PDA

View Full Version : Could Lebron average a triple double if he wanted to?

Lim
02-24-2012, 05:44 AM
hes averaging 7 rpg and 7 apg for his career. there is a huge disparity between that and his 28 ppg average. if he focused more on rebounding and facilitating instead of scoring i think he would be able to average a triple double.

what do you think?

Raps18-19 Champ
02-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Probably.

Though I think his team would win less if he focused more on those other 2 while scoring less.

abe_froman
02-24-2012, 05:48 AM
doubtful,its really hard to do.its only been done once,some came close(mj,magic,west didnt.hell oscar never did it again)

there's a reason why it is only once(and that being very, very long ago)

shep33
02-24-2012, 05:59 AM
No. People think its easy to average a triple double.

Fnom11
02-24-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm sure a lot of players COULD but it probably wouldn't benefit their team.

Raph12
02-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Lebron is like CP3, he knows when to score and when to pass, making him the perfect PG... The difference is, LBJ is crazy gifted with his size/athleticism and CP3 knows when to takeover and force the issue when necessary.

Bruno
02-24-2012, 08:16 AM
maybe if it was his #1 goal. but he's worth a lot more to his team at 28-7-7 then he is 15-10-10, so he does what he does to help win, imo

fariseett
02-24-2012, 08:22 AM
hes averaging 7 rpg and 7 apg for his career. there is a huge disparity between that and his 28 ppg average. if he focused more on rebounding and facilitating instead of scoring i think he would be able to average a triple double.

what do you think? http://www.vvio.info/jpg1

i think he would be able to average a triple double.

PhillyFaninLA
02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
I think he has the ability to do it, not sure if its as simple as saying I want to average a career triple double.

If he picked up his overall intensity a bit and cut the bad (bad by his standard) games in half (everyone has off nights) then I think it would happen automatically.

justinnum1
02-24-2012, 10:16 AM
he can def do the 10 points and 10 reb, but the assists are out of his control really, he can and does make the pass but his teamates still need to make them

theheatles
02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Probably.

Though I think his team would win less if he focused more on those other 2 while scoring less.

pretty much this

mjm07
02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
maybe if it was his #1 goal. but he's worth a lot more to his team at 28-7-7 then he is 15-10-10, so he does what he does to help win, imo

This. well said. :clap:

Hellcrooner
02-24-2012, 11:03 AM
on the heat? yes.

When he was in cavs? No.

You need people able to turn your passes into assist making the shots.

RaiderLakersA's
02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
No. People think its easy to average a triple double.

Agreeing with this completely. It takes a special player to AVERAGE a "tres-dub" for an entire career, especially if said career spans over a decade. But I'd like to see LeBron try.

Corey
02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
He's the only current player in the NBA that would have a legitimate shot at actually doing it.

Wont happen though.

Sly Guy
02-24-2012, 12:07 PM
if he cared about his legacy, he should try to. He'd be the first in a very long time to do so.

TheNumber37
02-24-2012, 12:17 PM
the apg is up to his teams. if he tried, maybe, but not just if he wanted to.

yoseppii12
02-24-2012, 12:18 PM
I agree with what some other people have said.

1. He could if he wanted his team to suffer and literally just control the ball and every play.

but on the other hand the guy is trying really hard. So i dont think, not that the title suggest it, that Lebron is just going 80% on the court and he doesn't really want to. Believe me the guy is playing as hard as he can day in and day out. He wants to win, he wants the 1st seed, he wants to just roll over everyone and take home the ship. Unless the Bulls somehow figure their crap out I'm seeing an OKC Miami championship all the way no contest at this point.

MrfadeawayJB
02-24-2012, 12:19 PM
He's the only current player in the NBA that would have a legitimate shot at actually doing it.

Wont happen though.

this

assisi805
02-24-2012, 12:29 PM
He would have a very realistic shot at it.

Birdmannn
02-24-2012, 01:30 PM
HAHAH if he wanted to? Yes just because he wants amazing stats they will come.
Before last season he admitted to wanting to average a triple double which he is not even that close. So the answer is a big out NO since he wanted to and can not.
Especially not with Wade on the team, if you have noticed Wade goes on iso on 4 out of every 5 plays which leaves very little assists available from Wade baskets for Lebron

Davidgta1
02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Yes

D1JM
02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Check my $tats (http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/497010/6a00d8341c67fe53ef0115704be553970c-800wi.jpg)

Birdmannn
02-24-2012, 01:58 PM
if he cared about his legacy, he should try to. He'd be the first in a very long time to do so.

If you cared about YOUR legacy you would grow another foot and get drafted yourself and try it.
In all honesty thou why would he bother worrying about stats when he has 2 star players with him trying to help each other win as many rings as possible.
Lebron has shown stats dont mean anything to him anymore or he wouldnt have joined the Heat.

