PDA

View Full Version : Nikola Pekovic Deserves Some Hype

Corey
02-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Over his last 10 games, Pek is averaging 17 points per game, 10.3 rebounds. In these 10 games, his TS% is 81%, and his eFG% is 75%.

On the season, Pek is posting an absurd 62.4 True Shooting Percentage.

His PER for the year is 22.4

The Wolves are 13 points per 100 possessions better with Pek on the floor than they are with Darko on the floor.

This guy is getting absolutely no hype outside of T'Wolves-land, and he deserves it.

Gators123
02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
peksanity!

MJ-BULLS
02-27-2012, 11:46 PM
its because that you know who plays for that big city. pek plays for min.

Becks2307
02-27-2012, 11:48 PM
the only reason he hasn't been getting is press is

1) big man, not as exciting as smaller guards

2) idk what minnesota's record has been over the time, but haven't they been like .500

Corey
02-27-2012, 11:48 PM
its because that you know who plays for that big city. pek plays for min.

Oh I know.

But look at the stats, the dude is a robot.

80% TS% the last 10 games? That's freaking insane.

BigBlueCrew
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM
did you tell ESPN your gripe?

KingPosey
02-27-2012, 11:58 PM
You just delete posts that you dont like Corey?

But he has been pretty awesome, I didnt know that awesome. Between Lin, and even having Love and Rubio on your own team, someone is getting overlooked.

ManRam
preach!

small markets: no care.

big market: we'll beat the horse to death than beat it a little bit more.

he's been unreal. no way the casual fan even knows about him.

Avenged
That's just how good Rubio is! :p

Benefiting playing w/ a good PG!

BigBlueCrew
02-28-2012, 12:00 AM
preach!

small markets: no care.

big market: we'll beat the horse to death than beat it a little bit more.

he's been unreal. no way the casual fan even knows about him.

you keep acting as though this is a battle between small market vs big market

what so great about Nikola Pekovic???

and please dont regurgitate stats, I can do that on my own I have a computer for that.

fadedmario
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Guards always get the love. Plus the one getting the most hype happens to be chinese playing in NY.

You're right though.

DaoudS
02-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Taylor Swift makes a good argument. The dude is built like a bull. I also like the changing of the image that European players are soft and weak defensively.

John Walls Era
02-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Make the playoffs and give everyone the chance to acknowledge him. You don't expect people to just click on the T-Wolves Boxscore for no reason.

PAOboston
02-28-2012, 12:05 AM
i'm soooo happy pek has been playing so well. i loved the dude when he was leading panathinaikos to greek/euro league titles. guy's built like a tank and passionate as heck.

keep up the great play big guy!

Young2Kinsler
02-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Make the playoffs and give everyone the chance to acknowledge him. You don't expect people to just click on the T-Wolves Boxscore for no reason.

I guess that rule doesn't apply to everyone huh? Heaven forbid all these dumb *** east coast biased yankees pay attention to anything west of Pittsburgh.

pd7631
02-28-2012, 12:10 AM
But.....he's so weird looking

FlakeyFool
02-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Taylor Swift makes a good argument. The dude is built like a bull. I also like the changing of the image that European players are soft and weak defensively.

But then you watch Pau Gasol and go oh..

Hellcrooner
02-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Well.....defiently he is not getting the love.
Probably because of not plaing for a team in New York.

There are Many other considerations to why this happens but they are completely imposible to express withouth creating a HUGHE MESS because of ill advised ( and WRONG) interpretations of the content and context of those reasons.

redhorse
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
here we go again with small market teams crying that there players get no love. As usual small market fans overrate there players. Its easy to play good when nobody pays attention to u and nobody has any expectations. So be grateful this guy doesnt play in a big market where everything u do is dissected. He probably wouldnt do well.

ManRam
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM

and please dont regurgitate stats, I can do that on my own I have a computer for that.

Umm...what's great about him? Well, it's that he's playing great.
OK...you hate stats, so I won't regurgitate them. I will say this: Statistically, he's been better than Lin this year...at the worst, just as good. Lin gets more coverage on a given day than the entire sport of college basketball, Pek gets mentioned maybe 3-4 times a day...

The storylines might not be the same, but still, he's an unknown, and he shouldn't be.

