PDA

View Full Version : Raps Shopping Barbosa To Make Room For Chandler

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
The Raptors are anxious to move the contract of Leandro Barbosa to make a big offer to restricted free agent Wilson Chandler.

NBA.com

Chronz
02-27-2012, 05:45 PM
A big offer to someone who at his best produced at a league average rate? Is Wilson a great defender or am I missing something else?

JasonJohnHorn
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
SMH. This is classic Toronto... way to chase after an average free agent... that will make them SO much better. I like Chandler, don't get me wrong, but this reminds me of when they tried to sign Matt Barnes and were to dumb to realize that Orlando couldnt do a sign and trade for him. The fact that players like these are the guys that Toronto is going after says something about the front office.

Save your capspace for an all-star, or at least a center that can rebound! You heard me Barngagme!

They should save some cap-space for Jarrett Jack, oh wait a minute...

Raps18-19 Champ
02-27-2012, 05:47 PM
A big offer to someone who at his best produced at a league average rate? Is Wilson a great defender or am I missing something else?

It's like 6th man money from what I believe.

Which shouldn't be that bad.

sp1derm00
I would love for the Lakers to pick him up even if it means using the TPE on him.

FlakeyFool
Brian Colangelo destined to sign another player to a god awful contract

SportsFanatic10
02-27-2012, 05:57 PM
i like chandler but damn, toronto already striked out giving turk a big deal not long ago. i dont think they should be so aggressive with this move.

FriedTofuz
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Toronto management Is terrible. They're going to overpay for a good player who is not an all star and then that person wont live up to such money. Smh at bryan colangelo.

FriedTofuz
02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
SMH. This is classic Toronto... way to chase after an average free agent... that will make them SO much better. I like Chandler, don't get me wrong, but this reminds me of when they tried to sign Matt Barnes and were to dumb to realize that Orlando couldnt do a sign and trade for him. The fact that players like these are the guys that Toronto is going after says something about the front office.

Save your capspace for an all-star, or at least a center that can rebound! You heard me Barngagme!

That is exactly bryan colangelos problem. He should have been gone since last season. He hasnt learnd at all since the hedo turkoglu contract.

FriedTofuz
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Poor Toronto, They have good fans and have not had a winning team in quite some time now in both hockey and basketball..

LTBaByyy
02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
On a sub par team he is worthless

But on a contender he can be pretty good!

Fresno
02-27-2012, 06:48 PM

I'm willing to bet an All Star player would consider Toronto as much as they would consider Charlotte or Utah.

Toronto having a bunch of cap space literally means nothing considering they would have to overpay a tier 2 Free Agent in order to sign them.

Same thing with Wilson Chandler.

valade16
02-27-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't get why this signing would be bad? If they could trade Barbosa to sign Chandler how is that not an immediate upgrade?

Am I missing something here, does Toronto plan to throw the Max at Chandler?

nycericanguy
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
If they dont want DEN to match they are going to have to offer $9-10m per.

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 06:58 PM

I dont think toronto usually attracts good talent, if chandler is interested in playing there, the raptors have to what they can to get him. They better not pay him more than 10 mil a year tho.

North Yorker
02-27-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't get why this signing would be bad? If they could trade Barbosa to sign Chandler how is that not an immediate upgrade?

Am I missing something here, does Toronto plan to throw the Max at Chandler?

Ditto.

He would fit into our roster very nicely at the SF spot. Can shoot the 3, defend, is still only 24 years old, and plus if Calderon is moved, the Raps could have roughly $30M in cap space next year.

I have no problem spending $8-9M of that on a young guy who fits our roster like a glove.

(Note: The $30M cap space number is possible if Calderon is traded for an expiring/TPE/picks/etc and Barbosa isnt re-signed).

IndyRealist
02-27-2012, 07:01 PM
If they are offering less than $7M starting then they don't have to move Barbosa, because that's how far they are under the cap. Stands to reason then that they are going to offer him more.

North Yorker
02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
If they are offering less than $7M starting then they don't have to move Barbosa, because that's how far they are under the cap. Stands to reason then that they are going to offer him more.

According to Trade Machine they only have $4.3M in cap space.

LTBaByyy
02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Who Cares (Hopefully Calderon Stays)
Derozan
Chandler
Bargs
Valinciunas

That's is a great young team!!!!

LTBaByyy
02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Especially with our defense mastermind at Head Coach Casey

Miss him

Tmath
02-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Poor Toronto, They have good fans and have not had a winning team in quite some time now in both hockey and basketball..

Your jumping to conclusions.

1. This is just another rumour

2. Chandler hasn't even been cleared to play in the NBA yet so I doubt Colangelo will trade Barbosa until he is cleared.

3. Denver can match the offer.

4. No one knows what type of contract BC will offer him.

Tmath
02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Ditto.

He would fit into our roster very nicely at the SF spot. Can shoot the 3, defend, is still only 24 years old, and plus if Calderon is moved, the Raps could have roughly $30M in cap space next year.

