PDA

View Full Version : Is Lebron in his prime or is he only going to get better?

metsfanssince05
02-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Simple question... Is Lebron in his prime? Or he is going to be any better? Scary to think if Lebron only gets better. Lebron is only 28 years old still pretty young.

My opinion is I think he can, hes only 28. I can see something like..

24 PPG, 10 RPG, 9 APG, 56% FG. that would by far be his best season by Lebron and I think its possible.

Seem reasonable?

Slug3
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
It really is up to him now. He is pretty close to being at his best game. If he works on his jump shot and post game more then I could see him still getting better.

ThuglifeJ
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
stars like lebron usually decline at around 32 years of age.. Pierce/Nowitzki still are "prime" or only very slightly declining because they have had 'old man games' from the start.

hes in his prime now and will continue to be so until he loses some speed/athleticsim. So 4 more years Id say

LAKobeBryant
02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
i don't think he's going get better as he gets older. he has no skills its all born talent. when he loses his speed, quickness, and strength there is nothing left.

ChicagoRox
02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
He may be at his athletic prime, but I think he will mature and develop a more all round team based style of play. He'll be at an all star level for another 5-6 years.

Raph12
02-23-2012, 04:34 PM
He's 27... Just turned 27 in December (day after my bday).

Shmontaine
he's been blessed with good health his whole career... if he doesn't get injured, i would imagine he can get better... less athletic, but better overall

LongIslandIcedZ
I think he is in his prime. I mean how much better can he really get? I do think he'll have to make some big adjustments when his athleticism goes, but he is a smart enough ball player to make the proper adjustments. The question is will these adjustments need to be made while he is in a heat jersey or a Cavs jersey? I have heard some reports that have said it is an extremely real possibility.

mRc08
02-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I think he can get better. While he may loose some athleticism over time, there are players who can still play great without the physical skills he has. Plus his size isn't going to decline, and if down the road he slid into a more power foward role, he could post more and improve his rebounding.

justinnum1
02-23-2012, 04:55 PM
just hitting his prime, has prob 4-5 years of very high level of play in him,

ChicagoJ
02-23-2012, 05:11 PM
I remember Dr. J saying players were in their prime between 28-32. So, he's got a handful of years left. I'm not sure what he can improve on really. But, age will catch up with him sooner or later. Watching MJ in his prime I didn't think he would ever decline as he'd always find ways to be dominating. But, he did decline eventually as will LeBron in about 5 or so years.

29$JerZ
02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
I think we are seeing him reach his peak
It will be interesting to see how he does after age 30 and that athleticism is not as great as now

Good thing for him he finally has a good jumper so that will definitely keep his level of play high for the next amount of years

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Once his speed, and athleticism are gone, It will be up to LeBron and his desire to improve and find way for his game to stay relevant, like Kobe. Whether it's becoming a great 3 point shooter, or improving his post game etc. I see him becoming a Chauncey Billups later in his career.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 05:19 PM
we won't know until we see a decline at what level of his career he is playing right now.

RaiderLakersA's
02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Being in your prime is not synonymous with having reached your full potential or your ceiling.

You can be in your prime, but never attain your peak.

It's also possible to be beyond your prime years, but play at a level that exceeds anything that you did or could do when you were younger. The "aged like a fine wine" metaphor is oft overused, but it does apply to some athletes: they became much better as they aged.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Being in your prime is not synonymous with having reached your full potential or your ceiling.

You can be in your prime, but never attain your peak.

It's also possible to be beyond your prime years, but play at a level that exceeds anything that you did or could do when you were younger. The "aged like a fine wine" metaphor is oft overused, but it does apply to some athletes: they became much better as they aged.

Exactly. Those who age well and have long primes continue to add to their overall skillset to offset their physical decline. Kobe is the perfect example.

Raph12
02-23-2012, 06:32 PM
If he gets any better, it'll just be scary...

sep11ie
02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Simple question... Is Lebron in his prime? Or he is going to be any better? Scary to think if Lebron only gets better. Lebron is only 28 years old still pretty young.

My opinion is I think he can, hes only 28. I can see something like..

24 PPG, 10 RPG, 9 APG, 56% FG. that would by far be his best season by Lebron and I think its possible.

Seem reasonable?

Wow, those are like JEREMY LIN numbers...

raiderfaninTX
02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
i don't think he's going get better as he gets older. he has no skills its all born talent. when he loses his speed, quickness, and strength there is nothing left.

that could be the dumbest statement I have ever seen on this site

TheNumber37
02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
his prime is his athletic peak, so whenever that goes...

Bruno
02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
i think we've seen his peak. but he could retain it for another half decade.

3RDASYSTEM
02-23-2012, 06:54 PM
SHAQ/IVERSON/LEBRON been in they prime the 1st day they stepped on court(hell even before NBA), how can ya peak when ya dominate individually from day 1? thats why i laugh at this hes in his 'prime' talk, bunch of poppycock from PSD heads ..it was SHAQ first then AI and now LEBRON is like a combo mix of both with all that speed/power

naps
02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
He's in his prime. Remember prime is a range. However, I think we are yet to see his peak. He just turned 27. Most players show their peak from age 28 to 32. I am waiting to see his peak. To think that how much better can he get...when he's already this good. I do think his peak will be scary good. He'll certainly have some most productive seasons of all time, the ones you can put alongside Jordan, Wilt, and Big O.

