PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Wojnarowski: All Star Weekend is an embarrassment

asandhu23
02-25-2012, 04:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nba/Y_Sports_NBA/28395905#nba/Y_Sports_NBA/28395905

xxplayerxx23
02-25-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree, the dunk contest is going to be a disapointment IMO

Avenged
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Agreed. It's called "All-star weekend" for a reason. But it's also a good thing to have people who deserve it participate.

JLynn943
02-25-2012, 05:09 PM
The events are great. The fact that the dunk contest, which is one of the key events, has the contestants it has? ...that's an embarrassment.

justinnum1
02-25-2012, 05:28 PM
looking forward to the 3pt contest and last quarter of the all star game when guys will actually be trying

NYtilIdie
02-25-2012, 05:40 PM
The dunk contest is a good way for lesser known players to make a name for themselves, EX: Fred Jones, Desmond Mason, Gerald Wallace, etc.

kozelkid
02-25-2012, 05:42 PM
It is. First time in a LONG time I'm skipping on the Saturday events.

ManRam
02-25-2012, 05:45 PM
every AS game in all the big 4 sports suck. the pro bowl needs to disappear completely. the mlb all star game is OK, but even though it "matters" it's still a snoozefest. the HR derby is a novelty that i really don't care for any more. hockey's is stupid too.

oh well. fans watch, it spreads the sport across to a wider population and it makes money. i probably will watch the 3-point contest because i want ryno to win...but that's really it. didn't watch a second of the rising stars game...

the dunk contest frustrates me to no end. i won't watch. i'll just catch the highlights the next day. that's all i need.

side note: dunking over/around a kia isn't a great feat.

"disgrace" is just an unfair word though. if you don't like it, that's understandable, but that doesn't make it a disgrace.

ink
02-25-2012, 05:45 PM
All Star weekend is a joke even if the stars DO participate.

The goods
02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
The dunk contest doesn't have much promise,the 3 point contest will be good, I have money on durant,and the skills challenge is always nice so it isn't to bad.

ink
02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
every AS game in all the big 4 sports suck. the pro bowl needs to disappear completely. the mlb all star game is OK, but even though it "matters" it's still a snoozefest. the HR derby is a novelty that i really don't care for any more. hockey's is stupid too.

oh well. fans watch, it spreads the sport across to a wider population and it makes money. i probably will watch the 3-point contest because i want ryno to win...but that's really it. didn't watch a second of the rising stars game...

the dunk contest frustrates me to no end. i won't watch. i'll just catch the highlights the next day. that's all i need.

"disgrace" is just an unfair word though. if you don't like it, that's understandable, but that doesn't make it a disgrace.

Agree. Disgrace is some politician opening bidding on his seat like Rod Blagojevich did. The ASG is too inconsequential for the word disgrace.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
There's no more fun personalities in the all-star game. They're all fake politically correct guys like Howard, LeBron, Griffin etc. (aka the new generation).

The Shaqs, Barkleys, MJs, Gary Paytons, KG personalities are basically gone (KG not going to make any more all star appearances).

It's boring, guys like Howard are ruining it with the trade talks and trying to be politically correct in their interviews.

It's flat out boring and has lost it zest. The commentary of the TNT crew and the other guys like Reggie, Kerr, CWebb etc. talking about the history of the NBA and the past all star games etc. is the most interesting part of all-star weekend.

The players of today, all goody goody with everyone, is just flat out BORING!

Slimsim
02-25-2012, 05:53 PM
yup i agree

Fnom11
02-25-2012, 05:57 PM
If Kevin Hart wasn't in the Celeb Game that would've been completely horrible too. I don't really understand why this is stretched through so many days.

ChiSox219
02-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Couple tweaks need to be made, that's all.

The dunk contest needs to be judged by the same committee every year, not a rotation of former players that show little consistency.

Of course the current judges are pointless anyway because the contest is decided by a fan vote, scrap that idea.

I would expand to 6 players but that's not a priority. It would be great if the participants were all similar in size and position that way you eliminate guys like Nate Robinson stealing contests because he's short. One year do all bigs, the next only wings, after that points and combos.

I hate the idea of forcing players into the dunk contest and I think it's unlikely the league can create enough incentive. I had no problem with last year's pool of players and they produced amazing dunks. This year's is under the radar again. It might be best to just choose 6 guys that are in the rookie challenge and let the fans vote for the 4 they want to see

jiggin
02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
only part I like is the 3 point contest...seems non-rigged and where some no namers can become known.

rest of it, a joke...more like the popularity contest and stars trying to get attention fest...

WVNowitzki
02-25-2012, 06:33 PM
If Kevin Hart wasn't in the Celeb Game that would've been completely horrible too. I don't really understand why this is stretched through so many days.

Oh man you actually thought that guy was funny? His schtick got real old, real quick.

ink
02-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Couple tweaks need to be made, that's all.

The dunk contest needs to be judged by the same committee every year, not a rotation of former players that show little consistency.

Of course the current judges are pointless anyway because the contest is decided by a fan vote, scrap that idea.

I would expand to 6 players but that's not a priority. It would be great if the participants were all similar in size and position that way you eliminate guys like Nate Robinson stealing contests because he's short. One year do all bigs, the next only wings, after that points and combos.

I hate the idea of forcing players into the dunk contest and I think it's unlikely the league can create enough incentive. I had no problem with last year's pool of players and they produced amazing dunks. This year's is under the radar again. It might be best to just choose 6 guys that are in the rookie challenge and let the fans vote for the 4 they want to see

If no legit players want to take part in the contest it's kind of obvious the fad is done. It hit its height with Carter and now no real NBA star wants any part of it. The writing's on the wall. Let it go.

If some ACTUAL NBA star wants to resurrect it they will.

still1ballin
02-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Then don't watch

JWO35
02-25-2012, 08:23 PM
NBA All Star Weekend is equivalent to the best NFL Players playing flag-football(basically their Pro-Bowl) or MLB Players playing T-Ball for their All Star Match...

Giraffes Rule
02-25-2012, 10:24 PM

I disagree about the MLB all star game, personally. I always really enjoy it, mostly because it's hardly any different from a normal baseball game. Just with better pitching.

But yeah, this weekend is suck.

LakersIn5
02-25-2012, 10:31 PM
it is called ALL STAR WEEKEND! id rather watch less deserving stars compete than to watch deserving role players.

i like the cast for the skills challenge, all of them has a name and you could argue that all of them are stars (maybe except for john wall but he is still popular)

id rather watch durant, dirk, kobe, ray, pierce, melo in the 3pt contest and
lebron, wade, dwight, blake in the dunk contest.

b0nk
02-25-2012, 10:53 PM
blake's dunk last year was basically a KIA commercial
oh, and the dunk was whack

Steel76ers
02-25-2012, 10:54 PM
blake's dunk last year was basically a KIA commercial
oh, and the dunk was whack

Lol when they replayed it I thought it was.

steelcityroller
02-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Yeah this was the worst dunk contest in the history of the event....