I have no problem spending $8-9M of that on a young guy who fits our roster like a glove.

(Note: The $30M cap space number is possible if Calderon is traded for an expiring/TPE/picks/etc and Barbosa isnt re-signed).

Wrong.

LanceUpperCut
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Wow so much criticism and you guys have no clue what so ever the contract would be. People talk about Hedo well it was a **** signing and a mistake but he was the biggest FA and on paper fitted our needs but when it didn't work out BC dumped him in no time.
I would love to see Chandler with the Raps he's young a SF which we are lacking, can play solid defence and can score.
People talk like T.O. has to overpay but to me every FA is overpaid now a days look at Amare, Tyson Chandler, Bosh, Boozer all big market teams all over pay for there guys.

Tmath
02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Wow so much criticism and you guys have no clue what so ever the contract would be. People talk about Hedo well it was a **** signing and a mistake but he was the biggest FA and on paper fitted our needs but when it didn't work out BC dumped him in no time.
I would love to see Chandler with the Raps he's young a SF which we are lacking, can play solid defence and can score.
People talk like T.O. has to overpay but to me every FA is overpaid now a days look at Amare, Tyson Chandler, Bosh, Boozer all big market teams all over pay for there guys.

Exactly.

North Yorker
02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Wrong.

I took the numbers from HoopsHype (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm).

According to them our committed salaries for next year are $39.5M.

$39.5M-$10.5M(Jose's 2012/13 salary)= $29M in committed salaries.

$29M+ $3.5M (Jonas rookie deal)= $32.5M

Economic projections from sources say the salary cap will then grow to about $60 to $61 million in 2012
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/11/report-nba-salary-cap-to-remain-at-58-million-rising-in-2012/

$61M cap - $32.5M salaries = 28.5M in cap space.

EDIT: just realized they didnt include Forbes deal, so therefore we would have ~$27M in cap space, minus whatever our draft pick gets.

PC
02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
He's only 25. I'm not saying he's a star in the making but there's a lot of potential there. I always enjoyed him on the Knicks. I hope the Raptors aren't looking at him as a savior because he's not going to be someone you can build around but he'd be an awesome number 3 option on a contending team.

the_jon
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM

So.....Just wait on Valanciunus?

I know this signing wouldn't make a whole lot of sense but finding another big man is not our first priority (for once)

SA5195
02-27-2012, 07:26 PM

This.

Heck even Brenden Haywood is getting 8.8 million this year alone!

People need to stop jumping on conclusions so quickly.

You guys don't even know the contract offer yet.

Tmath
02-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I took the numbers from HoopsHype (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm).

According to them our committed salaries for next year are $39.5M.

$39.5M-$10.5M(Jose's 2012/13 salary)= $29M in committed salaries.

$29M+ $3.5M (Jonas rookie deal)= $32.5M

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/11/report-nba-salary-cap-to-remain-at-58-million-rising-in-2012/

$61M cap - $32.5M salaries = 28.5M in cap space.

EDIT: just realized they didnt include Forbes deal, so therefore we would have ~$27M in cap space, minus whatever our draft pick gets.

We have 41,075,278 committed in salary next season.

Add Jonas rookie contract $3.5mil

Add our Top 10 pick, anywhere in between $2.2mil to $5.5mil

Your looking at roughly $47mil

I guarantee you we will not amnesty Calderon and if we trade him we will be getting some salary back and I can bet we don't go over $57mil in salary, so your $30mil in caps space is way off.

I made a thread about this in the raptors forum, check it out if you want.

LTBaByyy
02-27-2012, 07:37 PM
You can not tell me this team can't make AT LEAST 9th in the east next year

Calderon (Kidd)
Derozan (Terry)
Chandler (Marion)
Bargs (Dirk)
Valuncianus (Chandler)

Dwayne Casey is very smart and trying to make similar styles to his championship Mavericks team

WeaponXXX
02-27-2012, 07:39 PM
I hope we get him. Dear god, he would be the second biggest free agent signing ever and a free agent that can play

1st is Hakeem The dream.

Tmath
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Calderon (Kidd)
Derozan (Terry)
Chandler (Marion)
Bargs (Dirk)
Valuncianus (Chandler)

Dwayne Casey is very smart and trying to make similar styles to his championship Mavericks team

It's nice to see one outsider see the potential in our team. Add another lottery pick and we will be looking decent.

Abdul Mutalib

+1, coming from a raps guy

Raps18-19 Champ

Calderon (Kidd)
Derozan (Terry)
Chandler (Marion)
Bargs (Dirk)
Valuncianus (Chandler)

Valancuinas is a rookie next year. Amir would have a better chance to mimic Chandler.

Derozan and Terry's game are nothing alike.

Tmath
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
+1, coming from a raps guy

Jasonjohnhorn just said he likes Andre Blatche in another thread, yet he wouldn't want Wilson Chandler?, this guy is clueless.

Tmath
02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Valancuinas is a rookie next year. Amir would have a better chance to mimic Chandler.

