PDA

View Full Version : Report: Golden State interested in Javale McGee

Fresno
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
The Wizards were unable to sign McGee to an extension last month, meaning that he will be a restricted free agent this summer. The team made it clear to McGee’s representatives that he is a big part of its future, but those words could be hollow if owner Ted Leonsis doesn’t bring back Ernie Grunfeld and his basketball operations staff and hires another decision-maker who has a different opinion.

Golden State is expected to make a run for McGee. But the market could be congested, with McGee facing some competition with Roy Hibbert, Brook Lopez, Chris Kaman, and possibly Howard, if he isn’t traded by March 15, among the available big men.

DeAndre Jordan perhaps set the market for McGee when he signed a four-year, $43-million offer sheet with the Warriors that the Los Angeles Clippers eventually matched.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/wizards-at-halftime-part-iv-are-nick-young-and-javale-mcgee-looking-ahead-to-july/2012/02/27/gIQAofdUeR_blog.html

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
makes sense, i guess

Lindystud36
02-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Trade him for monta

PleaseBeNice
Javale is a bonehead

Master Mind
That would be good for the Warriors.

North Yorker
02-27-2012, 07:54 PM
The dude is as bright as a pineapple, but when you can put up nearly 12/9/3 from the C position, you're gonna draw interest.

Fresno
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Trade him for monta

I dont know how Monta fits into a backcourt with John Wall.

They'd probably need a 3rd team to take Monta and give Washington back a solid SG and some picks.

Master Mind
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Trade him for monta

Nick Young, Jordan Crawford. SG overload. :shrug:

Chronz
02-27-2012, 08:00 PM
DeAndre Jordan deserves that money, Jevale doesnt come close

Cubs Win
02-27-2012, 08:06 PM

They seem fairly comparable to me. :shrug:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=mcgeeja01&y1=2012&p2=jordade01&y2=2012

Obviously, you can say Jordan is more efficient from the field (higher TS% and eFG%) but that can be attributed in part to McGee having a USG % about 150% that of Jordan's. And McGee turns the ball over much less.

Fresno
02-27-2012, 08:13 PM

JaVale McGee is a better all around player than DeAndre Jordan.

You cant put the ball in DJ's hands and expect him to do any more than get an easy dunk around the basket. McGee is just as good of a dunker around the rim, but he has more offensive skills to work with.

On defense and rebounding they're about the same.

netsgiantsyanks
02-27-2012, 08:17 PM
javale mcgee is actually a decent basketball player, but his ******** decisions weigh out his skill.

shep33
02-27-2012, 08:26 PM
David Lee for McGee + Filler?

Evolution23
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Great fit for GS but who would they trade? I doubt Wash wants Monte.

Lakeshow24KB
02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Lol he's a different level of dumb.

celticsman2009
02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
very interesting. He could be a good player.

Iodine
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
JaVale on a team other than than the wiz makes mane a happy panda

Cubs Win
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
JaVale on a team other than than the wiz makes mane a happy panda

But he hustles to get back on defense all the time! Sorry, I had to. :p

Mishmin
02-27-2012, 08:45 PM
McGee actually puts up good numbers. But Wizards don't want to be a joke anymore. In that case, step 1 is losing McGee.

asandhu23
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
well, no ****ing ****. we ****ing need a ****ing big man.

Lloyd Christmas
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
About time. Get it done Riley.

MackShock
02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Trade him for Biedrins is a likely plan. Im willing to take on Shard's contract if it means getting rid of him and getting McGee

Shard/McGee for Biedrins + filler

Fresno
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Trade him for Biedrins is a likely plan. Im willing to take on Shard's contract if it means getting rid of him and getting McGee

Shard/McGee for Biedrins + filler

:eyebrow:

Well played, sir.

Rashard Lewis' contract expires at the end of next season and is only partially-guaranteed.

mavwar53
02-27-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't see a deal working out without Lee, Ellis or Curry being traded for him, there is no value to Biedrins, Lewis' contract is more than 20 mil while biedrins is only 9.