Patman
02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
I don't think so. It's not that easy to just get 2-3 more boards and assists. One Guy in history has done that and he played at an insane pace for todays standards. The average Pace in 62 was around 125 pos/game, the Heat average 95.5 this year.

Here is a Blog post from 2009 on Basketball-Reference about that season and what LeBron would have averaged with the pace of 62.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=1423

Lim
02-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm sure a lot of players COULD but it probably wouldn't benefit their team.

who? lebron is the only one who could legitimately do it imo

BallIsAll
02-24-2012, 04:25 PM
If he could he would it isn't like he's taking it easy on the league. He's a phenomenal all around player but even he knows if he could average one he most definitely would.

Heediot
02-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Scoring and assists yes. Rebounding is questionable. Unless he makes a shift to PF in the 2nd half of games and makes a conscious effort to grab rebounds to fill out his stat sheet, its tough to average 10 rebs as a wing player. Overall I would say no, it's too tough to do in this day and age.

Lim
02-24-2012, 04:46 PM
HAHAH if he wanted to? Yes just because he wants amazing stats they will come.
Before last season he admitted to wanting to average a triple double which he is not even that close. So the answer is a big out NO since he wanted to and can not.
Especially not with Wade on the team, if you have noticed Wade goes on iso on 4 out of every 5 plays which leaves very little assists available from Wade baskets for Lebron

if he said that and he wants to, he isn't doing it right. needs to focus way less on scoring and more on rebounding and passing.

If he could he would it isn't like he's taking it easy on the league. He's a phenomenal all around player but even he knows if he could average one he most definitely would.

i didn't mean he was taking it easy on the league. just by looking at his stats you can tell the majority of his effort goes into scoring the basketball. for him to average a triple double his scoring would have to drop significantly and i don't know if his ego would allow him to do that(if that makes sense..).

Birdmannn
02-24-2012, 05:48 PM
if he said that and he wants to, he isn't doing it right. needs to focus way less on scoring and more on rebounding and passing.

i didn't mean he was taking it easy on the league. just by looking at his stats you can tell the majority of his effort goes into scoring the basketball. for him to average a triple double his scoring would have to drop significantly and i don't know if his ego would allow him to do that(if that makes sense..).

I dont think thats true at all. You should try watching a game. He plays defense very hard and is always ready to help defend on any position, he also is always looking to get team mates easy and open shots. Above all else he lets D Wade take the ball and shoot as much as he wants so I dont understand how you can say the majority of his effort is in scoring cause its not he is just scoring at such an incredible efficiency he is keeping up with the top scorers in the league.

justjames
02-24-2012, 06:14 PM
If he had the abilities to average a tripe double but didn't just because he didn't feel like it, I would seriously put his work ethic into question.

JayAllDay
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
He can probably do it all but the team won't win?
I think that about sums it up.

Ebbs
02-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Yes if he said **** winning and aimed for 10 -10 - 10 every night yes.

Lim
02-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I dont think thats true at all. You should try watching a game. He plays defense very hard and is always ready to help defend on any position, he also is always looking to get team mates easy and open shots. Above all else he lets D Wade take the ball and shoot as much as he wants so I dont understand how you can say the majority of his effort is in scoring cause its not he is just scoring at such an incredible efficiency he is keeping up with the top scorers in the league.

he takes 20 shots a GAME for his career. that's proof enough that he puts the majority of his effort into scoring. you honestly don't think he couldn't do it even if he took lets say 14 shots a game and instead put more energy into rebounding and passing?

If he had the abilities to average a tripe double but didn't just because he didn't feel like it, I would seriously put his work ethic into question.

not true. especially if averaging a triple double would hurt his team more than help his team as others have said.

ne3xchamps
02-24-2012, 07:25 PM
IMO no. Everyone has off nights where the d will concentrate on him, or his shooting is off. Its happened to him before, so thinking lebron could have a triple double every game is a completely delusional and insane statement.

Lim
02-24-2012, 07:27 PM
IMO no. Everyone has off nights where the d will concentrate on him, or his shooting is off. Its happened to him before, so thinking lebron could have a triple double every game is a completely delusional and insane statement.

you don't have to have a triple double a game to actually average a triple double. just look at the big O, dude pracically averaged a triple double for like 4 seasons and he "only" has about 180 triple doubles.

YoungOne
02-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Im sure he would if he could..

