius? Our guard rebounds better than he scores or shoots in general?... Yea.. thought so.

The_Jamal
03-02-2012, 01:43 AM

p/48 or p/36 numbers aren't the best statistical way to hype up a player. Just sayin

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Oh and Paul George. Who is two years younger than turner, averages 12 points and plays 6 more minutes per game... shoots 3s at a 41 percent rate... who needs 3 point shooting ability from a wing player though right???

HouRealCoach
Here ya go fellas. Your all star evan turners numbers. 23.7 mpg 8 ppg 5.5 rpg 2.6 apg 1.8 ft attempts at 64 percent.

so if he played 40 minutes that gives him 16 points, 11 rebounds (which would be highlyyyy unlikely to be sustained) and 5 assist. Sure sounds like an all star to me... take over the game turner hahahaha... 24 percent 3 point shooting...... yup GO TO ALL STAR right there

You just dont get it do you? lol

I think u are Skip Bayless cause NO proof will make u change your mind

U cant just double stats by the minutes lol

pd7631
isnt that the problem though genius? Our guard rebounds better than he scores or shoots in general?... Yea.. thought so.

Doug Collins specifically told Turner that he wants him to defend and rebound, not score. Kinda tough to score when your coach tells you scoring is not part of what he wants you to do.

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:45 AM
p/48 or p/36 numbers aren't the best statistical way to hype up a player. Just sayin

thank you jamal... these clowns are clueless.

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Doug Collins specifically told Turner that he wants him to defend and rebound, not score. Kinda tough to score when your coach tells you scoring is not part of what he wants you to do.

HAHAHHHAHAHA!!! WAIT! He was the second overall pick in the draft 2 years ago! They just want him to defend? Why no confidence in him to score the ball!? We lack a true go to guy right? Why not trust turner by now??? hahaha Oh i know why.... HES A BUST!

pd7631
03-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Oh and Paul George. Who is two years younger than turner, averages 12 points and plays 6 more minutes per game... shoots 3s at a 41 percent rate... who needs 3 point shooting ability from a wing player though right???

He's not a wing player though, why can't you see that? He's playing out of position and being asked to do things that are not what made him so good in college. The guy is not an off the ball player, he needs to control the rock and run the offense.

HouRealCoach
03-02-2012, 01:49 AM

Whats your point? He's in a different system, He starts, He's a better shooter, & he has more of a role... Iys not a question about who is more skilled

pd7631
03-02-2012, 01:50 AM

Why not? I can't go by rebounds per game because not all players play the same amount of minutes. It's not hyping up a player either, it's just displaying the rate at which he rebounds. Anybody that watches Evan Turner play should be impressed by his rebounding ability.

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:51 AM
He's not a wing player though, why can't you see that? He's playing out of position and being asked to do things that are not what made him so good in college. The guy is not an off the ball player, he needs to control the rock and run the offense.

PD you make no sense... wasnt he compared to brandon roy? A wing player. Wasnt iggy supposedddd to be traded and turner would fill his void? A wing player... why the comparisons if hes not a wing player? But you know more than experts so ill just let you keep talking..................

PhillyOwnsAll
03-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Whats your point? He's in a different system, He starts, He's a better shooter, & he has more of a role... Iys not a question about who is more skilled

2nd overall pick should have a stable role on his team by now. Meeks gets the playing time though. Do you know why Coach? Ohhhhhh, hes a wing player that can SHOOT. Makes sense.

DerekRE_3
03-02-2012, 01:55 AM
They should have drafted Cousins. Hell, the Wizards should have too. Thank god neither team did. Even before the Kings got Boogie I thought he was the best player in the draft.

pd7631
03-02-2012, 01:56 AM
PD you make no sense... wasnt he compared to brandon roy? A wing player. Wasnt iggy supposedddd to be traded and turner would fill his void? A wing player... why the comparisons if hes not a wing player? But you know more than experts so ill just let you keep talking..................

