PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the year Adelman??

Sota4Ever
02-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Does Adelman have a shot at wining the Coach of the year. So far the Timberwolves have won 17 games the same as last year. They are one game back from the playoffs. If the Timberwolves can get into the playoffs will Adelman win the award?

mRc08
02-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I think he is a worthy candidate. While you have to attribute some of the turn around to rubio, the team culture appears to be totally different, and for the better

Missing56&33
02-23-2012, 02:19 PM
:pity: Nope

Sly Guy
02-23-2012, 02:20 PM
I want to say no only cuz I expect this kinda turnaround from his coaching. However, that has no bearing on the award, so yes, he's a very viable candidate.

Sota4Ever
02-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks for your opinion. That was a great post...

ManningToTyree
02-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Doug Collins

Sota4Ever
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah cause that's what I asked for...

Sly Guy
02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Doug Collins

he'd be another on the short list for me. Really like the way he handles his squad.

29$JerZ
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
He will be a candidate however I see Doug Collins or Brooks winning it

ManningToTyree
02-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah cause that's what I asked for...

He won't win it because Doug Collins and others are more deserving. Is that satisfactory?

latinofire21
02-23-2012, 02:34 PM
With a 500 record and all the media hype around Rubio, he wont be a candidate for COY. The media will just warrant the increase in wins because of Rubio and not Adelman. There are teams that are performing a lot better and will recieve consideration over him. Doug Collins is the clear favorite for this award. Greg Popovich is another. Adelman cant beat either of those 2.

VikesTwinsWolve
02-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Regardless of the award or if NY media cares. Adelman has been equally as importnant if not more then Rubio this year.

THE_G.O.A.T.
02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Did Thibs retire?

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 02:40 PM
If the Wolves make the playoffs he will get strong consideration. Outside that scenario, probably not.

AddiX
02-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Playoffs won't get the him considered. I don't even know why this is a thread, look at the teams in the west they are above right now. Hardly worth bragging about.

I'm not saying minny isn't better this year, but I just don't see anyone giving out any awards to a team that still has a long way to go.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Playoffs won't get the him considered. I don't even know why this is a thread, look at the teams in the west they are above right now. Hardly worth bragging about.

I'm not saying minny isn't better this year, but I just don't see anyone giving out any awards to a team that still has a long way to go.

Yes it would get him consideration. A team that goes from a 20% winning percentage to a 55% winning percentage will merit a look for COY. They don't always give that award to the coach of an elite team. Think Sam Mitchell. If the Wolves make the playoffs, Adelman has coached the Wolves to a bigger improvement then Toronto had when Mitchell won COY.

latinofire21
02-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes it would get him consideration. A team that goes from a 20% winning percentage to a 55% winning percentage will merit a look for COY. They don't always give that award to the coach of an elite team. Think Sam Mitchell. If the Wolves make the playoffs, Adelman has coached the Wolves to a bigger improvement then Toronto had when Mitchell won COY.

This isnt intended as a bait because I dont really remember the season that Torontos coach won coy but were there any other strong candidates?

Doug Collins made them a power house for the first half of the season even though there recent losing streak is leading me to believe they were playing above their potential.

What Popovich has done with that aging squad and the injuries to his team is truly remarkable. In a condensed season, with one of the oldest teams in the NBA, hes still keeping that team in a powerhouse level. Hes finding the best out of his team and playing a very deep bench. I am very very impressed with how hes coaching this team through all the adversity this season.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
This isnt intended as a bait because I dont really remember the season that Torontos coach won coy but were there any other strong candidates?

Doug Collins made them a power house for the first half of the season even though there recent losing streak is leading me to believe they were playing above their potential.

What Popovich has done with that aging squad and the injuries to his team is truly remarkable. In a condensed season, with one of the oldest teams in the NBA, hes still keeping that team in a powerhouse level. Hes finding the best out of his team and playing a very deep bench. I am very very impressed with how hes coaching this team through all the adversity this season.

