PDA

View Full Version : Barkley: Cousins Could Be Best Center in NBA

PleaseBeNice
02-25-2012, 01:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zva8StgQSko&context=C36d38a1ADOEgsToPDskJcGJTtEam3QW30HdSURXV5

I love how C Webb wants to start talking with DMC. LOVE IT.

And dont tell me this isnt thread worthy because I see threads on Shaq saying Bynum is the best and blah blah blah

Avenged
02-25-2012, 01:34 AM
I think people just want to see someone overthrow Dwight. It's like his dominance is getting boring because he's the only dominant Center there is.

SA5195
02-25-2012, 01:37 AM
I think people just want to see someone overthrow Dwight. It's like his dominance is getting boring because he's the only dominant Center there is.

This.

LTBaByyy
02-25-2012, 01:37 AM
He could be!

When he is focused he is amazing! He already avg 16 and 11

He has the potential to avg 24 and 10 if he plays with a Rondo/Rubio type PG, someone that only cares about passing and being a true point guard

LTBaByyy
02-25-2012, 01:40 AM
I wish someway he went to Celtics

Rondo, Green (he will resign), and Cousins would be an amazing trio to rebuild with

PleaseBeNice
02-25-2012, 01:40 AM
His scoring and rebounding would also skyrocket if 1) he stops with some dumb fouls, and 2)the refs called it fairly the whole game. We all know bigs get unfair treatment from the refs

DaLakerz Rulz
02-25-2012, 02:07 AM
LOL love the ending comment by Barkley to Shaq: "Omg you gave Dwight Howard a complement?!" :D

kozelkid
02-25-2012, 02:07 AM
He has the potential to avg 24 and 10 if he plays with a Rondo/Rubio type PG, someone that only cares about passing and being a true point guard

That's actually a good point. Hence the reason he was so dominant with Wall.

It doesn't help when you play alongside a blackhole like Tyreke.

PleaseBeNice
02-25-2012, 02:16 AM
That's actually a good point. Hence the reason he was so dominant with Wall.

It doesn't help when you play alongside a blackhole like Tyreke.

Because Reke is a 2. You, I, We, the whole world knew it. Idk why we tried cramming him into the 1. Cuz has been much better with Thomas running the point. And Tyreke isnt a black hole. He's dramatically increased his assist rate under Coach Smart and has actively looked to get other players going, almost to a fault at times. But he will be better as a 2 in the long run.

meloman1592
02-25-2012, 02:22 AM
He's easily the most talented big in the game. Dwight and Bynum are more DOMINANT...Dwight relies on athleticism and he's a helluva hard worker. Bynum has pretty good footwork and has a HUGE frame. Cousins has guard like movement and his form for a center is great. If he can get in real shape and stop letting the refs decide if he has a good game or not, he'll be the best C in the league. Unfortunately, he just seems like the type that gets too frustrated sometimes to care what his potential is..it's like he has this mental block that won't allow him to take criticism and work at it...reminds me a bit of Melo. We all know what he's capable of but he just doesn't get it done...cousins is young though. I'm pulling for him

*Silver&Black*
02-25-2012, 02:24 AM
I would love him on the Hawks. Horford and Cousins for the next decade down low.

The Final Boss
02-25-2012, 02:52 AM

He only looks good because there's only one other center in the watered down NBA.

DerekRE_3
02-25-2012, 03:06 AM
He has the talent/potential to be the best all around big man in the NBA. He didn't start playing basketball until 8th grade, he loved football. When he first started he couldn't even make a layup, a year later as a freshman he was on the varsity team and averaged 26 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists a game and shot 70 % from the field.

Lim
02-25-2012, 03:07 AM
yea maybe when dwight howard decides to hang it up

PleaseBeNice
02-25-2012, 03:21 AM
yea maybe when dwight howard decides to hang it up

Implying Howard can do something else other than rely on athleticism. I dont see the fascination with him really. Sure hes the best because of how weak the C position is now. But lets see him go against these guys in his prime, Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson...

fadedmario
02-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Monroe and Cousins are the only young centers in the league with star-potential. I like Cousins.

John Walls Era
02-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Yeah he could be. I was a fan since he was at Kentucky.

Lim
02-25-2012, 03:23 AM
Implying Howard can do something else other than rely on athleticism. I dont see the fascination with him really. Sure hes the best because of how weak the C position is now. But lets see him go against these guys in his prime, Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson...

he'd get eaten alive, whats your point? lets face it dwight is gonna be the best center in the league until he declines/retires. aka the next 6 or so years.