When asked Tuesday on “Daily News Live” what is something he would like to do that he hasn’t done yet in the NBA, Turner said become a full-time starting point guard. It was an answer that left even more questions. Does he want to do that here in Philadelphia and if so, does he believe he is a better point guard than Holiday? Or was he suggesting he could play the point and Holiday, who has been asked to score of late, play shooting guard?

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/sixers-talk/post/Sixers-seeking-cure-for-imbalanced-play?blockID=661488&feedID=694

TheSportsHound
03-02-2012, 02:22 AM

I agree with you. He was drafted, because he was the best player in college all-around that year and shows that he still has that ability now. I don't think anyone expected Iggy to still be with the Sixers right now. I always thought that Iggy and Brand should have been sent packing a long time ago to let ET and Thad flourish which they show they will.

pannydancoast
03-02-2012, 02:45 AM
has any mentioned that Evan Turner has NO JUMPER?? or that he didnt flourish in college and high school until he was in his third year.. Unlike most great/good players who usually show theyre talents freshman year.
Also Cousins wouldve been picked if he wasnt walking around Kentuckys campus in SpongeBob Pajamas with the lunch box to match.
They still shouldve obvioulsy taken Cousins, Favors or Monroe, **** and a lot more guys now that you look at it in retrospect. Theyve need a big man since Barkley and a two guard for a while too. All they did was get another wing man-tweener without a solid jumper.... plus his voice sounds funny

abe_froman
03-02-2012, 02:56 AM

i have to correct you on your examples.they didnt trade them away because they drafted a player high,but for other reasons that just so happened to occur within the same year.(was knew to get rid of gil cuz they had wall,seriously? you think the gun incident and constantly being injured had nothing to do with wanting to part ways with him?)

as for turner-he was consensus top 2 pick and they believed that their team sucked and needed a brandon roy to rebuild around,but then they brought in a good coach and soon found out that the losing ways was more due to coaching and not the quality of players

KingPosey
03-02-2012, 03:49 AM

I am going to have to completely disagree with your scouting report, and how it relates to anyone elses at the time of the draft.

Chronz
03-02-2012, 03:51 AM

Its how you put everyone on an equal footing. You have to start with per minute production and work from there

KingPosey
03-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Turner was the consensus #2 on by far the majority of the boards. Anyone saying otherwise wasnt paying attention.

Lim
03-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Doug Collins is to blame for this. literally. RELEASE THE LEASH DOUG, RELEASE IT!

PhillyFaninLA
03-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't think he'll live up to the hype.

We was called the most NBA ready player in the draft and was expected to be a solid well rounded player not a 20 point a game guy.

Right now he is doing in the NBA what he did in college. He is feeling it out, learning slowly, and under performing early. I still think he will be fine and become a triple double machine, with averages like 15, 7, 6 for his career. He just is slow to improve at a given level. Its what happened to him in college and I think you never write someone off in there second year or put them in the hall of fame.

To me for any player you need 3 - 5 complete seasons before you can fairly judge them.

bholly
03-02-2012, 09:45 AM

you clearly don't watch the games, or at least you don't watch Lou, if you think this is true.

OA SLAY
03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
They tried tO trade iggy
Then they started wining

thekmp211
03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
He really wasn't at all. Unanimously scouts said Cousins was a far superior talent to Turner but he had big character issues Turner was the exact opposite. Philly also toyed with the idea of taking Favors but he was too raw.

right....so cousins slipped...making turner the unanimous #2.

this was the wall/turner draft, just like durant/oden, rose/beasley, lebron/darko. everyone characterized it as such.

sixer04fan
03-02-2012, 10:59 AM
hahaha its the nba my man... pump fake doesnt fool professionals that often for it to be a "vast majority" of his FT attempts..