There are strong candidates every season man. It doesn't simply go to the best coach, its just like the MVP. Sometimes it goes to the good story. Jerry Sloan never won it. Explain that.

I am not saying he is the best coach this season, or that he necessarily deserves it. But when you look at the Wolves last season, and if they make the playoffs out west this season, he will for sure get strong consideration for COY. Will he win it? Meh, no clue, Doug Collins should if he can hold onto a home court advantage in round 1 probably, and Pops is just the usual, so the media will overlook him as usual.

As for the Sixers playing above their potential, they started the season with one of the easiest strength of schedules, and when Hawes went down (yes, Spencer freakin Hawes), they really sputtered when the schedule got tougher.

Sactown
02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Rick Adelman has always been a coach who has surpassed expectations, so to see the Wolves at .500 isn't very surprising, and I think he has done a great job with Luke and Rubio ALWAYS should be up for ROY. He just knows how to bring out the best in players, very excited for Wolves fans

AddiX
02-23-2012, 03:32 PM

I don't see how being a barely above .500 team will win a coach a coy award, I just don't see it, especially since no one really pays attention to Minnesota, media wise or fan wise.

Rubio has become non-existent over the last few weeks, everyone has completely forgotten about him, and in turn, have forgotten about Minnesota.

If minny pulls off a big trade and makes bigger improvements than maybe we have something to talk about.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:39 PM
I don't see how being a barely above .500 team will win a coach a coy award, I just don't see it, especially since no one really pays attention to Minnesota, media wise or fan wise.

Rubio has become non-existent over the last few weeks, everyone has completely forgotten about him, and in turn, have forgotten about Minnesota.

If minny pulls off a big trade and makes bigger improvements than maybe we have something to talk about.

Did my point sail over your head? Improving a teams winning % by 30+% will get voters attention. The media and fans don't follow Minnesota? Are you serious? They are getting more love now then they have since 03-04' from the media. They sell out games, they have arguably the flashiest player in the league whom the media loves, multiple representatives during all star weekend, etc, etc.

Linsanity may have forced New Yorkers to forget about Minnesota, but they are getting plenty of media coverage this year.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:40 PM
we already have the evidence it can be done Addix. Sam Mitchell. If Adelman leads the Wolves to the playoffs, he will have easily exceeded the improvements Mitchell made in Toronto during his COY season. Its possible Adelman wins, the precedent is already there.

Randy West
02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
He has a shot, Rubio is not the reason times have changed in Minny. I think if he gets the team to the playoffs he should have as good a shot as any of the other guys.

AddiX
02-23-2012, 03:45 PM
I disagree but that's fine, I havnt seen anyone mention Minnesota here in weeks. And while psd doesn't mean much, it does give you a good idea of what people are talking about.

30+ win isn't that impressive when you were the worst teaming the NBA last year and are barely above .500. A big improvement was expected by most people IMO, the bar was pretty low, I think even you would admit that.

You can sam Mitchell all you want. Most coaches who win have 50+ wins.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I disagree but that's fine, I havnt seen anyone mention Minnesota here in weeks. And while psd doesn't mean much, it does give you a good idea of what people are talking about.

30+ win isn't that impressive when you were the worst teaming the NBA last year and are barely above .500. A big improvement was expected by most people IMO, the bar was pretty low, I think even you would admit that.