I'm not trying to hype this "battle"...but it's pretty obvious that certain players get far more hype than others due to the team they play on and the market they're in. If he's in a huge market, the world knows about him. He could even have developed a cult following...like a certain someone else.

KingPosey
02-28-2012, 12:16 AM
The last 2 games he has been AWFUL from the floor, he really has a tS% of 81% his last 10 games despite that?

BigBlueCrew
02-28-2012, 12:22 AM
OK...you hate stats, so I won't regurgitate them. I will say this: Statistically, he's been better than Lin this year...at the worst, just as good. Lin gets more coverage on a given day than the entire sport of college basketball, Pek gets mentioned maybe 3-4 times a day...

The storylines might not be the same, but still, he's an unknown, and he shouldn't be.

I'm not trying to hype this "battle"...but it's pretty obvious that certain players get far more hype than others due to the team they play on and the market they're in. If he's in a huge market, the world knows about him. He could even have developed a cult following...like a certain someone else.

I don't HATE stats. I love em. But I don't need to watch ESPN for them and I dont think anyone else here needs to either.

He's an unknown??? He was drafted with the 1st pick in the 2nd round of the 08 draft, someone knew him.

Does he have better stats than Lin, yeah I'll concede that. He's also played twice as many minutes as Lin.

IndiansFan337
02-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Kevin Love was on the BS Report podcast with Bill Simmons at All-Star weekend on Thursday or Friday last week and he said Pekovic should have been added to the Rising Stars game when Lin was added.

ManRam
02-28-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't HATE stats. I love em. But I don't need to watch ESPN for them and I dont think anyone else here needs to either.

He's an unknown??? He was drafted with the 1st pick in the 2nd round of the 08 draft, someone knew him.

Does he have better stats than Lin, yeah I'll concede that. He's also played twice as many minutes as Lin.

I don't get your argument in the first paragraph...

He's unknown to the casual fan, of course he is. I barely knew who he was coming into this season (I did know him, but never could have imagined he'd be this good). I'm sure I could walk out on the streets of Pittsburgh right now and it would take me a while to find someone who knew him...

Sure, he's played more minutes (that's not a knock, he's deserved them), but his per 36 stats and his advanced stats (not minute-oriented) are still at a level worthy of some attention outside of Minnesota. Good enough to deserve some "mania" or "-sanity"

Gram
02-28-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm Pekcited to see him play!

tredigs
02-28-2012, 12:28 AM
I like how we're trying to pretend that he has even 1/10th the media potential/story that Lin does, despite the fact that yes, he has been great for Minny in taking over for Darko's sorry minutes this season.

Hate ESPN/global media all you want, but they know what sells. And it's definitely not Pekovic. If you're concerned about who's getting "hyped" and caught up in that BS, then you're in a lose lose situation to begin with.

meloman1592
02-28-2012, 12:30 AM
He didn't really make the wolves relevant like Lin did with the Knicks

Spiggity_ace
02-28-2012, 12:31 AM
i think hes a great player

naps
the only reason he hasn't been getting is press is

1) big man, not as exciting as smaller guards

2) idk what minnesota's record has been over the time, but haven't they been like .500

You can't be serious. The one and only reason is he doesn't play for NY/LA/Chi. If he was in one of those cities he would be discussed more than Lin. Not to mention bigmen are a rare commudity in todays league.

John Walls Era
I like how we're trying to pretend that he has even 1/10th the media potential/story that Lin does, despite the fact that yes, he has been great for Minny in taking over for Darko's sorry minutes this season.

Hate ESPN/global media all you want, but they know what sells. And it's definitely not Pekovic. If you're concerned about who's getting "hyped" and caught up in that BS, then you're in a lose lose situation to begin with.

They claim the hate the Linsanity hype, but then they go and talk about how some other player deserves the hype.

PurpleJesus
02-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Kevin Love was on the BS Report podcast with Bill Simmons at All-Star weekend on Thursday or Friday last week and he said Pekovic should have been added to the Rising Stars game when Lin was added.

Pek has been crazy good since taking the starting job, but Pek is 26...I can see the reason he wasnt added to the Rising Stars game.

But while I was watching how small some of the players were, I thought of how much Pek would own them.