Actually the only thing that looks like it makes sense with Biedrins, without the warriors main 3 would be Biedrins, Kwame, and Dorell for McGee and Lewis, which can't be done til March 1st. I really don't see what the Wiz get out of this though besides not having to pay Lewis next year, so I'd be surprised if this deal happens cause the only player that makes sense going to the wiz would be David Lee.

Chronz
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
JaVale McGee is a better all around player than DeAndre Jordan.
I dont know about that, all I care about is their impact as players.

You cant put the ball in DJ's hands and expect him to do any more than get an easy dunk around the basket. McGee is just as good of a dunker around the rim, but he has more offensive skills to work with.

Thats what makes him superior. Like why would I care if Javale can go into the post and shoot 41%, turn it over and be an overall black hole in general? I have no doubt that Javale is the better go to guy, but hes such a poor go to guy that its totally irrelevant. Its better to have a player who plays to his strengths and understands his limitations than a guy who thinks more of himself than is really the case. Like Michael Beasley was the Twolves first option last year, hes nowhere near their best player.

And no hes not as good a dunker around the rim, DeAndre is a better finisher.

On defense and rebounding they're about the same.

Not at all, Javale jumps for everything. There is a distinct difference in the production they allow, there is literally no aspect of defense that Javale surpasses DJ

Chronz
02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
They seem fairly comparable to me. :shrug:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=mcgeeja01&y1=2012&p2=jordade01&y2=2012

Obviously, you can say Jordan is more efficient from the field (higher TS% and eFG%) but that can be attributed in part to McGee having a USG % about 150% that of Jordan's. And McGee turns the ball over much less.
Even when accounting for turnovers hes still more efficient, his usage doesnt exonerate his poor efficiency and thats part of his problem. He calls his own # far too often.

So if its comparable on offense, theres still the defensive side of the court.

Mr.SmackYoMama
02-27-2012, 09:22 PM
I dont know about that, all I care about is their impact as players.

Thats what makes him superior. Like why would I care if Javale can go into the post and shoot 41%, turn it over and be an overall black hole in general? I have no doubt that Javale is the better go to guy, but hes such a poor go to guy that its totally irrelevant. Its better to have a player who plays to his strengths and understands his limitations than a guy who thinks more of himself than is really the case. Like Michael Beasley was the Twolves first option last year, hes nowhere near their best player.

And no hes not as good a dunker around the rim, DeAndre is a better finisher.

Not at all, Javale jumps for everything. There is a distinct difference in the production they allow, there is literally no aspect of defense that Javale surpasses DJ

Even when accounting for turnovers hes still more efficient, his usage doesnt exonerate his poor efficiency and thats part of his problem. He calls his own # far too often.

HOMER MUCH :laugh2:

Chronz
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
HOMER MUCH :laugh2:

Not at all, I just trust the stats that back my opinion

KingPosey
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
JM and DJ are pretty comparable. DJ just made the first shot of his career outside the paint 2 weeks ago. 1 shot in 4 years. That limits him. They are comparable.

Mr.SmackYoMama
02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Not at all, I just trust the stats that back my opinion

Fair enough every1 is entitled to their opinion. As HOMERIFIC as it may be LOL jk brotha.

SugeKnight
02-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Maybe they want Udoh? Udoh is a better player, just more of a 4 than a 5. If McGee can grab boards, im all for it

KingPosey
02-27-2012, 09:28 PM
And Chronz as far as I can tell, DJ turns the ball over at a much higher rate than JM, and JM has a better block rate. So Im not really following your argument. He is more efficient in the sense that he only takes 4 shots a game, and makes 2.5 dunks. He has hit one shot in his entire career that was more than 4 feet from the basket, come on.

They have the same exact amount of DWS and JM has more WS overall. I think they are extremely comparable.

