PDA

View Full Version : Biggest 2007 #1 BUST....Jamarcus or Oden?

JaZzyJaTT
02-27-2012, 02:21 AM
I know I am crossing lines here between football and basketball, but I was just wondering what people thought of this question between two #1 overall picks that came out the same year.

Here's a little history on the both of them....

JaMarcus Trenell Russell. The Oakland Raiders selected Russell with the first overall pick of the 2007 NFL Draft. Russell held out until the Raiders signed him to a contract worth $61 million with $32 million guaranteed. In three seasons with the Raiders, Russell finished 718 as a starter before his release on May 6, 2010. His stats: For his career he had completed 354 of 680 passes, 52.1% completion rate for 4,083 yards with 18 TD's and 23 INT's.

Gregory Wayne Oden, Jr. On June 28, 2007, Oden was selected first overall in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Trail Blazers. He underwent microfracture surgery of the knee in September 2007, and missed the entire 200708 NBA season as a result. He recovered and made his NBA debut on opening night 2008. Oden, 23, has averages of 9.4 points (57.7% FG), 7.3 rebounds, 1.43 blocks and 22.1 minutes in 82 games (60 starts). He has notched 21 double-doubles and grabbed 10-plus rebounds 26 times. I am not sure of the terms of what Greg has made throughout his career, but he is still in the NBA under contract with the Blazers.

I could lay out more details about both players and how they set their franchises back, but I would love to hear your input, thoughts and decision on your respective choice...

My sources: Wikipedia, Yahoo, blazersedge.com, http://www.pro-football-reference.com

(Note: This has been re-posted in the NFL Forum)

LdotAdot
02-27-2012, 02:31 AM
Russel, easily.

He's a bum and addicted to sizzurp.

Oden, while always injured, at least puts in the work to making it back to the pro court.

bklynny67
02-27-2012, 02:34 AM
easily Russel. this shouldn't even be a question. Oden is a bust cuz of injuries. when he actually played a little he was playing well. Russel sucked from the start.

HouRealCoach
02-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Not close at all.. Oden played good while in the game

Russell just SUCKED

mjt20mik
02-27-2012, 02:48 AM
Not close at all.. Oden played good while in the game

Russell just SUCKED

This.

29$JerZ
02-27-2012, 02:54 AM
Oden was actually productive on the court and barring his injuries was worth his pick
Jamarcus's literally ate himself out of the NFL rather quickly and just was an example of wasted potential

It's unfortunate Portland loss both Oden and Roy but injuries happen. Jamarcus's was 100% self destructive So he is the bigger bust IMO

The goods
Not only did russel suck but he held out his rookie year and got overpaid man he is so so sorry with no excuse just a poor work ethic,oden is just alway injuried its not really his fault.

Fresno
Terrible comparison.

JaMarcus ruined his NFL career by being lazy, arrogant, & not doing what it took to be a team leader or even trying to improve as a QB. As a QB, he had a strong arm, but thats about it. He wasn't deserving of the #1 pick anyways.

Oden's played extremely well whenever he got out on the floor considering he was always playing hurt and hadn't gotten enough court time. The numbers he was putting up as basically a "raw" Center who didn't have any chemistry with his teammates or experience against opponents is better than some guys do for their career.

Oden put up 11 PPG 8 RPG 2 BPG in 23 minutes last time he played.

Per 36, that turns into 16.7 PPG 12.8 RPG 3.4 BPG.

If he ever gets healthy, he'll be a Top 10 C. We can only hope though.

When he comes back from missing 3 seasons due to injury it is worthy of some sort of award.

Cal827
02-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Jemarcus. Oden worked hard, but has been the unfortunate receiver of injuries.

It's quite funny since there were two franchise players drafted directly after them in Calvin Johnson and Kevin Durant :facepalm:

GunFactor187
02-27-2012, 03:06 AM
Russell had a chance, he f'd up. Oden actually put in the effort to have the chance to play but he wasn't able to. Biggest bust: Russell easy...

SportsAndrew25
02-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Jamarcus Russell is a bust because he was a bum that was unwilling to make himself better and could never stay in shape. Greg Oden has had injury problems and unlike JaMarcus, he cares and wants to play.

Lake_Show2416
02-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Russell is a bust at life

tyfreaks brotha
02-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Jamarcus.... Oden can at least ball when he's healthy (not much) but better then a worthless bum who doesn't deserve a spot on a roster. Hell maybe not even a practice squad...

THE MTL
02-27-2012, 03:57 AM
Well iono too much about football. But Kevin Durant was voted in as a starter and won the Allstar game MVP, while Greg Oden just had another microfracture surgery .....

Mr_Amaziing
02-27-2012, 04:17 AM
Russell is TURRIBLE! (Cleveland Brown's voice)

abe_froman
02-27-2012, 04:29 AM
cant believe this actually a thread...anyways the answer is easily russell

JaZzyJaTT
02-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Well iono too much about football. But Kevin Durant was voted in as a starter and won the Allstar game MVP, while Greg Oden just had another microfracture surgery .....

One of the arguments I was looking for...

todu82
02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Jemarcus Russell. Greg Oden was a good player until the injuries hit.

DaBUU
02-27-2012, 12:33 PM
I dont even consider Oden a flop or bust. The guy was never able to stay on the court, cant fault him for injuries.

sixer04fan
02-27-2012, 01:01 PM
While Jamarcus is the bigger bum, Oden is the bigger bust. But I think I just have a different definition in mind. Obviously Jamarcus is the worse player at his respective sport, and it's not necessarily Oden's fault he could never get it going.

Jamarcus wasn't supposed to be one of the great QB's to ever play the game. Oden was supposed to be one of the great centers to play the game. People were making comparisons to David Robinson and Hakeem. The expectations were much greater for him.

Nighthawk
02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
AWFUL comparison

Oden is considered a "BUST" because he cant stay healthy. If he were 100% he'd easily be a top 10 center in the league.

Russel on the other hand is a flat out BUM. Giving big time money to help the Raiders come out from the cellar and failed miserably. He sucks. Not good at all and proof of that is he isnt even in the league as a backup.

Oden, while injured often was still given a contract this year because of the "IF" factor with his health. IF he ever gets fully healthy he can still be a factor for the Blazers or any other team

NoahH
02-27-2012, 01:15 PM
JaMarcus Russell. At least Oden tried.

Nighthawk
02-27-2012, 01:16 PM
While Jamarcus is the bigger bum, Oden is the bigger bust. But I think I just have a different definition in mind. Obviously Jamarcus is the worse player at his respective sport, and it's not necessarily Oden's fault he could never get it going.

Jamarcus wasn't supposed to be one of the great QB's to ever play the game. Oden was supposed to be one of the great centers to play the game. People were making comparisons to David Robinson and Hakeem. The expectations were much greater for him.

POTENTIAL, POTENTIAL POTENTIAL

Go back and look at some of the stuff said about Russell and his cannon arm and his big bulk frame. Greatest QB ever? No-one was saying that... But people definitely had high high hopes for Jemarcus. Oden in college was a FORCE. And if he was healthy would be a top center and a beast in this league. You almost gotta give Oden a pass because he is injured. Russel just flushed his whole career away. WASTE