PDA

View Full Version : Which D12/D8 destination is best for the NBA as a whole: Brooklyn or Dallas

Melo4MVP2012
02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
If deron and howard were to be on 1 team which destination would be best for the NBA as a whole from the viewer's perspective?

for me its the Nets for the simple fact that the East has been dominated by the west for the past 10 seasons, and the East rarely had "Elite" teams in it, now we have the Heat, and Knicks, i think a third "Elite" team in the east would be the best for the NBA fan

in the west, they already have 2 teams that are going to be going head to head in the future: OKC and LAC, and because the east has been so weak, i feel it best of both were to combine on an eastern conference team

netsgiantsyanks
02-27-2012, 08:18 PM
this isn't going to end well.

and i chose dallas for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

CarniifeX
02-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Brooklyn.

They need star players going into their new arena. It'll also intensify the Nets/Knicks rivalry.

theheatles
02-27-2012, 08:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftcJtvLr8g

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
brooklyn easily

Evolution23
02-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Dallas. Dirk, Dwight and Deron is amazing.

ThunderousDemon
02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Charlotte, Wizards, and Raptors, one of these three

Tmath
02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Toronto of course.

Chill_Will_24
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/02/27/all.star.wrapup/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

Sam Amick writes Monday that while everyone waits to see what the Magic front office will do between now and March 15, for Dwight Howard, "nothing has changed about his outlook" and while the Nets, Lakers and Jazz (!) are on his list, "New Jersey is far and away the leader".

Amick repeats the oft-told tale that Kobe Bryant told Howard he'd be the "second or third option" on the Lakers and adds that it's not just the lure of playing with Deron Williams that has him excited.

"He wants to take his brand global, to leverage the international influence of Russian owner Mikhail Prokhorov while building his brand as Brooklyn's first star," writes Amick.

"His wandering eye is enticed not only by the Barclays Center that is set to open next season, but the businesses in the booming area around it that could afford many off-court opportunities."

And if you're looking for any other proof, check out Howard telling a blogger what his favorite movie is: "Just Wright", the Queen Latifah vehicle that featured the Nets (and Howard playing himself).

Anyway i think it wold be better for the league if he goes to Brooklyn. I dont think people realize how big another NY team is gonna be for the NBA

(Cue Oak2455 with his "Brooklyn is not Manhattan and nobody cares about the Nets :bla: ")

thekmp211
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
tough choice. having them in brooklyn is the difference between a team that probably loses a lot of money, and one that is a huge national and international draw. dallas will still be a high profile, marketable franchise regardless of whether or not they get these guys.

the way i see it, with them in dallas you have 1 net positive franchise and 1 net negative. if they play in jersey you have 2 net positive franchises. as the NBA that's what you want.

as a hoops fan, it would be wild to see dwight/dirk play together let alone add deron to the mix. i guess for boston's sake i'd personally rather see them in dallas.

VinceCarter
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Cue Oak2455 with his "Brooklyn is not Manhattan and nobody cares about the Nets :bla: "

:laugh2: Spot on

Gritz
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
That thing got a hangdang!

Slimsim
02-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Crooklyn

Chill_Will_24
02-27-2012, 09:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbov6iBJkFE

Team*Chicago
02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I say Dallas because there will be a lot of Ds there. Deron, Dirk and Dwight.

--23--
02-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Bk

LTBaByyy
02-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Triple D is the nickname for Dallas!!!!!

And guess what? (D)irk (D)wight (D)eron

netsgiantsyanks
02-27-2012, 09:39 PM
k.

blastmasta26
02-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Better for the NBA? Easily, Brooklyn.

Dallas just recently got a title and are a playoff team without Dwight and Deron anyway.

The Nets have been struggling the past few seasons, getting those two would make them contenders and strengthen the very shallow East playoff picture. Not to mention it adds another good team to a huge market.

marques724
02-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Brooklyn without question

Punk
02-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Brooklyn easily.

