PDA

View Full Version : How can the NBA improve All-Star weekend in the future?

NYSpirit1
02-25-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd argue that this is the worst NBA All-Star weekend of all-time.

A lot of lesser players made the All-Star team, there are a bunch of scrubs in the dunk contest and even the 3 point isn't that good. It's a disservice to the fans and to the league having this crappy of a game and contest.

First of, they need to stop with the Jeremy Evans of the leagues in the dunk contest. They need to revert back to a three round format, with two dunks in each round and have like 8 dunkers who are all stars. For example, they need to force LeBron, Wade, Durant, Griffin, Howard, Rose, Westbrook and Amare in the dunk contest. It's ridiculous that they can't get all these guys to do it at once, rather opting for Howard and scrubs or Griffin and scrubs. When they had Francis, McGrady and Carter doing the contest in 2000, it was absolutely huge.

Secondly, they need to have all stars in the three point too. I know Durant did it is this year, but having Dirk, Durant, Pierce, Melo, Ray Allen, Kobe, Love and others in it at the same time would amp up the competition.

They also desperately need a 1 on 1 contest with all the stars in it. Do you know how big of ratings that game would be if Kobe was facing LeBron? Egos here would be a problem and players wouldn't want to get shown up, but it's too much of an opportunity for the NBA. Players would actually get really competitive here, because you'd have to bet that Kobe would want to beat LeBron.

The skills challenge with the top point guards is about the only thing they run right, because somehow they manage to get stars there. The rookies and sophomores is actually a good touch.

Lastly, I think if they have all that, they need to have something focused on role players. Any ideas?

And also, the "I don't want to risk injury" excuse from players is pathetic. I've never seen a player get injured doing any competition on All-Star weekend, so I don't know why players bother saying that.

VinceCarter
02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Easy.....make it worth home court in the Finals for the side that wins. Just like MLB All Star game.

Hugbees
02-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Hell no you don't want your players playing hard for an allstar game. Imagine if those rules were set for this season? Players are already half dead as it is..lmao and injury risks too. Make it 2 days instead of 3, or 1 entire day of events starting in the afternoon. 3 days is ridiiiiiiiiiculous. There's no way i'm sitting by a tv 3 straight nights to watch an ok event.

idrinkpepsi
02-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Easy.....make it worth home court in the Finals for the side that wins. Just like MLB All Star game.

Oh god... no.

*Silver&Black*
02-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Dunk Contest:

Dwight Howard
Josh Smith
LeBron James
Blake Griffin

There, fixed.

ACanadian
02-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I dont think Kobe would be able to do a Dunk Contest anymore... he's in his early/mid 30's and has been in the league for almost 2 decades

I want LeBron, Rose, DD and John Wall in a Dunk Contest

RaffyBoy
02-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh god... no.

why not? the game would actually mean something. Right now, no one cares who wins because they get nothing out of it, but if you had home court of the line, everyone would play harder, and it would be a closer game.

JC_
02-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Because of the short season there's not as much hype but i'm still not sure how you can even consider it the worst all-star weekend when most of the stuff hasn't even happend yet.

That being said one thing I think can improve the dunk competition is allowing a couple guys who aren't in the nba to join it. IMO people just want to see cool **** and if you add a couple and1 dudes the show would be that much better already.

xILLN355
02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Because of the short season there's not as much hype but i'm still not sure how you can even consider it the worst all-star weekend when most of the stuff hasn't even happend yet.

That being said one thing I think can improve the dunk competition is allowing a couple guys who aren't in the nba to join it. IMO people just want to see cool **** and if you add a couple and1 dudes the show would be that much better already.

nah

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Do away with it all together. I don't think this new generation has the personality to put a good showcase that MJ, Shaq, Barkley, GP, KG, Kobe etc. used to put on in the past.

No more excitement.

