PDA

View Full Version : Should the allstar voting method be changed?

james21
02-24-2012, 05:43 PM
I was just thinking we all know the allstar game is a popularity contest, with that being said, if jeremy lin has just an ok season next year, he will get more votes than d rose, deron williams etc...., kind of like yao ming did when he was injured the whole season. Do you guys think this is fair, or what could be done to change this?

Hellcrooner
02-24-2012, 05:47 PM
yes.

Players vote the starters.

Coaches votes the 5 back ups.

Media vote 1 of the reamining two , fans vote the other remaining 1

AntiG
02-24-2012, 05:50 PM
All Star game is for the fans, period. The current system works. The players that the fans WANT to see starting are named starters, whether it be Kobe, Jeremy Lin or Brian Scalabrine. The rest of the team is voted in by their peers (players and coaches), which means that they are the most worthy.

Heediot
02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
All Star game is for the fans, period. The current system works. The players that the fans WANT to see starting are named starters, whether it be Kobe, Jeremy Lin or Brian Scalabrine. The rest of the team is voted in by their peers (players and coaches), which means that they are the most worthy.

From another perspective, imagine in 15 years we argue about the 10 greatest PG's of all time. Some wise crack or knick homer will make the case for Lin stating dude was a 14 time all-star. That would be top 3 all time appearance for PG's. I notice people like to bring up All Star appearances as part of their arguments.

iliketurtles24
02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
well, you do have to perform to a degree, but i get what your saying heediot

asandhu23
02-24-2012, 06:16 PM
it needs to change. too many deserving players get snubbed because someone else has more popular votes. go back to the old days.

AntiG
02-24-2012, 06:18 PM
From another perspective, imagine in 15 years we argue about the 10 greatest PG's of all time. Some wise crack or knick homer will make the case for Lin stating dude was a 14 time all-star. That would be top 3 all time appearance for PG's. I notice people like to bring up All Star appearances as part of their arguments.

Which is fine, because in the end, the stats don't lie and neither do rings. If Lin ends up making 14 all-star games and averaged Jason Kidd type of numbers for his career, he'll certainly be in the discussion. If he's doing Tony Parker type of stuff and garnered a NBA Finals MVP for the Knicks, then he'll be in the discussion for sure.

Yao was voted in as starter multiple times, but no one will mistake him for Shaq anytime soon.

justjames
02-24-2012, 06:19 PM
There should be an electoral college like in the US election process.

AntiG
02-24-2012, 06:19 PM
it needs to change. too many deserving players get snubbed because someone else has more popular votes. go back to the old days.

That's why there's All-NBA 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams.

james21
02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Which is fine, because in the end, the stats don't lie and neither do rings. If Lin ends up making 14 all-star games and averaged Jason Kidd type of numbers for his career, he'll certainly be in the discussion. If he's doing Tony Parker type of stuff and garnered a NBA Finals MVP for the Knicks, then he'll be in the discussion for sure.

Yao was voted in as starter multiple times, but no one will mistake him for Shaq anytime soon.

All that sounds good, but the problem is he is cleary not better than d rose, or deron williams or d wayde, so he should not start! period! just a question, would this even be a topic for disussion if lin wasn't asian?

NoahH
02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
all star game is for the fans, period. The current system works. The players that the fans want to see starting are named starters, whether it be kobe, jeremy lin or brian scalabrine. The rest of the team is voted in by their peers (players and coaches), which means that they are the most worthy.

this

JWO35
02-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Fans 50%/Coaches 50% vote for Starters
GM 50%/Players 50% vote for Backups

LarryLegend33
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
I like the fans to have the votes but I think the options should be narrowed.

I like players and head coaches voting top 3 at each position for east and west.
Each players vote counts as 1 and each head coaches vote counts as 10.

Then allow the fans to decide on the starters based off of those up for nomination.
Teams would then be rounded out by the previous years finals head coaches.

Seems like a more legit way then current one

LAKobeBryant
02-24-2012, 09:11 PM
get the top 12 players from east and west chosen by performance in the season then 2 captains choose team .