ManRam

Oh, definitely. I don't really ever bash ESPN except for when they're being intellectually dishonest or something. It's a business. They cater to the masses. Pek is not something the masses want catered to them. Where he plays is a factor, among other things. But I can't get mad at ESPN for that. It just sucks for the guy...you know what I mean?

John Walls Era
You can't be serious. The one and only reason is he doesn't play for NY/LA/Chi. If he was in one of those cities he would be discussed more than Lin. Not to mention bigmen are a rare quantity in todays league.

Hes not better than any C that those teams don't already have.

tredigs
02-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Oh, definitely. I don't really ever bash ESPN except for when they're being intellectually dishonest or something. It's a business. They cater to the masses. Pek is not something the masses want catered to them. Where he plays is a factor, among other things. But I can't get mad at ESPN for that. It just sucks for the guy...you know what I mean?

Sucks for Pek? I don't know dude, I can't speak for him but I know for a fact I would be devastated if the every move of both me and my family were now on absolute BLAST throughout the entire world. That sounds like a ****ing nightmare to me. I'll take being the unassuming millionaire living out my dream on a young up 'n coming NBA team over media play toy any day.

And it's not just ESPN or anyone else who is making that the predominant headliner. Objectively, it is just a much more unprecedented/impressive story. Also, NY is desperate for basketball relevance in that media capital. And they will obviously go to no ends to sell that story.

ESaady
02-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Pek is my boi. He's legit. He's become one of my favorite players. It might be because he's on my fantasy team..hmm

ManRam
02-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Sucks for Pek? I don't know dude, I can't speak for him but I know for a fact I would be devastated if the every move of both me and my family were now on absolute BLAST throughout the entire world. That sounds like a ****ing nightmare to me. I'll take being the unassuming millionaire living out my dream on a young up 'n coming NBA team over media play toy any day.

And it's not just ESPN or anyone else who is making that the predominant headliner. Objectively, it is just a much more unprecedented/impressive story.

I don't disagree with the last paragraph, never said I did...and I don't feel bad for him...

He's just been good, and a lot of the world is unaware. Oh well...life goes on.

Corey
02-28-2012, 12:42 AM
You just delete posts that you dont like Corey?

But he has been pretty awesome, I didnt know that awesome. Between Lin, and even having Love and Rubio on your own team, someone is getting overlooked.

Nope, I delete posts that will cause a **** storm between fan bases.

tredigs
02-28-2012, 12:48 AM
I don't disagree with the last paragraph, never said I did...and I don't feel bad for him...

He's just been good, and a lot of the world is unaware. Oh well...life goes on.

I hear ya. Well, if he keeps it up for more than a month than they will eventually catch on. it's not as if the guy has been at it for years. He doesn't have any "wow" factor to his story/game, so he'll have to catch on a little more organically.

Makes the Wolves that much more fun though; If Derrick Williams steps it up and pans out they'll be scary next year.

NYsFinest
02-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Seriously why are people shocked that NY gets more attention that Minnesota.....

29$JerZ
02-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Small Market Curse
If he did that in NY or LA you'd see him on ESPN every day

Minny got quite the steal with him
No more relying on Darko to be your only Center
I wonder how long he can keep this up?

GrandDaddyPurp
02-28-2012, 01:05 AM
I don't understand why Jeremy Lin shouldn't be brought into this conversation when the thread title clearly implies that Peckvocic SHOULD be getting all the hype instead of Jeremy Lin. That's just calling for comparison amongst the two.

But whatever, I could honestly care less about either team and how well they do this year. Making the playoffs would be a great accomplishment for both sides or I guess at least winning a playoff game. That would be all.

PatsSoxKnicks
02-28-2012, 01:07 AM

If Pekovic and Lin switched places, Pekovic would not be as big of a story. You're a smart guy so I'm sure you'll be able to figure out why. There's quite a few different reasons.

And while I think being in NY has certainly magnified Lin's story, the simple fact is that even if he were in another city and that team went on a tear after he was inserted into the lineup and everything else he's done happened, I think it'd still be a big deal. I mean unless you can name another undrafted Asian-American guy who came out of Harvard to put up sexy numbers (there's 3 different long shot odds alone in that 1 sentence, never mind putting it together).

