PDA

View Full Version : Decade later, LBJ-Melo still goin' strong

latinofire21
02-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Issac Baldizon/Getty Images
The friendly rivalry between LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony started 10 years ago in high school.MIAMI -- In the summer of 2001, LeBron James returned home from a week in Colorado Springs, Colo., where he'd been the youngest player to take part in a USA Basketball development camp.

It was mid-June and school had just ended. James was 16 years old, pimple-faced and sporting a long, unkempt hairstyle. Though he was already turning heads as a major talent -- he would capture the attention of scouts and journalists for the first time later that summer at the ABCD Camp in New Jersey -- he still was a relative unknown.

He'd met a few really good players in Colorado. Guys like Deron Williams, Raymond Felton, J.J. Redick and Shelden Williams. But when he went back to Ohio, there was only one player he was really talking about: another young star who had made a name for himself in high school circles but was headed for stardom.

"I kept telling all my friends how good this Carmelo Anthony guy was," said James, who will see Anthony again Thursday night when the Heat host the Knicks. "I did not know then that we were going to put him on our schedule."

What followed was one of the most memorable and talked about high school games in recent memory. A game that was 10 years ago this month.

"Has it been 10 years?" James said. "Wow."

After that summer, Anthony, who is a year older than James, transferred from his high school in Baltimore to Oak Hill Academy in Virginia. James' high school, St. Vincent-St. Mary in Akron, Ohio, ended up agreeing to play Oak Hill in the featured game of a high school showcase the next February.

It was a matchup that was pieced together and promoted to sell tickets. It worked. More than 11,000 showed up at the Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton, N.J., on a Sunday. What happened then still lives strongly in the memories of people who were there and on YouTube, where the highlights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4aMOFhm7M have gotten nearly 1.5 million views over the last decade.

"It felt like a Magic Johnson versus Larry Bird moment because LeBron was the best junior in the country and Carmelo was the best senior," said Tim Rogers, who covered the game for the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

In 2003, Melo and LeBron entered the NBA together.

"What was so positive about it was they both showed a mutual respect for each other. There was no trash talking and no trying to show the other guy up. It was fun to just watch their talent."

The game played out just as many of their meetings in the NBA have. Anthony's Nuggets and Knicks teams have a lopsided head-to-head record in his favor against James' Cavs and Heat teams, even though James has won the individual scoring battles regularly.

On that night in 2002, both played well and James put up the slightly better stats, but Anthony's team got the victory. Oak Hill, which was 24-1 going into the game, won 72-66. James had 36 points on 12-of-27 shooting with eight rebounds, five assists and six steals. Anthony had 34 points on 14-of-25 shooting with 11 rebounds and two assists.
"It was a great show," James said Wednesday. "I wanted to play Oak Hill again right then and there."

"We always have brought out the best in each other," Anthony said in 2010. "It started with that night because it was something we'd looked forward to for months and it turned into a great experience."
James had several fantastic and athletic drives to the basket during the game, showing off the strength and agility that he still relies on today. He also hit several clutch 3-pointers that kept his team close in the second half.

Anthony might've had the highlight of the game with a power dunk in transition that came over the top of one of James' smaller teammates. He also showed off his ability to work in the post, techniques he's used on James numerous times in the years since, to score on his rival several times.

"I went through a lot of battles in high school," James said. "We both had speed, power and the ability to handle and shoot. He was one of the [few] guys that I came close to."

Neither were truly on the national scene yet. Just a few days later, James made his debut on the cover of Sports Illustrated under the banner "The Chosen One." Ten months later, when he did get his rematch with Oak Hill, he got the victory in a game that was broadcast on ESPN2. Anthony was gone by then, on his way to winning a national title in his one season at Syracuse.

Fans who went to the game that day thinking they would get an early look at two superstars were not let down. It was one of the rare occurrences when the performances of both exceeded the hype. And in this case, at least on a local level, there had been a lot of hype.

"After the game, wherever they went it was like they were a beehive and people were buzzing around them," Rogers said. "People just wanted so much to get an autograph or a picture or just be close to them. They had left everyone in awe."