Paul Pierce says hello

pebloemer
03-02-2012, 11:15 AM

Easy to say all of this in hindsight. I don't think Lou Williams, Iggy and Meeks were considered to be in the long-term future of the team. But strong play and strong record has dictated the future differently than anticipated.

It's interesting you bring up Bargnani. Because you could argue that playing behind solid players helped him become the player he is today. "Some considered" Bargnani a bust too. That doesn't mean he became one. There is a fine line between giving young guys ample opportunity and making young guys earn their minutes.

MrfadeawayJB
03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
besides cousins who slipped, i can't really think of anyone who could have justifiably been selected ahead of him at the time.

yeah i agree, he was consensus #2

They picked him because he was clearly the 2nd best player in the draft. I figured they'd trade Iggy when they drafted him because it was obvious their games would clash...

They need to trade Iggy or Williams and get another peice. Allow Turner to get minutes and i think he will improve

dbramforskins21
03-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Turner was a PG in college, playing the 2 spot in the NBA and has been asked to focus on defensive and rebounding because of his size at the fact we have so much depth at the PG/SG spots. Although being picked 2nd, you'd think he'd have a bigger role, but he doesn't. He does what coach asks him to do, which is why the Sixers as a team are 4th in the Eastern conferences behind the Bulls, Heat, and Pacers. I'd like to think his role will increase in the near future but its really all up to the head coach. And as a right now all Collins wants him to do is provide good ball handling, rebounding, and defense off the bench and thats what he gets. Not a bust by any means, more like a great player playing out of position in a system he doesn't neccessairly fit in.

Chucky Woods
03-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Bucks need to go out and get this guy

daboywonder2002
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
because the sixers were so bad they had to take the best player available more so draft based on need. everyone was saying evan turner was the obvious number 2 pick. me personally i thought the sixers needed a 2 guard. obviously evan has not worked out at that position.

waveycrockett
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Turner can't shoot and he can't finish in the paint. I don't understand how giving him more minutes is going to make him a star lol

waveycrockett
03-02-2012, 01:26 PM

right....so cousins slipped...making turner the unanimous #2.

this was the wall/turner draft, just like durant/oden, rose/beasley, lebron/darko. everyone characterized it as such.

Anyone who actually followed that draft class knew wall, favors and cousins had wayy higher ceiling than anyone else. Turner was a safe pick.

Robbw241
03-02-2012, 01:27 PM
If they had Cousins or Favors they'd be so good right now. But it's easy to second guess 2 years later.

fresh prince
03-02-2012, 10:06 PM

He really is.. They were playing him more and letting him do more earlier in the season. Now his minutes are really inconsistent.

Almost feel for the kid. He's a 20 8 and 5 type of talent right now if he got more burn.

h2r09
03-02-2012, 10:10 PM
He really is.. They were playing him more and letting him do more earlier in the season. Now his minutes are really inconsistent.

Almost feel for the kid. He's a 20 8 and 5 type of talent right now if he got more burn.

maybe as far as potential he is but he isn't close to that right now. some guys just don't have what it takes in the nba. i thought both turner and wes johnson were going to be very good players, but they both are busts so far. turner has potential however, he can score.

SeoulBeatz
03-02-2012, 10:14 PM
He was the clear #2 pick, can't go back in time.

Obviously, Cousins, Favors, and Monroe would be a much better fit for this current Sixers roster as we're seriously lacking in big men.

But Evan's lack of production has a lot to do with how crowded our backcourt is. Couple that with Doug Collin's inexplicable love for Jodie Meeks and the whole situation becomes even more frustrating,

But Evan is still the 2nd best rebounding SG in the league (per min), he handles the ball like a pg, and he is a potentially dangerous scorer (if his shot ever starts going down).

Per 36 mins his numbers would come out to 14 ppg, 9 rpg, and 6 apg.