Too many goody goody and politically correct soft personalities in the league.

sunsfan88
02-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Fans should vote who gets in on the Dunk contest & 3pt shooting contest.

todu82
02-25-2012, 07:03 PM
I think they should can it altogether. I mean it doesn't even matter to a lot of people anymore.

topdog
02-25-2012, 07:14 PM
1. Get rid of the WNBA/geezer challenge thing. Maybe replace it with HORSE Twister (spin a wheel to see what shot you have to make) or 21.

2. Keep fan voting but put in market bias protections and change ballot to "select 1 pg, 2 wings and 2 bigs."

3. Put some good defenders in the rookie-sophomore game and don't let Shaq pick.

4. Make dunk contestants agree to participate sooner and have a panel of player judges - the top dunker from each team casts his vote to decide the winner.

JC_
02-25-2012, 10:26 PM
nah

They would probably own most nba dunkers which would make the competition more exciting.

Steel76ers
02-25-2012, 10:52 PM
They can make people vote for who they want in it.

LongWayFromHome
02-26-2012, 01:53 AM
Award dunk contest winner 3million dollars. Then stars will do it and try hard.

passittome
02-26-2012, 02:45 AM
IF you have a max contract, make $12mill/yr +, or are part of a pool of 8 rising stars (frosh soph) you become part of a fan voting for who they want to see participate in all star saturday night. if selected you must be part of it. only need to appear in one all star event for life of the contract. if you defend the slam dunk crown for 2 years you get $1mil, 3 years. automatic free agency. jk.

Master Mind
02-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Will......Ferrell

SA5195
02-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Have the dunk contest feature only All Stars.

Instead of having a bunch of no-bodies participate.

GOON MUSIC
02-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Have the dunk contest feature only All Stars.

Instead of having a bunch of no-bodies participate.
Which is what the MLB does, or used to do, I don't even remember ...

NoahH
02-26-2012, 03:55 AM

Doesn't help All Star Saturday now does it?

I love the one-on-one idea though.

LTBaByyy
02-26-2012, 04:03 AM
Only all stars compete in the events except for Rising Stars

It would make being an All Star mean something and entertaining

Sadds The Gr8
02-26-2012, 04:11 AM
add players that people actually give a **** about into the dunk contest

ajgmc59
02-26-2012, 04:52 AM
Bring in some street ballers to compete in the dunk contest. If you want to see some good dunks, watch these guys dunk in the link below. These guys were way more creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPoDz0PsKtY

kingsdelez24
02-26-2012, 05:07 AM
According to latinofire21, more Allan Houston comebacks

NoahH
02-26-2012, 05:34 AM
bring in some street ballers to compete in the dunk contest. If you want to see some good dunks, watch these guys dunk in the link below. These guys were way more creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpodz0pskty

these guys are waaaaayyy better

JasonJohnHorn
02-26-2012, 10:10 AM
I'd like to see the all-star weekend have an international team vs. a US team, to see the european guys against the American guys (Nash can play for the international team). I think that would be an interesting experiment.

Hellcrooner
02-26-2012, 10:37 AM
get rid of 3p dunk and skills.

make it a tournament.

semi finals saturday

Team USA VS Team NCAA
Team Nba Foreigners Vs TEam Euroleague

Sunday

3rd spot game

FInal.

folowing year team usa meets teem euroleague in the semis and nba foreigners vs team nccc.

the next one the semis are usa vs foreigners and ncca vs euroleague

and so on

kingsdelez24
02-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Its called nba all star weekend, not world all star weekend

Missing56&33
02-26-2012, 04:04 PM
All Stars should get totally involved with the All Star events. All Star weekend is just what its called, All Star Weekend. Players like Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard, and Lebron James should participate in the Dunk contest instead of guys like Jeremy Evans(non all star) and other guys. The All Star weekend is not time to relax , sit back, eat food and enjoy the weekend like you're a fan.......you do that **** on your own time and in the off season.