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...y-10-years-ago

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Link doesn't work.

latinofire21
02-23-2012, 02:25 PM
For any real basketball fans you need to see the highlights in that highschool game. Some of the most ridiculous dunks I have seen in a highschool game were in those clips.

I liked the part that he touched on the historic battles between LBJ and Melo and how they bring out the best in each other. This game tonight is going to be complete bananas.

Evolution23
02-23-2012, 02:27 PM
melo always gets the better of lebron

latinofire21
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Link doesn't work.

I posted a direct link to the video linked in the article.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Hopefully he can outplay him like that tonight, excet win the game also.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7605201/lebron-james-vs-carmelo-anthony-10-years-ago

That's the link.

And you should quote the actual article.

It makes it look neater that way.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 02:47 PM
melo always gets the better of lebron

Its interesting, because their rookie years, I thought Melo had a legit chance on winning ROY. But by year 2, Bron started to pull away as a player, and has been easily the better player since their 2nd year in the league.

valade16
02-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Its interesting, because their rookie years, I thought Melo had a legit chance on winning ROY. But by year 2, Bron started to pull away as a player, and has been easily the better player since their 2nd year in the league.

That's because LeBron does so much more on the floor than Anthony. Anthony doesn't have nearly the all around game that LeBron has and it shows.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:01 PM
That's because LeBron does so much more on the floor than Anthony. Anthony doesn't have nearly the all around game that LeBron has and it shows.

oh for sure. Melo really never developed any further after his first couple of years. Great scoring talent, not much else. It is funny that Melo tends to win the matchups head to head with LeBron. Shows what a motivated Melo is capable of. Too bad winning isn't a big enough motivator for him.

Sactown
02-23-2012, 03:13 PM

I actually thought Melo was better their rookie year and though he was robbed, I also thought Lebron was a player who wouldn't be able to find a true position and boy was I wrong lol I didn't think he would be a superstar going forward either haha. :facepalm: I thought he was going to have an issue with his jump shot

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:14 PM
I actually thought Melo was better their rookie year and though he was robbed, I also thought Lebron was a player who wouldn't be able to find a true position and boy was I wrong lol I didn't think he would be a superstar going forward either haha. :facepalm: I thought he was going to have an issue with his jump shot

Yeah man, I wasn't surprised Bron win ROY, he had the name. But I thought Melo had just as much right to it as Bron did.

You thought wrong, sucka!

Sactown
02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah man, I wasn't surprised Bron win ROY, he had the name. But I thought Melo had just as much right to it as Bron did.

You thought wrong, sucka!

If you remember Lebron wasn't the physical monster he is today, I thought he was going to be exposed by other guards and just not big enough to be a SF, but obviously I was wrong

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
If you remember Lebron wasn't the physical monster he is today, I thought he was going to be exposed by other guards and just not big enough to be a SF, but obviously I was wrong

Not sure what you were looking at, but for an 18 year old, that is as developed as you get physically. He weighed 225 lbs as a rookie, and had freakish athletic ability. I didn't predict he would turn into the monster he is now, but it was very easy to see he was a sure fire future star.

Sactown
02-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Not sure what you were looking at, but for an 18 year old, that is as developed as you get physically. He weighed 225 lbs as a rookie, and had freakish athletic ability. I didn't predict he would turn into the monster he is now, but it was very easy to see he was a sure fire future star.

6'8 225 isn't super physically developed, I'm thin as a twig at 6'3 and I weigh about 195, so those numbers aren't outstanding for his size, but with that said, I can admit I was wrong because I obviously was haha he's now what 260Lbs? and hasn't lost a step in speed? that's what's amazing to me

Side note, nobody could of predicted he'd be one of the most physically gifted players ever to play the game

Sadds The Gr8
02-23-2012, 03:31 PM
let's be real. Melo couldn't sniff Lebron's jock strap.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:31 PM
6'8 225 isn't super physically developed, I'm thin as a twig at 6'3 and I weigh about 195, so those numbers aren't outstanding for his size, but with that said, I can admit I was wrong because I obviously was haha he's now what 260Lbs? and hasn't lost a step in speed? that's what's amazing to me

Side note, nobody could of predicted he'd be one of the most physically gifted players ever to play the game

he was plenty big enough for your prototypical SF. But we agree, neither of us saw the beast he has become.