Also, it depends which stats you look at. Most of the more popular advanced stats do show that Pekovic has been slightly better. However, WS and PER aren't the only stats out there. For example, RAPM favors Lin.

Don't get me wrong though, Pekovic deserves some recognition. He's been great for the T-Wolves. Hollinger wrote a piece on him earlier that I read so I was aware of his play a little while back.

Also I'm not saying that being in NY hasn't helped the Linsanity but it's still a bigger underdog story no matter how you look at it and they're performing relatively similar based on production.

PS- Pekovic is actually the biggest competition for Lin for MIP. He's actually improved too, unlike a lot of the players who get the awards because they are given extra minutes.

It seems that he disappointed a bit in his rookie season but has made up for it this year. This is his scouting report from Basketball Prospectus before the year:

While Nikola Pekovic wasn’t exactly a household name before coming to the NBA, international fans were excited about his prospects to help the Timberwolves based on his impressive Euroleague track record. His translated numbers suggested Pekovic would be a league-average player right away. Based on those expectations, his rookie season was a disappointment.

As advertised, Pekovic was a high-percentage shooter. He does a good job of creating space around the basket to produce good looks in the paint. His problem was about everything else. Scouting reports suggested that Pekovic would have a tough time defending NBA athletes, and that proved the case. He’s stone-footed defensively and got beaten regularly by quicker players. It doesn’t help that Pekovic is poor on the defensive glass because of his inability to rebound out of his area. The biggest surprise was how frequently Pekovic turned the ball over, which was not a major issue in Europe. According to 82games.com, he committed 32 offensive fouls in 887 minutes--one every other game.

The good news for Pekovic is that European players often are much more successful in their second seasons
as they adjust to the NBA style of play. The bad news is he faces a lot more competition for playing time in
the frontcourt. Pekovic returned to his old Serbian club, Partizan Belgrade, during the lockout. The stint was
noteworthy mostly for the fact that Pekovic threw up on the scorer’s table in the middle of a game.

Not sure how his defense has been this year but I do believe he's cut down on his turnovers.

blom85
02-28-2012, 01:27 AM
The last 2 games he has been AWFUL from the floor, he really has a tS% of 81% his last 10 games despite that?

He sprained his ankle but still plays on it, should be back to normal this week.

tredigs
02-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Knicks fans got ya on this one Corey.

Sportfan
02-28-2012, 01:34 AM
pek has been talked about on psd for a couple weeks now

Ragun
02-28-2012, 01:50 AM
i remember during the summer of 2010, he totally abused Bargnani during some games in Europe. like he manhandled Bargnani. bargnani is an improved player now of course but Pek is still a beast!

blom85
02-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Hes not better than any C that those teams don't already have.

:speechless:

OMG I hope you are just naive and not that stupid...

Only Centers that I would maybe take over him are

1.) Howard (No question most dominate C, can take over any game)
2.) M. Gasol (Most complete game at his position)
3.) Bynum (Good, but durabilty a question)
4.) Hibbert (Bright future A)
5.) Monroe (Bright future B)
6.) Cousins (Bright future C)
7.) Jefferson (Good, has ankle problems though)
8.) Gortat (Does not get the respect he deserves)

People will argue and say Bargnani, Bogut, Hawes are better which I don't think so but even so that still leaves 18 other Centers that Pekovic is better than.

Becks2307
02-28-2012, 01:55 AM

People will argue and say Bargnani, Bogut, Hawes are better which I don't think so but even so that still leaves 18 other Centers that Pekovic is better than.

TOTALLY not being a homer, but he is not better than tyson

Young2Kinsler
02-28-2012, 01:57 AM
He didn't really make the wolves relevant like Lin did with the Knicks

That's the point of the thread. Despite him putting up just as dominant of numbers, if not better, he still gets no love. And how has he not helped make the Wolves relevant? The Wolves have a better record, and are one game out of the playoffs, in a MUCH tougher conference. The Knicks are below .500 and barely hanging onto a playoff spot in the east.

John Walls Era
02-28-2012, 01:58 AM

Yes I want a guy whose been great in a short stretch over Noah, Bynum and Chandler (2 champions, 1 whos the anchor for one of the best defensive teams in the last 2 seasons)? The other guys you listed had nothing to do with the post I was replying to.