The kid has a bright future, but not with the Sixers as they're currently being run.

h2r09
03-02-2012, 10:23 PM
the sixes probably would have traded cousins by now if he pulled his **** for doug collins.

thekmp211
03-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Anyone who actually followed that draft class knew wall, favors and cousins had wayy higher ceiling than anyone else. Turner was a safe pick.

remains to be seen exactly what favors is all about. again i'm not arguing who had more raw talent. the fact is teams had legitimate concerns about both guys, enough so that turner had moved ahead of both in the eyes of virtually every observer. cousins has proven to be volatile, and favors has been quiet, so it's hard to argue with scouts' reasoning. the fact that turner has underachieved doesn't change any of this.

da ThRONe
03-03-2012, 11:20 AM

I would say I thought Monroe was a better player.

JasonJohnHorn
03-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Iggy was on the trading block at the time, but there were no good deals on the table so they ended up keeping him. Turner is a good player though. He'll be around the league for a while, but he doesn't get much time with the ball and his FG% is a little low, but his rebounding has improved a lot and his assist-to-turnover ratio is not to bad for a player of his position and youth.

JWO35
03-03-2012, 03:53 PM

This

Kutchie03
03-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Evan Turner was getting pegged as the next Brandon Roy. A character player with a complete game. They were a lottery team who needed (and still does need) a true #1 option. It was a no brainer. We're so quick to forget how good these players looked in college.

exactly why there should be at least a 2-year rule in college basketball, can't enter NBA draft until after your sophomore year.

as for turner, they took him because he was the best player available, same reason that washington took wall when they were already set at point guard.

bholly
03-03-2012, 08:01 PM
exactly why there should be at least a 2-year rule in college basketball, can't enter NBA draft until after your sophomore year.

He was saying that you can be really great in college and not have that translate to the NBA. How is that a reason for a two-year rule?

pd7631
03-07-2012, 10:45 PM
You want the answer to why we drafted ET? Watch what he did tonight, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Hustlenomics
03-07-2012, 10:47 PM
killed the celtics, he needs more playing time

pd7631
03-07-2012, 10:51 PM
killed the celtics, he needs more playing time

He's getting it, tonight was just his 2nd start of the season(the other being Monday). Most importantly, he's being used as the PG and playing the way he did in college. He's still got some work to do on his shot, but if he attacks the basket the way he did tonight, he's gonna be fine.

SeoulBeatz
03-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Just one game, but in his second start e.t looked like a stud for the first time in his career.

Swashcuff
03-07-2012, 11:03 PM
I'll always stand by and say that at the time it was indeed the correct decision. If I had a time machine I would have probably chosen Monroe instead but hindsight is a completely different ball game. Evan was without question the right decision for us at the time.

More-Than-Most
03-07-2012, 11:05 PM
the guy needs the ball in his hand and needs to start...His play has been a result of bad coaching... They bring him in and he gets hot and they sit him the rest of the game... He has been horribly used by our team and its about time they start using him correctly

BULLSFAN0810
03-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Iggy is playing well...i think they were waiting for Turner to step up and out play then trade iggy...be patient Turner is a good player,just young.

IndyRealist
03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
26pts, 9rbs, 11-19 shooting, +19 tonight against Boston. That's why.

Wolfman01
03-08-2012, 03:51 AM
Evan Turner was the 2nd best player in the draft why not take him? The 76ers know for sure that when they drafted Evan Turner he was going to be sharing minutes with Andre Iguodala. Many people believe that the 76ers were going to trade Andre Iguodala and give Evan Turner a opportunity at the shooting guard position. Their team is so balance right now and that's mainly the reason why Evan Turner haven't got a chance to play more minutes. I wouldn't say that Evan Turner is a bust just yet due to the fact that the 76ers are a well balanced team and there isn't really a player who do all the scoring.

Ebbs
03-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Iggy was supposed to be on the way out the door.

