PDA

View Full Version : Thibs' Genius All-Star Weekend?

LongWayFromHome
02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Is it just me or is Tom Thibodeau beginning to seem very Belichick-like in his using every opportunity to gain an edge?

In the All-Star game he played Rose 18min and Deng 5min (I know he "fell"). He played Lebron, Wade, Melo, Howard 30+. He drew up a play for Deron Williams at the end when Lebron was red hot. Then he had Lebron in-bounding at the end (trying to make him mad?).

Result - Rose and Deng get a lot of rest / Knicks, Heat best players don't.
- I think it is stupid for people to make such a big deal about Lebron passing on the shot (cause it is only and All-Star game). But you have to admit, that interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Tu2TpXShY sure made it look like Lebron got in his own head as a result of everything (Kobe's comment included).

All in all I think Tom Thibodeau is a genius and was intentional about all of it.

Thoughts?

Hawkeye15
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I thought the same thing honestly.

SteBO
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Yup, a real genius. But in the end, does it really matter? It's just one of the quirks of being a coach at the All-Star game....No big deal really.

Gibby23
02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
he mind ****ed Lebron by drawing up the D will play and then him inbounding the ball. Put that with Kobe telling him to shoot, Lebron was pissed off.

mjt20mik
02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
He gave the main all-stars about 31- 32 minutes. Not that much. He drew up a play for Deron Williams (who was very hot in the end) that resulted in a wide open shot for him. The second play (not too sure if was intended for Wade) was most probably just a heave. Not sure if the coach and the players wanted the game to go into OT.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
:laugh2:

Yea, I thought the same thing.

Big Zo
02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah, they're gonna be so tired when they have to play again 4 days later...

Sinestro
02-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Thibs is always 4 steps ahead of everyone....
That being said I doubt it, Rose and Deng just came back from injuries and LeBron and his skill set is made for the All star game

Master Mind
02-27-2012, 05:15 PM
I guess Scott Brooks isn't a genius :shrug:

Vincent
02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Or maybe you're reading too much into it.

I think LeBron and Wade asked to be put back into the game. Which then led to Howard being asked to be put back in.

Rose with his back/toe and Deng with his wrist wasn't coming back in just because Thibs didn't want to use them for a meaningless game.

The play Thibs drew up for Deron was pretty good. He was wide open, just missed it.

LeBron was a good decoy, grabbing two defenders. If that shot went in, LeBron would've been somewhat of a hero. So I don't think he was setting LeBron up for failure.

However, the last second shot, I probably would've inbounded it to LeBron

NYY 26 to 7
02-27-2012, 05:18 PM
This happens every year and never has an effect on the rest of the season.

raiderfaninTX
02-27-2012, 05:18 PM
jesus bulls fans are nuts

Seriously talking about how your coach is great because how he coached an all star game

please the butterfly effect of the minutes the heat played so in the playoffs they become exhausted and all the media will point to the all star game and say boom look at this awesome forward thinking.

ManningToTyree
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the box score and the minutes played by Rose and Deng. I just assumed that is something most allstar coaches would do. :shrug:

raiderfaninTX
lets start a thread about how much of a genius carmelo anthony is for not working out in the off season and coming in out of shape so he could save his energy and he will hit his peak in the playoffs

again great thinking in the nba forums

ManRam
Yeah. Smart move. Doubt it will change anything down in the road, but he did what everyone AS coach should do with their players - not play them.

"Genius"?...no. ANd he's definitely not the first to do it...not even close.

king4day
02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Possible but I think we're really reaching here. Rose woulda been the one to 'fall' if it were fake.

kdspurman
02-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Nope... lol

Hawkeye15
02-27-2012, 05:33 PM

nobody cares about it unless it involves Bron dude. :p

CubZwin38
02-27-2012, 05:35 PM

Seriously talking about how your coach is great because how he coached an all star game

please the butterfly effect of the minutes the heat played so in the playoffs they become exhausted and all the media will point to the all star game and say boom look at this awesome forward thinking.

Hey Dbag...the OPer was not a Bulls. The only guy who has posted from Chicago said people calling Thibs a genius based on this are reading too much into it. So shut your @%! #amn mouth.

THE MTL
02-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Is it just me or is Tom Thibodeau beginning to seem very Belichick-like in his using every opportunity to gain an edge?

In the All-Star game he played Rose 18min and Deng 5min (I know he "fell"). He played Lebron, Wade, Melo, Howard 30+. He drew up a play for Deron Williams at the end when Lebron was red hot. Then he had Lebron in-bounding at the end (trying to make him mad?).

- I think it is stupid for people to make such a big deal about Lebron passing on the shot (cause it is only and All-Star game). But you have to admit, that interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Tu2TpXShY sure made it look like Lebron got in his own head as a result of everything (Kobe's comment included).

