PDA

View Full Version : Are the Jays interested in Vlad?

Big Hurt
02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Wouldn't hurt....

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/324675-jays-willing-to-bring-in-vlad?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a6

AA09-?
02-29-2012, 04:41 PM
It would definitely require some player movement. Do you try and trade EE, Francisco, Rajai?

nstojic
02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
of the remaining FAs, I would snag Magglio.. I would use him as a DH against lefties.. great numbers against them just recently...

craigerlee
02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
If I was gonna grab Vlad or Magglio I'd probably try and trade Davis and Francisco away to someone. Maybe the Nats are that desperate for a CF. Then I'd keep Snider and Thames up with the big team and have Snider play some CF when Rasmus needs a day off and shuffle him, Thames, EE, Lind, Magglio/Vlad around the LF, DH, and 1B positions. I think its important Snider sticks with the club as we all know he can go back and rake at AAA, lets see how he can do at the MLB level and I'm sure with guys taking days off, getting injured, etc. you can easily find him and Thames enough at bats here.

mtf
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
I really don't understand the logic behind these types of idea's, such as Vlad, Manny, Johnny Damon, etc. These guys obviously aren't going to be adding to the long-term future and they aren't significant enough to add anything tangible in the short-term.

I've made no secret of the fact that I want to see some impact players brought in, some top tier talent (ie. Votto, Fielder, etc) and I think it's the only way you win the AL East, but absent that possibility I can't see why you'd want to take away playing time from young talent and give it to these guys who are a season away from retirement.

craigerlee
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
I really don't understand the logic behind these types of idea's, such as Vlad, Manny, Johnny Damon, etc. These guys obviously aren't going to be adding to the long-term future and they aren't significant enough to add anything tangible in the short-term.

I've made no secret of the fact that I want to see some impact players brought in, some top tier talent (ie. Votto, Fielder, etc) and I think it's the only way you win the AL East, but absent that possibility I can't see why you'd want to take away playing time from young talent and give it to these guys who are a season away from retirement.

The idea is that they're gonna take away at bats or roster spots from guys like Davis and Francisco guys that don't have a future with this team either not guys like Snider or Thames who may have a future with this team. Vlad and Magglio do have the potential to provide an impact bat, just look how important Allen Craig was to the Cards last year, that's the type of role you hope to get out of Vlad and Magglio.

Bombtista
02-29-2012, 05:31 PM
^ Johnny Damon had a pretty good season last year helping the Rays into the playoffs.

phillipmike
02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I would prefer Mags out of him and Vladdy. Only thing is AA said yesterday that he is not adding a major league contract to the team. He will only add someone on a minor league contract. So if we sign anyone of them then they will have to agree to a minor league deal which is not out of the question.

mtf
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
The idea is that they're gonna take away at bats or roster spots from guys like Davis and Francisco guys that don't have a future with this team either not guys like Snider or Thames who may have a future with this team. Vlad and Magglio do have the potential to provide an impact bat, just look how important Allen Craig was to the Cards last year, that's the type of role you hope to get out of Vlad and Magglio.

Allen Craig is 27 years old. His glory days were not in his rear view mirror going into 2011. As for taking time away from Rajai Davis or Ben Francisco, what's the point? Davis is there for a pinch runner, and Francisco is just a bench warmer (and I wasn't in favor of his insignificant acquisition either).

^ Johnny Damon had a pretty good season last year helping the Rays into the playoffs.

Yeah, he did have an okay season. My point was that these types of players are best suited to sign with contenders, and that's what Tampa Bay was/is. The Blue Jays are not a true contender, Alex Anthopoulos has implied as much with his declaration that he won't make the Prince Fielder-esque acquisitions because that's only viable when you're already a contender. So, as a team that's unwilling to do the big things to contend right now, why do the small short-term things that contenders do that adds no tangible value beyond the current season?

Krylian
02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
no.

craigerlee
02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Allen Craig is 27 years old. His glory days were not in his rear view mirror going into 2011. As for taking time away from Rajai Davis or Ben Francisco, what's the point? Davis is there for a pinch runner, and Francisco is just a bench warmer (and I wasn't in favor of his insignificant acquisition either).