Lim
02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
the scary thing is, he could average a triple double for a season if he focused more on facilitating and rebounding as opposed to scoring

akia83
02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
the scary thing is, he could average a triple double for a season if he focused more on facilitating and rebounding as opposed to scoring

I'm a big fan of LBJ but, he didn't get any triple-double this year, let alone the average.

shep33
02-23-2012, 07:18 PM
He'll decline after he faces Lin tonight. Lin seems to absorb all basketball power from other star players, similar to the Monstars in Space Jam. Kobe, Dirk... Lebron and Wade tonight.

koreancabbage
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
once he gets his post moves (and he's done a really good job at it this year) he'd be the best player on the floor every night till he's 40. he's a really rare physical specimen in the sport.

as long as he doesn't get injured seriously, he just needs players around him that can make shots and thats about it.

kozelkid
02-23-2012, 08:51 PM
He may be at his athletic prime, but I think he will mature and develop a more all round team based style of play. He'll be at an all star level for another 5-6 years.

He isn't in his athletic prime. Hasn't been since joining Miami, but his fundamentals are much sounders and that has resulted in a better player since. I guess it comes down to how much more efficient of a post player and mid range shooter he can be without declining too much in athleticism.

IndyRealist
02-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Most players peak at 25-28. The term peak implies an immediate decline, but it's not really that noticable until the player gets into his 30's. I prefer to think a player plateaus and then stays relatively level until 31-32 or so. Then they tend to fall off a cliff.

IndiansFan337
02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
He's in his prime now and just extending it.

THE MTL
02-24-2012, 01:12 AM
I can see Lebron James getting better. His jumpshot is still his one weakpoint (not even that major). I can see his jumpshot improving and continued improvement when he gets older. Like once Vince Carter's athleticism dropped, he focused on his jumpshot and his 3pters are pretty deadly now too.

C_Mund
02-24-2012, 01:34 AM
I'd like to see what he could do if he didn't dominate the ball so much. That's not to mean he shouldn't be the facilitator, but as he slows down (not for a long time...) he'll need to be faster with his decision making. Playing closer to the basket and focusing on defense.....the sky is still the limit. He has all the time in the world to change his game however he needs to.

TheRunKiller
02-24-2012, 01:36 AM
Only thing about him he's scared to fail he doesn't even try...be a man bro ur 27

Chronz
02-24-2012, 01:54 AM
The numbers the OP posted would represent his worst year ever IMO

TheRunKiller
02-24-2012, 01:59 AM

When we gonna play 2k?

Sactown
02-24-2012, 03:57 AM
His 08-09 Playoff run is insane... Idk if we'll ever see something that insane.
35.3 PPG 9.1 Assist 7.3 Boards of 51% shooting
A Per of 37.4 while posting a WS/48 of .399

Demon11
02-24-2012, 04:12 AM

You forgot to add in that he has no rings so hell never be as good as kobe.

Lim
02-24-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm a big fan of LBJ but, he didn't get any triple-double this year, let alone the average.

yes but hes averaging 7 rpg and 7 apg for his career. there is a huge disparity between that and his 28 ppg average. if he focused more on rebounding and facilitating instead of scoring i think he would be able to average a triple double.

is this some sort of subtle knock against kobe nut huggers who put such stock into PPG?

bklynny67
02-24-2012, 04:33 AM
passed his prime

Birdmannn
02-24-2012, 04:35 AM
You forgot to add in that he has no rings so hell never be as good as kobe.

Well Kobe has had 16 seasons, give Lebron a fair chance and wait another eight seasons he should be alot closer then.

Cano4prez
02-24-2012, 08:25 AM
He's already changing his body and his game to extend his prime, I honestly think he'll be able to sustain his prime to around age 35

theheatles
02-24-2012, 09:04 AM
he's only going to get betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta and betta

ZHawk1123
02-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Only going to get better... Will continue to improve his outside shot and post game.

His ceiling is so high, its insane.

Squad13
02-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Lebron James was made in a lab/ is on hgh. :D He's basically a man amongst boys ,athletically speaking, in the nba.... He's might be the most athletic person ever.

natelpete
02-24-2012, 10:39 AM
As he gets older his shooting will improve, I see him getting better.

RaiderLakersA's
02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Has LeBron had any serious injuries yet?

LongIslandIcedZ
02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Lebron is part machine. He doesnt get injured.

naps
02-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Only thing about him he's scared to fail he doesn't even try...be a man bro ur 27

In other words ...."Why didn't you choose my team in 2010? Why do you have to be so ****ing damn good? Why do you always own and shut down my best player?"

He115ing
02-24-2012, 03:06 PM
sure if he mans up and shaves his head finally

tredigs
02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
I can see Lebron James getting better. His jumpshot is still his one weakpoint (not even that major). I can see his jumpshot improving and continued improvement when he gets older. Like once Vince Carter's athleticism dropped, he focused on his jumpshot and his 3pters are pretty deadly now too.

And even then, out of the big time volume scorers in the league, it looks like only Durant and Dirk are better mid-range jump shooters than him. He's on Kobe's level there, and that's Kobe's bread 'n butter.

Check out 'hoopdata', breaks down the percentages from 3-9ft, 9-15ft, etc.

Now that he's shooting over 40% from three and being arguably the best overall defender in the game (one of the early knocks on him was his D) ... I don't even know where a player could theoretically improve. Just time for him to start keeping up this level of play in the Finals. That's the next/final step for him.

SteBO
02-24-2012, 04:06 PM
And even then, out of the big time volume scorers in the league, it looks like only Durant and Dirk are better mid-range jump shooters than him. He's on Kobe's level there, and that's Kobe's bread 'n butter.

Check out 'hoopdata', breaks down the percentages from 3-9ft, 9-15ft, etc.

Now that he's shooting over 40% from three and being arguably the best overall defender in the game (one of the early knocks on him was his D) ... I don't even know where a player could theoretically improve. Just time for him to start keeping up this level of play in the Finals. That's the next/final step for him.
Couldn't have said it any better here. Do it in the Finals, and noone can touch you. Bottom line.....