MJ-BULLS
02-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Oh I know.

But look at the stats, the dude is a robot.

80% TS% the last 10 games? That's freaking insane.

yep, that is ridiculousness. if he was on a big market team he would been getting way more recognition threw out the nba. He needs to start getting some.

blom85
02-28-2012, 02:05 AM

lol, really? Shall we go back and check the box score on Febuary 11th when they played each other??

Chandler - 37 min, 12 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block

Pekovic - 29 min, 21 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block

Corey
02-28-2012, 02:05 AM
yep, that is ridiculousness. if he was on a big market team he would been getting way more recognition threw out the nba. He needs to start getting some.

For sure, I agree.

17/11 is good for any big guy for a 10 game stretch. Pek came out of nowhere and he's been a monster.

When he signed, quite a few people thought they overpaid for him since he was unproven in the NBA. He has full time starter written all over him now.

MJ-BULLS
02-28-2012, 02:07 AM
For sure, I agree.

17/11 is good for any big guy for a 10 game stretch. Pek came out of nowhere and he's been a monster.

When he signed, quite a few people thought they overpaid for him since he was unproven in the NBA. He has full time starter written all over him now.

How long is his contract? The value of big men in the league is very valuable considering there isn't really that much great C's

smith&wesson
02-28-2012, 02:12 AM
those are very respectable numbers.. have to give credit where its due and its true he gets no love in the media at all. hardley even hear about him. would love to have a C like that on my team.

John Walls Era
02-28-2012, 02:16 AM
I think he deserves a lot of credit for what hes doing. I don't wish a lot of hype on any "new" player as they might not handle it well. If the Wolves can make the playoffs, people will know who he is.

Cfrey
02-28-2012, 02:19 AM
i remember making a thread about pek and corey deleted it?? lol and now he makes a thread?? weird isn't it..

Corey
02-28-2012, 02:28 AM
i remember making a thread about pek and corey deleted it?? lol and now he makes a thread?? weird isn't it..

1) I closed it, I didn't delete it.

2) The thread was titled "Is Pekovic a top 5 center"

3) It belonged in comparisons, which I believe I told you.

4) You posted in the thread that you were "just ****ing with us all" and you "knew he wasn't top 5".

Corey
02-28-2012, 02:38 AM
How long is his contract? The value of big men in the league is very valuable considering there isn't really that much great C's

He makes 4.8 next season, then he's a FA.

He'll be 27 going on 28, perfect age for a long term contract from someone that desperately needs a big man.

Hellcrooner
02-28-2012, 04:23 AM
he is a max contract waiting to happen from here into 15 months.

thechom80
02-28-2012, 04:44 AM

Hahahaha. That's funny.

thechom80
02-28-2012, 04:50 AM
I advise you all to watch Pek play. You'll fall in love with his game. He doesn't need hype, he just needs the respect he deserves. Dude is a MONSTER!! Hide your kids, though. He eats them for breakfast.

alencp3
02-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Called it 2 years ago

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
I am hoping the low hype level plays a factor in his extension, though a center with a pulse now commands nearly $10 million a year.

Greet
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
I am hoping the low hype level plays a factor in his extension, though a center with a pulse now commands nearly $10 million a year.

I wonder what Lopez is going to get :/

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Unfortunately, the Wolves play in a conference where you actually need to be above .500, unlike the east.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
I could care less if Pekovic gets any hype at all. As long as he keeps pushing opposing centers so far under the rim they have no chance at stopping him from scoring, and continues rebounding and not letting anyone establish deep post position, you can have your Jeremy Lin's. I take the guy who gets layups all night.

iliketurtles24
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
I could care less if Pekovic gets any hype at all. As long as he keeps pushing opposing centers so far under the rim they have no chance at stopping him from scoring, and continues rebounding and not letting anyone establish deep post position, you can have your Jeremy Lin's. I take the guy who gets layups all night.

couldn't have said it better

Greet
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM

*cough* homer *cough*

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 10:33 AM
*cough* homer *cough*

I mean, his game is as simple as it gets. Establish position 1 foot from the rim, make the catch, lay it in. Nobody is big enough for the most part to stop him from doing this. He sets massive picks, rolls, Rubio finds him, layup. Super easy.