We've never seen a New York rivalry where star power is heavy and both teams are legit contenders.

thechom80
02-28-2012, 05:13 AM
Brooklyn!! Stand Up!!

bholly
02-28-2012, 05:19 AM
If deron and howard were to be on 1 team which destination would be best for the NBA as a whole from the viewer's perspective?

for me its the Nets for the simple fact that the East has been dominated by the west for the past 10 seasons, and the East rarely had "Elite" teams in it, now we have the Heat, and Knicks, i think a third "Elite" team in the east would be the best for the NBA fan

in the west, they already have 2 teams that are going to be going head to head in the future: OKC and LAC, and because the east has been so weak, i feel it best of both were to combine on an eastern conference team

you's trollin'

Alayla
02-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Op is going no where fast with his predictons of the future the knicks are not by any strech elite and it boils down to the fact lin is not a superstar oh and that superstars are not everything these ideals the to be an elite team you must have 3 star names on your team is just mindboggling dallas won with 2 and 1 was a fossel the bulls>the knicks and its not even close btw lin no hate is an role player in this league when its said and done he can play in the nba but far and away isn't a star

Knicks21
02-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Whats best for the NBA? One in each.

ModernDaySavage
02-28-2012, 08:26 AM
This guy said the East has two elite teams, the Knicks and HEAT....No idea how he's not getting ripped apart for that.

johnwayne
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM

lmao??? your jokin, right? surely u "accidentally" forgot about chicago.

jp611
02-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Wait did the OP say the Knicks are an elite team while the Bulls aren't? :laugh:

To be elite, you need to be over .500

GodsSon
02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
No offence, but what kind of dumb question is this?

If they're not joining my team, then I want them as far away as possible; and could care less what's "best" for the NBA. What's 'best' for the NBA is for these overpaid, whiny prima donnas to shut their mouths and honor the contracts THEY willingly signed, rather than openly speak to the media with a false sense of entitlement. Stop alienating yourself, your team and your fanbases and do what you're paid to do which is play basketball and not talk.

/rant

Rockice_8
02-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Having a rivalry in NY in LA is going to wonders for the NBA

xnick5757
02-28-2012, 09:36 AM

right now the knicks are the #7 seed in the east

chicago (27-8)
indiana (21-12)
philadelphia (20-14)
orlando (22-13)
atlanta (20-14)

all have better records

MagicHero3
02-28-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/nets/2012/02/avery-johnson-mark-cuban-is-a-threat-to-snatch-away-deron-williams

look net fans, i can use articles based purely on speculation to prove my point too!

D-will has his eye on Dallas. pls do not get too upset if/when you guys lose D-Will and miss out on Dwight.

Greet
02-28-2012, 09:44 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/nets/2012/02/avery-johnson-mark-cuban-is-a-threat-to-snatch-away-deron-williams

look net fans, i can use articles based purely on speculation to prove my point too!

D-will has his eye on Dallas. pls do not get too upset if/when you guys lose D-Will and miss out on Dwight.

DWill is a FA, he has in eye on every team in the league and they have an eye on him. That article is so stupid. The Nets have the cap room to sign 15 superstars, if they want to offer minimum deals.

He said he likes playing in Dallas, obviously. His family is there and he grew up there. He also said on numerous occasions that he loves it here, loves the area and wants to play in Brooklyn. The Nets have played their whole marketing for Brooklyn around Deron Williams.

todu82
02-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Dallas to give the West a supposed super team.

Rockice_8
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM

We won't but neither should you if they do end up in Brooklyn leaving Orlando with nothing.

ManRam
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
better for the NBA, between these two, Brooklyn, hands down.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
I would think Brooklyn because Dallas is already a big market with a Championship and Superstar/HoF. But having said that, I believe there is a ceiling that Brooklyn. I dont think they will ever be like a top flight market because they will be the number 2 team in NY for the forseeable future.

Rockice_8
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
I would think Brooklyn because Dallas is already a big market with a Championship and Superstar/HoF. But having said that, I believe there is a ceiling that Brooklyn. I dont think they will ever be like a top flight market because they will be the number 2 team in NY for the forseeable future.

Mets and Jets do just fine as the #2 team in the NY area when they put good teams out on the field. Being #2 in NY is still better then being #1 in almost every other place except maybe LA, it just a tribute to actually how big of a market NY really is.