Sactown
02-23-2012, 03:37 PM
he was plenty big enough for your prototypical SF. But we agree, neither of us saw the beast he has become.

That's pretty much it right there, also I just thought Melo's skills would translate better than Lebrons and I was wrong

Dankster
02-23-2012, 03:40 PM

While I agree that Lebron is superior as an all around player compared to Melo, I will say that Anthony is probably the toughest matchup for Lebron league-wide. He always plays him very tough, statistically they basically cancel each other out everytime they play.

It sucks because there's a lot of elements similar in Melo's game to Lebron's, it's just Melo doesn't show the consistency that James shows on a nightly basis.

Hitman21
02-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Although i agree thet LBJ is a better player....he also has stated that Melo is the hardest player to defend. To take it that far, and say he couldnt sniff lbj's jock strap is a bit excessive. Melo has had an off season, and we all know that, but once hes back in form i think a team that consists of the below would definetly give the heat a run for the money.

lin/davis
fields/shump/jr smith
melo/novack
stat
tyson

Corey
02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
You need to use quote tags and only post a portion of the article in the future.

latinofire21
02-23-2012, 04:00 PM
You need to use quote tags and only post a portion of the article in the future.

LOL Corey your a funny guy. That Demarcus Cousins thread was 9 pages long you didnt cut that one down lol. People post the whole article in the thread all the time.

Raph12
02-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Melo should've won ROY, better stats on the better team and won both H2H matchups with better numbers... That's just another example of how stupid the media voters are.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Melo should've won ROY, better stats on the better team and won both H2H matchups with better numbers... That's just another example of how stupid the media voters are.

He had the wrong name. I am a Wolves fan, and when Rubio wins ROY this season, if Irving and Rubio continue their level of play, I would also feel Rubio got it wrongly.

kdspurman
02-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Yep. It's a dam shame.

Corey
02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
LOL Corey your a funny guy. That Demarcus Cousins thread was 9 pages long you didnt cut that one down lol. People post the whole article in the thread all the time.

No one reported those.

Someone reported this one.

I'm not a magician. I dont see every single thread on ProSportsDaily.

I asked you to quote articles, and post portions. Stop pointing fingers at other people instead of just saying "Alright".

Raph12
02-23-2012, 06:27 PM
He had the wrong name. I am a Wolves fan, and when Rubio wins ROY this season, if Irving and Rubio continue their level of play, I would also feel Rubio got it wrongly.

Exactly... Not that Rubio isn't good, Irving is just playing at a very high level already.

Reminds me of Brandon Roy, just a very mature, NBA-ready player and that at such a young age, let's hope he stays healthy lol.

latinofire21
02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
No one reported those.

Someone reported this one.

I'm not a magician. I dont see every single thread on ProSportsDaily.

I asked you to quote articles, and post portions. Stop pointing fingers at other people instead of just saying "Alright".

I wouldnt have to point if you did your job. You pick and choose what you want to do. Seems like you need some more Mod help here. We should start a petition so you arent overwhelmed with all the tough work on these boards.

Corey
02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
I wouldnt have to point if you did your job. You pick and choose what you want to do. Seems like you need some more Mod help here. We should start a petition so you arent overwhelmed with all the tough work on these boards.

Moderating is a collective effort spread out across the site. No moderator is on 24/7, and no moderator sees every post that needs attention. We're all on at different times through out the day, for different amounts of time.

We volunteer. We dont get paid. We're regular posters too. We can only moderate the things we see. If something isn't reported, it could easily get overlooked.

KnicksorBust
02-23-2012, 11:13 PM
I hate when threads get high-jacked.

Rubio-Irving = save it for another thread
Moderation complaints = who cares

Melo and Lin let me down tonight. We could have won this game. I'm stinging.

Corey
02-23-2012, 11:48 PM
At least you have a brighter future than my Celtics.

:sigh:

The Heat have been playing on a whole other level lately. The Knicks showed they can hang with the best team in the East...that's a positive.