PDA

View Full Version : Isaiah Thomas/Kyrie Irving named rookies of the month

PleaseBeNice
03-01-2012, 04:45 PM
NEW YORK, March 1, 2012 -- The Cavaliers’ Kyrie Irving and the Kings’ Isaiah Thomas were today named the NBA Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month, respectively, for games played in February. The award is the second for Irving this season and the first for Thomas.

Irving led all rookies in scoring (19.3 ppg), free throw percentage (.953) and minutes (35.3 mpg), while leading Eastern Conference rookies in assists (5.6 apg), three-point field goal percentage (.444) and fourth-quarter scoring (6.8 ppg). He scored 20 or more points in six games in February, shooting .500 or better four times and notching a season-high 11 assists on Feb. 22, against the New Orleans Hornets.

Thomas led Western Conference rookies in February in scoring (12.2 ppg) and was second in assists (4.4 apg). He recorded his first five career starts last month, scoring 96 total points, enough to match Otis Birdsong’s franchise record for most points scored in a player’s first five starts, set during the 1970-71 season.

Here is a recap of the month for both Irving and Thomas:

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers
Feb. 4 vs. Dallas: Scored 20 points and added seven assists in a 91-88 win over the Mavericks.
Feb. 15 vs. Indiana: Scored 22 points and dished out five assists in a 98-87 win over the Pacers.
Feb. 19 vs. Sacramento: Scored 23 points and added two blocks in a 93-92 victory over the Kings.
Feb. 21 vs. Detroit: Scored 25 points and added eight assists and five rebounds in a 101-100 win over the Pistons.

Isaiah Thomas, Sacramento Kings
Feb. 6 @ New Orleans: Scored 17 points and recorded six assists and five rebounds in a 100-92 victory over the Hornets.
Feb. 19 @ Cleveland: Scored 23 points and tallied 11 assists and eight rebounds, both career highs, in a 93-92 loss to the Cavaliers.
Feb. 21 @ Miami: Scored a career-high 24 points to go with five rebounds and four assists in a 120-108 loss to the Heat.
Feb. 28 vs. Utah: Finished with 18 points, eight assists and two rebounds in a 103-96 win over the Jazz.

Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month were Charlotte’s Kemba Walker, Denver’s Kenneth Faried, Detroit’s Brandon Knight, Houston’s Chandler Parsons, Minnesota’s Ricky Rubio and New Jersey’s MarShon Brooks.
http://www.nba.com/kings/news/isaiah_thomas_rookie_of_the_month_release.html

Pretty impressive for a 5'9" 60th pick IMO

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 04:47 PM
I honestly don't think Isiah Thomas is very good. After Rubio the west rookies are really weak.

Cfrey
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
once guys on the wolves start hitting the most wide open shots rubio will average 15 assists per game..

until that i have know problem giving this to isaiah

Klivlend
03-01-2012, 04:54 PM
For whatever reason I REALLY do not like Isaiah Thomas. And I live in Seattle.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-01-2012, 04:54 PM
I honestly don't think Isiah Thomas is very good. After Rubio the west rookies are really weak.

The West had 2 of the top 3 picks. On top of those 2, a rookie in Rubio.

DerekRE_3
03-01-2012, 04:55 PM

I doubt you've seen much of Isaiah then.

i'myourdaddy
03-01-2012, 04:57 PM
once guys on the wolves start hitting the most wide open shots rubio will average 15 assists per game..

haha the same crap can said about the kings missing wide open shot

PleaseBeNice
03-01-2012, 04:58 PM

That could be said for a lot of point guards

Cfrey
03-01-2012, 05:02 PM
That could be said for a lot of point guards

im going to have to disagree with you... because yeah guys are going to miss shots but being a Wolves fan and watching a lot of the games it is so obvious that rubio could very well average 12+ assists at some point.. the amount of times he's gotten jipped out of assists is ridiculous..

I mean **** he had 9 assists last night and I didn't even realize it until I saw the box score.. I was watching the game and its like **** we played so bad

AND the reason I say this can't be said for a lot of PGs is because Rubio's court vision is top 5 in the league.. give a year or two for more chemistry and a better understanding of the offense and Rubio will be a dime machine

thekmp211
03-01-2012, 05:07 PM
thomas is another great story for the nba season.

irving has just been incredible. can't believe how quickly he's developed.