I was pissed off to see Lebron sitting court side with a hotdog watching the dunk contest. Guys like Dr J and Michael Jordan, come back as judges but they participated in the event faithfully.

I just don't understand Blake Griffin's comments that he's not going to bother with it this year, it's just something he's not interest in but he wants to sit up and watch the event and laugh have fun and critique the other participants. They aren't all stars :confused:

mavwar53
02-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Get some players who actually deserve to be there in the competitions.

3pt contest, get the some of the better 3pt shooters there, for example the #1 guy right now Brandon Rush at 52.4% instead of guys like Kevin Love or Durnat who shot 34.8 and 36.5% respectively.

Really the guy who wins the competition isn't even in the Western Conferences top 30 of 3pt %

As for the dunk competition, it needs some real stars or at least some popular players, not a bunch of guys that are 6'8" and should be able to dunk in their sleep, big guys are not impressive in a dunk contest, they are impressive in live action. If you can't get stars to compete just get rid of it for a few years so that the fans want it back and the stars want to finally put on a show.

I don't mind the celeb game some of these guys just want a chance to play on a real court with some players that they probably wish they were when they were in their prime hell if I was a celeb I'd want to go out there and play too. And the rookie game is fine, they are all out there to show off their athletic ability, there is no reason to have defense and to have fun, there is no reason to take a game like that seriously.

Young2Kinsler
02-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Get rid of it.

GoPacers33
02-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Dunk Contest:
3-Point:
Skills Challenge:
Shooting Stars:

What do you think. Remove it can't be an option.

GoPacers33
02-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Dunk Contest: Bring back judges
3-Point: Make it so you have make 3 shots at the rack and you can't move on until you make them and you still only have 60 seconds
Skills Challenge: Have a defender guarding them.
Shooting Stars: ?

LAKobeBryant
02-26-2012, 05:12 PM
dunk contest you got to have 3 attempt rule back. the timer is just stupid. like last year javale took 2minute do 1 dunk and got a 50, the dunk where he had 2 backboard and dunk same time.

Roy Rogers
02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Dunk Contest: Raise the hoop to 11 feet.

Implement fire. Danger always brings more entertainment

xILLN355
02-26-2012, 05:17 PM
have jackie moon host the festivities

Reyes6
02-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Dunk Contest: Talent, Judges, and rules would be nice
3pt Contest: It's fine.
Skills Competition: Replace with one-on-one contest of the superstars of the NBA, put some egos in check.
Shooting Stars: More difficult shots, it's embarrassing to see professionals miss open jumpers. I didn't know the WNBA still existed to be honest.

ghettosean
02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
I like Stephen A Smiths idea from ESPN which makes so much sense and would increase ratings in my opinion to a stupid crazy high. Why not have the fans vote on who should be in the dunk contest because there are never any star players in the dunk contest in almost forever we can count Blake in his ROOKIE season if we want but truth is everyone wants to see Lebron join the dunk contest but he shy's away every year or just teases the fans saying he's thinking about entering.

Why not have the fans vote on who they want in... I mean if you are already there for all star weekend is it too much to ask for you to do 2 or 3 rounds of dunks for the fans.

All star weekend is supposed to be about the fans and I think players and the NBA have gotten away from that a little.

Becks2307
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
all they need are stars, imagine if stars were doing the exact same dunks that the bums did last night we would have been much more hyped.

Lebron does that same jeremy evans dunk, its called the best of all time i bet, STARS make it exciting.

I love the 1v1 idea too

Lidz
02-26-2012, 05:26 PM
For the all-star game, you still let the fans vote the all-stars in, but instead of just putting them on Team East & Team West, you let the leading scorer in the all-star game from the West and the leading scorer from the East choose teams. That way, we can see how LeBron plays with Kobe as a teammate, how Howard plays with Kobe as a teammate, see LeBron and D. Wade play against each other again, etc etc. I think that'll be pretty dope.

onlythisfar41
02-26-2012, 05:27 PM
For the Dunk Contest bring back the judges. A lot of the fun is having someone throw down a crazy dunk and seeing some of the legends of the game, like Dr. J, vote on them.