Cubs Win
02-27-2012, 09:28 PM

I think we can both agree, you don't build a team around either of these players. So efficiency is not as important here as it would be comparing two superstars, meaning efficiency should not hold as much weight in your comparison of the two players. It's still important but as C's that should be a 3rd option offensively at best, not my biggest worry.

And obviously defensive metrics are far less telling than offensive stats, but McGee has Jordan's number in all of them except DRTG and DRB%. All be it, they advantages for each in terms of defensive metrics were all by a small margin. Synergy usually has more telling defensive numbers but I don't have access to those. (If someone does and wants to post them that could help) So from what the numbers show, they are fairly similar as I said before.

Mr.SmackYoMama
02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
jm and dj are pretty comparable. Dj just made the first shot of his career outside the paint 2 weeks ago. 1 shot in 4 years. That limits him. they are comparable.

^^^^^^esto

Chronz
02-27-2012, 09:45 PM
I think we can both agree, you don't build a team around either of these players. So efficiency is not as important here as it would be comparing two superstars, meaning efficiency should not hold as much weight in your comparison of the two players. It's still important but as C's that should be a 3rd option offensively at best, not my biggest worry.What about defensive efficiency? Either way I disagree, efficiency is always important. Its how you compensate for not being as great of a chucker, I do think their offense isnt what makes this comparison tho, its their defensive value thats truly night and day.

And obviously defensive metrics are far less telling than offensive stats, but McGee has Jordan's number in all of them except DRTG and DRB%. All be it, they advantages for each in terms of defensive metrics were all by a small margin. Synergy usually has more telling defensive numbers but I don't have access to those. (If someone does and wants to post them that could help) So from what the numbers show, they are fairly similar as I said before.

You have to give me time to tweak the #'s but in their raw form this is where they rank.

Post Defense:
Javale allows his counterpart to shoot 53.7% in Post-Up situations vs 32% for DeAndre, added to the fact that he gets more stops because he rarely receives any double team help.

Isolation:
46% VS 33.3% Edge DJ

PnR :
44% VS 29.6%, EDGE DJ

Spotting Up:
50.8% vs 30.2%, Edge DJ

Overall DJ ranks in the Top 20 for PPP allowed, Javale ranks 360

Then consider the fact that our defense literally gos to **** without DJ, we hold teams to 102.9 PTS with him on the floor vs 114.5 without. Thats an alarming # that worries me personally, but it speaks to his defensive value for us.

And Chronz as far as I can tell, DJ turns the ball over at a much higher rate than JM, and JM has a better block rate. So Im not really following your argument.
Even when you account for turnovers hes still far more efficient. Better block rate? They are both at 7.1

He is more efficient in the sense that he only takes 4 shots a game, and makes 2.5 dunks. He has hit one shot in his entire career that was more than 4 feet from the basket, come on.

Yea thats what makes him better, he doesnt try inefficient shots the way Javale does, that hurts your team.

They have the same exact amount of DWS and JM has more WS overall. I think they are extremely comparable.

That DeAndre has more winshares in less time doesnt help your argument.

Gators123
02-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Warrior fans would hate him after two weeks.

Chronz
02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
For the record I like Javale but he is a poor mans DJ at this point.

Fnom11
02-27-2012, 09:53 PM
It's like they go for bigs that may have potential: David Lee, Beidrens, Kwame, and now Mcgee?

fadedmario
02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I would hate being a Warriors fan. They drafted Udoh over Greg Monroe and got rid of Jeremy Lin for nothing.

I don't know what kind of rotation they would use, but

Stephen Curry
Jeremy Lin
Monta Ellis
Greg Monroe
Klay Thompson
David Lee
Nate Robinson
Brandon Rush
Dorrell Wright

would have been a talented roster.

The Final Boss
02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
He isn't the brightest candle on the cake but teams need decent C, and that is exactly what he is.

mavwar53
02-27-2012, 10:05 PM
I would hate being a Warriors fan. They drafted Udoh over Greg Monroe and got rid of Jeremy Lin for nothing.

