PDA

View Full Version : David Stern: "North America can't handle another team." What about Vanouver?

mrblisterdundee
02-26-2012, 05:30 PM
I was listening to the press conference with David Stern and Adam Silver and heard Stern say that North America couldn't handle another NBA team, already having 30. True; the United States is becoming more of an economic backwater every day, but what about our beautiful, rich, "Hollywood North" neighbors across the border, Vancouver, British Columbia? Maybe move one of those teams out of California, which is continually shrinking in population, up north.

1. There's an increasingly unparalleled concentration of wealth, buffeted by rich Chinese people streaming into Vancouver from Hong Kong ever since it went from British to Chinese control in 1996.

2. Vancouver has Rogers Arena, which only holds the Canucks hockey team and, since 2003, can seat 19,700 for a basketball game.

3. Vancouver has the largest Asian population of any city in North America most of them are wealthy Asians. Meanwhile, the NBA has been enamored with breaking further into the Asian market. Even if it isn't the biggest city, Vancouver's a gateway to Asia right over the fence from America.

4. "Hollywood North" is the third most filmed-in city in the world, after Mumbai and Los Angeles. It's a beautiful, glamorous locale that can easily draw big NBA stars.

5. Geographically, it's way closer than Stern's crazy idea of a team in Europe. It even has a name for the team and a cheerleader in Steve Nash (hell; make him the coach).

Corey
02-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Vancouver is part of North America. He said we're not adding teams in North America.

Where does this get blurry..

Raps18-19 Champ
02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
:laugh2:

I don't know what they teach you guys in school in the US but Canada is part of North America.

Though Vancouver would be a great spot for basketball.

tbone2171
02-26-2012, 06:24 PM
I was listening to the press conference with David Stern and Adam Silver and heard Stern say that North America couldn't handle another NBA team, already having 30. True; the United States is becoming more of an economic backwater every day, but what about our beautiful, rich, "Hollywood North" neighbors across the border, Vancouver, British Columbia?

:laugh2: Someone didn't pay attention during Geography class.

5ass
02-26-2012, 06:24 PM
im pretty sure he realizes that vancouver is in north america and hes doubting what stern said.

GoPacers33
02-26-2012, 06:27 PM
No he's right I don't count Canada as a part of North America :D jk

JayHunter
02-26-2012, 06:27 PM
If that is so then why did the Grizzles relocate

jon32
02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
If they got good ownership then yes. The reason they left in the first place was because they had the worst ownership in the history of sports. They could absolutly support a team.

utl768
02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
besides the already said canada is part of north america answers the nba wont return to vancouver because they already failed there

xILLN355
02-26-2012, 06:36 PM
If that is so then why did the Grizzles relocate

cause the guy who bought the team didnt want anything to do with vancouver

asandhu23
02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
oh for ****'s sake. :pity:

Vincent33
02-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Okay so yah, Vancouver is part of British Columbia, which is part of Canada, which coincidentally is part of North America. Stern didn't say anything about Mexico though!

Kidding of course.

JEDean89
02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
i think it would be cool for vancouver to get a team, seattle deserves one far more though.

IndyRealist
02-26-2012, 07:24 PM
They could move Charlotte, Washington, or Detroit to Seattle/Vancouver, then move Memhis into the Eastern Conference. It's just silly that a team east of the Mississippi is in the Western Conference. OKC to the Southwest Division, whatever team moves into the Northwest Division.

AWC713
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
nba doesnt need to add teams. they need to to either cut teams or relocate. make the league as a whole more competitive.

send the new orleans hornets back to charlotte. bam. charlotte hornets. send the utah jazz back to new orleans. bam. new orleans jazz. send the bobcats to utah. utah bobcats? or have them come up with a new name geographically significant to utah.

send the okc thunder back where they belong...seattle. they are and always will be the supersonics. not having this team in the nba is awful. and to appease okc, send them the sacremento kings, who are thinking of relocating anyways.

Gators123
02-26-2012, 07:43 PM
They could move Charlotte, Washington, or Detroit to Seattle/Vancouver, then move Memhis into the Eastern Conference. It's just silly that a team east of the Mississippi is in the Western Conference. OKC to the Southwest Division, whatever team moves into the Northwest Division.

:laugh2: Get real. Your Pacers would be moved before the Pistons would.

NBAkYD
02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
send the new orleans hornets back to charlotte. bam. charlotte hornets. send the utah jazz back to new orleans. bam. new orleans jazz. send the bobcats to utah. utah bobcats? or have them come up with a new name geographically significant to utah.

What would be the point of that?

mrblisterdundee
02-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Vancouver is part of North America. He said we're not adding teams in North America.