ManRam
03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Irving hands down deserves it. He's a runaway for ROY right now...no disrespect to Rubio.

Isiah was a bit better than Ricky this past month. He was very deserving. It was close, especially because of Rubio's passing, but he scored at such an awful rate, whereas Thomas was a bit more efficient.

Da Knicks
03-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Irving is the real deal dude is just lightning quick i want to see him and Wall have a race. As far as Isiah his name just makes me want to vomit in my mouth...

Gators123
03-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Irving is a beast. Not gonna lie, I thought he would be a bust.

ManRam
03-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Irving is a beast. Not gonna lie, I thought he would be a bust.

Yeah. I wasn't sold on him, mainly because I wasn't able to see him play much, and had some anti-Duke bias in me...

But he's definitely the real deal. Having a better rookie season than the likes of LeBron and Rose...which is amazing.

UPRock
03-01-2012, 05:29 PM

Yeah, but he struggling very bad at making shots. I like Rubio, and I think he can be the best point guard in the NBA someday but he needs to make shots.

Slimsim
03-01-2012, 05:30 PM
How has Enes kantar look ?

JasonJohnHorn
03-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Its funny that Thomas put up numbers comparable to Lin for his first five starts, but because he doesnt play in NY he doesn't have 5.0 threads about him... lol

DerekRE_3
03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Its funny that Thomas put up numbers comparable to Lin for his first five starts, but because he doesnt play in NY he doesn't have 5.0 threads about him... lol

Isaiah also doesn't turn it over 6 times a game. He averages 7 assists to 2.5 to's as a starter

boogie-reke
03-01-2012, 06:20 PM
How has Enes kantar look ?

Like a guy who'll give fits to Kevin Love in the "Best rebounder in the league" competition and a walking double double as he gets consistent minutes in the future.

Sadly for him (and Favors, and Burks) Utah are not that keen on developing thier young talents, and would rather be a last pick in the lottary type of team.

And well deserving to Isiah! Zeke 2.0 showin people hows it done, thats ma boy!

PleaseBeNice
03-01-2012, 07:59 PM
He is Mr Relevant now!

heyman321
03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah. I wasn't sold on him, mainly because I wasn't able to see him play much, and had some anti-Duke bias in me...

But he's definitely the real deal. Having a better rookie season than the likes of LeBron and Rose...which is amazing.

lol wtf?

DerekRE_3
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
lol wtf?

Tyreke Evans actually had a better rookie season statistically than LeBron James, believe it or not. James' efficiency wasn't the greatest. Melo probably should have gotten rookie of the year that year.

boogie-reke
03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Irvings numbers compare to rookie Steph Curry.

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I doubt you've seen much of Isaiah then.

I've seen quite a bit of him actually and he is OK but he I have doubts he'll ever be more than a backup PG in this league. I actually see this more as a commentary on Jimmer Fredette.

The_Jamal
03-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I've seen quite a bit of him actually and he is OK but he I have doubts he'll ever be more than a backup PG in this league. I actually see this more as a commentary on Jimmer Fredette.

Are you kidding? How many 60th picks in the draft put up 19/6.8/4 on 50% shooting? IT has been effing amazing and it's great that he's getting proper recognition for it

PleaseBeNice
03-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Well get rid of that doubt, because he's starting

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Well get rid of that doubt, because he's starting

I should of prefaced that with "on a playoff team". I mean alot of guys have started at PG. Sundiate Gaines has been a "starter" in this league, heck so has Chris Duhon so it's all relative but again he is an OK player but no team serious about winning would ever start this guy.

waveycrockett
03-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Are you kidding? How many 60th picks in the draft put up 19/6.8/4 on 50% shooting? IT has been effing amazing and it's great that he's getting proper recognition for it

LOL it's a 5 game sample size. I could show you a 5 game sample size that shows Kwame Brown will be a future allstar and that Jeremy Lin is a top-3 player in the league.

central2003
03-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Its funny how isaiah is not on espn constantly like Lin is .. i hate how even the media is so bias when it comes to small market vs big market. if lin was playing on the bobcats you would barley hear about him.