I don't know what kind of rotation they would use, but

Stephen Curry
Jeremy Lin
Monta Ellis
Greg Monroe
Klay Thompson
David Lee
Nate Robinson
Brandon Rush
Dorrell Wright

would have been a talented roster.

Personally I like Udoh more than Monroe.

Fun Fact, Udoh is the only player in the top 50 or +/- that is on a losing team.

As for McGee I think he'd play well on a team with better players, the Wiz players just completely are garbage. Other than Wall, who can't shoot, they have Young and Crawford who don't know what passing the ball means, Andray Blatche who is weak and Rashard Lewis, other than that I really can't name many other players on their team except singleton and Vesely.

THE MTL
02-27-2012, 10:08 PM

Hell no D'Andre doesnt. he averages what? 8-8-3? and this is his best season thus far.

If he put this kind of output at any other position in the NBA, he wouldnt even get 5 million.

Since the league is starving for any kind of 7fter that can rebound and block shots.....Javal Mcgee will probi make at least 10 million per year. I can see Golden State offering him a contract similar to the one they offered D'Andre. I doubt Wizards will match that.

Chronz
02-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Forgive me if Im not swayed by your statistical argument

fadedmario
02-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Personally I like Udoh more than Monroe.

Fun Fact, Udoh is the only player in the top 50 or +/- that is on a losing team.

:laugh2:

Greg Monroe

16.7 PPG (.513 FG%)
9.8 RPG
2.5 APG
1.4 SPG
0.6 BPG
32 MPG

Epke Udoh

4.4 PPG (.408 FG%)
3.7 RPG
0.8 APG
0.6 SPG
1.7 BPG
20 MPG

Mishmin
02-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Udoh has good upside. But Monroe is going to be a stud.

fadedmario
02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Also, my point is - if you guys had Lin and Monroe, you guys would be sick right now.

fadedmario
02-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Dude you have no brain at all, if Lin was on the Warriors he would never get PT so no one would even know who he is.

I have no brain and you like Udoh more than Monroe. Lol man. :facepalm:

fadedmario
02-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Warriors front office is probably the worst in the league. They continue to fail year after year.

iFYouSeekAmy
02-27-2012, 11:21 PM
:laugh2:

Greg Monroe

16.7 PPG (.513 FG%)
9.8 RPG
2.5 APG
1.4 SPG
0.6 BPG
32 MPG

Epke Udoh

4.4 PPG (.408 FG%)
3.7 RPG
0.8 APG
0.6 SPG
1.7 BPG
20 MPG

Only Warrior fans would know that Udoh impacts the game even though he doesn't fill the stat sheet. He's a defensive force in the paint and he's one of the main reasons why they close out games properly as of late. The team does MUCH better when he's on the court.

And he's right- Lin would not see PT if he stayed. He never fit in the rotation. No one saw Linsanity coming.. no one. You really expect Lin to play over Curry, Ish, Nate and Jenkins at the start of the season?

fadedmario
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Wow

Lloyd Christmas
02-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Monroe would be considered another empty stat player on the Warriors.

SugeKnight
02-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Wow
That's right:nod:

Gram
02-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Monroe > Udoh. Lin > The rest a the league.

Blink
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Lol Monroe> Udohh enough said

Iodine
02-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Wait, Chronz being logical and saying what many of the wizards fans I know and I think makes him a homer? Well **** I learn new things on PSD

Monta is beast
02-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Please please please please please

FlakeyFool
02-28-2012, 12:17 AM
must be impressed with his bball iq

Monta is beast
02-28-2012, 12:20 AM
So are they looking to trade for him or sign him this off-season?