DerekRE_3
02-25-2012, 03:25 AM
he'd get eaten alive, whats your point? lets face it dwight is gonna be the best center in the league until he declines/retires. aka the next 6 or so years.

In 6 years Cousins will be just 27 years old...aka just entering his prime.

PleaseBeNice
02-25-2012, 03:26 AM

Respectfully disagree. Lets see when Big Cuz develops a refined post games and gets in top shape like Howard. i think cuz has the upper hand then. but he wont until he gets one of the two

Lim
02-25-2012, 03:40 AM
In 6 years Cousins will be just 27 years old...aka just entering his prime.

so?

Respectfully disagree. Lets see when Big Cuz develops a refined post games and gets in top shape like Howard. i think cuz has the upper hand then. but he wont until he gets one of the two

those are some big ifs.

Ebbs
02-25-2012, 04:00 AM
It's true by next year he could be better if he is focused.

Rndy
02-25-2012, 04:01 AM
I don't think he'd be better then Howard. But his talent is outstanding. He just needs to grow up and continue to get better. I don't know if it's coaching problems or it's just him but sometimes he just loses focus.

Center is a really weak position these days.

Bos_Sports4Life
02-25-2012, 04:14 AM
Howard>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cousins..it's not even close right now..

FG%- .436 vs .554

Win Shares- 1.9 vs. 5.3

DRtg- 103 vs 96

ORtg- 100 vs 113

Not only does he KILL cousins in advanced stats, he also has more points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals. Those 2 are not even in the same league as far as production goes, it's not CLOSE..

Also it doesn't matter who is "more skilled", that really doesn't matter at all. If you people want to go by "more skilled" than Mchale>>>Shaq

Teeboy1487
02-25-2012, 04:16 AM
Cousins will never become the best center in the league as long as Dwight is in the league. Keep dreaming Queens.

PleaseBeNice
02-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Howard>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cousins..it's not even close right now..

FG%- .436 vs .554

Win Shares- 1.9 vs. 5.3

DRtg- 103 vs 96

ORtg- 100 vs 113

Not only does he KILL cousins in advanced stats, he also has more points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals. Those 2 are not even in the same league as far as production goes, it's not CLOSE..

Also it doesn't matter who is "more skilled", that really doesn't matter at all. If you people want to go by "more skilled" than Mchale>>>Shaq

I dont recall anyone claiming Cousins is better right now. But thanks for the stats

PleaseBeNice
02-25-2012, 05:24 AM
Cousins will never become the best center in the league as long as Dwight is in the league. Keep dreaming Queens.

Thank you for enforcing the negative stereotype laker fans have.

And stop implying Cousins wont improve, or that howard will continually get better and never decline.

naps
02-25-2012, 05:36 AM
--If he stays healthy
--If he follows a strong work ethic
--If he changes his attitude (Seems to be a problem)

HE WILL BE THE BEST CENTER IN THE LEAGUE. His numbers are already astounding.

Leftcoast_yg
02-25-2012, 07:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zva8StgQSko&context=C36d38a1ADOEgsToPDskJcGJTtEam3QW30HdSURXV5

And dont tell me this isnt thread worthy because I see threads on Shaq saying Bynum is the best and blah blah blah

The key word is "could", and yes Cousins could be the best center in the NBA. So can Zaza Pachulia, Dseagana Diop, Marcus Camby, Chris Kaman, Spencer Hawes, Chuck Hayes.....with that said, this opinion is based on potential.

Jenceman
02-25-2012, 07:56 AM
He's the most inefficient center in the league...what 44% with 3 turnovers? Both disgusting numbers for a center.

YoungOne
02-25-2012, 09:51 AM

Rondo, Green (he will resign), and Cousins would be an amazing trio to rebuild with

I would like that :)

MonroeFAN
02-25-2012, 03:02 PM
His fg% is disgusting.

I dont think i could ever consider him an elite player shooting in the low 40's.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-25-2012, 03:14 PM

I would like that :)

Same here. But we'd probably have to give up Rondo for him.

PleaseBeNice
02-25-2012, 03:14 PM
His fg% is disgusting.

I dont think i could ever consider him an elite player shooting in the low 40's.

Do you consider kobe elite? hes shooting 43% if not dont mind my post

fadedmario
02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
lol man. For the record, I like Cousins. But to compare a SG's FG% to a center's FG% is not a very good argument.