Having the fans vote is just stupid because there is too much room for someone to be voted the winner based off of popularity, not the quality of the dunk.

Also like someone said above, you need to bring the 3 dunk rule back. 2 minutes takes away all of the beauty of the dunk if and when its finally thrown down.

Most importantly, you need to get household names to participate. I know this cant be done just by format, the players have to want to do it. So there isnt really anything you can do to fix this because its the players choice. Maybe offering a monetary incentive if you win, but the big stars could care less about the money.

I think the 3 point contest is fine as it is. You still get pretty good players participating, as well as getting less known people to fight against them which is fun.

The skills competition I dont have a problem with either, just wish the players would hustle more through. Again, nothing can really be done about player effort, but the format is fine.

Time2Dieeee
02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
shooting stars: instead of having a legend, a female, and a current player....have three of of the best current players in your team.

Take out Skills Challenge & replace it with 1on1: instead of dumb obstacles...have a one on one battle up to 11...for example, John Wall vs Deron Williams and the winner advance.

3pt shoot out: keep it, i like it

Dunk Contest: judges and fan votes....6 players, 3 rounds, AND fan votes on players to participate! *if fans vote on Lebron, he must participate! players only who made it to the all star game*

onlythisfar41
02-26-2012, 05:30 PM
I like Stephen A Smiths idea from ESPN which makes so much sense and would increase ratings in my opinion to a stupid crazy high. Why not have the fans vote on who should be in the dunk contest because there are never any star players in the dunk contest in almost forever we can count Blake in his ROOKIE season if we want but truth is everyone wants to see Lebron join the dunk contest but he shy's away every year or just teases the fans saying he's thinking about entering.

Why not have the fans vote on who they want in... I mean if you are already there for all star weekend is it too much to ask for you to do 2 or 3 rounds of dunks for the fans.

All star weekend is supposed to be about the fans and I think players and the NBA have gotten away from that a little.

I mean its a cool idea, but you cant force a player to participate if he doesnt want to. Even if the league did force them to participate if they were voted in, you would see a lot of players come up with "injuries" so that they could back out.

The NBA season is a long one, especially this year, and players value the ability to take a few days off to heal.

In my mind I just cant think of a legitimate way to get the big stars compete in the Dunk Contest. They just have to want to do it.

onlythisfar41
02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
shooting stars: instead of having a legend, a female, and a current player....have three of of the best current players in your team.

Take out Skills Challenge & replace it with 1on1: instead of dumb obstacles...have a one on one battle up to 11...for example, John Wall vs Deron Williams and the winner advance.

3pt shoot out: keep it, i like it

Dunk Contest: judges and fan votes....6 players, 3 rounds, AND fan votes on players to participate! *if fans vote on Lebron, he must participate! players only who made it to the all star game*

This would be awesome but it will never happen. For one thing, a competition like that would take up a lot of time and the saturday night festivities have to fit into about 2 and a half hours. Also this is an event that would take a lot of energy out of players and you would have people not participating just like they dont for the Dunk Contest.

Like Ive said, ultimately it comes down the the players just having the desire to be in these events. There is no real way to force them. The only thing that might draw the big guys in is if one big star decides to do it, then maybe the other ones will come in to challenge them.

ghettosean
02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
I mean its a cool idea, but you cant force a player to participate if he doesnt want to. Even if the league did force them to participate if they were voted in, you would see a lot of players come up with "injuries" so that they could back out.

The NBA season is a long one, especially this year, and players value the ability to take a few days off to heal.

In my mind I just cant think of a legitimate way to get the big stars compete in the Dunk Contest. They just have to want to do it.
I agree but the fan pressure should be enough to put the players in a bad spot to participate. Think about it this way....