Valanciunas & Derozan have the potential to be better then both, I agree they have completely different games though.

North Yorker
02-27-2012, 07:45 PM
We have 41,075,278 committed in salary next season.

Add Jonas rookie contract $3.5mil

Add our Top 10 pick, anywhere in between $2.2mil to $5.5mil

Your looking at roughly $47mil

I guarantee you we will not amnesty Calderon and if we trade him we will be getting some salary back and I can bet we don't go over $57mil in salary, so your $30mil in caps space is way off.

I made a thread about this in the raptors forum, check it out if you want.

We have the same numbers once I accounted for the Forbes deal.

Whats to say we couldnt trade Calderon for expirings+picks? Heck in that LAL/ORL/TOR rumour yesterday that deal would have worked if we shipped Jose off to ORL and took NO salaries back.

If we can get Jose completely off the books by this offseason we would have roughly $24.5M in cap space, or as I said in my post, ~$27M minus whatever the rookie makes.

That number was originally $28.5M when I looked at HoopsHype so I just threw out the "roughly $30M" number.

We're on the same pg, my main point being is that we could conceivably sign Chandler and still have enough $$$ to offer a max contract to someone (with the amnesty still in hand).

Raps18-19 Champ
02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Valanciunas & Derozan have the potential to be better then both, I agree they have completely different games though.

I realize they have the potential but he said next year, which by then, they won't be at the level of talent that mimics either Mavs players.

Tmath
02-27-2012, 07:55 PM
We have the same numbers once I accounted for the Forbes deal.

Whats to say we couldnt trade Calderon for expirings+picks? Heck in that LAL/ORL/TOR rumour yesterday that deal would have worked if we shipped Jose off to ORL and took NO salaries back.

If we can get Jose completely off the books by this offseason we would have roughly $24.5M in cap space, or as I said in my post, ~$27M minus whatever the rookie makes.

That number was originally $28.5M when I looked at HoopsHype so I just threw out the "roughly $30M" number.

We're on the same pg, my main point being is that we could conceivably sign Chandler and still have enough $$$ to offer a max contract to someone (with the amnesty still in hand).

Maybe just, but we would be scraping pennies.

llemon
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Isn't the 1st post in this thread talking about Raptors making an offer to him this season, while Chandler is a RFA?

Abdul Mutalib
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM

Jasonjohnhorn just said he likes Andre Blatche in another thread, yet he wouldn't want Wilson Chandler?, this guy is clueless.
+ ∞ for ur raps boner, easy kid.

smith&wesson
02-27-2012, 08:05 PM

I have no problem giving chandler 8 mill a year. he fits our team very well. bargs is a below average rebounder at the 4, chandler is a good rebounder at the 3. derozan is better at driving to the basket, chandler can play off the ball and open the floor up with his range.

and yes chandler is a pretty good defender which is somthing we lack and have been needing for years. jj has emerged as a good defender for us, but im pretty sure we can have more then one above average defender. also chandler can gaurd 3's & 4's and some times even 2's.

toronto doesnt have any max player contracts at all. so this would not ham string us in any way. we have a bunch of vets min guys signed to one year deals and they will all be off the books next year(a.carter, maglore, gray, r.butler)

ALSO keep in mind that toronto has a very difficult time attracting free agents. its not like we can save that money and throw it at someone else. wilson has expressed a willingness to join our team which is rare.

we have demar derozan, ed davis, & james johnson on rookie contracts. next year we will have jonas and another draft pick. thats a total of 4 guys on rookie contracts for atlast one season. then you cut the vet guys i mentioned above and you have a very very young team with ALOT of cap flex.

this signing wouldnt be bad for the team at all. im all for it. barbosa gets 7 mill a year to chuck. wilson at least provides more then just scoring.

smith&wesson
02-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Isn't the 1st post in this thread talking about Raptors making an offer to him this season, while Chandler is a RFA?

teams can sign him up until march 1st. after that only denver can sign him for this year. its gonna be tight. may not happen for that reason if the raps cant find a suiter for barbosa.

smith&wesson
02-27-2012, 08:11 PM

hold on are you talking about tyson or wilson chandler ?? because jonas' size and lengthe is much more comparable to tyson chandler then amir johnson. amir is truly a four.

Gritz
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
We got a coo 2nd round pick for him

Raps18-19 Champ
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
hold on are you talking about tyson or wilson chandler ?? because jonas' size and lengthe is much more comparable to tyson chandler then amir johnson. amir is truly a four.

Tyson. I'm talking in terms of role more than actual physical attributes.

Amir is shorter but next year when Jonas is a rookie, it would be more reliable to trust Amir for rebounds and defense over Jonas. I like Jonas but until I see him play in the league, I'll have to give it to Amir.

Lo Porto
02-27-2012, 08:18 PM
What is Toronto willing to give up with Barbosa for a team to take Barbosa? Utah has a big trade exception from the Okur deal, but they wouldn't want to spend the money on Barbosa without more incentive. Would Toronto include more?