Sadds The Gr8
02-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Kobe's not a Center...

Algmuskrats
02-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Best center in the league? Howard might have something to say about that.

Missing56&33
02-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I can understand why some would suggest that Cousins have the potential to be the best center in the NBA. He has good height, weight, hands and foot work. He's a very skilled big man with a high ceiling. So the same went for Eddy Curry when he first came into the league. Two big men (Centers) drafted high with high expectations.

Both guys have the same problem that will prevent them from being dominant and that's WORK ETHIC. Cousins is a lazy center that don't want to work hard and get an attitude when things don't go his way. He did come in shape at least but he's had weight and desire issues just like Eddy Curry had.

I think he can be good but he can and will always be the type of player that you could frustrate and take him completely out of his game.

kdspurman
02-25-2012, 03:47 PM
There aren't many skilled big men in the game anymore so this is definitely true. Dwight as great as he is, is not skilled. He's getting much better, but he should be scoring way more than he is.

JasonJohnHorn
02-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Sure. He's potentially the best C in the league, but in reality he is a douche bag. He's his own worst enemy. He could be like Karl Malone, or Derrick Coleman, I'm more inclided to believe he'll end up like Derrick Coleman judging from the way he behaves.

As mentioned, his FG% is awful. He's really got to bring that up if he expects any coach to run an offence through him.

AIRMAR72
02-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Sure. He's potentially the best C in the league, but in reality he is a douche bag. He's his own worst enemy. He could be like Karl Malone, or Derrick Coleman, I'm more inclided to believe he'll end up like Derrick Coleman judging from the way he behaves.
i agree but i hope not for his sakes cousin his really a good person but his skills does reminds lot of derrick coleman, cousin can make 3s take you off the dribble and post N toast he just need some guidance till he is fully mature mentally

Gators123
02-25-2012, 04:32 PM
If Dwight stopped playing defense. Maybe.

Bos_Sports4Life
02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I dont recall anyone claiming Cousins is better right now. But thanks for the stats

Stats are not even CLOSE though, so how is he projected too be as good/better if hes not even on the same planet??

Lim
02-25-2012, 04:52 PM
--If he stays healthy
--If he follows a strong work ethic
--If he changes his attitude (Seems to be a problem)

HE WILL BE THE BEST CENTER IN THE LEAGUE. His numbers are already astounding.

they are? when i look at his numbers the only impressive thing i see is rebounding. that's about it.

JLynn943
02-25-2012, 05:06 PM
DeMarcus is only 21 and in his second year, averaging 16.4 ppg and 11.3 rpg. In Dwight's second year, he averaged 15.8 ppg and 12.5 rpg. Their numbers are very similar in that respect. The big knock on Cousins is his FG%. This is largely because he still has not learned to use his body to impose his will upon people and force his way to the rim. If he did that, he'd get far easier shots. Instead, he still plays below the rim far too often. This is not something that should be hard for him to overcome. What he has going for him, though, is that he is getting these numbers largely through finesse and effort.

No one is saying that he's the best right now. However, watching his game, considering his age, and realizing what the flaws are, to deny that he has the potential to become the best seems absurd.

onlythisfar41
02-25-2012, 05:07 PM

What a stupid response. Kobe is a SG, he takes shots from all over the court. Cousins is a C that for the most part takes high percentage shots. A center should never be averaging less than 50%. Tyson Chandler for example is shooting over 70%. His offensive game is limited but when he does put up a shot he hits them frequently.

JLynn943
02-25-2012, 05:12 PM
What a stupid response. Kobe is a SG, he takes shots from all over the court. Cousins is a C that for the most part takes high percentage shots. A center should never be averaging less than 50%. Tyson Chandler for example is shooting over 70%. His offensive game is limited but when he does put up a shot he hits them frequently.

That's the thing, though. He doesn't take shots like most centers do. Even his close range shots he takes from too low all too often. When he figures out how to use his size to his advantage, the FG% will go way up.

CityofTreez
02-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I love it! The once doubters are now believers.

knicks=love
02-25-2012, 05:35 PM

43% for a guard is actually good. 43% for a big man is "why are you missing inside shots". big men should be over 55% at least, give or take a few.

THE MTL
02-25-2012, 05:36 PM
He has the potential to be yes. People will just always knock Dwight because of his lack of finesse big man post moves.

