PDA

View Full Version : LA Clippers Want ‘Clipper Darrell’ to Drop His Name

Gators123
02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlla/la-clippers-want-clipper-darrell-to-change-his-name_b54797

Despite the addition of Chris Paul and first place in the Pacific Division, the Los Angeles Clippers are still … well … the Los Angeles Clippers.

The front office wants superfan “Clipper Darrell,” aka Darrell Bailey, to drop the Clipper nickname.

After Bleacher Report was denied media credentials while doing a profile on the man who has stood by the Clippers through thick and a whole lot of thin, Bailey called team president Andy Roeser to get an explanation.

Carl Lahr, senior vice president of marketing and sales, eventually returned Bailey’s call last week and informed him that the organization didn’t need him doing stories or speaking to the media on behalf of the team.

“We got to talking and I said the way I feel, you don’t want Clipper Darrell no more,” Bailey told FishbowlLA Wednesday. “You want Darrell Bailey back. They said, ‘You would do that?’”

According to Bailey, the Clippers offered him an additional free season ticket if he dropped the Clipper nickname.

“That’s when everything went haywire and they said I was trying to make money off sponsorships,” Bailey added. “If people are going to pay me to do some things, why not do it? I don’t see any harm in it as long as I’m not hurting the brand itself. I’m going to high schools, charity events, I do it all. They told me at the end of the conversation that, ‘We would like you not to be Clipper Darrell anymore and would like you to go back to Darrell Bailey.’”

Lahr could not be reached for immediate comment.

Instead of wearing his customary red and blue suit, Bailey wore all black to Tuesday’s game against the Minnesota Timberwolves. When the Clippers return home from their six-game road trip on March 11, fans shouldn’t expect to find a vocal Bailey cheering on the team.

“Am I going to go back as Clipper Darrell? I can’t. It’s kind of hard to get back into a groove again. Honestly, it tells me they really didn’t care about me from the jump. They just used me for their advertisement and that’s the hurtful situation.”

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-29-2012, 06:27 PM
The L.A. Clippers are 0-1 with Darrell Bailey in the stands, just saying. :laugh2:

jsthornton7
02-29-2012, 06:27 PM
i posted this and it got moved lol

310Casper
02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
He's ghetto. Cant blame the Clipper organization for not wanting him to falsely represent them. The clippers are revamped this year and have upped their image, they dont need some loud-mouthed ghetto fan misrepresenting them.

If he doesnt like it, then he can stay home.

Would you want this guy being the unofficial face of your organization at the arena?

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2010/11/clipper-darrell-suit.jpg

jsthornton7
02-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Lifelong Clipper fan, Clipper Darrell who has been the most loyal fan i have ever heard of has been told by the clippers front office they no longer want him to be "clipper darrell". here is his sad tweet:

Clipper Darrell ‏ @clipperdarrell Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
It is with great sadness 2 say this that I have been told by @LAClippers front office that they no longer want me 2 b Clipper Darrell

http://clipperdarrell.com/2012/02/29/i-am-devastated/

GiantsSwaGG
02-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Who?

GodsSon
02-29-2012, 06:33 PM
He's ghetto. Cant blame the Clipper organization for not wanting him to falsely represent them. The clippers are revamped this year and have upped their image, they dont need some loud-mouthed ghetto fan misrepresenting them.

Would you want this guy being the unofficial face of your organization at the arena?

And yet he still proudly represented that joke of a franchise for as long as he did, pumping time and money into a losing cause.

Now that they're gaining relevance they want to alienate someone who has been one of their biggest supporters? That's just pathetic.

jsthornton7
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Typical Donald Sterling

310Casper
02-29-2012, 06:37 PM
He's better off rooting for the harlem globe trotters with his loud-mouthed annoying self. He'd fit in better at one of their games.

If the Clippers want to compete with the Lakers image in LA, they need to drop clowns like him representing them in the media.

justinnum1
02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
cp3
@clipperdarrell WE GOT YOU!!!

does that mean its a joke?

netsgiantsyanks
02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
nvm, i think it's a joke.

netsgiantsyanks
02-29-2012, 06:47 PM
He's better off rooting for the harlem globe trotters with his loud-mouthed annoying self. He'd fit in better at one of their games.

If the Clippers want to compete with the Lakers image in LA, they need to drop clowns like him representing them in the media.

"he's ghetto, blah blah blah."

so what? he roots for his team endlessly, sacrifices his image, and you think it's ok for the organization to say, "thanks for all the support, but **** you now."

that's just ****ed up.

jsthornton7
02-29-2012, 06:50 PM
i dont think its a joke blake griffin and andrew bogut have tweeted about the situation too. chris paul probably means "we got your back"

Bruno
02-29-2012, 07:14 PM
this dude was dominating the drew league gooden league game in long beach over summer. the players acknowledged him.

justinnum1
02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
this dude was dominating the drew league gooden league game in long beach over summer. the players acknowledged him.

huh? i thought this guy was like 60...:confused:

John Walls Era
02-29-2012, 07:33 PM
The Clippers offered him an additional free season ticket if he dropped the Clipper nickname.