Hey smart one; I'm not doubting the geographical location of Canada. I'm disagreeing with Stern's assessment from the press conference. Chances are, if I know that China took control of Hong Kong in 1996, then I probably know that Canada's in North America.

k.smith904
02-26-2012, 07:56 PM
god i hate Stern.

Bring back the Sonics then kill yourself, David.

mrblisterdundee
02-26-2012, 08:01 PM
nba doesnt need to add teams. they need to to either cut teams or relocate. make the league as a whole more competitive.

send the okc thunder back where they belong...seattle. they are and always will be the supersonics. not having this team in the nba is awful. and to appease okc, send them the sacremento kings, who are thinking of relocating anyways.

I was thinking that since California's population is shrinking every year, let's take the Kings and move them up to Vancouver. California does not deserve four NBA teams, especially when the state government is writing its own people IOUs.

Corey
02-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Hey smart one; I'm not doubting the geographical location of Canada. I'm disagreeing with Stern's assessment from the press conference. Chances are, if I know that China took control of Hong Kong in 1996, then I probably know that Canada's in North America.
The Hong Kong Transfer occurred in 1997.

mrblisterdundee
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
The Hong Kong Transfer occurred in 1997.

Way to compensate for your previous ignorant comment by noting that I was a year off. I'm sure you had lots of fun looking that up that factoid on Wikipedia.

mgsports
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Minnesota belongs in Central,New Orleans in South,Washington in Altantic.
KC/St.Louis and Tampa Bay,New Jersey will get a Team before somebody else does.
Canada is a Country because in the Olympics has it's own teams.
At least Stern had one and Bettman didn't.

TmacBryant
02-26-2012, 08:25 PM
If they do make a team outside the US, I see many superstars that will try to veto their trades... I don't think any millionaire wants to move out of the US/Canada any time soon.

latinofire21
02-26-2012, 08:35 PM
They should add a whole new division in Europe and test the waters. They should allow current European teams to be incorporated in the league but from this point forward would have to follow NBA guidelines once the contracts are over. It would be interesting to see what teams would want to join the NBA. That or pull all the teams that are losing money and move them to Europe. No more teams in Canada. It failed in Vancouver and it isnt looking great in Toronto.

smith&wesson
02-26-2012, 08:43 PM
ya vancouver and b.c is a good place for sports. its real nice there. athletes would rather live there then toronto i be due to beautifull wheather and scenery.

spreadeagle
02-26-2012, 09:05 PM
No..they had there chancenow they go to bottom of the line,maybe 10 20 yrs from now,thats what you get for taking Big Country Reeves:D and im from Canada before anyone calls me a dumb american haha..also everyone in BC routes for the suns because of Nash and not Canada's only team the Raptors,that bugs me but I get it they were kind of rivals

Kevj77
02-26-2012, 09:27 PM
As long as Stern doesn't expand the NBA anymore I could see some relocations. He is right there are already too many teams. Seattle should get first dibs if they can get an arena built.

chitownbears89
02-26-2012, 09:49 PM
im pretty sure he realizes that vancouver is in north america and hes doubting what stern said.

Yeah pretty much the way I read it. I love it when people try to call somebody out on something and end up wrong, thus looking like complete idiots.

Hellcrooner
02-26-2012, 10:11 PM
stern has other ideas in his mind for expansion.

ideas that americans fans hate btw.

ncaa players better make sure they take Mandarin in their college subjects.

what date did they say the Douglas aircraft company say they would have their new plane ready that can go from Ny to tokyo in 3hours?

ManningToTyree
02-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Lol at this thread

MVP1
02-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Move a NBA team to china. China will take over US anytime now.

lakersfan01
02-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Did Stern say that "North America can't handle another team"? It's in quotations like he said that :laugh2:

tredigs
02-27-2012, 01:29 AM
stern has other ideas in his mind for expansion.

ideas that americans fans hate btw.

ncaa players better make sure they take Mandarin in their college subjects.

what date did they say the Douglas aircraft company say they would have their new plane ready that can go from Ny to tokyo in 3hours?

HellCrooner: Ambassador for the ill-informed thoughts of American fans since 2005.

tredigs
02-27-2012, 01:35 AM
By all accounts (including what Stern said in the interview), IF there is ever another league expansion, it will be a team to Europe, not Asia.

And there is no league expansion in the foreseeable years to come.

Also, they won't simply add one team to Europe. It will have to be at least two. And there is no way Stern wants to lose two NBA teams to Europe on his watch. Maybe in 5 years when Silver takes over.