The bar was set by the mainstream media at around 23-25 wins. He will exceed that fairly easily. And as I said, the precedent has been set already with Sam Mitchell. Adelman is also getting plenty of mention from the mid-season awards on most sports websites, so he is on the radar. If the Wolves make the playoffs in the west (you need to be above .500 in the west, so it would take an even stronger 2nd half by them), he is a strong CANDIDATE. Didn't say he was a lock to win it if they make the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

As recently as 2000, a coach who went 41-41 won COY. If a gutter team makes a huge improvement, history shows they have a great chance at COY. New coach, new players, new offense, new defense, no practice time, 17-17. The 2nd half of the season, barring injury, should be better for the Wolves as their continued chemistry builds. Again, I am simply trying to lay out a case for Adelman being in the conversation, not trying to sell him to you as THE COY.

sep11ie
02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Although I'm not his biggest fan, McHale seems to have Houston on the right track.

twin4life
02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Im going to say Collins BUT if Adelman pushes the FO to go out and get a player like (Redick, Martin, you know a scorer/3pt sniper) This Twolves team could make noise in the playoffs and then he should win it.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Although I'm not his biggest fan, McHale seems to have Houston on the right track.

He will have a tough time winning COY unless Houston can jump a few teams in the west by the end of the year. The Rox were already an above average team last year.

I actually think he is a solid coach. Players love playing for them, they play hard, and the dude was on Cheers. How can you not like him?

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Im going to say Collins BUT if Adelman pushes the FO to go out and get a player like (Redick, Martin, you know a scorer/3pt sniper) This Twolves team could make noise in the playoffs and then he should win it.

the voting would have nothing to do with the way the Wolves play in the playoffs. Besides, if we get there this year, OKC or Dallas will destroy us haha.

AddiX
02-23-2012, 04:00 PM

As recently as 2000, a coach who went 41-41 won COY. If a gutter team makes a huge improvement, history shows they have a great chance at COY. New coach, new players, new offense, new defense, no practice time, 17-17. The 2nd half of the season, barring injury, should be better for the Wolves as their continued chemistry builds. Again, I am simply trying to lay out a case for Adelman being in the conversation, not trying to sell him to you as THE COY.

It's all good, I understand, I just don't see how we can talk about him being coty as a sub .500 coach. 50+ wins seems like the bar, sam Mitchell is the exception. and like I said, the bar was set real low.

If you guys make a big trade, which you should, minny may have a legit shot to even be a 6th seed which than we can tall about him being a coty.

AWC713
02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
dont know what makes a guy like adelman any more of a favorite than kevin mchale...mchale has taken a blue collar team to the 6th seed, in a very competitive west with no all stars. yet no one talks about them or the rockets. just sayin.

AWC713
02-23-2012, 04:03 PM
^^adelmans team not only isnt in the playoffs, but has a roster i would dream to have. kevin love is the best pf in the game right now, and they have a lot of talent surrounding him. rubio, d williams, wesley, rubio, beasley are all top 5 picks around love.

Confusious
02-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Thibodeau isn't amused.

Vincent
02-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Regardless of the award or if NY media cares. Adelman has been equally as importnant if not more then Rubio this year.

He's made some pretty key coaching moves. I would say he's the major reason why the Wolves are playing well.

He's done a great job. Especially with the youth on their roster and lack of players with defined roles.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 04:07 PM
dont know what makes a guy like adelman any more of a favorite than kevin mchale...mchale has taken a blue collar team to the 6th seed, in a very competitive west with no all stars. yet no one talks about them or the rockets. just sayin.

The Rockets weren't pure garbage last year is why. McHale would have to get them a top 2-3 seed to even be in the conversation.

Lowry got slightly shafted, but other than that, Houston is a collection of late lottery picks. They have like 10 really good role players, 1 legit future star, and that is about it. They have been collecting talent for years, trying to flip a bunch of it for a star. It hasn't worked out yet.

twin4life
02-23-2012, 04:19 PM
the voting would have nothing to do with the way the Wolves play in the playoffs. Besides, if we get there this year, OKC or Dallas will destroy us haha.

I know the playoffs have nothing to do but you think of the games we could have won this year with a guy like Kevin Martin on the team!! and are you talking about the Dallas team that we have handled very well this year?! :) come on Hawk!!!

MagicHero3
02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
is he still starting wesley johnson?

if yes, than enough said.

twin4life
02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
is he still starting wesley johnson?

if yes, than enough said.