SeoulBeatz
03-08-2012, 06:53 AM
E.T all day baby

ARMIN12NBA
03-08-2012, 07:26 AM
What would Philly fans think of a potential Iggy/Lou for Pau Gasol (and maybe other draft considerations and young prospects like Morris) trade? I feel like this may be explored by both teams because Philly fills a gaping hole in the front court and adds a legitimate post-up player while freeing up Turner and Holiday to flourish. Meanwhile, LA solidifies their gaping weaknesses at the PG and SF spots, which is currently ranked as the worst production in the league.

tcav701
03-08-2012, 08:41 AM
What would Philly fans think of a potential Iggy/Lou for Pau Gasol (and maybe other draft considerations and young prospects like Morris) trade? I feel like this may be explored by both teams because Philly fills a gaping hole in the front court and adds a legitimate post-up player while freeing up Turner and Holiday to flourish. Meanwhile, LA solidifies their gaping weaknesses at the PG and SF spots, which is currently ranked as the worst production in the league.

I think it would be wise for PHI to trade some of their bench depth.

I also think its wise to find a team that will take Brands contract as well....

But I guess they can just amnesty him if they want.

PhillyFaninLA
03-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I think it would be wise for PHI to trade some of their bench depth.

I also think its wise to find a team that will take Brands contract as well....

But I guess they can just amnesty him if they want.

Brand won't be traded, if anything he will be amnestied after the season, seem to remember reading a comment from Rod Thorn or the new owners that Brand would be amnestied in the offseason if it meant getting a big time player.

Wise wouldn't be trading Brand even if not amnestied because he is a free agent after next season so you would lose his entire salary either this off season or next. With him being a free agent in 15 months or so his contract isn't that bad anymore and when he has fresh legs under him he still does quite well. You are better off letting him walk if he does not receive the amnesty.

FrenchSunsFan
03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
2 Turner
3 Favors
4 Wesley Johnson

= overrated draft

tcav701
03-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Brand won't be traded, if anything he will be amnestied after the season, seem to remember reading a comment from Rod Thorn or the new owners that Brand would be amnestied in the offseason if it meant getting a big time player.

Wise wouldn't be trading Brand even if not amnestied because he is a free agent after next season so you would lose his entire salary either this off season or next. With him being a free agent in 15 months or so his contract isn't that bad anymore and when he has fresh legs under him he still does quite well. You are better off letting him walk if he does not receive the amnesty.

I agree for the most part.

What I was talking about a potential trade for a highly paid player. You may have to trade brand to make salaries work.

I think Gasol would get a 15% raise if traded, so in deal for Gasol (which is what the poster I quoted mentioned) Brand would have to be included.

Are there any rumors of PHI being interested in Josh Smith?

That would be dirty.

UPRock
03-08-2012, 09:37 AM
2 Turner
3 Favors
4 Wesley Johnson

= overrated draft

And of all Wesley is the one getting more minutes and not playing well. Favors and Turner are both good players without getting big minutes.

HouRealCoach
03-08-2012, 09:50 AM
And of all Wesley is the one getting more minutes and not playing well. Favors and Turner are both good players without getting big minutes.

Yeah Jazz needs to hurry up and make room for Favors and Kanter and Minny would be a good place for Turner to go

2-ONE-5
03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I agree for the most part.

What I was talking about a potential trade for a highly paid player. You may have to trade brand to make salaries work.

I think Gasol would get a 15% raise if traded, so in deal for Gasol (which is what the poster I quoted mentioned) Brand would have to be included.

Are there any rumors of PHI being interested in Josh Smith?

That would be dirty.

an emphatic NO to Josh Smith. Doesnt bring anything to the team that we dont already have. Not gonna give up arguably are 2 best players either for a 31 year old Gasol.

KingOf215
03-08-2012, 06:22 PM
an emphatic NO to Josh Smith. Doesnt bring anything to the team that we dont already have. Not gonna give up arguably are 2 best players either for a 31 year old Gasol.

It's not arguable. They are NOT the 2 best players on the Sixers, but NO to J-Smooth for sure.