The Brooklyn brand is going to explode if they open the arena with Dwight/D-Will.

MagicHero3
02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
honestly, this is getting crazy.

its so glaringly obvious but no one says anything.

having two teams in the same town is not good for the nba as a whole, let alone having all the superstars in the same city.

So you'll have amare, melo, dwight and d-will in NY.
Kobe, CP3, Bynum and Griffin in LA.

does anyone see the trend? how is having all the all-stars condensed into the same cities good for the NBA? it will turn off every other market. Sure, the NBA will be really popular in LA and NY, but where else?

how will other teams survive economically if all the stars are running to the same city?

Greet
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
honestly, this is getting crazy.

its so glaringly obvious but no one says anything.

having two teams in the same town is not good for the nba as a whole, let alone having all the superstars in the same city.

So you'll have amare, melo, dwight and d-will in NY.
Kobe, CP3, Bynum and Griffin in LA.

does anyone see the trend? how is having all the all-stars condensed into the same cities good for the NBA? it will turn off every other market. Sure, the NBA will be really popular in LA and NY, but where else?

how will other teams survive economically if all the stars are running to the same city?

The NBA wouldn't survive without the NY and LA market, making those markets stronger has really no negatives.

aztr0
02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
If he has been watching Linsanity, Dwight should know where he should go if he wants to create a better brand. Deron Williams doesn't have the personality that Howard has, it seems like Howard will embrace all the media attention and benefit a lot from it from the stand point of global presence. On topic though, Brooklyn needs to have some stars to open up that new arena...

MagicHero3
02-28-2012, 11:42 AM
The NBA wouldn't survive without the NY and LA market, making those markets stronger has really no negatives.

so your saying the NBA would be honkey dorey with having practically the same 4 teams win every year, and all the stars wanting to go to the same cities?

its not negative to make those stronger, but its negative to make the other markets way weaker.

everyone who was a NOH fan was one bc of Chris Paul. I cant imagine how much their fan based/revenue has slipped since he left.

look at clevland when lebron left- that literally crippled CLE's economy and the Cavaliers as a whole...

your saying the NBA benefits from having all the superstars run to the same city? no, only those cities and teams benefit, leaving all the other teams in the dust.

im not BLAMING cp3 or lebron, im just using them as examples.

D12 fan
02-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Why is this even a question.It's easily Brooklyn,I wouldn't be suprised if Dwight is just trying to help Brooklyn out so that they keep their assets,so he could just sign as a free-agent.

Knicks vs Nets rivalry=More money for the NBA.

leftymo
02-28-2012, 11:46 AM
nothing good ever comes out of NY...

I'll say Dallas.

For the NBA? The Knicks and Nets have been irrelevant for 30+ years. The Lin hype is about 50% related to the fact he plays for NYK.

With an aging Lakers team, and two young teams like OKC and LAC, I think Dallas is poised to be that third team in the west.

Greet
02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
so your saying the NBA would be honkey dorey with having practically the same 4 teams win every year, and all the stars wanting to go to the same cities?

its not negative to make those stronger, but its negative to make the other markets way weaker.

everyone who was a NOH fan was one bc of Chris Paul. I cant imagine how much their fan based/revenue has slipped since he left.

look at clevland when lebron left- that literally crippled CLE's economy and the Cavaliers as a whole...

your saying the NBA benefits from having all the superstars run to the same city? no, only those cities and teams benefit, leaving all the other teams in the dust.

im not BLAMING cp3 or lebron, im just using them as examples.

The Cavs attendance in 2011 was virtually the same as 2010. The Hornets are the same thing. This is also with the economy getting worse and worse. Lebron leaving Cleveland didn't cripple anything. They had virtually the same attendance, and the Cleveland economy only worsened since every economy in the US worsened.

When the bigger cities have the bigger markets (LA/NY) they benefit the NBA tremendously. By those two cities helping the NBA that much, it goes and helps the other cities not doing so well. It's all a trickling down affect.

Greet
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
nothing good ever comes out of NY...

I'll say Dallas.