Jint.
02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
thats turrible

FarOutIos
02-25-2012, 06:03 PM
43% for a guard is actually good. 43% for a big man is "why are you missing inside shots". big men should be over 55% at least, give or take a few.

Depending on what type of shots a big man is taking... you are close to correct. Big men should average over 50% IMO... But there is a difference between the shots that Dwight takes and Cousins takes.

Cousins takes way more long range shots. So his % is going to be lower as a result. Luckily, this also leads him to shoot a better FT % than Dwight.

As a big Cousins fan, I will say that some of his bad shooting % can be attributed to shot selection. And another portion can be attributed to not being in top basketball shape. At times, he misses shots near the basket that he should be dunking. Once he gets in better shape, and learns to select his shots better, then he will be more than fine.

Luckily, I think that both will naturally improve with time.

DerekRE_3
02-25-2012, 06:06 PM
The Kings use him as a bail out option. When the shot clock is running down they throw it to him and hope he can do something. That hurts his field goal percentage. He does need to improve his shot selection, but he also doesn't get a lot of help from his teammates. He has one of the lowest percentages of assisted field goals for big men.

Sactown
02-25-2012, 06:56 PM
I can understand why some would suggest that Cousins have the potential to be the best center in the NBA. He has good height, weight, hands and foot work. He's a very skilled big man with a high ceiling. So the same went for Eddy Curry when he first came into the league. Two big men (Centers) drafted high with high expectations.

Both guys have the same problem that will prevent them from being dominant and that's WORK ETHIC. Cousins is a lazy center that don't want to work hard and get an attitude when things don't go his way. He did come in shape at least but he's had weight and desire issues just like Eddy Curry had.

I think he can be good but he can and will always be the type of player that you could frustrate and take him completely out of his game.

Not true. Simple as that. Also Cousins tends to get the better of Bynum and Howard when they play...

DerekRE_3
02-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Yeah anyone who describes Cousins as lazy is either out of their mind or doesn't watch him. You aren't ranked third in the NBA in offensive rebounding rate if you are lazy. He plays with a good motor.

MonroeFAN
02-25-2012, 08:14 PM

Seems like other users have answered this question for me.

Cousins is putting up some great numbers, he'll be a great player in this league. But he definitely has a ways to go with his efficiency.

I really don't think he's better than Monroe, not to turn this into another monroe vs cousins debate. But Chuck really ticks me off when he makes comments like this.

PS: ^signature, Justin Smith is one odd looking dude.

CousinsEvansDUO
02-25-2012, 11:03 PM
I cannot believe the blatant ignorance here on PSD. Do you morons even watch cousins play? He often uses a technique where he throws the ball PURPOSELY off the rim in order to establish better position and get the tip in. It's called having elite hands. Something guys like Karl Malone had. FG% doesn't mean anything when you are getting loads of offensive boards. If he misses and gets his own rebound why does it matter that he missed? That's right it doesn't. In turn it actually shows his hustle, passion and love. 90% of all players give up in shame after they miss a shot, cousins works his butt off to fly for the rebound. Nobody that weighs 270lb uses his feet better than cousins and that has been a testament all year long. I also can't believe how much people under-valuate the value of age. Cousins already is playing like an elite center. And he is 21 years old. Nobody has a higher ceiling than him.

Gritz
02-25-2012, 11:15 PM
"Maybe B, maybe"

MonroeFAN
02-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I cannot believe the blatant ignorance here on PSD. Do you morons even watch cousins play? He often uses a technique where he throws the ball PURPOSELY off the rim in order to establish better position and get the tip in. It's called having elite hands. No actually, it's called not being an elite post player. Something guys like Karl Malone had. FG% doesn't mean anything when you are getting loads of offensive boards. If he misses and gets his own rebound why does it matter that he missed? That's right it doesn't. In turn it actually shows his hustle, passion and love. 90% of all players give up in shame after they miss a shot, cousins works his butt off to fly for the rebound. Nobody that weighs 270lb uses his feet better than cousins and that has been a testament all year long. I also can't believe how much people under-valuate the value of age. Cousins already is playing like an elite center. And he is 21 years old. Nobody has a higher ceiling than him.

lol.

The kings are 11 & 22... I like them, I think they have a bright future, but to claim that he is an elite center (or even close to being the best is a bit much) He's 2nd in FGA does it still not matter? Karl Malone was a career 51% shooter, there are no similarities. People have said some very nice things about Cousins in this topic. But to answer your question, yes FG% does mean something, offensive rebounds are meaningless stats when you're dominating the ball on a losing basketball team.