Big spenders...

Bruno
02-29-2012, 07:33 PM
huh? i thought this guy was like 60...:confused:

dominating...from the stands! :laugh2:

yellin' all game.

beasted86
02-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Big spenders...

I laughed as well

gotoHcarolina52
02-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Wait, Cedric the Entertainer is a Clippers fan?

justinnum1
02-29-2012, 08:02 PM
dominating...from the stands! :laugh2:

yellin' all game.

lol, clippers must be the shadiest, douche bag franchise, everything i have read about them, from owner, to management just reeks of amateur hour

gotoHcarolina52
02-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Statement from the Clippers

“The Clippers have done absolutely nothing wrong or inappropriate as it concerns Darrell Bailey. His claims are absurd and unfounded. He has never been an employee or representative of the Clippers organization, and therefore cannot be terminated. The Clippers have never engaged Mr. Bailey’s services. When he has been in need, the organization has regularly provided him a seat for games. No good deed goes unpunished.

We have had multiple conversations with him concerning his inappropriate use of the Clippers’ team name and trademark for his own unmonitored commercial gain. We have spoken to him repeatedly about his desire to make public appearances in ways which improperly suggest that he is officially affiliated with our organization. In all cases and over a long period of time, he has consistently rejected our efforts to operate in consultation.

In a conversation with an authoritative and tenured Clippers’ executive last week, he was asked again to either consult with the team on all public appearances and/or commercial ventures, or stop undertaking those opportunities representing himself inappropriately. His response was an offer to stop representing himself commercially in that way and his offer was accepted in principle.
The next thing we heard was the baseless claims he has made today and the ensuing media rush to judgment.

We hold all of our fans in the highest esteem and we have been patient and generous with Mr. Bailey. He has not returned our support in an honorable way. He is not actually a fan of the Clippers, but a fan of what he can make off of the Clippers. We are no longer interested in that kind of association with him, and that is why we accepted his offer to remove our team name from his stage name.”
http://clippers.ocregister.com/2012/02/29/clippers-statement-regarding-clipper-darrell/

:pity:

Trueblue2
02-29-2012, 08:30 PM

Hell yea I would, he stood by the team when they were nothing with extreme loyalty and became part of the attraction to clipper games. I'd buy him a purple and gold suit with my own money if he wanted to become "Laker Darrell."

Master Mind
02-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Huh? :confused:

Trueblue2
02-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Huh? :confused:

This.

I don't see what you could base that off of other than his race. So what he's loud? That's what fans are supposed to be.

5ass
02-29-2012, 08:42 PM
they literally just lost their biggest fan

PraiseJesus
02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
The clippers are such an embarassment

kozelkid
02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Statement from the Clippers

http://clippers.ocregister.com/2012/02/29/clippers-statement-regarding-clipper-darrell/

:pity:

Well, there are two stories to everything... :shrug:

Still, considering how ****** of a reputation that FO already has, it's a hard time believing them.

PraiseJesus
02-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Here is a loss for the Clippers - I wont attend another game after this.

Laker Legend42
02-29-2012, 08:57 PM

What makes him ghetto? Is that jets fan or that raiders fan " ghetto" you see these dudes in advertisements in most if not all cases for free. Now the clippers are relevant his fan support is no longer needed? This is what makes them the clippers. No loyalty to fans or anyone else for that matter. If not for the bobcats the clippers would still hold the title for worse organization in the league.

iliketurtles24
02-29-2012, 09:00 PM
ha, good job FO

gotoHcarolina52
02-29-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't see how he's ghetto either. He actually comes across very likable and respectable in this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c6QG8EIOTA

Chronz
02-29-2012, 09:39 PM
I don't see how he's ghetto either. He actually comes across very likable and respectable in this interview:

That clip led me to this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0HYk79gkmg&feature=related

Now thats a ghetto version of Clipper Daryl

"Tear that booty up if you dont play right"

elizur
02-29-2012, 09:47 PM

I do not see anything wrong with that picture, other than you may be inferring he is "ghetto" because he is black.

king4day
02-29-2012, 09:49 PM

I would 100%.
The Suns have a fan similar to that who I'm sure most NBA fans have seen as he travels with the team (not literally) a lot. Mr. ORNG.
Guy is hardcore dedicated.