IndiansFan337
02-28-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't think I'd want McGee on my team's books for $40+ million. I don't know if you can build a championship contender with him on the books at that rate.

broncosfan4eva
02-28-2012, 12:41 AM
3 way between lakers warriors and wiz.
la gets monta
wiz get pau
warriors mcgehee

xILLN355
02-28-2012, 12:47 AM
3 way between lakers warriors and wiz.
la gets monta
wiz get pau
warriors mcgehee

monta for mcgee?:facepalm:

irishmarine
02-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Pau doesn't benefit the wizards without draft compensation as well. They need draft picks and a lot f them to draft a new starting lineup. Lol that team is garbage!!

Monta is beast
02-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Comparing Udoh and Monroe holds no water. Udoh impacts the game at the defensive end, while Monroe impacts the game on the offensive end.

fadedmario
02-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Comparing Udoh and Monroe holds no water. Udoh impacts the game at the defensive end, while Monroe impacts the game on the offensive end.

How don't care how good you are on defense - if you're a big man shooting 40% from the field and only averaging 4 ppg and 3 rpg - you aren't anything special.

Monta is beast
02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
How don't care how good you are on defense - if you're a big man shooting 40% from the field and only averaging 4 ppg and 3 rpg - you aren't anything special.

Just because Udoh doesn't put up the offensive numbers, doesn't mean he's not as good as Monroe. Monroe scores the ball, Udoh prevents people from scoring.

fadedmario
02-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Just because Udoh doesn't put up the offensive numbers, doesn't mean he's not as good as Monroe. Monroe scores the ball, Udoh prevents people from scoring.

Udoh doesn't rebound either. It's not that he just doesn't score - he shoots 40% as a big man. That is horrible.

Anyways - so this can go back to being on-topic. Here's a Udoh/Monroe thread in the NBA Comparisons forum.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=698775

tredigs
02-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Udoh doesn't rebound either. It's not that he just doesn't score - he shoots 40% as a big man. That is horrible.

Anyways - so this can go back to being on-topic. Here's a Udoh/Monroe thread in the NBA Comparisons forum.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=698775

Nobody knows/understands Udoh's impact defensively unless you watch a lot of Warriors games and/or have a serious knowledge of the game. He's a court general defensively and does so many little things smart that he's able to more than overcompensate for his sometimes hilariously raw offensive game. I do know that he's the only player in the past two seasons on a losing team who has a +/- in the top 50 in the league. Hints at how big his impact can eventually become and on many nights already is. Monroe's fun and a serious talent, but he is kind of a joke defensively right now, and I'm not sold that he's a guy who's helping a team win games at this point.

Concerning McGee: I'm desperate for this team to get a solid center, but that DOES NOT include Javale.

willthethrill22
02-28-2012, 01:27 AM
why I'm concerned as a Warriors fan right now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieymkwx3wRU

THE MTL
02-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Forgive me if Im not swayed by your statistical argument

Do you honestly think D'Andre deserves 11 mil per season? The only reason he gets that money is because he is a rare commodity. A 7fter who can rebound and block shots and defend. (there are about 10 of those in the entire league)

tredigs
02-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Do you honestly think D'Andre deserves 11 mil per season? The only reason he gets that money is because he is a rare commodity. A 7fter who can rebound and block shots and defend. (there are about 10 of those in the entire league)

Did you just question his point and then completely validate it yourself?

Price is a product of the market...

xILLN355
02-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Did you just question his point and then completely validate it yourself?

Price is a product of the market...

knick fans tredigs, knick fans...

Celticsfan2007
02-28-2012, 12:54 PM

bahahhahahahahahhhaha

This is the quote of the thread. :facepalm:

xILLN355
02-28-2012, 02:37 PM

whats chandler getting??:facepalm:

Monta is beast
02-28-2012, 03:06 PM
If your an average Center in the NBA right now, your going to get at least 9 million. Look at Dalembert.

Chronz
02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
If your an average Center in the NBA right now, your going to get at least 9 million. Look at Dalembert.

Yup, and look at the difference hes made for that team.