PleaseBeNice
02-26-2012, 12:23 AM

What a stupid response. Someone else has already pointed out how Cousins isnt strictly a low post player. I ****ing hate how most of you people base your opinions off of **** that sounds like its just made up. How about you watch him first? He isnt low post all the time. And if you already watch him (doubting you do), maybe you should get your eyes checked. And to people calling him lazy? LMFAO. He lost a good amount of weight this off season and worked his *** off. Dont talk about stuff you dont know about.

PleaseBeNice
02-26-2012, 12:24 AM
lol.

The kings are 11 & 22... I like them, I think they have a bright future, but to claim that he is an elite center (or even close to being the best is a bit much) He's 2nd in FGA does it still not matter? Karl Malone was a career 51% shooter, there are no similarities. People have said some very nice things about Cousins in this topic. But to answer your question, yes FG% does mean something, offensive rebounds are meaningless stats when you're dominating the ball on a losing basketball team.

Lol it must've be nice being spoon fed a lot by a top 10 PG of all time.

Sactown
02-26-2012, 12:49 AM

Karl Malone is one of the greats to play the game, so let's not get to hasty. Like I said Cousins has a great work ethic regardless of what people say out of hate. He came into the season in better shape than he left the season last year and he's developed significantly. He's a 2nd year player who has a ways to go, but people who have seen this kid play consistently know he has star potential, and in his head to head match ups with Bynum and Howard has showed he can run with the big boys. I look forward to seeing how he plays for the rest of the season as he has averaged 20/11 this month

PleaseBeNice
02-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Karl Malone is one of the greats to play the game, so let's not get to hasty. Like I said Cousins has a great work ethic regardless of what people say out of hate. He came into the season in better shape than he left the season last year and he's developed significantly. He's a 2nd year player who has a ways to go, but people who have seen this kid play consistently know he has star potential, and in his head to head match ups with Bynum and Howard has showed he can run with the big boys. I look forward to seeing how he plays for the rest of the season as he has averaged 20/11 this month

I never said he wasnt. Just highlighting his good FG% had SOME part to do with playing with an all time great distributor like Stockton.

Sactown
02-26-2012, 12:55 AM
I never said he wasnt. Just highlighting his good FG% had SOME part to do with playing with an all time great distributor like Stockton.

I know what you're saying, but he's still the mail man, because he delivers

fadedmario
02-26-2012, 01:28 AM
I wish he played for the Pistons. A Monroe/Cousins frontcourt would be ridiculous. Monroe is capable of playing the 4, I think these two would compliment each other well - these two guys are the best young centers in the league. Kings fans should be happy with Cousins. YOu guys just need to start winning to keep him happy. I would say you need a PG but Isaiah Thomas looks pretty good. His only knock from me is that he's really short.

DerekRE_3
02-26-2012, 01:31 AM
I wish he played for the Pistons. A Monroe/Cousins frontcourt would be ridiculous. Monroe is capable of playing the 4, I think these two would compliment each other well - these two guys are the best young centers in the league. Kings fans should be happy with Cousins. YOu guys just need to start winning to keep him happy. I would say you need a PG but Isaiah Thomas looks pretty good. His only knock from me is that he's really short.

The fans who should be pissed are Warriors and Timberwolves fans. Warriors drafted Ekpe Udoh over Greg Monroe. Wow. And they have needed a big man for how long now? The Wolves drafted Wes Johnson over Cousins. Ouch. Love + Cousins with Rubio feeding them would be insane.

fadedmario
02-26-2012, 01:34 AM
The fans who should be pissed are Warriors fans. They drafted Ekpe Udoh over Greg Monroe. Wow. And they have needed a big man for how long now?

Worst front office in the league. They also failed to see Jeremy Lin was talented. I would hate being a Warriors fan right now.

fadedmario
02-26-2012, 01:35 AM
The fans who should be pissed are Warriors and Timberwolves fans. Warriors drafted Ekpe Udoh over Greg Monroe. Wow. And they have needed a big man for how long now? The Wolves drafted Wes Johnson over Cousins. Ouch. Love + Cousins with Rubio feeding them would be insane.

Agreed. I like Wall and still think he can be really good. But I honestly think Cousins and Monroe at least so far are the best players from that draft class.

tyfreaks brotha
02-26-2012, 01:38 AM

:nod:

DerekRE_3
02-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Agreed. I like Wall and still think he can be really good. But I honestly think Cousins and Monroe at least so far are the best players from that draft class.