DaoudS
02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I bet teams are low balling Toronto right now. They know that if they want to get Wilson Chandler right now they will have to clear cap space before March 1st. I am pretty sure Colangelo and the front office have no problems with letting Barbosa's contract expire at the end of the season.

celticsman2009
02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I wish the celts had room for him. could have been a solid bench player.

DaoudS
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
I wish the celts had room for him. could have been a solid bench player.

lol wanna make a deal for Rondo? Ed Davis, Barbosa, and this years first rounder (top 3).

smith&wesson
02-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Tyson. I'm talking in terms of role more than actual physical attributes.

Amir is shorter but next year when Jonas is a rookie, it would be more reliable to trust Amir for rebounds and defense over Jonas. I like Jonas but until I see him play in the league, I'll have to give it to Amir.

ok i see what your saying.

with the bolded statment :clap: wow a raptor fan with some sence. who would have thought it be you raps08-09champ lol

JEDean89
02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
chandler is going to be a nugget, he is just trying to maximize his value by talking to toronto.

smith&wesson
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I bet teams are low balling Toronto right now. They know that if they want to get Wilson Chandler right now they will have to clear cap space before March 1st. I am pretty sure Colangelo and the front office have no problems with letting Barbosa's contract expire at the end of the season.

I think he will end up with the lakers for the tpe they got for odom. they need help on their 2nd unit and barbosa is a perfect 6th man. they gave up their own 6th man for the tpe and that was a mistake. this is a chance to correct that mistake. .

lol wanna make a deal for Rondo? Ed Davis, Barbosa, and this years first rounder (top 3).

you know rondo would still need to pass to someone :p

ill give up the pick and either ed or barbosa but not both. they can have bayless and davis if they want.

Jamiecballer
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
i don't get this. we are shopping a solid player to make room for another solid player. how do we ever get ahead operating like this!?!?!!?!?!

i can't stand Colangelo.

Tmath
02-27-2012, 08:56 PM
i don't get this. we are shopping a solid player to make room for another solid player. how do we ever get ahead operating like this!?!?!!?!?!

i can't stand Colangelo.

Again, another guy jumping to conclusions. How to we know this writer isn't making up another BS rumour.

And Chandler is much younger then Barbosa and would be a better fit for our future plans.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
ok i see what your saying.

with the bolded statment :clap: wow a raptor fan with some sence. who would have thought it be you raps08-09champ lol

There's a handful in the Raptors forum that actually feels the same.

smith&wesson
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM

i can't stand Colangelo.

Barbosa is a solid 6th man. but lets face it he is a scorer and thats all he provides.

A contender could certainly use him. but we need a starting 5 before we pay a 6th man another 7 mill a year.

but i see what your saying with the lateral movements.

smith&wesson
02-27-2012, 09:22 PM
There's a handful in the Raptors forum that actually feels the same.

I know, i live in those forums lol ... need more realistic expectations from jonas over all from our fan base. look at how they rip derozan apart, theyll do the same to jonas if he doesnt live up to the hype they created for him. remember him being compared to hakeem ? i mean cmon.

gwrighter
02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Please get rid of Barbosa and sign Chandler. Get it done BC. BTW Jonas is gonna be a stud, ya'll are going to be eating your words next season. Easier to hate than provide an analysis of your own.

NYKnicks4511
02-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Call me crazy, but I think that this would be a good move for Toronto. Wilson + DeRozan + Ed Davis +Valanciunas etc is a really solid core.

However, I think they could potentially get the same production with better potential by drafting a guy like Kidd-Gilchrist.

Punk
02-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Wow. I'm convinced some people on this forum are striaght up ******** when it comes to basketball.

Wilson on a subpar team is going to put up 20ppg or close to it. On a contending team, he can be a Jeff Green type scorer where he averages solid numbers all around.

I don't see how anyone can compare to previous signings. It makes no damn sense to me. Denver would have had to give him 40 to 50 million but it's not good if Toronto does it?

What does Barbosa do exactly? He's hardly making an impact whatosever.

Anyhow, I'd love to get Barbosa on the Knicks as a rental but salaries won't match any trade.

ManningToTyree
02-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Why would Chandler want to go to Toronto.

He will be on a contender. Lakers look like a good fit.

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 09:55 PM

No, no he wont. Not if he wants more than 2mil a year

Mudvayne91
02-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Wow. I'm convinced some people on this forum are striaght up ******** when it comes to basketball.

Wilson on a subpar team is going to put up 20ppg or close to it. On a contending team, he can be a Jeff Green type scorer where he averages solid numbers all around.

I don't see how anyone can compare to previous signings. It makes no damn sense to me. Denver would have had to give him 40 to 50 million but it's not good if Toronto does it?

Anyhow, I'd love to get Barbosa on the Knicks as a rental but salaries won't match any trade.

Well, the figure projected earlier like a month ago was a little over 4 million per year. Assuming in the range of 9-10 million per year like I think you're stating, I doubt the Nuggets do that.

dtmagnet
02-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Let's see, money, starting role, big city. Do you think players will only sign on a title contender?