Rego247
02-27-2012, 01:43 AM
They should add a whole new division in Europe and test the waters. They should allow current European teams to be incorporated in the league but from this point forward would have to follow NBA guidelines once the contracts are over. It would be interesting to see what teams would want to join the NBA. That or pull all the teams that are losing money and move them to Europe. No more teams in Canada. It failed in Vancouver and it isnt looking great in Toronto.

Of course you would post in this thread.

Explain to me how it "isn't looking great in Toronto"?

Confusious
02-27-2012, 02:01 AM
Of course you would post in this thread.

Explain to me how it "isn't looking great in Toronto"?
I live in Ontario. People don't give a **** about basketball. It's all about da hockey.

Pistol_Pete
02-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Well, Vancouver is in North America...

Seriously though, the NBA failed there once and Toronto doesn't seem to be a winner either. The problem is the talent is spread too thin currently. It's not necessarily because of the teams, but because players today are just athletes and not basketball players.

MickeyMgl
02-27-2012, 02:08 AM
I was listening to the press conference with David Stern and Adam Silver and heard Stern say that North America couldn't handle another NBA team, already having 30. True; the United States is becoming more of an economic backwater every day, but what about our beautiful, rich, "Hollywood North" neighbors across the border, Vancouver, British Columbia? Maybe move one of those teams out of California, which is continually shrinking in population, up north.

1. There's an increasingly unparalleled concentration of wealth, buffeted by rich Chinese people streaming into Vancouver from Hong Kong ever since it went from British to Chinese control in 1996.

2. Vancouver has Rogers Arena, which only holds the Canucks hockey team and, since 2003, can seat 19,700 for a basketball game.

3. Vancouver has the largest Asian population of any city in North America most of them are wealthy Asians. Meanwhile, the NBA has been enamored with breaking further into the Asian market. Even if it isn't the biggest city, Vancouver's a gateway to Asia right over the fence from America.

4. "Hollywood North" is the third most filmed-in city in the world, after Mumbai and Los Angeles. It's a beautiful, glamorous locale that can easily draw big NBA stars.

5. Geographically, it's way closer than Stern's crazy idea of a team in Europe. It even has a name for the team and a cheerleader in Steve Nash (hell; make him the coach).

Are you aware that the NBA already gave it a go in Vancouver and it failed? It wasn't even that long ago.

THE GIPPER
02-27-2012, 02:08 AM
I would love for this to happen since Im from Van but it wont happen until stern resigns/dies. And it wouldn't be expansion, it would have to be relocation.

THE GIPPER
02-27-2012, 02:12 AM
And if you look at the vancouver grizz. compared to the sacramento kings in attendance, its basically the same and vancouvers population has increased since then and the team was absolutely horrid when they were in van.

sac:
http://www.databasebasketball.com/teams/teamatt.htm?tm=sac&lg=n

van:
http://www.databasebasketball.com/teams/teamatt.htm?tm=Van&lg=n

heyman321
02-27-2012, 02:29 AM
I live in Ontario. People don't give a **** about basketball. It's all about da hockey.

That's not true at all. Hockey will always reign supreme because of the Leaf's history and Canada's history, but a lot of people care about basketball. Why do you think Raptors' attendance has always been good despite the Raptors suck ***? In fact, I freaking hate hockey. Such a boring game.

heyman321
02-27-2012, 02:31 AM
Vancouver could probably support a basketball franchise now. They only failed back then because expansion was new in Canada 15 years ago. Rogers Arena could totally support a full fledged team and they could use the money, and Raptors games are always sold out when they go there in the pre-season. Just move the Hornets there, their ownership status is getting pathetic anyways.

SportsAndrew25
02-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Vancouver has already been chosen and it failed.

DMasta718
02-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Well what do expect when Vancover was given a **** team with no future the first year? Of course it's going to fail. Nevermind the ownership was terrible.

GodsSon
02-27-2012, 03:52 AM
Why not just give one team to the North-West to be shared by both Seattle and Vancouver. Call them the North-West Sonics.

You capitalize on two markets close to one another, while also gaining a HUGE regional fanbase; it could be very profitable. Split the home-games according to home-stands and it has some legs.

Of course, it makes too much sense to ever happen.

Yunqn
02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Do people not understand that big name players dont want to play in canada ?

Like a chris bosh and steve francis. Guys want to play here ,doesnt matter where.. But thats just the truth..

imo not to offend anyone in char. But the bobcats are stuck in losing forever with jordan.. He doesnt know a thing and is going to bring that franchise down with his cheap mentality.

The bobcats should move to seattle and bring new orleans to the east and let n.o keep their team .. If n.o was winning players / fans would love that place look at the saints..