All in all I think Tom Thibodeau is a genius and was intentional about all of it.

Thoughts?

How about he played the actual good allstars who were going to win him the game. Rose is still coming off an injury anyway, but the star PG of the East was clearly Deron last evening.

As far Luol Deng, he looked outclassed out there. Every allstar game, you have the real superstars like Lebron, Kobe, Melo, and then you have the second-rate stars who made it solely cause of their team's record.

If Bulls werent that good, he wouldnt have been on the team, but Derrick Rose would always make it.

Btw, I doubt playing 30 minutes in a no-defense allstar game is really going to wear guys out especially considering they have monday off as well.

As for the Thunder's head coach, he was trying to give his boys the MVP award. He specifically let Durant play the whole 1st quarter and left Westbrook in at crunch time? lol.

raiderfaninTX
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey Dbag...the OPer was not a Bulls. The only guy who has posted from Chicago said people calling Thibs a genius based on this are reading too much into it. So shut your @%! #amn mouth.

u mad bro?

ok just to appease you thibs is the greatest coach ever better than jackson better than riley and better than auerbach

are you happy now?

CubZwin38
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
How about he played the actual good allstars who were going to win him the game. Rose is still coming off an injury anyway, but the star PG of the East was clearly Deron last evening.

As far Luol Deng, he looked outclassed out there. Every allstar game, you have the real superstars like Lebron, Kobe, Melo, and then you have the second-rate stars who made it solely cause of their team's record.

If Bulls werent that good, he wouldnt have been on the team, but Derrick Rose would always make it.

Btw, I doubt playing 30 minutes in a no-defense allstar game is really going to wear guys out especially considering they have monday off as well.

As for the Thunder's head coach, he was trying to give his boys the MVP award. He specifically let Durant play the whole 1st quarter and left Westbrook in at crunch time? lol.

Deng fell on his bum wrist otherwise he would have gotten the same minutes as Pierce or Rondo...15 or so.

Outclassed? eh, didn't really get a chance to showcase anything. Second-rate star? Agreed. There solely because of his team's record? Hell no. Honestly, Deng's appearance seems to be just as much about his performance last year as it does this year. He deserved it last year just as much as this year. Don't know Deng if you think he's there because of the Bulls record. Unless you look at it as the Bulls have their great record in big part because of Deng.

CubZwin38
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
u mad bro?

ok just to appease you thibs is the greatest coach ever better than jackson better than riley and better than auerbach

are you happy now?

Is that remotely what I was saying? I wasn't talking at all about Thibs. In fact, I'm disagreeing with the original poster so if anything I'm saying Thibs isn't as good as people make him out to be. Would I take Thibs over most NBA coaches right now? Yes. Is he the greatest ever? Come on dude. I didn't come close to saying anything like that. Your second post was as dumb as your first.

bodupp311
02-27-2012, 05:52 PM

Typical NBA forum post. Not one "Bulls fan" claimed he was a genius and the OP isn't even a Bulls fan(I've never seen him post in the Bulls forum). Awesome reading comprehension.

CubZwin38
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Typical NBA forum post. Not one "Bulls fan" claimed he was a genius and the OP isn't even a Bulls fan(I've never seen him post in the Bulls forum). Awesome reading comprehension.

Exactly. It's just the insecurity of certain fanbases talking I guess. Just a little tired of Heat/Knick/Pacer fans acting like Bulls fans don't know jack in order to feel better about themselves and their teams.

This guy responds to my post with a "u mad?" line without acknowledging the fact that he made a completely baseless claim. Any true Bulls fan knows how good a coach Thibs. Especially, because they know Thibs didn't give a @#% about coaching the All-Star game anyways.

Sir Buckets
02-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Thoughts?
Yup, lol.

LeBron inbounding the ball was a win/win situation. Had LeBron taken the shot, he would have either missed it and ruined his confidence further, or made it and boosted his confidence. By having him inbound it, Thibs

- got in his head ("Why the **** am I inbounding it? He doesn't trust me? He's messing with me? This is bull.")

- made sure his confidence didn't go up. At worst, it would stay the same (he inbounds, someone else hits the shot).

:clap:

Kyben36
02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Yes and no, rose has back problems right now, and should not be over killing himself in the allstar game, Deng im not sure why he didnt play. if it was ententional, it was smart, but Im not possitive if it was. although, I do think Thibs actually made Defense a part of the allstar game for the first time. I think the East actually tried one defense a few times in that game.

bodupp311
02-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Exactly. It's just the insecurity of certain fanbases talking I guess. Just a little tired of Heat/Knick/Pacer fans acting like Bulls fans don't know jack in order to feel better about themselves and their teams.

This guy responds to my post with a "u mad?" line without acknowledging the fact that he made a completely baseless claim. Any true Bulls fan knows how good a coach Thibs. Especially, because they know Thibs didn't give a @#% about coaching the All-Star game anyways.

