PDA

View Full Version : What do you want out of a leaving star?

AceMan
02-29-2012, 09:48 PM
LeBron led Cleveland on and made them believe they were going to resign him. Carmelo didn't really say anything, and to be honest we still don't know what he would have done if he hadn't been traded to the Knicks (he may not have been able to pass on the old CBA's extension). Dwight has outright said he's leaving, he demanded a trade, and now he's apparently thinking he'd rather wait until free agency so the team he signs with won't have to give anything up for him. Three stars, three very different approaches. Yet all three get bashed mercilessly. How would you want a star who's definitely leaving to carry himself? It's a free country, they have every right to leave, but it seems like there's nothing they can do to protect their image.

lakerboy
02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Deron Williams is handling the situation perfectly fine in my opinion. The spat with Jerry Sloan wasn't really related to his free agency, and other than that, I think he handled it pretty well.

With Deron, he doesn't leak any info to his handlers or to his team. He also doesn't hide behind his agent.

Leaving stars should do what he is doing.

mdm692
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
nash is playing until the end of his contract and then he will make a decision via FA :D

beasted86
02-29-2012, 10:34 PM
STFU and play hard until the contract expires.

Don't leak demands behind the scenes either.

C_Mund
02-29-2012, 10:43 PM

There it is.
A couple people above also mentioned Williams and Nash. Both perfect examples.
I always use corporations as examples of how a basketball franchise should work...but if you're super high up in some kind of oil company and you leak information to your wife and she tells a friend and all of a sudden million-dollar deals are dropped, guess who gets the axe? It should be the same with bball players. You make 15 million dollars a year to play ball, just honor your contract and keep your mouth shut.

....not to mention that it's against the rules of the CBA to talk with other team's exec's and, to a lesser extent, players, about player movement. Going out partying with a friend on another team and recruiting him when he's under contract is part of the owners' gripe during the lockout. These situations technically shouldn't even arise until free agency.

ManRam
02-29-2012, 11:43 PM

That's about it.

If you want to leave, tell your team, and shut up. Period. If you're unsure, perhaps tell your team you're unsure, or if not, just play out your contract that you signed and should honor, and then start the drama after it's up. Honor your contract respectfully.

Oh, and not even just STFU and play hard...how about don't throw your entire team and franchise under the bus. Coward...

Vampirate
03-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Wow a year or 2 ago Dwight I think was looked as the fun lovable centre, now he won't shut up and is getting on people's nerves, especially Magic fans. It's amazing what looming free agency does to a player.

ManRam
03-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Wow a year or 2 ago Dwight I think was looked as the fun lovable centre, now he won't shut up and is getting on people's nerves, especially Magic fans. It's amazing what looming free agency does to a player.

Meh, a lot of Magic fans defend him and have no issues with what he's saying. I just have tended to not like him as much as 99.8% of Magic fans....you can ask around. He's always frustrated me in a variety of ways...and I've never been fond of his mental fortitude and emotional maturity.

Vampirate
03-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Meh, a lot of Magic fans defend him and have no issues with what he's saying. I just have tended to not like him as much as 99.8% of Magic fans....you can ask around. He's always frustrated me in a variety of ways...and I've never been fond of his mental fortitude and emotional maturity.

The situation reminds me of the Bosh situation in Toronto except keeping Bosh would have stagnated Toronto while losing Dwight almost cripples the Magic for a while.

phoenix_bladen
03-01-2012, 12:16 AM
How is deron williams An example?

Lebron never leaked **** out too but he left

If deron leaves everyone will hate him too

Sinestro
03-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Be honest and give the team a chance to trade you or shut up and play out your contract

Yunqn
03-01-2012, 12:28 AM
LeBron led Cleveland on and made them believe they were going to resign him. Carmelo didn't really say anything, and to be honest we still don't know what he would have done if he hadn't been traded to the Knicks (he may not have been able to pass on the old CBA's extension). Dwight has outright said he's leaving, he demanded a trade, and now he's apparently thinking he'd rather wait until free agency so the team he signs with won't have to give anything up for him. Three stars, three very different approaches. Yet all three get bashed mercilessly. How would you want a star who's definitely leaving to carry himself? It's a free country, they have every right to leave, but it seems like there's nothing they can do to protect their image.

You said everything all wrong..

Lebron didnt say anything
Melo led denver to believe they could keep em and then forced his way to one team and flirted all along..( his was worst than anyone)
Dwight isnt saying anything but is letting it known through his agent leaking out a list before the season that he wants out..

Lebron for all the hate had the easiest departure.. Melo disrespected denver imo.. Obvs lebron would take back the show but he didnt leave the way the others did and are doing

Yunqn
03-01-2012, 12:35 AM
How is deron williams An example?

Lebron never leaked **** out too but he left

If deron leaves everyone will hate him too

Why because there front office handled everything terribly?
They are banking on getting dwight.. Their holding back everything just for one man who isnt on their roster to turn back everything ..

Its almost like when the knicks looked pathetically desperate for lebron for two whole years smh .. Nj should lose deron and not to offend any true net fans who will always be but i do hope that they lose deron becuase of the front office