Corey
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
I mean, his game is as simple as it gets. Establish position 1 foot from the rim, make the catch, lay it in. Nobody is big enough for the most part to stop him from doing this. He sets massive picks, rolls, Rubio finds him, layup. Super easy.

That's what I want out of a center, to be honest.

Celtics are going to have a lot of money to spend in the next two offseasons ;)

Greet
02-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Until the smart people figure out how to stop him. Then his one skill is kind of useless.

Hellcrooner
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
That's what I want out of a center, to be honest.

Celtics are going to have a lot of money to spend in the next two offseasons ;)

Unless they are really doing the rondo for Gasol Thing......... gues they woudl need to flip one of the expirings for a replacement pg too.

anyway back on topic i dont expect pekovic ( if mantains his level) to get less than 12 million a year.

Celticsfan2007
02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Until the smart people figure out how to stop him. Then his one skill is kind of useless.

Smart people in basketball? What sport are you watching again?? :p

Becks2307
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM

Wait shouldn't this be deleted because as Corey said we ARENT talking about Jeremy Lin?

I don't get why you want media hype for your player, wouldn't u rather hang under the radar?

Why is everyone in this thread so angry lol. Yes Pekovic is a good player on a great run, idk why you want hype, its not good.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 12:35 PM

being bigger and stronger never becomes useless dude. Neither does hyper efficiency, soft touch, and the ability to draw fouls. Pekovic is starting to see double teams, so Adelman simply pulled the ball out of his hands up high, and uses him to initiate the PnR, and puts Love on that side of the floor.

Option A- Send help to stop an easy pass to a rolling Pekovic, leaving Love alone at the 3 point line

Option B- Stay at home on Love and attempt to have the defense shift to send help at Pek, forcing either Rubio to make a move to the rim or throw a skip pass to a shooter (This is by far the best option with the garbage the Wolves have on the wings)

Option C- let Pek's man deal with him 1-1, at which point he will bury the man, get a deep catch, and be right at the rim for an and-1.

If the Wolves can seriously get a couple of guys who can hit long distance shots, the Wolves will be very tough to defend with Pek/Love/Rubio on the floor.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Wait shouldn't this be deleted because as Corey said we ARENT talking about Jeremy Lin?

I don't get why you want media hype for your player, wouldn't u rather hang under the radar?

Why is everyone in this thread so angry lol. Yes Pekovic is a good player on a great run, idk why you want hype, its not good.

Exactly dude. I don't care if he is getting hype, and I prefer it not to happen quite honestly. I think the thread was started to simply show that its amazing what a simple market change can do for 2 guys basically doing the same thing.

Celticsfan2007
02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
If the Wolves can seriously get a couple of guys who can hit long distance shots, the Wolves will be very tough to defend with Pek/Love/Rubio on the floor.

I'm down.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=83g6t4z

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm down.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=83g6t4z

I can get theChive at my work, but they block the espn trade machine...

What is your trade?

Becks2307
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Exactly dude. I don't care if he is getting hype, and I prefer it not to happen quite honestly. I think the thread was started to simply show that its amazing what a simple market change can do for 2 guys basically doing the same thing.

This is what I don't get, THEY ARENT DOING THE SAME THING.

Lin was cut twice in the same season and was sleeping on the couch.
Lin went to Harvard, any other school and it would not have been as much as a deal.

Media loves flashy PGs over banger centers. Its not like Pek was dunking over everyone like Dwight, he has amazing touch but that doesn't make highlights like dwight does.

Lin is ASIAN AMERICAN and the first one EVER to be doing what he is doing.
PEk is another european center, we have had tons

Lin played 7 games with 4-5 minimum players (Jefferies, Walker, Fields, Novak= ewww) and lead them to 7-0 while smashing NBA records held by all time greats.

Pek put up really great numbers but nothing that hasn't been done before. Its not like Pek was putting up 28 and 10. If Love Rubio and Williams were down and Pek lead Minnesota to 7-0 with the bums then I would see your point.

Do i think Lin is better than Pek? IDK and i really dont care, they are probably on the same level as each other imo.

Fact is, if you switch Lin and Pek, Lin still gets more hype, considerably more hype. This is nothing to do with location. Tell me PEk in nyc gets more hype if we go back in time...