The Final Boss
02-27-2012, 10:06 PM
"Look up , Marlon, say cheese."

king4day
02-27-2012, 10:20 PM

Thank you. I read the first page of posts and was shocked at the responses.

Chandler isn't a superstar but he's gonna get probably close to 10-12 mil a year. If any team wants to take him from Denver they will need to at least offer that.
He's a really good player too. People act like it's easy for Toronto to pull in all-stars. The Raps can put a team together that's defensive minded and hope to make a Pistons 04 run if they're lucky.
Their coach could use a player like him and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't he play good D? He could be a perfect fit.

FriedTofuz
02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
chandle is good but he is not a star. Toronto will et beter but they wont become a contender adding good players and not great ones.

North Yorker
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
chandle is good but he is not a star. Toronto will et beter but they wont become a contender adding good players and not great ones.

It's all about gaining assets. You can't just expect them to sign Deron or Dwight.

They need to stockpile young talent, establish a winning culture, and then try to make a big trade/signing that could put them over the top.

Chandler is an asset, and a good fit for the Raps. If they move Calderon they are gonna have a lot of cap space, might as well use some of it on a player who fits the team and coaching style.

spreadeagle
02-28-2012, 12:39 AM

Put it to ya this way..Bos has a possibility of falling off soon and rebuilding,Orlando could lose Dwight and go into rebuild mode.NJ loses D Williams and doesnt sign Dwight they are done for a while. The Knicks..who knows but im still not convinced they are a force. Pacers and Philly are good but not power house type teams,the east is so WIDE OPEN gimme a starting 5 of Calderon Derozan Chandler Bargnani Valanciunas with a bench of Amir Johnson Ed Davis Bayless another lotto pick this year,why would the Raps not want to make that move? they are not gunna get Dwight or Williams

spreadeagle
02-28-2012, 12:40 AM

+1 Chandler is a huge upgrade from Barbosa but Barbosa can give a contender 13-15 points off the bench in a final contract year...win win

Punk
02-28-2012, 01:29 AM

Philly, Denver and Indiana all want to meet you in an alley.

THE MTL
02-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Trade barbosa to the lakers for the trade exception. Lakers get PG, barbosa gets to start for first time in career (i think could have been a starter back in his phoenix days if wasnt playing behind Nash), and Toronto gets to give my boy Wilson Chandler big money.

THE MTL
02-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Calderone-Derozan-Chandler-Bargnani not a bad core for any team in the NBA.

latinofire21
02-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Put it to ya this way..Bos has a possibility of falling off soon and rebuilding,Orlando could lose Dwight and go into rebuild mode.NJ loses D Williams and doesnt sign Dwight they are done for a while. The Knicks..who knows but im still not convinced they are a force. Pacers and Philly are good but not power house type teams,the east is so WIDE OPEN gimme a starting 5 of Calderon Derozan Chandler Bargnani Valanciunas with a bench of Amir Johnson Ed Davis Bayless another lotto pick this year,why would the Raps not want to make that move? they are not gunna get Dwight or Williams

I halfway agree with you. I dont think NJ will retain Williams or land Dwight. I think the Celtics will stay competitive by trading their pieces and start collecting young assets. Phili will stay strong and in my opinion can get stronger with more chemistry and better defined roles. I think you discredit the Knicks a little too much there but we are division rivals so I am not shocked that you underestimate them.

With Chandler Toronto could be a good team but with Torontos inability to land big names I clearly see them overpaying for Wilson Chandler. I dont think the Nuggets will match an offer higher then 12 mil and I think Toronto will pay him borderline like a max player just to get him to sign there.

With Chandler they could be another Phili team next year but with the East getting stacked it really depends on where Dwight and Williams land to really consider Toronto a force in the east. If they pair up in NJ thats more tough divisional games. Wouldnt want to be Toronto facing the Knicks, Sixers, Celtics, and Nets in that scenario.

smith&wesson
02-28-2012, 02:00 AM

Chandler isn't a superstar but he's gonna get probably close to 10-12 mil a year. If any team wants to take him from Denver they will need to at least offer that.
He's a really good player too. People act like it's easy for Toronto to pull in all-stars. The Raps can put a team together that's defensive minded and hope to make a Pistons 04 run if they're lucky.
Their coach could use a player like him and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't he play good D? He could be a perfect fit.

this.

OT Thriller
02-28-2012, 03:47 AM
Lol at people who don't understand how smaller market teams operate and look absolutely ridiculous in this thread.

lakersfan01
02-28-2012, 03:57 AM
2nd rd pick

Sadds The Gr8
02-28-2012, 04:03 AM

If he costs that much, then I don't want him.

smith&wesson
02-28-2012, 04:12 AM
If he costs that much, then I don't want him.

im thinking more like 8-9 mill a year..