Players do not have to play in the all star game but they do because the fans voted them in. I'm not saying lets force Lebron or Blake to go into the dunk contest I'm just saying let the results be shown that fans voted them as top players to enter the contest and that pressure should be enough to get them to enter/participate.

Lastly if someone like Lebron or Blake decide to fake an injury not to enter the dunk contest then they obviously will be too hurt to play in the all star game as well. I really think this idea of getting the fans to vote for who they want would work in the end.

SaimuKala
02-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Jeremy Lin
Jeremy Lin
Jeremy Lin
Jeremy Evans

Jeremy Lin
Jeremy Lin
Jeremy Lin
Jeremy Lin

mrblisterdundee
02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
We should riot next year if there isn't a dunk contest including a combination of Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Nate Robinson, Blake Griffin, Andre Igoudala, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook.
I hate the argument by the one announcer of this being the way young guys get their name out. You get your name out by 10 guys pouring over your in-game footage and deciding whether you're consistently good then you can get invited to the dunk contest.
Also, drop the fan voting for the dunk contest. It's already bad enough that the all-stars are chosen by the mostly clueless masses. Why should the dunks not be judged by experts like Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkins, Vince Carter and Jason Richardson?
Also, make the CEOs of the sponsoring companies at least pretend they have a personality while presenting awards to the players. Overall, the NBA is just continually proving what a snobbish, corporate entity it is, thinking the mostly ignorant sports fans will just continue to put up with it (which they most likely will).

onlythisfar41
02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
I agree but the fan pressure should be enough to put the players in a bad spot to participate. Think about it this way....

Players do not have to play in the all star game but they do because the fans voted them in. I'm not saying lets force Lebron or Blake to go into the dunk contest I'm just saying let the results be shown that fans voted them as top players to enter the contest and that pressure should be enough to get them to enter/participate.

Yea hopefully if Lebron got voted in, he would be too worried about people calling him a ***** if he backed out to actually drop out.

It would be nice if they implemented that rule, but I think player backlash towards Stern would be great internally if they heard he was going to do something like that. It just sucks that they value the time off more than the fans. I understand it, the NBA season is a grind and any time off is valuable, but it just sucks that it comes at our expense.

ghettosean
02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Yea hopefully if Lebron got voted in, he would be too worried about people calling him a ***** if he backed out to actually drop out.

It would be nice if they implemented that rule, but I think player backlash towards Stern would be great internally if they heard he was going to do something like that. It just sucks that they value the time off more than the fans. I understand it, the NBA season is a grind and any time off is valuable, but it just sucks that it comes at our expense.
Agreed.

mp3
02-26-2012, 05:45 PM
They need to have a 1 on 1 tournament. Do away with the stupid dunk contest. A 1 on 1 tourney would be awesome if there was like a million dollars on the line.

Lakeshow24KB
02-26-2012, 05:49 PM

Yes. I mean who the hell wanted to see Chase Budinger? No one...

Raps18-19 Champ
02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
They should make the NBA ASG worth like $1 mil to a charity of the winning team's choice.

That should make them more competitive.

SportsAndrew25
02-27-2012, 03:08 AM
Fans should vote for who is in the slam dunk contest. I am tired of seeing scrubs there every single year.

Pistol_Pete
02-27-2012, 03:25 AM
Simple. They need the stars competing in these events. Right now we have chumps competing in the 3point and dunk contests, even in the shooting stars contest. The skills challenge this year probably had the most talent of any event ever...but it's just a simple obstacle course and not very interesting over and over. They need stars in these events. If that means raising the prizes to $1million or something, they need to do it. They just need to have the top guys in there although the 3point contest wasn't too bad in terms of talent.

As for the shooting stars event, that's a great event, and the participants should probably be voted in by fans (excluding all-stars). They need to focus on up and comers, fan favorites, and team legends here.

Another thing I think that's important is the celebrity game. Who's in this game? A bunch of people no one knows and the secretary of education? They need star power here, if only so that the people involved can hype up the show.