You missed the point completely, the point was these guys can come off the bench and have no position and if they can hit they can be valuable just like Allen Craig was. Francisco is gonna get tons of at bats against lefties in favour of Lind, Thames and Snider, so he's not a bench warmer.

mtf
02-29-2012, 07:05 PM
You missed the point completely, the point was these guys can come off the bench and have no position and if they can hit they can be valuable just like Allen Craig was. Francisco is gonna get tons of at bats against lefties in favour of Lind, Thames and Snider, so he's not a bench warmer.

I think you're missing my point though, to be fair. The point was: who cares? The management have essentially spread the message that they are taking the long view (as they see it) and not committing to winning now, as such what's the point of bringing in a guy like Vlad (who has no long-term value) in a year where they are not going to win.

craigerlee
02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I think you're missing my point though, to be fair. The point was: who cares? The management have essentially spread the message that they are taking the long view (as they see it) and not committing to winning now, as such what's the point of bringing in a guy like Vlad (who has no long-term value) in a year where they are not going to win.

What's the harm in it if it takes away at bats from Ben Francisco? Just cause we didn't go for it this offseason by going after 100M free agents doesn't mean we shouldn't put our best foot forward with smaller win now moves that don't hurt long term development. There's 2 wild cards out there now so I don't see the harm in trying to make this team a little better and competing into August. Not to mention as a fan I'd rather see Magglio or Vlad come up against lefties then Ben Francisco regardless of whether they're past their primes.

mtf
02-29-2012, 07:21 PM
What's the harm in it if it takes away at bats from Ben Francisco?

I guess I would answer that question with a question (and we really are going around in circles on this, asking each other our one question back and forth), but instead of "what's the harm?" I'd ask "what's the point?".

Last year, Baltimore was starting the season on a high after finishing out the 2010 campaign on a high with what I believe was the best record in the American League within the time span of their new Manager (Buck Showalter) taking over the position. They went out and picked up Vladamir Guerrero and what net gain did that get them? Now I'm not proposing that it was a disaster by any means, but it simply doesn't serve a purpose unless you feel that he is a solid depth guy on a true contender as he was in Texas in 2010.

craigerlee
02-29-2012, 07:27 PM
I guess I would answer that question with a question (and we really are going around in circles on this, asking each other our one question back and forth), but instead of "what's the harm?" I'd ask "what's the point?".

Last year, Baltimore was starting the season on a high after finishing out the 2010 campaign on a high with what I believe was the best record in the American League within the time span of their new Manager (Buck Showalter) taking over the position. They went out and picked up Vladamir Guerrero and what net gain did that get them? Now I'm not proposing that it was a disaster by any means, but it simply doesn't serve a purpose unless you feel that he is a solid depth guy on a true contender as he was in Texas in 2010.

2012 Blue Jays /= 2011 Orioles. Obviously Vlad or Magglio aren't gonna make a difference if our entire pitching staff pitch like the Baltimore Orioles pitched in 2011. My point is if Vlad and Magglio can crush lefties, which is the reason you'd bring them in, then there is a point as it would make our offense better. If you think this team is gonna be as good as the Baltimore Orioles then sure they make zero sense, but I don't believe that, I believe this is a mid to high 80 win team with a potential for 90 if things break right and that probably gets you pretty close to one of those wild cards.

Big Hurt
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Rubbing shoulders even in spring training with a classy ALL Time Great player like Vlad would do nothing but good for the younger hitters.

Let me tell you I would be fighting to sit beside him at meals, watch him take BP, pick his brain.
Snider, Thames, Rasmus, Lawrie and even Lind could use the experience of a Vlad around the hitting cage.

Krylian
02-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Rubbing shoulders even in spring training with a classy ALL Time Great player like Vlad would do nothing but good for the younger hitters.

Let me tell you I would be fighting to sit beside him at meals, watch him take BP, pick his brain.
Snider, Thames, Rasmus, Lawrie and even Lind could use the experience of a Vlad around the hitting cage.

Bring him in as a hitting instructor then.

Nofear
02-29-2012, 07:44 PM

The point really is that its better to trot out Vlad later in a game than the other options. Its also better to have a vet DH and put the ball in play than have some light hitter or rookie hack away.