I agree. There are a ton of good guards out there too, so while Wall is very talented, bigs like Monro and Cousins are tougher to find.

Before the draft I thought Cousins was the best player in the draft and had the most upside. I've been Boogie biased since before he was a King though. My favorite athlete of all time.

Both guys are going to be top big men in their primes.

fadedmario
02-26-2012, 01:41 AM
:nod:

Love Chris Webber man. I'm from Michigan and am in my 30's. I seen Webber play in his high school State Championship against Albion. I know you Kings fans should like him on here. If he wants to speak to Cousins - I hope Cousins listens. Webber was a great player for the Kings man.

Webber was my favorite player growing up. Fab Five 4 life!

DerekRE_3
02-26-2012, 01:44 AM
I would love Webber to coach Cousins up. They are pretty similar: great hands, passing ability, mid range game. Both had/have maturity issues early in their career.

The big difference is Cousins is huge (6'11 280) while Webber was probably 6'9 240.

fadedmario
02-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Webber before his injuries was flat-out nasty though. Go watch some of his college footage and some of his tape from his first year in the NBA. If it wouldn't have been for injuries - he would have been a lock for the hall-of-fame.

MonroeFAN
02-26-2012, 01:49 AM

:confused:

Did you read his post? I wasn't the one who originally brought up Karl's name. You guys are really just trying to start an argument here over nothing. The average NBA fan's concerns are spot on, the guy isn't an efficient player yet on the offensive side of the ball. Someone responds by calling people morons, and then continuing to say that FG% doesn't matter, and that he purposely pads his stats.

Sorry for taking offense to it. DMC has an extremely bright future a head of him. He's an impressive young player, I don't think anyone has disagreed with that.

DerekRE_3
02-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Webber before his injuries was flat-out nasty though. Go watch some of his college footage and some of his tape from his first year in the NBA. If it wouldn't have been for injuries - he would have been a lock for the hall-of-fame.

Oh absolutely, the fact that he still averaged 20 and 10 playing on one leg shows how great he was.

DerekRE_3
02-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Great John Calipari quote on Cousins:

"He has all of it. The size. The mind. If you pass (on) him in the draft, he will never forget. When he's 35 years old and still playing and he knows you passed on him, he will try to get 50 on you. That's his mentality."

John Thompson on Cousins:

You got too many butterflies and not enough bulls in the NBA. I would be happy as hell as an NBA coach and a guy come into the NBA with that reputation. I think you can calm down a fool before you can resurrect a corpse."

llemon
02-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Cousins: Barkley could the greatest PF in the history of the NBA.

Raph12
02-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Defensively, Cousins doesn't have the athleticism or defensive IQ to stay out of foul trouble, yet anchor a Top 5 defense.

Offensively, since Cousins prefers to take a wide array of shots, it hurts his efficiency/production. In fact, Cousins has been best when attacking the offensive glass and when spotting up; he shoots under 40% in post play and 37% in iso plays.

Having Cousins play with a great PG (like a Nash or Rondo) would open up his game (seeming as how his 1v1 game is pretty weak), but you forget that Dwight has never played with a good PG either (Jameer is not a good playmaker).

Conclusion, Cousins can be a great center but in order to surpass Dwight as the best center in the league, a lot of things would have to go right for Cousins and a lot would have to go wrong for Dwight.

DerekRE_3
02-26-2012, 03:06 AM
Defensively, Cousins doesn't have the athleticism or defensive IQ to stay out of foul trouble, yet anchor a Top 5 defense.

Offensively, since Cousins prefers to take a wide array of shots, it hurts his efficiency/production. In fact, Cousins has been best when attacking the offensive glass and when spotting up; he shoots under 40% in post play and 37% in iso plays.

Having Cousins play with a great PG (like a Nash or Rondo) would open up his game (seeming as how his 1v1 game is pretty weak), but you forget that Dwight has never played with a good PG either (Jameer is not a good playmaker).

Conclusion, Cousins can be a great center but in order to surpass Dwight as the best center in the league, a lot of things would have to go right for Cousins and a lot would have to go wrong for Dwight.

He doesn't block and won't ever block shots like Dwight, but he is very adept at taking charges, which to me are more valuable than blocks, since they guarantee possession and give a foul to the opposing player. Cousins leads the NBA in charges taken and while I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, he grades pretty well in defense according to synergy, especially for a young player.