Ill trade you Beasley for Redick straight up.

Hellcrooner
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
well the question here is.

Do we credit Adelman for Pekovics game?

what is more important to team new record the rookies( rubio and deron) or the coaching?

He should definelty be considered IMO.

Sadds The Gr8
02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Right now I have it:

1) Mchale
2) Popovich
3) Collins
4) Vogel
5) Adelman

If The Rockets make the playoffs then I think Mchale gets it for sure.

Raph12
02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Gotta be D'Antoni; best coach ever... Seriously though, if the Spurs keep this up, I don't see how Pop doesn't get it.

MagicHero3
02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Ill trade you Beasley for Redick straight up.

done. ill send you the paperwork today.

ChiSox219
02-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Thibs or Collins

twin4life
02-23-2012, 04:54 PM
done. ill send you the paperwork today.

Ill throw in Wes for your best washer and dryer + a dozen balls.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 04:55 PM
There has never been a back to back COY. Thibs is out. Collins has a case right now, lets see where the Sixers finish with a much tougher second 33 then their first.

As I said, a strong historical case can be made for a coach who takes a team in the gutter and leads them to the playoffs. So IF the Wolves sneak in, I think there is a stong chance he wins it.

Keep in mind as well, Rick Adelman has been a highly respected coach for a long time. And never won COY. That can factor in as well, sort of a lifetime achievement award.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Ill throw in Wes for your best washer and dryer + a dozen balls.

the trade was fine until you made it lopsided with this addition...

twin4life
02-23-2012, 05:00 PM
trying to get the most out of it maybe Ill get a counter offer!

ChiSox219
02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
There has never been a back to back COY. Thibs is out.

:confused:

Hawkeye15
02-23-2012, 09:17 PM
:confused:

well, its not a rule I guess haha, but its VERY unlikely they give Thibs the nod after he won it last year.

Again, I am simply presenting the case for Adelman if the Wolves man up and make the playoffs. That would require something around a 36-30 record, meaning an increase in winning percentage of over 30%. When a gutter team gets to the playoffs in 1 season, history shows their coach has a nice shot at winning COY.

sunsfan88
02-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Rick Adelman
Greg Popovich
Doug Collins
Vinny Delnegro

^^those are my 4 canditates for COY with Kevin McHale maybe in it as well.

tbone2171
02-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Did Thibs retire?

Who's Thibs?

Chronz
02-24-2012, 02:09 AM

That was a helluva coaching job tho, he had nothing but expiring contracts on that team.

Chronz
02-24-2012, 02:11 AM

The Rockets weren't pure garbage last year is why. McHale would have to get them a top 2-3 seed to even be in the conversation.

Lowry got slightly shafted, but other than that, Houston is a collection of late lottery picks. They have like 10 really good role players, 1 legit future star, and that is about it. They have been collecting talent for years, trying to flip a bunch of it for a star. It hasn't worked out yet.
Which one you think had more talent ?

Lol at Vinny tho, we have had a huge turnaround but cmon

jam
02-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Doug Collins FTW.

PurpleJesus
02-24-2012, 04:19 AM
How can anyone deny that Adelman would get consideration for COY if the Wolves make the playoffs? This thread has gone into discussion of "would Adelman get consideration," and some people say he wouldnt....thats just ridiculous. Adelman is easily in top 5 COY consideration, not only if the Wolves make the playoffs, but if they finish above 500

Hawkeye15
02-24-2012, 09:58 AM

More talent? Between the Rockets and Wolves? The Rockets have more talent across the roster, the Wolves the best player.

Vinny isn't in the convo, no. Chris Paul makes every coach look better.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
That was a helluva coaching job tho, he had nothing but expiring contracts on that team.