I think Pek is a beast, i don't get how you guys can say its the same story however.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Lin went to Harvard, any other school and it would not have been as much as a deal.

Media loves flashy PGs over banger centers. Its not like Pek was dunking over everyone like Dwight, he has amazing touch but that doesn't make highlights like dwight does.

Lin played 7 games with 4-5 minimum players (Jefferies, Walker, Fields, Novak= ewww) and lead them to 7-0 while smashing NBA records held by all time greats.

Pek put up really great numbers but nothing that hasn't been done before. Its not like Pek was putting up 28 and 10. If Love Rubio and Williams were down and Pek lead Minnesota to 7-0 with the bums then I would see your point.

Do i think Lin is better than Pek? IDK and i really dont care, they are probably on the same level as each other imo.

Fact is, if you switch Lin and Pek, Lin still gets more hype, considerably more hype. This is nothing to do with location. Tell me PEk in nyc gets more hype if we go back in time...

I think Pek is a beast, i don't get how you guys can say its the same story however.

Its not the same story at all. But the story is not playing basketball.

Fact is, 2 players who were not contributors to their situations before, are now playing like all stars.

I could care less to argue the hype, that is for mindless reporters and fans.

BigBlueCrew
02-28-2012, 01:00 PM

this is an 'I hate New York' thread masquerading as 'Lets give Nikola Pekovic love' thread

Like I said earlier and like you just reiterated Pekovic isnt doing anything that hasnt been done before. Is he doing well, sure. But hype worthy gimme a break.

WSU Tony
02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
They claim the hate the Linsanity hype, but then they go and talk about how some other player deserves the hype.

Didn't I post something two weeks ago about your hate for the Wolves?

Case and point: here it is again.

Pek has been better than Lin. Period. So why does Lin get the hype and media time? There are more NYK fans than Wolves fans. Hence, ESPN knows they will get more viewers hyping him up than they would hyping Pek up. This is the same battle Griffin had with Love a year or two ago. ESPN adopted Griffin because he's in a bigger market, not because he's a better player.

As far as the winning and losing aspect of your comments, Lin has Amare, Melo, Chandler, Bibby, Davis, Fields, and Jordan. The Wolves have Love and Rubio. Seriously, they might have one or two average NBA players.

WSU Tony
02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Am I the only one starting to root against Lin because of this over hype? I can't imagine I am.

BigBlueCrew
02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Am I the only one starting to root against Lin because of this over hype? I can't imagine I am.

I imagine you guys started rooting against Lin the minute his butt came off the bench...

FarOutIos
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I think with a player like Pek... he doesn't appear to have a high ceiling. He is a player that would be considered solid more than a star.

Lin has the potential to be a star. He is a couple of years younger. He is much more athletic.

Also, Lin began playing well with 2 of NY best players out. And they were winning. This would be similar to Love and Rubio missing games, but Pek still leading the Wolves to victory.

IF that were to happen, it would be a similar story. But I doubt Pek would lead them to victory.

Pek seems like he is a good player who is benefiting from a great passing PG and an all star in Love who opens up the paint for him.

Weezy
02-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Pek has been better than Lin. Period. So why does Lin get the hype and media time? There are more NYK fans than Wolves fans. Hence, ESPN knows they will get more viewers hyping him up than they would hyping Pek up. This is the same battle Griffin had with Love a year or two ago. ESPN adopted Griffin because he's in a bigger market, not because he's a better player.

As far as the winning and losing aspect of your comments, Lin has Amare, Melo, Chandler, Bibby, Davis, Fields, and Jordan. The Wolves have Love and Rubio. Seriously, they might have one or two average NBA players.

Err... Stat, Melo, Davis were all injured. And we got JR recently. I am not even sure why you even included Bibby and Jordan.

Anyways, Pekovic is a beast. When we played NYK, he played very well vs Tyson. You can make this same argument about Tyson Chandler... he has been our best player this year but no one really talks about him because of Linsanity overshadowing it. It happens, just the media trying to get their money and that's it.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM

I don't think you need to root against him because the media sucks. Its still a great story. It will die down the more games he gets under his belt anyways.

thekmp211
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
he has stayed out of foul trouble and that helps. but his rugged game is really polished. plays inside like a real old fashioned center and his game works with kevin loves perfectly.

lilchuckdoubles
02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=83g6t4z[/QUOTE]

I like it. beas and johnson for ray allen

WSU Tony
02-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't think you need to root against him because the media sucks. Its still a great story. It will die down the more games he gets under his belt anyways.