As far as the fouling goes, he's gotten better as of late and is playing more minutes. When he is in his prime he may never be as good as a prime Dwight, but if he fulfills his potential he will be a more complete player and it will be close.

Raph12
02-26-2012, 03:33 AM
He doesn't block and won't ever block shots like Dwight, but he is very adept at taking charges, which to me are more valuable than blocks, since they guarantee possession and give a foul to the opposing player. Cousins leads the NBA in charges taken and while I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, he grades pretty well in defense according to synergy, especially for a young player.

As far as the fouling goes, he's gotten better as of late and is playing more minutes. When he is in his prime he may never be as good as a prime Dwight, but if he fulfills his potential he will be a more complete player and it will be close.

Yes but taking charges do not deter your opponent from attacking the basket (ie: no one is scared of attacking Big Baby when Dwight subs off). And according to Synergy, he ranks 182 in overall defense (0.84PPP) and 111 in postplay defense (0.93PPP). Not trying to block/alter every shot will keep his fouls down, but it won't help his team defensively. He doesn't have the athleticism to be an elite defensive force in this league, but defensive IQ could make him respectable at the very least. Btw he's averaging 28.6MPG in his last 5 games and 30MPG (3.9FPG) for the month of February.

If he meets his full potential, he can close the gap significantly, but I doubt he surpasses Dwight because of the intangibles Dwight can bring to a game.

Bos_Sports4Life
02-26-2012, 04:24 AM
* Howard has more Defensive win shares THIS SEASON in 35 games than cousins has TOTAL winshares in 113 career games.

* WS/48 through the age of 21 Howard was at .154, Cousins is at .043.

* Cousins Career ORtg is 96 while his DRtg is at 103. Dwight Howard through the age of 21 had a ORtgof 108 while his DRtg was at 102.

* Howards FG% through the age of 21 was .554 (15.1 ppg), Cousins is at .432 (14.8 ppg)

Wheres the comparison?

TMcC801
02-26-2012, 11:24 AM
DMC is showing a lot of promise this season, and has a great set of skills.. But is far from being the BEST big man in the game. He could eventually get up in the top 3 if he is focused on his game and works hard to be a better teamate and the defensive end, but it will be hard for anyone to pass up Dwight as the BEST big in the game.

aztr0
02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
He has the talent, but his head isn't always there... still quite immature with his behavior.

billy17
02-26-2012, 02:18 PM
I like the people arguing the now argument. NOBODY SAYS HES BETTER THAN DWIGHT RIGHT NOW! Nobody says hes more efficient..

Were talking about potential, and Demarcus has the potential to dominate. Kings fans have seen many flashes of it this season. What he lacks in vertical athleticism he makes up for in footwork, length and his hands. Have you seen this guy snatch balls? You saw him finish that oop in the ROOK/SOPH game. Hes a very misunderstood individual and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I think a lot of people would be surprised by his quickness. Hes also put a pretty good hurt on Dwight on both ends a couple times now..

Squad13
02-26-2012, 03:07 PM
What a pathetic FG%. LOL @ the kings fan comparing his field goal percentage to Kobe :facepalm: Bynum> Cousins. I think Cousins is a good player but he's not close to Dwight and Bynum is a better overall player too.

PleaseBeNice
02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
What a pathetic FG%. LOL @ the kings fan comparing his field goal percentage to Kobe :facepalm: Bynum> Cousins. I think Cousins is a good player but he's not close to Dwight and Bynum is a better overall player too.

Hahaha

Redskins10
02-26-2012, 10:40 PM
I've only seen one Kings game this year and DMC really showed some promise. The dude hit three back-to-back-to-back long jumpers (right above the 3 point mark). I know he shouldn't be taking those but I was in awe at his range, very few centers can shoot the ball that well.

lakersfan01
02-27-2012, 01:02 AM
He definitely has the skills and talent to be. The skill he has that Bynum and Howard don't have is the outside shooting. Depends how bad Cousins wants to be the best.

ManningToTyree
02-27-2012, 01:07 AM
He has all the potential in the world. I agree with Sir Chuck. However, his attitude has so far gotten in the way of his potential. If he can get his head on straight (big IF) There is no reason why he can't be the second best center in the league by the end of next season.