For sure it was. But the media doesn't dig all that deep when voting for awards, this much should be obvious. If a coach takes a gutter team to the playoffs in one season, they get strong consideration. Factor in Adelman has never won COY despite being regarded as a future HOF'er, and if, IF, the Wolves end up making the playoffs out west, I imagine he has as good a shot as anyone.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2012, 10:01 AM
How can anyone deny that Adelman would get consideration for COY if the Wolves make the playoffs? This thread has gone into discussion of "would Adelman get consideration," and some people say he wouldnt....thats just ridiculous. Adelman is easily in top 5 COY consideration, not only if the Wolves make the playoffs, but if they finish above 500

Exactly. He is already getting consideration from every site I have seen.

Hellcrooner
02-24-2012, 11:06 AM
More talent? Between the Rockets and Wolves? The Rockets have more talent across the roster, the Wolves the best player.

mmmm know what?

probably wolves ahve the three best players, the difference is the other 12 in wolves rosters rank under the whole 15 of rockets roster.

dhopisthename
02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
If the Wolves make the playoffs he will get strong consideration. Outside that scenario, probably not.

I think this is the answer or even if with say a month or two left they have a chance considering this teams history

Mishmin
02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Got to be the big homie Doug Collins

Chronz
02-24-2012, 11:33 AM

I meant between the 2 Rox teams, last year vs today

Chronz
02-24-2012, 11:35 AM

For sure it was. But the media doesn't dig all that deep when voting for awards, this much should be obvious. If a coach takes a gutter team to the playoffs in one season, they get strong consideration. Factor in Adelman has never won COY despite being regarded as a future HOF'er, and if, IF, the Wolves end up making the playoffs out west, I imagine he has as good a shot as anyone.
What do you mean, what do you think was the reasoning for Doc winning it? Sounds like you don't remember that year.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2012, 11:50 AM
mmmm know what?

probably wolves ahve the three best players, the difference is the other 12 in wolves rosters rank under the whole 15 of rockets roster.

Lowry is better than Rubio and Pek.

Bigus Dogus
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Since KG left this franchise was an absolute joke, and the worst years were the last two. 32 wins over the last 164 games. The Wolves were trending downward, had an awful coach with a ridiculous system, and a lot of people nationally laughed at the GM and the roster outside of Love. Even after Rubio arrived with Williams, most people thought the pick that Went to NO was a guaranteed lottery pick.

Three months later the Wolves have played .500 on the road, are 12 - 8 against the west, have beaten three division leaders (SA (x2), Phi, LAC), and had road wins against SA, HOU, LAC, and DAL. If the wolves win 35 games, they will have won 3 more games in a strike shortened year than they won the previous two full seasons.

All things being equal I think Pop is COY thus far, but the wolves franchise is no longer a joke, is clearly trending upward, and you have to give consideration to Adelman for that.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I meant between the 2 Rox teams, last year vs today

its similar, but if you add in down years from Scola and Martin, I think this years talent level may be even with the play of Parsons and Lee, along with Lowry being better, and Dalembert giving them someone over 6'8" with a pulse, even if he went through the doghouse temporarily.

Hellcrooner
02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Lowry is better than Rubio and Pek.

You do know that Rubio has played his BEST games vs Lowry do you?

Hawkeye15
02-24-2012, 12:00 PM
What do you mean, what do you think was the reasoning for Doc winning it? Sounds like you don't remember that year.

I don't specifically remember the contract status of each player on that roster, Outside Bosh, it was mostly a team that resembled a patch job of role players, or young guys unproven if I remember correctly. Mitchell did get them to overachieve I thought, and Mitchell got them to up their defensive efficiency big time to compete and win 20ish more games that year.

My point when bringing up Mitchell, is that he is one of many who have already set the precedent that you don't need to be a coach of a 50+ win team to win COY. Simply making a really bad team better than average will do it some years.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
You do know that Rubio has played his BEST games vs Lowry do you?

By that reasoing, Deron is better than Paul, Melo better than LeBron.

If only head to heads were the end all to evaluating.

Lowry is better than Rubio right now.