The kings should stay an the clippers should get their own arena in the city.. The nets should have never left.. New jersey is just a poorly run'd franchise currently.. Brooklyn is better for alot of reasons but new york is always home to the knicks.. Plus if im wrong correct me but i think theres no tax in jersey which couldve been a big lure for freeagents .. Like i said their just poorly being ran right now..

NoahH
02-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Even though David Stern said no more teams, and this is smart because there isn't enough good players to go around. If it happened, Vancouver would be a good spot. Vancouver got cheated out of their team by some terrible ownership and front office moves. They never put a winning product on the floor and during the Grizzlies' time in Vancouver the Canadian dollar was worth something like 66cents which made it hard to survive. David Stern has said the failure of the NBA in Vancouver is one of the things he regrets as a commissioner.

EDIT: Vancouver is overrun by hockey fans sadly tho. Basketball would fall in a very distant second to the NHL and maybe even third to the CFL!

Sly Guy
02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Even though David Stern said no more teams, and this is smart because there isn't enough good players to go around. If it happened, Vancouver would be a good spot. Vancouver got cheated out of their team by some terrible ownership and front office moves. They never put a winning product on the floor and during the Grizzlies' time in Vancouver the Canadian dollar was worth something like 66cents which made it hard to survive. David Stern has said the failure of the NBA in Vancouver is one of the things he regrets as a commissioner.

EDIT: Vancouver is overrun by hockey fans sadly tho. Basketball would fall in a very distant second to the NHL and maybe even third to the CFL!

Every Canadian city is overrun by hockey, but it doesn't mean they can't survive. New York doesn't oust the Rangers because the Knicks are also in town, it wouldn't be any different for a city the size of Vancouver.

Besides, given the chance basketball grows very well on Canadian soil, the raptors have been pretty crappy by in large since their inception as well, but they're still well supported in the city and are not going anywhere.

I'm love to see another team in Vancouver/Seattle. They've got some good fans out there who didn't get a fair shake. But to the OP, don't put Vancouver in the 'Europe in North America' category, that belongs only to Montreal, he only city in North America which remotely resembles anything in continental Europe.

C_Mund
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Vancouver has already been chosen and it failed.

....so I assume that everybody with this opinion would oppose a team ever going back to Seattle as well?

JasonJohnHorn
02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
I voted yes, but I'm not 100% on this. They had a team before and things didnt have a very good ending, though I do believe the move to Memphis was a little to quick. The team wasnt even there for a decade. But being in Canada, I know that basketball is a hard sell to a lot of Canadian. I love basketball, but I am in an underwhelming minority (though I'm from Ontario and cant speak for BC).

I think its worth a shot, down the road, but I don't think the league could handle expansion right now. I'd like to see the NBA develop a sister league in Europe and then have a series with the NBA champs against the Euro champs, though I dont think it would be much of a contest for the first ten years. If the Euro teams can make money by being an NBA affiliate league and run a longer season than they currently run, perhaps the talent will develop to fill both leagues.

I think just having one or two teams in Europe though is a bad idea.

How about Mexico getting a team?

masTOR_shake1
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM

+ 1

Lord Leoshes
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
NO

We do not need any more teams, in fact we need to get rid of a few of the ones we have now.
at least 6, to 8 of these small market teams, who unfortunately have cheap @$$ owners, those are the ones that need to go.

KaganRS
02-27-2012, 07:04 PM

apparently it became blurry when you failed to realize that he was implying Vancouver would be a good North American fit , despite Stern's dumb comments.

KaganRS
02-27-2012, 07:06 PM

Not really - I live in Ontario too.

Depends what city you're from.

mrblisterdundee
02-28-2012, 09:57 PM

Vancouver is overrun by rich Asians who care little for hockey. White Canadians are the minority in Vancouver. If the NBA wants to break into the Asian market, they can do it through that city. I don't think people even realize how much more tickets would go for in Canada, either. There's so many filthy rich people in that city. It literally has gas stations in the water for yachts; I've seen them.
Also, to be clear, I'm not talking about expansion. Take one of California's teams.

NoahH
02-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Vancouver is overrun by rich Asians who care little for hockey. White Canadians are the minority in Vancouver. If the NBA wants to break into the Asian market, they can do it through that city. I don't think people even realize how much more tickets would go for in Canada, either. There's so many filthy rich people in that city. It literally has gas stations in the water for yachts; I've seen them.
Also, to be clear, I'm not talking about expansion. Take one of California's teams.

Vancouver Canucks tickets are like $200 a pop. I swear to you. Luckily I dont like hockey.

COME BACK TO VANCOUVER. I'll buy season tickets all on my VISA.