Gram
02-27-2012, 12:51 PM

CousinsEvansDuo did. :S

Gram
02-27-2012, 12:59 PM
I cannot believe the blatant ignorance here on PSD. Do you morons even watch cousins play? He often uses a technique where he throws the ball PURPOSELY off the rim in order to establish better position and get the tip in. It's called having elite hands. Something guys like Karl Malone had. FG% doesn't mean anything when you are getting loads of offensive boards. If he misses and gets his own rebound why does it matter that he missed? That's right it doesn't. In turn it actually shows his hustle, passion and love. 90% of all players give up in shame after they miss a shot, cousins works his butt off to fly for the rebound. Nobody that weighs 270lb uses his feet better than cousins and that has been a testament all year long. I also can't believe how much people under-valuate the value of age. Cousins already is playing like an elite center. And he is 21 years old. Nobody has a higher ceiling than him.

Can you just stop posting?

Celticsfan2007
02-27-2012, 01:56 PM

This dude cracks me up!!!!!

Hawkeye15
02-27-2012, 02:50 PM

I mean his with no offense, but absolutely nobody can take your opinion seriously regarding Cousins. Nobody.

Now, moving on. Cousins absolutely has the "potential" to be the games best center. Dwight will be on the decline of his career as Cousins is entering his peak. Today's centers are just not traditional centers. Cousins is not used correctly imo, he shoots too many jumpers, and he is the Kings bail out player (If Reke could hit a jumper, he would have that duty), so it forces tough shots out of him he may not necessarily shoot. That being said, he must learn to quit fooling around in the lane, and just attack the rim hard on the catch. Cousins has a good simple rating for a 2nd year player on a bad team, is a GREAT offensive rebounder, and has nice touch for a powerful guy from 12-15 feet.

The biggest thing going for him, in regards to his position, is he has less competition at center than any other position may. The dude will be a force once he learns to cut down his fouls some, stop shooting so many jumpers, and the Kings get an actual PG who can create easy looks for his teammates, instead of them having to use make-shift PG's all the time.

I think Cousins can become the best C in the NBA in a few years, he has the tools, he just need the right surroundings, and maturity.

Hawkeye15
02-27-2012, 02:54 PM

we are fine now that the Darko experiment is finally over and now that Pekovic learned its a "show", not a "check the midget into the 4th row".

The_Jamal
02-27-2012, 04:14 PM
I mean his with no offense, but absolutely nobody can take your opinion seriously regarding Cousins. Nobody.

Now, moving on. Cousins absolutely has the "potential" to be the games best center. Dwight will be on the decline of his career as Cousins is entering his peak. Today's centers are just not traditional centers. Cousins is not used correctly imo, he shoots too many jumpers, and he is the Kings bail out player (If Reke could hit a jumper, he would have that duty), so it forces tough shots out of him he may not necessarily shoot. That being said, he must learn to quit fooling around in the lane, and just attack the rim hard on the catch. Cousins has a good simple rating for a 2nd year player on a bad team, is a GREAT offensive rebounder, and has nice touch for a powerful guy from 12-15 feet.

The biggest thing going for him, in regards to his position, is he has less competition at center than any other position may. The dude will be a force once he learns to cut down his fouls some, stop shooting so many jumpers, and the Kings get an actual PG who can create easy looks for his teammates, instead of them having to use make-shift PG's all the time.

I think Cousins can become the best C in the NBA in a few years, he has the tools, he just need the right surroundings, and maturity.

Couldn't have said it much better myself. What Cousins needs to work on is using his 6'11 270 pound body to his advantage. He tries to use his touch and finese far too often considering there's maybe 2-3 guys in the NBA who could actually hold their ground against him if he used his body correctly. His excellent footwork/touch/finese is what will separate him from the pack, but he needs to push the power game to the forefront. This will fix his FG% problems and i see no reason he can't be a 20-13 guy by next season

Hawkeye15
02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Couldn't have said it much better myself. What Cousins needs to work on is using his 6'11 270 pound body to his advantage. He tries to use his touch and finese far too often considering there's maybe 2-3 guys in the NBA who could actually hold their ground against him if he used his body correctly. His excellent footwork/touch/finese is what will separate him from the pack, but he needs to push the power game to the forefront. This will fix his FG% problems and i see no reason he can't be a 20-13 guy by next season

I hope Cousins watches his matchups with Pekovic 200 times this summer. Be like that Cousins, you are more athletic, and nearly as strong.

tyfreaks brotha
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM

:laugh: I needed a good laugh!! Thanks

Hawkeye15
02-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Bynum is the overall better player right now. But he doesn't have the health or the upside of Cousins.