I know, and it's sad and it will never change. Basically we're just rattling our saber for no reason but stupidity deserves to be called out. I applaud you but then again us 'Bulls fans" aren't these ignorant homers we're made out to be. So we're well aware this crap goes on.

Cubs Win
02-27-2012, 06:12 PM
I thought about this as a possibility. But will the 15 or so extra minutes LeBron and Wade played in the ASG compared to Rose really have an impact when they meet in the ECF? I don't think so.

Gritz
02-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Dang cuh smart

sigh*

CubZwin38
02-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Oh and one more thing....don't EVER compare Thibs to Belichick.

knicks=love
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
thibs was smart by playing those guys a lot. i noticed that when i was watching, but as a knicks fan, i'm glad melo played a lot. since he's been injured lately, i'd like to have him out there getting in shape and testing his injuries instead of sitting out babying them.

knicks=love
02-27-2012, 06:27 PM
I thought about this as a possibility. But will the 15 or so extra minutes LeBron and Wade played in the ASG compared to Rose really have an impact when they meet in the ECF? I don't think so.

this, actually. and it's not like it was an important game too. i understand where everyone is coming from though. thibs basically put his non-players out there risking injury and saved his, but it's not like they were going 100% until the final 2 minutes or so.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-27-2012, 06:28 PM

To be fair, it can impact the rankings.

Playing them more could mean that they will be a bit more tired than normal and considering the Heat and Bulls are competing for first place, that extra mins can technically lead to losses on the Heat part giving the Bulls an advantage.

RCarlson85
02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Does it really matter that those guys played 30+ min in basically an exhibition game? They are still gettting a long break, especially for how compact the schedule has been. The Heat last played on Thursday and don't play again until this coming Thursday. So 30+ min of playing in a weeks span isn't going to matter.

Cubs Win
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Playing them more could mean that they will be a bit more tired than normal and considering the Heat and Bulls are competing for first place, that extra mins can technically lead to losses on the Heat part giving the Bulls an advantage.

Look at it this way. Rose played approx. 15 less minutes then those two in an exhibition game. The Heat have off until THURSDAY! The Bulls play games on Tuesday and Wednesday. Is this a conspiracy by the league to tire out the Bulls and get the Heat the #1 seed? :speechless:

See what I did there? :eyebrow:

nytunnelvision
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
i wonder how rose's competitive side took sitting out the end of the 4th tho... rose would never say anything about it, but i'm sure he wanted to be out there

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah, they're gonna be so tired when they have to play again 4 days later...

lol, for real. Not to mention thibs talked with each player about minutes...if wade said dont play me more than 30, then...

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
i wonder how rose's competitive side took sitting out the end of the 4th tho... rose would never say anything about it, but i'm sure he wanted to be out there

I dont think rose wanted to be there period, didnt look like he was having any fun out there. imo

theheatles
02-27-2012, 07:19 PM
genius? nah... intimidated by the rest of the east all stars? possibly

Cubs Win
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
I dont think rose wanted to be there period, didnt look like he was having any fun out there. imo

He did seem a little out of it. Perhaps frustrated to be playing with people who don't take the game of basketball as seriously as him. :shrug:

Master Mind
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
nobody cares about it unless it involves Bron dude. :p

But of course :p

PC
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
No point in not trying this tactic but at the end of the day, it's not going to make a huge difference. It's not like the All Star game's as physically demanding as a regular season game. Plus, the Heat and Knicks are going to have 3 days off before their next game so there's still plenty of time to get their rest

theheatles
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
He did seem a little out of it. Perhaps frustrated to be playing with people who don't take the game of basketball as seriously as him. :shrug:

or because he's the young kid that isn't as close in age as the rest of the all stars and because rose is kind of socially awkward still having that "going through puberty voice"

LGhost
02-27-2012, 07:31 PM

I think no defense makes it harder, running up and down the court just to watch someone chuck up the ball instantly, lots more full court running

Cubs Win
02-27-2012, 07:33 PM
or because he's the young kid that isn't as close in age as the rest of the all stars and because rose is kind of socially awkward still having that "going through puberty voice"

Yeah...no. I'm definitely going with what I said.

LGhost
02-27-2012, 07:33 PM

I don't agree, I'm sure Rose had everything to do with him not playing in the fourth... The game isn't about winning, Rose is Thib's player and Rose would be out there unless Rose asked otherwise

theheatles
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah...no. I'm definitely going with what I said.

so 9 of the other 10 all star starters don't take it as serious as Rose? the rest of the starters all were jamming as they walked through the smoke from the beginning and rose looked dumbfounded and disinterested

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Howard was pissing me off jacking up those 3's. rose, wade, bron, melo, and dwill were the only ones i saw really trying

Cubs Win
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
so 9 of the other 10 all star starters don't take it as serious as Rose? the rest of the starters all were jamming as they walked through the smoke from the beginning and rose looked dumbfounded and disinterested

I'm not saying you have or haven't. But have you ever played a sport seriously? I know when I do, it doesn't help to be bouncing around like a child 5 minutes before the start.