Mcdoh
02-28-2012, 04:38 AM
i would love to have barbosa on a lakers jersey..

faridk89
02-28-2012, 04:52 AM

:facepalm: First of all which all star is willing to come to Toronto to play? Second of all we have a centre coming in from europe who we drafted this year coming into our system next year... Jonas Valanciunas

Maybe before blindly bashing a team you should read up on the teams current situation, thanks bud...

Sly Guy
02-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Calderon (Kidd)
Derozan (Terry)
Chandler (Marion)
Bargs (Dirk)
Valuncianus (Chandler)

I'm a Toronto fan, but Derozan is no jason terry. Besides, Dallas had far more depth than we do, especially scoring punch off the bench not limited to Jason Terry.

Sly Guy
02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
I know, i live in those forums lol ... need more realistic expectations from jonas over all from our fan base. look at how they rip derozan apart, theyll do the same to jonas if he doesnt live up to the hype they created for him. remember him being compared to hakeem ? i mean cmon.

yeah, pretty ridic. Anyone who knows anything about bball knows big men take time to develop anyway.

smith&wesson
02-28-2012, 02:44 PM

so you like chandler but toronto is foolish to go after him ? right.

bargnani playing sick this year, too bad he is injured.

you really just dont know what your saying do you ? straight up hate from the bottom of your balls lol

spreadeagle
02-28-2012, 02:51 PM
for non Toronto fans no one is getting hyped here to pay this guy 11 12 million,I bet most teams will offer him 7 or 8 "thad young type deal" and Toronto may have to give him a 5 yr 45-50 million..a lil overpaid but really who cares WE NEED A SF BAD dont make me watch Rasul " Tripod" Butler jack up bricks anymore

wmudford
02-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Raptors: PHX 1st, Shannon Brown, Robin Lopez
Celtics: Leandro Barbosa, Grant Hill
Suns: Paul Pierce, Ed Davis

Nash/Price
Dudley/Redd
Pierce/Childress
Morris/Frye
Gortat/Davis

Raptors- Gets rid of Barbosa's contract and gives them 8M in cap space to sign Wilson Chandler which is their goal, while also obtaining a nice pick.

Celtics- Gives them added depth with Hill replacing Pierce in the lineup and former 6th man of the year Barbosa behind Allen. Maybe this gives them a spark to stay in the playoff race. If not they go in to total rebuild with Allen, Barbs, Hill, and KG all coming off the books. Maybe in the running for Howard.

Suns- This is a pro-Nash trade. We resign him for two years. Hopefully this puts us back in the playoffs with an 8th seed this year. If not we have a Big three (kinda) of Nash/Pierce/Gortat. Who knows maybe we can convince Ray-Ray or KG to come here with their buddy for a run and the best medical staff in the NBA to prolong their careers. Ed Davis is a nice piece and an upgrade over Lopez. Thoughts?

Chronz
02-28-2012, 03:03 PM

I dont get that comparison, Detroit won a chip by getting All-Stars at a discount, they had Chauncey and Ben Wallace barely making the kind of money you want to throw at a guy who basically amounts to their Tayshaun Prince. I think your better off passing IMO. Maybe Im too much of a #'s guy but the salary determines everything for me, I would take him for the max of 8M per.

Bob_at_york
02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Raptors: PHX 1st, Shannon Brown, Robin Lopez
Celtics: Leandro Barbosa, Grant Hill
Suns: Paul Pierce, Ed Davis

Nash/Price
Dudley/Redd
Pierce/Childress
Morris/Frye
Gortat/Davis

Raptors- Gets rid of Barbosa's contract and gives them 8M in cap space to sign Wilson Chandler which is their goal, while also obtaining a nice pick.

Celtics- Gives them added depth with Hill replacing Pierce in the lineup and former 6th man of the year Barbosa behind Allen. Maybe this gives them a spark to stay in the playoff race. If not they go in to total rebuild with Allen, Barbs, Hill, and KG all coming off the books. Maybe in the running for Howard.

Suns- This is a pro-Nash trade. We resign him for two years. Hopefully this puts us back in the playoffs with an 8th seed this year. If not we have a Big three (kinda) of Nash/Pierce/Gortat. Who knows maybe we can convince Ray-Ray or KG to come here with their buddy for a run and the best medical staff in the NBA to prolong their careers. Ed Davis is a nice piece and an upgrade over Lopez. Thoughts?

I don't think the Raptors or Celtics get enough. You say the Raps get 8 mil in cap space but that is not true. You have them trimming their payroll by maybe 3 mil.