If this guy is that devoted then I see no reason to not want him in the stands.

kjoke
02-29-2012, 09:51 PM
If this guy has been using the Clipper name for his own commercial gain, than i don't see the clippers as the bad guys here

NYtilIdie
02-29-2012, 09:53 PM
I guess because you're black that means your "ghetto" I guess we found the ignorant post in this thread.

Honestly, if you treat you biggest, die-hard fan like that, I wish nothing but bad luck to your franchise (wish is pretty point-less to do with the Clippers).

NYtilIdie
02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
This is the first time I heard this guy too, so his name isn't that big.

Master Mind
02-29-2012, 10:01 PM
What's with this "ghetto" thing?...

justjames
02-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Never heard of him. Good job making him more well known, Clippers.

gotoHcarolina52
02-29-2012, 10:13 PM
That clip led me to this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0HYk79gkmg&feature=related

Now thats a ghetto version of Clipper Daryl

"Tear that booty up if you dont play right"

:laugh:

C_Mund
02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
So initially they were only concerned about him representing the franchise unofficially and wanted input on when/where he could appear? Why not offer him a contract: give him his pair of season tickets for free and then you can decide when/where he is able to use your franchise name. Win win.

beasted86
02-29-2012, 10:24 PM
So initially they were only concerned about him representing the franchise unofficially and wanted input on when/where he could appear? Why not offer him a contract: give him his pair of season tickets for free and then you can decide when/where he is able to use your franchise name. Win win.

+ Donald Sterling = Never gonna happen.

C_Mund
02-29-2012, 10:45 PM
+ Donald Sterling = Never gonna happen.

haha, good call. Clipper Darrell just got Sterlinged.

Fresno
02-29-2012, 11:00 PM
This is sad news.

I know of Clipper Darrell.

This guy is a dedicated super-fan who has been repping the Clippers throughout all of their embarrassing years and never quitting on the team. Now that the Clippers have a bunch of bandwagon & celebrity fans they're trying to detach themselves from the fans who have been supporting them through the Olowokandi years even the Danny Manning years.

dnewguy
02-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Let me get this straight, when they were the butt of joke that guy was their Spike Lee but once they got to be lob city, he's too "ghetto" for them? Phew

Kaspa
02-29-2012, 11:14 PM

Buddy looks and sounds like Cedric The Entertainer :laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Vic the Brick Jacobs >>>> Clipper Darrel

Davidgta1
03-01-2012, 12:49 AM
But he's there Jack Nicholson lmao

Sadds The Gr8
03-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Heard of him for the first time last week when CP3 mentioned him during the BS Report podcast. The Clippers FO are ****in morons for doing this...mistreating one of the most dedicated fans they have.

JRisdabest
03-01-2012, 01:27 AM
cuz hes black

gotoHcarolina52
03-01-2012, 01:36 AM
The man practically destroyed his BMW (http://farm1.staticflickr.com/160/329581922_8dfe2ee364_z.jpg) and his living room (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kIAqbPFvNl4/TUxWOsJL8qI/AAAAAAAAANc/OprKwwdBhds/s1600/clipper+darrell.jpg) to display his heartfelt love and support for the Clippers. And he did all this back when they sucked balls.

And this is how they treat what may very well be their lone true diehard fan? :pity:

Ray_R
03-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Honestly I would. I much rather someone who is loud mouth and passionate as I an in the stands, then some stuck up snobs that barely cheer in the floor seat.

Jenceman
03-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Yeah, well there goes your biggest fan you idiots.

jammastershake
03-01-2012, 02:54 AM

nice post, whitey.

McPeak92
03-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Whats a Clipper Darrell?

Avenged
03-01-2012, 03:01 AM
Sad, messed up story.

One of their most loyal fans through thick & then, and once the Clippers become relevant they kick him to the curve.

The Final Boss
03-01-2012, 03:14 AM
i posted this and it got moved lol

lol

Rego247
03-01-2012, 03:17 AM
What a ****** organization.

No class whatsoever.

lakers4sho
03-01-2012, 03:40 AM

Yes.

USMCLaker
03-01-2012, 04:16 AM
nice post, whitey.

Lol.

Yea how dare Clipper Darrell not wear a suit he's an embarrassment to the Clipper establishment.

An embarrassment to the Clipper establishment that thought alone is hilarious.

Method28
03-01-2012, 04:34 AM
Ya know this isnt the first time this has happened. Theyve tried to boot this guy for so long. I dont think they have a problem with him cherring and doing what he does....the thing is that he has promotions here in the area and he uses the Clippers name. I saw him a couple years ago at an opening for a car dealership in LA and he was there acting like he works for the clippers. He uses their name to gain money. Thats illegal and I see why theyre upset.

With that being said....its a bad pr move in the middle of a great year for the team.