More games will mean his numbers come back down to earth. That won't stop the media, though.

With the Knicks quite literally having everything going for them to build a championship team, why is it they always find a way to be mediocre? I seriously don't get that. It seems like they make the right moves and hire the right coaches but it just never works out.

Anyways, back to Pek?

ziglur
02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Nobody said he was great. But when a guy averages 17,10 for a while he does deserve some mention. Thats what the discussion is about. Dont recurgitate your sillyness.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Nobody said he was great. But when a guy averages 17,10 for a while he does deserve some mention. Thats what the discussion is about. Dont recurgitate your sillyness.

I might put that in my sig

BigBlueCrew
02-28-2012, 02:41 PM

why stop at nikola pekovic? lets make a thread/show for everyone averaging over 17,10 a game hmmmm?

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
why stop at nikola pekovic? lets make a thread/show for everyone averaging over 17,10 a game hmmmm?

wait, so you are fine with 35 threads about Lin over the past 3 weeks, but it annoys you that there is a thread for another leader for MIP?

BigBlueCrew
02-28-2012, 02:58 PM
wait, so you are fine with 35 threads about Lin over the past 3 weeks, but it annoys you that there is a thread for another leader for MIP?

hey its your dumb PSD rule about cutting it off after 1000 posts, not mine. If Lin doesn't get a single post I could care less and Im sure Jeremy Lin could care less either. You think he is getting paid from the "Linsanity" shirts and websites and all the other garbage.

It doesn't annoy me that your paying Pekovic any mind here. But dont make it out to be like he is being disregarded just because he is playing in Minnesota. That is just making a thread under false pretenses.

John Walls Era
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM

All hail Bibby, Jordan and Baron who finally came back... championship players!

And yes I really hate the Wolves :rolleyes: for some reason. Whats the reason? I don't know, but apparently I just do.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
hey its your dumb PSD rule about cutting it off after 1000 posts, not mine. If Lin doesn't get a single post I could care less and Im sure Jeremy Lin could care less either. You think he is getting paid from the "Linsanity" shirts and websites and all the other garbage.

It doesn't annoy me that your paying Pekovic any mind here. But dont make it out to be like he is being disregarded just because he is playing in Minnesota. That is just making a thread under false pretenses.

I am not referring to Lin part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... I am referring to the countless others. The rest of your first paragraph is irrelvent, only homer fans need vindication every time one of their teams players does something of note.

When did I make a claim that Pekovic was being disregarded? I have seen it on most sites, buried in an aritcle or what not. And I prefer his hype to remain very low. Works better in his next contract if he doesn't have the media raising his value.

False pretense? Nah. Simply pointing out that while Lin came out of nowhere, there is another guy out there that will push him for MIP who gets about 1/100th of the attention.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM

And yes I really hate the Wolves :rolleyes: for some reason. Whats the reason? I don't know, but apparently I just do.

wiat, you're a Wolves hater? Hmm

John Walls Era
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
wiat, you're a Wolves hater? Hmm

according to this Tony guy.

Cfrey
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Are you really saying Minnesota has nothing to do with Pekovic getting almost no attention at all??

you really are going to sit here and tell me that if Pek wasn't playing in a bigger market he would still be getting minimal to no attention??

lmao

Hawkeye15
02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
according to this Tony guy.

well, thats it. We aren't friends anymore. First you wouldn't agree with me that Rubio was the best PG on the planet, and now this.

WSU Tony
02-28-2012, 04:20 PM

You're just envious.

topdog
02-28-2012, 07:53 PM

What's so great about Pekovic? He posts really deep. He makes his free throws when he is fouled. He keeps the opposing big man out of the post. He runs the floor surprisingly well for someone as big and bullish as himself. And, he has improved drastically in all aspects since last year (better hands, better defense, less fouls and 3 second violations, ect).

Let's not pretend that because he was considered the best big in Europe and that he was the consensus 31st pick that that has meant anything to American fans.