PDA

View Full Version : Penny And Shaq

Slimsim
02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
My Cousin said back in the 90s this duo was sick. My question how good was Penny and did they fall victims to the Micheal Jordan Era ?

JasonJohnHorn
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
They fell victim to the Shaq-left-Orland-for-LA era and the Penny-fawked-up-his-knee era. If they stayed together and stayed healthy, this pairing would have been the stuff of legend and Shaq would have had about 3 or 4 more rings while Jordan would have a couple less.

There was a disgusting about of talent in that pair of players.

ManRam
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
yeah, MJ wasn't the problem.

They played 3 years together. The first was Penny's rookie year, too.

The first year they got swept by the Pacers in the first round
The second year they got swept by the Rockets in THE FINALS...they actually beat Chicago...who didn't even have MJ that season...
The third year they did lose to the Bulls...so that year can say say MJ did ruin things.

But Shaq leaving is the only thing that really doomed it. Plain and simple.

And yes, Penny was a star back in his prime. A joy to watch. We're talking about a 24 PER/14 WS guy with Shaq. Injuries really ruined him...unfortunately. Never lived up to his potential...

NoahH
02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Penny was legit but was screwed over by his knee issues.

Laker Legend42
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
They fell victim to shaq having an issue with every good guard he played with in his more productive years. He didn't like skiles. They brought in penny,he got famous fell out with him and nick Anderson (I'm with him there) came to L.a didn't get along with nick and Eddie jones. Got ej traded then Kobe emerged. In the end of that both were to blame. Early on shaq simply didn't get along with guards that had the ability to get a shot on his own.

RaiderLakersA's
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
As Penny went, so went the Shaq-Lil Penny era. If you blinked, you missed it.

Unlike others, I am not completely sure that they win multiple titles (mainly because Penny is no Kobe -- let's be real -- even when healthy), but I think they might have slipped by with one.

Don't ask me which year, though, because the Spurs were absolute beasts, too. And Orlando didn't really have the depth of talent to compete with a team like the Kings, either. I'd even go as far as saying that Reggie Miller would also have a ring, even with Lil Penny and Shaq in Orlando.

Heediot
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
They fell victim to the Shaq-left-Orland-for-LA era and the Penny-fawked-up-his-knee era. If they stayed together and stayed healthy, this pairing would have been the stuff of legend and Shaq would have had about 3 or 4 more rings while Jordan would have a couple less.

They may have had rings together but not at the expense of the greatness of MJ and Chicago.

Ebbs
02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
According to SHaq's book I would say they fell victim to ego's expanding faster than their game.

Penny wanted to be the Magic's top paid player. Shaq's pride was stung by that so he left.

Heediot
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
According to SHaq's book I would say they fell victim to ego's expanding faster than their game.

Penny wanted to be the Magic's top paid player. Shaq's pride was stung by that so he left.

Shaq is full of it. He'll say anything to distort his image.

ManRam
02-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Yeah, I don't buy that for one second.

Shaq wanted a huge market, and Hollywood. Case closed. He left on his own volition, not because Penny sabotaged things...

The goods
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
That's the thing about shaq he blames everyone else,they made me leave,they loved penny/kobe more than me get over it,they always called him a giant kid and rightfully so that's what people love and hate about him.

CubbySwag313
02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
My Cousin said back in the 90s this duo was sick. My question how good was Penny and did they fall victims to the Micheal Jordan Era ?

They were sick as hell! So much fun to watch. I was a huge huge penny fan. He was a true point guard who could score with the best of any. The way Penny would always have his left arm cocked up between his chest and stomach when dribbling during attack mode was awesome to watch.....To bad his knees gave out on him....He fell victim to injuries and to Hakeem and the 94-95 Rockets....

AllKohn
02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
ok-really not looking to throw bs info out there-but I had a friend who worked for the magic during the hey-day of penny/shaq and he said Shaq left Orlando because Penny was gay and he couldn't deal with it.

I have nothing to back this up-but I swear it was told by a good source.

esb
02-27-2012, 07:54 PM
aahh.........Penny the Great. My all-time favorite basketball player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou04IQhpVzc&feature=related

JordansBulls
02-27-2012, 08:03 PM

No, they weren't beating the Bulls in 1997 nor 1998.

blastmasta26
02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
ok-really not looking to throw bs info out there-but I had a friend who worked for the magic during the hey-day of penny/shaq and he said Shaq left Orlando because Penny was gay and he couldn't deal with it.

This seems doubtful at best.

Chronz
02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
No, they weren't beating the Bulls in 1997 nor 1998.
With a healthy Horace Grant and improving Penny (assuming he never gets injured). They would represent their biggest obstacle of that time for sure.

Yea I heard about that one. He does seem pretty feminine sometimes.

KingPosey
02-27-2012, 09:35 PM
They fell victims to the Shaq left and Penny had an injury that ruined his career era.

Rad_Racing
02-27-2012, 09:59 PM
They were damn good. They made the finals in '95. I thought for sure they would stay together for 10+ years and win a couple titles. Oh yeah can't forget Blue Chips ;)

When I was a little kid, Magic was my favorite player. When Penny came along I thought he was the closest thing to Magic, so he became my favorite player. I remember buying a Penny jersey in 8th grade must have been in '94 and my bestfriend bought a Shaq jersey. We would wear them on the same day thinking we were so cool.

NYKnicks4511
02-27-2012, 10:14 PM

Penny was D-Rose, except he was 6'7'', he would've easily been a hall of famer with the pace he was on, if it wasn't for injuries ;/

Shaq is Shaq, he left for LA, ended up working out for him. But god damn, they were the last team to beat the MJ-Pipp Bulls in a playoff series. With two young players ON THE ROAD. They would've easily won a couple championships if Penny stayed healthy and Shaq stayed.

AllKohn
02-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Ok- I felt like I need to do more than just throw out rumors about penny and urkel-so here ya go. Not proof-but something...

*** UPDATE - September 4, 2011 ***

I recently discovered that there are rumors of a gay sex tape involving Jaleel White and former NBA star Anfernee ("Penny") Hardaway. According to the rumor, many NBA players have viewed copies of the gay sex tape. White has denied the rumors and claimed that Penny Hardaway was like a big brother to him. [The audio clip of White's denial is available on this site.]

http://washedupcelebrities.blogspot.com/2007/11/jaleel-white.html

Chronz
02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
BTW I saw Urkel at the Clippers-Twolves game a few weeks ago