USMCLaker
03-01-2012, 04:41 AM
Honestly I would. I much rather someone who is loud mouth and passionate as I an in the stands, then some stuck up snobs that barely cheer in the floor seat.

I can not express to you how much I agree.

Ya know this isnt the first time this has happened. Theyve tried to boot this guy for so long. I dont think they have a problem with him cherring and doing what he does....the thing is that he has promotions here in the area and he uses the Clippers name. I saw him a couple years ago at an opening for a car dealership in LA and he was there acting like he works for the clippers. He uses their name to gain money. Thats illegal and I see why theyre upset.

With that being said....its a bad pr move in the middle of a great year for the team.

Your point is logical and I would be more concerned about someone not on my payroll acting as if they represent my product. However, there was a very easy fix for the Clipper front office and that is ask Clipper Darrell to change his name to Clipper fan Darrell and to sign something legally binding promising not to misrepresent himself as an agent of the organization in any way. Problem solved and PR travesty averted.

TheHardTruth
03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
This is why i'll never support the Clippers.

benzni
03-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Clippers still suck. Their management is run by **** for brains.

Who would want to root for a team that can't win or keep fans. Worse than being a Nets fan

MackShock
03-01-2012, 10:15 AM
donald sterling, still owner.

braveniler58
03-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Shame on you, Clippers. Stand by your longtime fans. Shame on you.

I hope the Suns never do this to Mr. ORNG

Bob_at_york
03-01-2012, 01:26 PM

I agree, bad time for this PR move but if he was profiting from being a fan and the team had tried to create a working relationship with him and he denied them, then I can see where they are coming from. I thought he was just a fan, I had no idea he made money off his "character".

Supa
03-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Used and abandoned. It's like Clippers saying to Darrell, "Now that our status has risen, you're not pretty enough anymore".

---

nycsports2
03-01-2012, 01:43 PM
And yet he still proudly represented that joke of a franchise for as long as he did, pumping time and money into a losing cause.

Now that they're gaining relevance they want to alienate someone who has been one of their biggest supporters? That's just pathetic.

i agree with this its ridiculous

knicksfansunite
03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Hey everyone-

We're all well aware of the Clipper Darrell story as he was allegedly asked by the Clippers to stop using the name Clipper Darrell.

Pretty depressing story if you ask me, and Bleacher Report's Why We Watch who happened to be on the scene has released some of their exclusive footage of how he felt just hours after he spoke with the Clippers.

I thought I'd share this with everyone, as we're all fans whether it be super fans or casual fans we're all one in the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pi4DSSHu_o

shep33
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I understand the Clippers management being concerned about him making money off the team... I don't know if it's true or not, but even if it is, you have to turn a blind eye at that. I mean that's just sad. Really how much money is he even making?

uptown0364
03-09-2012, 01:21 PM
The Clippers are a terrible organization. They should embrace the paying fans that kept them in the NBA all of these years. His situation reminds me of Ronnie Woo Woo, who makes money off of being a local celeb and is embraced by the Cubs organization.

310Casper
03-09-2012, 01:26 PM
that last part of the clip where they show him just standing outside of staples center, staring at it from a distance looking all lonely and depressed like a puppy that just got kicked out of a room and just sits by the door :(

310Casper
03-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Its like the Lakers refusing to continue Jack Nicholson's front row season tickets after 20+ years? Then telling him they dont want him representing laker fans anymore. That would cause an uproar in LA, he's been sitting at that same chair since the showtime laker days, the kobe/shaq days, and still till this day. He's seen 10+ rings won in front of his eyes.

Sinestro
03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Sad story.... poor guy

Kashmir13579
03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Knicks asking spike to stop repping the team. smh

theducksmuggler
03-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Its a shame but it did look like he was making money off the organization, but who cares he was embraced by the fans and the community, sometimes organizations really just need to let some things go. But yeah Donald Sterling is their owner what do you expect?

dolfan2909
03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/01/sports/la-sp-0302-plaschke-20120302

seems like the clips were more than fair, $70 a night along with free premium tix and being allowed to get paid as a clippers spokesmen/representative but he still wants full creative control, if you want to get paid like an employee better be prepared to act like one, no sympathy for clipper darrell here at all, I think he had this plan laid out years ago knowing that at some point the clippers would have to be good, potentially better than the lakers, and he could cash out, he's a shrewd businessman, not a die hard fan

THINKBLUE15
03-09-2012, 03:23 PM

That's a win for the Clips. Probably the biggest.

kylem4711
03-09-2012, 04:48 PM

good. 1 less laker fan at a clipper game is not a loss at all

Birdmannn
03-09-2012, 06:22 PM
He is making money off this which isnt right. Sue his *** so he stops then look like the nice guys by giving him a season ticket. Works out great.