Lim
02-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Im sure he would if he could..

false. read the thread

AIRMAR72
02-24-2012, 07:47 PM
yes he sure can with ease

koberulesall
02-24-2012, 07:56 PM
no

Tony_Starks
02-24-2012, 08:14 PM
What makes you think he doesn't want to? He's almost there already do you think he intentionally gets less rebounds and assist for the hell of it? He's a team guy and more assist and rebounds from him would only make them better, its not like he has to score more.......

Lim
02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
What makes you think he doesn't want to? He's almost there already do you think he intentionally gets less rebounds and assist for the hell of it? He's a team guy and more assist and rebounds from him would only make them better, its not like he has to score more.......

I've already addressed this like 100 times, read the thread please: if he wants to, he doesn't know how to. he takes 20 shots per game for his career, meaning the majority of his efforts go into scoring. its hard to average 10 assists per game if you take 20 shots per game. if he took 14 shots per game and focused more on rebounding and facilitating i can see him doing this.

Tony_Starks
02-25-2012, 12:52 AM
I've already addressed this like 100 times, read the thread please: if he wants to, he doesn't know how to. he takes 20 shots per game for his career, meaning the majority of his efforts go into scoring. its hard to average 10 assists per game if you take 20 shots per game. if he took 14 shots per game and focused more on rebounding and facilitating i can see him doing this.

Not true. Deron Williams is almost getting 10 assist on a garbage team and his shot attempts are up. Stands to reason Lebron could take just a few less shots on a really good team and easily get 10 dimes. As far as rebounding SF's typically being on the wing is not really conducive to grabbing 10 plus boards since they're often not in position, never mind the paint already being packed by the bigs. It's pretty rare that you see that.

But if you guys want to seriously believe he can but just doesn't and that by him scoring a little bit less and assisting and rebounding more (assist leading to points and rebounds leading to more opportunities to score) would somehow HURT the team I'll leave you to your opinion.......

Birdmannn
02-25-2012, 02:14 AM
Not true. Deron Williams is almost getting 10 assist on a garbage team and his shot attempts are up. Stands to reason Lebron could take just a few less shots on a really good team and easily get 10 dimes. As far as rebounding SF's typically being on the wing is not really conducive to grabbing 10 plus boards since they're often not in position, never mind the paint already being packed by the bigs. It's pretty rare that you see that.

But if you guys want to seriously believe he can but just doesn't and that by him scoring a little bit less and assisting and rebounding more (assist leading to points and rebounds leading to more opportunities to score) would somehow HURT the team I'll leave you to your opinion.......

I believe the posts meant that if he focused less on scoring he could focus more on assisting and rebounding, but would result in his team not winning as often.

LakersSaintsLSU
02-25-2012, 02:29 AM
"Could Lebron Win A Ring If He Wanted To?" FIXED

Lim
02-25-2012, 02:41 AM

deron williams is averaging 13.7 FGA for his career, bad comparison.

they aren't conducive to getting 10 boards because no SF's are anywhere CLOSE to being built/athletically gifted as much as lebron is. and the paint already packed by bigs? lebron IS a big. 6'8 250-260 are PF measurements.

and chill out with the condescending dots, they are quite annoying.

thawv
02-25-2012, 02:54 AM
No

Revolu7i9n
02-25-2012, 02:55 AM
"If he wanted to"

what does lebron want? I'm not sure anyone knows...

Lim
02-25-2012, 02:57 AM
"If he wanted to"

what does lebron want? I'm not sure anyone knows...

a ring

last stand
02-25-2012, 03:46 AM
no. or else he would have done it

omdigga
02-25-2012, 11:12 AM
"if he wanted to"

- if he actually played to get a triple double and not care about winning the game, i think he could.

Lakeshow24KB
02-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Lebr

Lakeshow24KB
02-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Lebron said he could lead the league in scoring and drop sixty if he wanted to. But he wouldn't. He was asked about what he thought on Kevin Durants first scoring title.
Sorry about the post at the top it got cut off.

Steel76ers
02-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Lol he has the skill but not likely :facepalm:

j11430
02-25-2012, 11:15 PM
If he wanted to? Are you insinuating he doesn't want to? I'm sure he wants to, it's just really ****ing hard to do.

Part of what makes Lebron so great is his ability to drive the lane and force fouls. If he did less of that he would be less effective overall so if I were him I wouldn't worry about it

THE MTL
02-25-2012, 11:40 PM
He could average a triple double but it would have to be a conscious effort every game in obtaining the triple double. Lebron can naturally give you 25pts, 8 assists, 7 rebounds every game, but he would have to strictly play for stats in order to achieve the extra points to bring him to a triple double. Which would probi result in less wins.

nickdymez
02-26-2012, 12:13 AM
I think he could average a quadripple double if he wanted to. Lebron James can do anything

dodie53
02-26-2012, 01:04 AM
lebron is humble so he won't do it.
hehe