I'll tell you what isn't the answer, this Kobe/LeBron coaching thing.

passittome
02-27-2012, 03:35 AM
We should riot next year if there isn't a dunk contest including a combination of Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Nate Robinson, Blake Griffin, Andre Igoudala, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook.
I hate the argument by the one announcer of this being the way young guys get their name out. You get your name out by 10 guys pouring over your in-game footage and deciding whether you're consistently good then you can get invited to the dunk contest.

dwight, nate, blake, and ai have already participated so that's not too disappointing. it would be nice if someone would get $2.014 mil for DEFENDING the crown. keep contestants coming back to participate if they win or for others to get revenge/overthrow the reigning champ. next year wish list of lebron, deandre jordan, gerald henderson, terrance williams (hou hosting), etc. leaving out josh smith, gay, ibaka, derozan who already participated before.

or an automatic opt out clause/one year off your contract. dwight, lebron, melo, etc all would've been in the dunk contest by now!

celmxc
02-27-2012, 03:47 AM
the players of the losing team at the All Star Game should be banned from the NBA for the rest of the season ... LOL seriously the Dunk Contest needs more star power

smiddy012
02-27-2012, 04:16 AM
They should start by not catering to twelve year olds with ******** women and half-clothed men shaking their ***** on stage. What a great ****ing example the NBA set with their musical acts. I'd be pissed off as **** if I had kids and watched it with them, I would then have to explain to my kids that this is what **** musiicians sound and act like. This is what whores listen to at the clubs and you have to be (or be perceived as) a whore with an average voice to make it big. Mary J Blige was good but that was the national anthem, sounded out of place compared to the shallow, commercialized crap that is passed off as artistry today. I suppose the NBA felt that anybody with a moral conscious was watching the Oscars. The NBA event planners/marketing team should be shot.

Gritz
02-27-2012, 04:38 AM
Too many busters, get rid of it

Hawkeye15
02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Simple. You have a 3-3 tournament with hot chicks wearing only lingerie.

tcav701
02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
top 4 or 8 PGs/wings players in a 1v1 tourney

NoahH
02-27-2012, 02:46 PM
HORSE and a 1on1 contest please!

Jint.
02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Fans should vote on who is in the dunk contest

Lebron
Griffin
Westbrook
Wall
Iggy

MagicHero3
02-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Will......Ferrell

this man has the right idea

MagicHero3
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Bring in some street ballers to compete in the dunk contest. If you want to see some good dunks, watch these guys dunk in the link below. These guys were way more creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPoDz0PsKtY

these guys are for real

MagicHero3
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
have jackie moon host the festivities

i like this trend

WeaponXXX
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Put the all-star game and all-star weekend activities on the same week of the NBA draft.

1) They won't jeopardize the current season.
2) If sustain a serious injury, they will have a few months to rest and heal

Make it into a 3 day tournament where the selected all-stars draft players on to their team out side of the players selected. Team of 9...

On draft night, you hold the Dunk Contest, Three PT, Skills, and that other one no one likes

WeaponXXX
02-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Fans should vote on who is in the dunk contest

Lebron
Griffin
Westbrook
Wall
Iggy

I like this. Fans should vote for people to go into the dunk contest and they can't refuse

MagicHero3
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
cant we just make lebron be in the dunk contest ONE TIME before he starts to lose his athleticism? i cant imagine the kind of dunks he can pull off in his prime right now...

Pistol_Pete
02-27-2012, 04:18 PM
...or an automatic opt out clause/one year off your contract. dwight, lebron, melo, etc all would've been in the dunk contest by now!

I don't know if you're joking or not, but this isn't an option. The NBA can't just say to individually owned teams "yeah, your star player can opt out of their contract a year early by being all-star weekend events." You just can't do that.

On top of that, most players don't really want to opt out of their contracts, they want long terms guaranteed max contracts. If they want to opt out, it's usually because their team is losing.