For the NBA? The Knicks and Nets have been irrelevant for 30+ years. The Lin hype is about 50% related to the fact he plays for NYK.

With an aging Lakers team, and two young teams like OKC and LAC, I think Dallas is poised to be that third team in the west.

The Nets at one point in the past 10-15 years have made two straight final appearances. That's hardly irrelevant.

Also this is about whats best for the NBA, I would argue that making two of the teams in the biggest sports market in America better, would help the NBA A lot more.

thedfactor
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
It's hard to set aside fan bias being a Mavs fan, but since this is in regards to the NBA and it's overall best interest...I still think it can benefit the league if they go to either team.

Let's first just say they are signing as FA and not Dwight getting dealt. Brooklyn landing Dwight and keeping Deron would be HUGE for the move to the city and the franchise and its fan base. The Nets and the NBA would love to have the transition be smooth and see the Nets competitive with 2 of the league's stars.

For Dallas, it's about winning championships from the first season on if they land Dwight AND Deron. Dirk and the Mavs got their first last season and Mark Cuban always does his best to build a team capable of bringing the city yet another title. Dirk carried the Mavs last season with stellar play, but lost his partner in crime in Tyson Chandler to the Knicks. Obviously D12 is a massive upgrade over TC, that's no shot at Tyson but just says how great Dwight is.

Nets would become much more competitive from the start for sure in the East. It's going to be Heat, Bulls, Knicks and Nets as the best teams out east for years.

Mavericks would take a leap, securing a solid future once Dirk slows down significantly or simply calls it quits. In the meantime, the Mavs would enter the 2012-2013 season as heavier favorites to win it all than the Nets would be at the same time.

Toss up for the league.

Dade County
02-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I think Howard & williams should take their talents to...

One of these team:

Houston/ Utah/ Phoenix/ Golden State ( Of course by trades ... etc)

That would help out the Nba a lot.

But honestly they should create a "mega team" and just join the HEAT.

thedfactor
02-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I think Howard & williams should take their talents to...

One of these team:

Houston/ Utah/ Phoenix/ Golden State ( Of course by trades ... etc)

That would help out the Nba a lot.

But honestly they should create a "mega team" and just join the HEAT.So unrealistic, but could you imagine? OMG! :speechless:

MagicHero3
02-28-2012, 12:35 PM
imagine dwight in OKC...that would be ridiculous

Young and Stupid
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Brooklyn. It's not close.

If we are to have this debate, it assumes that Dwight Howard will be remaining with the Magic past the trade deadline (if it is presumable for the Mavericks to acquire Howard, it must be that they would be signing him as a free-agent; as they do not have the pieces necessary to facilitate a trade with the Magic.

Both components (the market and the team itself) of this argument easily favor the Nets, but it behooves us to start with the one that is more readily understood. From a marketability standpoint (this encompasses media coverage, potential endorsement deals, market size, etc.) Brooklyn is far superior to that of Dallas. Can we call Dallas a "big-market"? Yes, but that's relative. Relative to New York, Dallas is not a "big-market." Now, will the Nets play second-fiddle to the Knicks? Most likely; and undoubtedly for the first couple years. However, being second to the Knicks while still playing in the best market in the country is still superior to that other markets -- in this case, Dallas (see: Clippers, Los Angeles).

From a team standpoint, the Mavericks would have to clear out every non-expiring contract that they have (and get no salary back). This, in itself, seems like a near impossible task; they would have to clear the following:

Marion: 8,396,634 – player option 2013- 9.1mil

Dominique Jones: 1,276,560

Rodrigue Beaubois: 2,227,333

Then:

Amnesty Haywood (3 yrs @ 9mil per)

Then:

Odom buy-out: aprx 2,500,000 – player option – 8.2mil

VC buy-out: between 1.5 – 3.1mil

However, for the purpose of this discussion, let's grant that Mark Cuban would be able to pull this off. That would leave the Mavericks with Dirk Nowitzki and ... oh, that's it. They'd then proceed to sign Deron Williams and Howard to contracts that would cause them to lose about $25 million over their entire course relative to what they would get with the Nets. (And for the record, we're talking about actually losing $25 million; not like the reported $30 million that Howard would lose by leaving the Magic in free agency, which only really amounts to $5 million.) Here's the math:

2012 Salary cap = $58,044,000

Dirk's Salary: 20,907,128

Rookie Minimum Salary Cap Hold = 490,180 (one hold for every player under 12)

Deron Williams 2012 max salary: 17,177,795

Dwight Howard 2012 max salary: 18,996,358

(Salary cap) – (Dirk’s salary) – (minimum roster cap hold x11) = 31,744,892 / 2 = 15,872,446

So ... to this point, Williams and Howard have each sacrificed about $25 million to play with Dirk -- it's probably worth it, though, right? Because the Mavericks would have a championship-contender. Oh, what's that? They'd have to fill out the rest of the roster with minimum wage players? So you're saying that they'd have nine minimum wage players? Now, some may argue that the Mavericks could add ring-chasing veterans to minimum-wage deals. Maybe, they'd be able to get a few (which I seriously doubt, but that's a different discussion); however, what would they do with the rest of the roster? You need effective role-players to win in the NBA -- history has shown that. So the Mavericks probably wouldn't be a legit championship contender for a year or two. That's okay, we have tim-- what's that? We don't have time? Dirk Nowitzki is 34 (he will be, by the time this happens)? Oh ... well ... uh ... we can fill out the team with his cap-space when Nowitzki's contract expires. By that time, it would seem to defeat the purpose of both Williams and Howard giving up roughly $25 million to play with Dirk.

The Nets, on the other hand, would have: Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, Anthony Morrow, Bojan Bodjanovic, Jordan Farmar, DeShawn Stevenson and TWO first-round picks in a stacked 2012 draft. They'd have the option of orchestrating a deal involving Lopez for a stud wing-player if they feel that the two (Lopez and Howard) don't fit well together. It seems -- to me, at least -- that from a basketball standpoint, this is far superior to what the Mavericks can offer.

So, lets review: To join the Mavericks, Williams and Howard would each have to lose roughly $25 million only to team up with Dirk Nowitzki and nine minimum-wage players. To join the Nets, they'd each get their max-contract (with Howard losing about $5 million relative to what he'd get with the Magic) and are surrounded by well-rounded roster; one that would make the team a sure championship-contender.

I wonder, then, how this can even be a debate.

TL;DR version: The Nets offer a far superior option to the Mavericks because Williams and Howard don't have to lose a shitload of money; they'd be in a much bigger market; and they'd be playing with a much better supporting cast.

MagicHero3
02-28-2012, 03:35 PM
lol thanks for the book

DR_1
02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Love how the OP mentions the Knicks as an elie team in the east and leaves out the Bulls :facepalm:

Anyway I think Dallas would be better. The NBA does not need 2 good New York teams.

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2012, 05:23 PM
the 5XD D! DIRK + DWIGHT + DERRON + DALLAS= DYNASTY!!!!!! Come on, this is Dallas easily. And its a better fit for their talents. Dallas is already a contender, getting D-Will and D12 would put them over the top. Having Kidd as a mentor and back-up to D-Will? And if Chandler could bring Dirk and Dallas the defence needed to win a title, imagine what Dwight would do for this team! I'm in the DEtroit area, and I gotta say, I'd pay to watch that team tear apart the Pistons!

That said, I would prefer Dwight and D-Will to go to Detroit. I think Detroit has the complimentary players to bring these guys a title, they just got to get rid of Charlie V and... well pretty much everybody excpet Prince, Gordon and the Moose.

~Iggy~
02-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Let them go to Dallas and we'll have four untouchable teams (Heat, Thunder, Bulls, Mavericks) that will dominate the NBA for a unforeseeable future. Would love to see another Heat vs Mavericks rematch in the finals!

thedfactor
02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Zach Lowe ‏ @ZachLowe_SI (https://twitter.com/#!/ZachLowe_SI)

How realistic is Dallas' goal of signing both Deron and Dwight? tinyurl.com/742lkby (http://t.co/jCzRxBPO)Best explanation of the only way Dallas can sign BOTH Deron and Dwight.