PacersForLife
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
I could see the Pacers just taking Barbosa as a salary dump for Toronto. I don't really like the guy though...

masTOR_shake1
02-28-2012, 03:13 PM

and baseball, and football if you count nearby buffalo :sigh:

Chronz
02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
I have no problem giving chandler 8 mill a year. he fits our team very well. bargs is a below average rebounder at the 4, chandler is a good rebounder at the 3. derozan is better at driving to the basket, chandler can play off the ball and open the floor up with his range.

and yes chandler is a pretty good defender which is somthing we lack and have been needing for years. jj has emerged as a good defender for us, but im pretty sure we can have more then one above average defender. also chandler can gaurd 3's & 4's and some times even 2's.

toronto doesnt have any max player contracts at all. so this would not ham string us in any way. we have a bunch of vets min guys signed to one year deals and they will all be off the books next year(a.carter, maglore, gray, r.butler)

ALSO keep in mind that toronto has a very difficult time attracting free agents. its not like we can save that money and throw it at someone else. wilson has expressed a willingness to join our team which is rare.

we have demar derozan, ed davis, & james johnson on rookie contracts. next year we will have jonas and another draft pick. thats a total of 4 guys on rookie contracts for atlast one season. then you cut the vet guys i mentioned above and you have a very very young team with ALOT of cap flex.

this signing wouldnt be bad for the team at all. im all for it. barbosa gets 7 mill a year to chuck. wilson at least provides more then just scoring.
Hes an upgrade on Barbosa and has some potential, not the worst signing, but when I see the word "aggressively pursue" Im thinking MAX type dollars. Hes not that guy. But at a 8-10 range hes a solid signing, to get him from Denver I can see the need to go for 12 but every million you overspend shortens your margin for error when constructing your team

Sadds The Gr8
02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
I dont get that comparison, Detroit won a chip by getting All-Stars at a discount, they had Chauncey and Ben Wallace barely making the kind of money you want to throw at a guy who basically amounts to their Tayshaun Prince. I think your better off passing IMO. Maybe Im too much of a #'s guy but the salary determines everything for me, I would take him for the max of 8M per.

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying. They've been overrating the crap out of Chandler for weeks in the Raptors forum. I like him as a player but he's not as good as people here say he is.

Bob_at_york
02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
I could see the Pacers just taking Barbosa as a salary dump for Toronto. I don't really like the guy though...

for a draft pick. Sure.

spreadeagle
02-28-2012, 03:17 PM

hes a chucker but has good 3-5 min spans off the bench where he can drop 10 points super quick.. its his last year on his deal and Pacers are looking to add players..what could Pacers give back though would they give a future first rounder and whoever to make sallaries match?

wmudford
02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't think the Raptors or Celtics get enough. You say the Raps get 8 mil in cap space but that is not true. You have them trimming their payroll by maybe 3 mil.

Raps currently have 4.3 M in cap space. This trade gives them 3.3 M more so it's actually 7.6 M. So basically your saying a 2012 Lotto pick and Wilson Chandler aren't worth Barbosa and Davis? Celtics might hold it up but it does give them quality talent to replace Pierce and puts them in total rebuild around Rondo. Why would they want to build around a 35 year old Pierce?

Bob_at_york
02-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Raps currently have 4.3 M in cap space. This trade gives them 3.3 M more so it's actually 7.6 M. So basically your saying a 2012 Lotto pick and Wilson Chandler aren't worth Barbosa and Davis? Celtics might hold it up but it does give them quality talent to replace Pierce and puts them in total rebuild around Rondo. Why would they want to build around a 35 year old Pierce?
I don't want to really get into the Chandler debate but overall, yes I don't think it is a fair deal for the Raptors.

Byronicle
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM

I highly doubt BC pays more than 8 million per year

It is obvious that BC is building the team around his man crush in Andrea Bargnani. Chandler is a good rebounder and he will compensate for Bargnani's lack of which makes sense for the signing however Bargnani is making 10million per year, why would he pay a player more money than the player he is building around? Chandler is just a piece to the team built around Bargnani, and if he is going to demand more than that, why wouldn't BC make the cheaper option and just draft a SF in this year's draft then?

I dont think Denver wants to dish out 8million on a backup and I don't believe BC will throw more than that type of money that people are fearing since 1. he will be making more money than our go to player and 2. there are cheaper options coming up in this year's deep draft.

PacersForLife
02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
hes a chucker but has good 3-5 min spans off the bench where he can drop 10 points super quick.. its his last year on his deal and Pacers are looking to add players..what could Pacers give back though would they give a future first rounder and whoever to make sallaries match?

Well we have $14 Mil in cap so I don't think matching salaries would be an issue. Also the most you're probably gonna get from Larry is a 2nd round pick straight up for Barbosa. If we are going to use a 1st rounder I assume it will be on a guy like Kaman....
Also, I like Barbosa's scoring ability it's just the fact that Barbosa and Granger don't have a pretty past. I'm sure being on the same team they will set aside their differences.

spreadeagle
02-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Well we have $14 Mil in cap so I don't think matching salaries would be an issue. Also the most you're probably gonna get from Larry is a 2nd round pick straight up for Barbosa. If we are going to use a 1st rounder I assume it will be on a guy like Kaman....