Rose just doesn't care if everyone notices who he is before the game starts; he'll let his play do the talking. He's not a talker, he's a winner. And he's quiet about it. I don't see why you're trying to twist that into a bad thing. :shrug:

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm not saying you have or haven't. But have you ever played a sport seriously? I know when I do, it doesn't help to be bouncing around like a child 5 minutes before the start.

Rose just doesn't care if everyone notices who he is before the game starts; he'll let his play do the talking. He's not a talker, he's a winner. And he's quiet about it. I don't see why you're trying to twist that into a bad thing. :shrug:

It's not, but this also wasn't a serious event...it was for the fans and its nice to see your favorite stars look like they are having fun. If rose broke out some moves, bulls fans would have bust a nut.

Cubs Win
02-27-2012, 08:12 PM
It's not, but this also wasn't a serious event...it was for the fans and its nice to see your favorite stars look like they are having fun. If rose broke out some moves, bulls fans would have bust a nut.

Oh I'm not arguing that it's not supposed to be fun. IMO, if LeBron wants to dance, go ahead, but if people think he looks like a goofball up there, they have the right to call him out for it. Rose just isn't going to change who he is, as a person or player for one game, and that is a very respectable trait.

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Oh I'm not arguing that it's not supposed to be fun. IMO, if LeBron wants to dance, go ahead, but if people think he looks like a goofball up there, they have the right to call him out for it. Rose just isn't going to change who he is, as a person or player for one game, and that is a very respectable trait.

true dat, everyone has fun in there own way.

bmd1101
02-27-2012, 09:03 PM

A bit more tired? Even with the ASG layoff? I think yall are reaching on this one.

Fnom11
02-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah. Smart move. Doubt it will change anything down in the road, but he did what everyone AS coach should do with their players - not play them.

"Genius"?...no. ANd he's definitely not the first to do it...not even close.

I really don't think much of it, he didn't do anything special. Deng played horrible for his 5 minutes of clock and Rose is coming off an injury. Everyone played really really really really bad for the East except for Wade Lebron Dwill and Rose so he left the hot players in, excluding Rose.

I mean they didn't even play that many minutes and they don't play again until Thursday.

Greet
02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
He should have given Rose a notepad and told him to watch DWill play. Now that would have been genius.

JEDean89
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
definite over analysis

Ezio
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
He should have given Rose a notepad and told him to watch DWill play. Now that would have been genius.

Title: How to play with a sucky team, sucky coach and still make the playoffs

oh wait...... Rose's 2nd and 3rd years.

DaBear
02-27-2012, 11:33 PM
I think his intention was just to rest Rose and Deng (keep their minutes low). So he was kind of forced to play LeBron, Wade, and Howard a lot. It worked well in both ways.

meloman1592
02-27-2012, 11:42 PM
So i guess scott brooks is an idiot since he played Durant so much...

Lidz
02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
So i guess scott brooks is an idiot since he played Durant so much...

No. He's actually smart for doing that. He helped Durant get that MVP trophy by playing him so much. He wanted him to get it. I believe he only sat him for a bit in the 2nd and let him play the rest of the game.

tbone2171
02-27-2012, 11:48 PM

You got something white hanging from your lip

justinnum1
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM

:laugh2::laugh::laugh2:

metsbulls1025
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM

Dry skin?

topdog
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Usually coaches don't want to play their own players a ton. I remember Flip Saunders telling Garnett it would be the least minutes that he'd ever played.

30 minutes isn't reall going to ruin anybody.

Kuya_Clive
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Dry skin?

No bro, it's obviously Jeremy Lin's band-aid

Raph12
02-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Lebron, Wade, Melo and Dwight are all great athletes and get a day off today, so I'm sure the minutes didn't hurt them. In the end, it was still an AS game, so I doubt anyone was too butthurt with the outcome, plus Dwight had a big party planned for Sunday night so I'm sure a few drinks later they thought nothing of it... Smart plan if it holds true though.

Hugbees
02-28-2012, 12:25 AM
the playing time doesn't matter too much, it's all-star break. These games also don't take as much energy as a normal one. The players he played are who the fans wanted to see the most.

FriedTofuz
02-28-2012, 01:29 AM
yeah like it will matter with 4 days of rest..

metsbulls1025
02-28-2012, 01:47 AM
He was a genius long before this.

Ezio
02-28-2012, 01:49 AM
Howard wanted to play with DWill. Deng fell on his hurt wrist, fear of swelling. Rose does not care for these kind of games, glad the fans vote for him. This game suits Lebron and Wade but not 3pt chuckers, Howard.