To me this is always going to be an argument when you talking a vet bench player. I look at it like someone like Vlad is capable of putting up some magic and having a few stellar games and making a difference where as Francisco isn't going to change any games. Your basically asking whats better over the hill talent versus no talent. In that case take the proven talent as they always seem to recapture some glory for a few games.

Also, do you want Vlad rooming around the cage and talking baseball with this younger team or do you want Francisco talking to the rookies? Pretty easy choice when you think of having potential HOF'ers walking around which can't be a bad thing around younger hitters.

If your not blocking anyone, then get the HOF'er guy even just to rub shoulders. Look no further than Vizquel getting picked up when they could of had 500 other guys that could do the same job. The team went with the proven clubhouse guy who has some stories to tell to the kids. He's got no bat and his glove is going south but they made the correct choice.

The position you take is not logical. You should be up in arms that they went with Vizquel instead of say McCoy'ish types.

For the record, I don't want Vlad or Mag or the guys listed here because I don't think any of these guys are far enough past their prime to accept the role like Vizquel will. Vlad seems to think he's got something left and might want more AB's than what the jays should give him therefor I don't support him but still the point is made, HOF'ers should have a place if they block no one.

Nofear
02-29-2012, 07:46 PM

do they take BP or sit on the bench to answer questions during the game?

2009mvp
02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Who wants to be taking advice from Vlad? Special talent, poor approach.

wamco
02-29-2012, 10:08 PM
vlad is done unfortunately.

I think he makes HOF though.

JermanJaysFan
03-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Who wants to be taking advice from Vlad? Special talent, poor approach.
Haha yeah, his only advice would be along the lines of "Be born an insanely talented and gifted athlete".

'94 Expos
03-01-2012, 01:27 AM
For selfish reasons I would love to see Vlad in a Jays uniform. He was one of my all time favourite players and the best 'bad ball' hitter of all time. I still recall him swinging at a curve ball that was basically a wild pitch 2 feet off the plate and about to hit the ground.......for a line drive opposite field double! I don't think I want Vlad as a hitting instructor though.

But as the roster is currently contructed I don't see a place for him on this team. There aren't enough at bats to go around. If a trade occurred that opened a hole for Vlad to fill I would sign him. I still think he can be productive.

AA09-?
03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Vlad would be a decent pickup, who may have something left in the tank.

wamco
03-01-2012, 10:22 PM
based on?

The_Jet11
03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I want to see Snider and Thames come north. Snider in LF, Thames as part time DH, occasional LF, Davis as our designated runner.

Francisco can be organizational depth in AAA, or dealt for a jock strap..

SS - Escobar (R)
2B - Johnson (L)
RF - Bautista (R)
1B - Lind (L)
3B - Lawrie (R)
CF - Rasmus (L)
DH - Encarnacion/Thames (R/L)
LF - Snider (L)
C - Arencibia (R)

Bench

OF Thames OR 1B/3B Encarnacion (L/R)
OF Davis (R)
SS/2B Visquel (R)
C Mathis (R)

bljay29
03-01-2012, 11:08 PM
i just don't see a fit for vlad or maggs, and i don't ever want to see damon in a jays uniform..

Halladay
03-01-2012, 11:45 PM

He doesn't even speak English lol

wamco
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM
and has an awful approach

Halladay
03-02-2012, 02:39 AM
and has an awful approach

The blindfolded approach isn't a good method to teach hitters?

Heediot
03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
do they take BP or sit on the bench to answer questions during the game?

Mark Mcgwire does.

wagnall
03-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I want to see Snider and Thames come north. Snider in LF, Thames as part time DH, occasional LF, Davis as our designated runner.

Francisco can be organizational depth in AAA, or dealt for a jock strap..

SS - Escobar (R)
2B - Johnson (L)
RF - Bautista (R)
1B - Lind (L)
3B - Lawrie (R)
CF - Rasmus (L)
DH - Encarnacion/Thames (R/L)
LF - Snider (L)
C - Arencibia (R)

Bench

OF Thames OR 1B/3B Encarnacion (L/R)
OF Davis (R)
SS/2B Visquel (R)
C Mathis (R)

That pretty well looks like our team, unless someone comes out of no where, however I would like to see what Thames has to offer in the 4 spot now and then! :)

wamco
03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
then have andruw jones as a hitting instructor as well if you want to ruin a player.