Depends how close Chandler is to actually signing,if he is close then BC will give Barbosa away for penuts I would guess, but if not we need him as a good bench player this year and maybe resign

spreadeagle
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
There has been some talk of Chandler signing overseas for the year and then maybe Den doing a sign and trade with Toronto, I would assume for either Ed Davis or Amir Johnson since one of those guys is disposaple with all our PF's..Denvers GM use to work for Tor and Colangelo I bet there will be a lil deal brewing where Denver gets a nice player back and T.O makes sure they get Chandler

Byronicle
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Also, I like Barbosa's scoring ability it's just the fact that Barbosa and Granger don't have a pretty past. I'm sure being on the same team they will set aside their differences.

JO and Haslem didn't have a pretty past either or Kobe and Artest, but it all comes down to being competitive on the court and winning. players will put aside petty quarrels if it helps them to win games

PacersForLife
02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
JO and Haslem didn't have a pretty past either or Kobe and Artest, but it all comes down to being competitive on the court and winning. players will put aside petty quarrels if it helps them to win games

Very true.

joeym
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM

i can't stand Colangelo.

yeah I was just thinking that barbosa is really a pretty good
player to just to be gotten rid of like this.....

spreadeagle
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM

why dont Barbosa n Granger like each other..Barbosa didnt bang his wife to did he lol!? like he did poor old Nash's wife

Jint.
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Lakers would be a good fit.

PacersForLife
02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
why dont Barbosa n Granger like each other..Barbosa didnt bang his wife to did he lol!? like he did poor old Nash's wife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH8CtmzvPKU

smith&wesson
02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Hes an upgrade on Barbosa and has some potential, not the worst signing, but when I see the word "aggressively pursue" Im thinking MAX type dollars. Hes not that guy. But at a 8-10 range hes a solid signing, to get him from Denver I can see the need to go for 12 but every million you overspend shortens your margin for error when constructing your team

No way he gets max money from anyone bro. no way. we may be over paying at 10. im really hoping for 8-9 max.

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Haha, I remember when he was Ny trash. Now it's Shumpert and Melo lol... Guys like Chandler can fit on any team... He's such a nice player and a good kid

uprightciti
02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
toronto would be so freaking stupid to not trade the house and grab wilson freaking chandler

that dude is a top 5 small forward
in this league

pairing him with an explosive player like derozen would be a +10 win team right out the gate

WAYNEBO
02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Would be happy for Ill Will to get paid and go where he can just concentrate on balling. He's young, unselfish and only going to get better.... wish him well where ever he lands (except Celts and Heat).

Bob_at_york
02-28-2012, 04:32 PM
toronto would be so freaking stupid to not trade the house and grab wilson freaking chandler

in this league

pairing him with an explosive player like derozen would be a +10 win team right out the gate

Lebron
Durant
Melo
Pierce
Chandler?

Sadds The Gr8
02-28-2012, 04:34 PM

in this league

HUH?:eyebrow:

smith&wesson
02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I dunno about top 5, probably top 10.

smith&wesson
02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
lebron
durant
melo
iggy
deng
pierce
granger
gay
gwallace
gallo
chandler ?

maybe not top 10 either lol

ghettosean
02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I've been talking wheeling and dealing all season and here we go... This is no rumor Chandler was here and B.C wants him here NOW! Hope this works out though i'll be semi sad to see barbosa go.

Hugbees
02-28-2012, 05:07 PM
LOL Toronto not going after the first pick after all.

ghettosean
02-28-2012, 05:07 PM
I dont think toronto usually attracts good talent, if chandler is interested in playing there, the raptors have to what they can to get him. They better not pay him more than 10 mil a year tho. This.... I live in Toronto and players especially stars don't like coming to this far off foreign country unless we drop some dough but Raps will be respectable if notu a really good team next year. 2 draft picks next season (one of them doing very well overseas in Jonas) with a healthy bargs who was playing like an all star... well be ok... anyway on my way home from work and my dogs are getting restless..... got to jump on my sled... yaaaaaaaa!!!

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2012, 05:12 PM

Calderon < Kidd
Derozan < Terry
Chandler < Marion
Bargs < Dirk
Valuncianus < Chandler

I fixed that up for ya! I can see 9th in the east. lol

spreadeagle
02-28-2012, 05:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH8CtmzvPKU

awesome,never saw or heard of that somehow....Man James Johnson and Reggie Evans would have destroyed Granger and Mcroberts in a brawl, I think JJ is like a blackbelt ufc guy or somthing and Evans is just a goon lol man im glad we got rid of Triano and PJ worst coaching staff ever

smith&wesson
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
ya james johnson would have 8 their food.

BHF
02-28-2012, 06:13 PM
yeah the ufc black belt LOL

IBleedPurple
02-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Turk/Kleiza/others as well.....I understand they are small market and have to overpay, but you have to choose carefully.

spreadeagle
02-28-2012, 07:03 PM

lmao ok I should have put "or" in there

smith&wesson
02-28-2012, 08:29 PM

He just meant he does mma and is a black belt in karate and kick boxing. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=5684982

BHF
02-28-2012, 08:48 PM
He just meant he does mma and is a black belt in karate and kick boxing. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=5684982

i know im just joking with him :)