KnokOut
02-24-2012, 09:14 PM

Couldn't have said it any better. Small-market teams players are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to votes.

dtmagnet
02-24-2012, 10:22 PM
If you're going to use all-star appearances in hall of fame consideration like some people do, then yeah it needs to change.

LakersIn5
02-24-2012, 11:04 PM
all star game is for the fans, period. The current system works. The players that the fans want to see starting are named starters, whether it be kobe, jeremy lin or brian scalabrine. The rest of the team is voted in by their peers (players and coaches), which means that they are the most worthy.

this

Lakers + Giants
02-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Chuck and Shaq should Draft the 2 teams or It should be like baseball, winner of the all star game has HCA in the finals. Either of those to would make the all star game much more fun to watch!

LakersIn5
02-24-2012, 11:09 PM

uhm because the ASG is for the fans. also only the starters were decided by the fans. for me rose,wade,lebron,melo,dwight,cp3,kobe,durant,blake ,bynum are all deserving. if you are talking about those who got snubbed as substitutes then i guess you know more about the nba than the coaches who actually voted for them?

if you want the real deserving players to get the recognition then just wait for the ALL NBA TEAM to be announced

SmartestGuyHere
02-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Damn Germany and Dirk ruined everything. Too bad its not 1945.

steelcityroller
02-25-2012, 11:45 AM

The same in the NFL with the Pro Bowl. You end up having guys that were the 6th or 7th best player in their conference in the Pro Bowl due to injuries and guys pulling out. You shouldn't look at the AFC roster and see David Garrard and Vince Young as the quarterbacks.

That is why I don't take Pro Bowls into that much of consideration in the NFL. Instead I look at All-Pro selections, stats and wins. The same would be done in the NBA with All-NBA selections, stats and wins.

pd1dish
02-25-2012, 12:11 PM

no, thats not the point of the all-star game. the point is to vote in the guys having the best season and guys that deserve to be there. fans should get a vote, but ill be upset if Jeremy Lin ever makes the all-star game. theres no way in hell he ever eclipses the top 3 PG's in the league, and that is what he has to do if he legitimately wants to make the all-star. instead, he will just get the vote from all the idiot Chinese fans that wouldnt even watch the sport if it werent for Yao Ming. and they probably werent watching in between the Yao retirement and the Lin craze. now that Lin is good and representing them, theyll come from everywhere claiming to be fans.

pd1dish
02-25-2012, 12:31 PM
uhm because the ASG is for the fans. also only the starters were decided by the fans. for me rose,wade,lebron,melo,dwight,cp3,kobe,durant,blake ,bynum are all deserving. if you are talking about those who got snubbed as substitutes then i guess you know more about the nba than the coaches who actually voted for them?

if you want the real deserving players to get the recognition then just wait for the ALL NBA TEAM to be announced

good point

AntiG
02-25-2012, 05:33 PM
no, thats not the point of the all-star game. the point is to vote in the guys having the best season and guys that deserve to be there.

Actually, it IS the point of having an All-Star game. Its an exhibition game for the fans' enjoyment.

koreancabbage
02-25-2012, 05:42 PM
That's why there's All-NBA 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams.

there we go

All-star voting is for fans. Fans become more interested if they have the choice to bring whatever player into the game.

/thread

49erGiantLaker
02-25-2012, 05:51 PM
No. It's for the fans.

shizzle09
02-25-2012, 06:47 PM
All Star game is stupid in any sport that turns it into a "fan" event. Let the coaches of the team choose who he wants so people that actually earned spots get a cchance to be in these games. the fans will enjoy it all the same. People talk smack about the baseball format but at least there's some validity to the teams. each side wants to win so they get home field advantage. takes alot of the fakeness away from the game.

Steel76ers
02-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I think it's fair, it's the damn lottery that needs to be changed lol

slack_justin
02-25-2012, 11:12 PM
If you're going to use all-star appearances in hall of fame consideration like some people do, then yeah it needs to change.

THIS!!

Players get into the hall of fame sometimes based on all-star appearances. Plus most fans don't know **** about the game and just pick players from their team.

slack_justin
02-25-2012, 11:16 PM
No. It's for the fans.

No, it's not. It's an achievement the players are supposed to earn and be recognized. The whole season is for the fans. If you want a popularity contest go back to high school.