PDA

View Full Version : A Look Back: Knicks made right move amnestying Billups.

nycericanguy
02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Alot was made about how "dumb" NY was to amnesty Billups even though he was an expiring, and it left them without a PG. But Billups in his short stint with NY was always hurt, it was apparently the beginning of the end for him.

This year before getting hurt Billups was shooting a career low 36% from the field. And the injury he had was not due to contact, it was like his leg just literally gave out. You have to think that would have happened eventually in NY as well.

Instead NY turned Billups into Tyson Chandler, who has been incredibly efficient, a great leader & teammate, and has helped NY go from one of the worst defensive teams to a top 10 defensive team.

And of course Billups gone opened the door for NY to sign Jeremy Lin, who at 23, may have just solved NY's PG problems for the next decade.

And while CP3 sounded sexy, it would have meant gutting the team again. Lin, Fields, Shump, Harrelson, Chandler, Smith, Douglas, Davis, Novak and co probably would have had to have been let go or never could have signed. Knicks instead built a TEAM.

On the other hand, can you imagine what kind of trouble NY would be in if they kept Billups and he ended up going down after 20 games like he did in LA?

Knicks would have NO PG, NO center, and Lin would probably have long been signed by someone else. A lottery team with no pick in the draft.

For once, since 1985...it looks like the Knicks caught a break of good luck and fortune.

Ty Fast
02-23-2012, 11:32 AM
ya but giving tyson chandler that kind of money wasnt very smart but the knicks arnt known for their smarts so i guess all is well

29$JerZ
02-23-2012, 11:36 AM
ya but giving tyson chandler that kind of money wasnt very smart but the knicks arnt known for their smarts so i guess all is well

Melo and Amare are on max contracts for 4 years
Tyson is on contract for 4 years
His salary was not an issue. We won't be under the Cap for at least 4 years
And given the ridiculous amounts of money Centers make just because their Centers like Emeka/Kwame he is on a good deal

nycericanguy
02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
And given the ridiculous amounts of money Centers make just because their Centers like Emeka/Kwame he is on a good deal

Agreed, Chandler is an absolute game changer, he's impressed me. He's earned his money more than Melo & Stat this year, thats for sure. I don't think he's overpaid at all. He know his role, doesn't take bad shots, that's why he's shooting an insane 70% from the field.

I think there's a reason DAL finally won a title after 13 years with Dirk when Chandler arrived.

Yankees22
02-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Tyson has earned every penny this year. The dude's a blast to watch. Brings passion and leadership to the game and is usually good for a double double most night. Love that guy

Ty Fast
02-23-2012, 11:43 AM

you do make some good points bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbut.............. knicks still suck!!!

LongIslandIcedZ
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
you do make some good points bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbut.............. knicks still suck!!!

while I found this a little funny, its obvious you bring nothing to the table.

Chandler is worth every penny they spent on him, he has done more for this team than Billups ever could.

He has helped make the Knicks one of the top defensive teams in the entire league. This is the same Knicks team that has been infamous for not playing D at all. Not only that he is playing extremely efficient offensively. If the Knicks dont get Chandler they dont get Lin, and with that the Linning would not ensue.

nycericanguy
02-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Take it a step further, Knicks don't get Lin without the Melo trade.

They would have had Felton at PG, so Lin would have never been signed.

Knicks ended up with Melo, Chandler & Lin directly and indirectly from that trade.

ghettosean
02-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Tyson has earned every penny this year. The dude's a blast to watch. Brings passion and leadership to the game and is usually good for a double double most night. Love that guy
Yeah I have to agree with this Chandler is a pleasure to watch and I wish he was on my team... He almost was until MJ squashed the deal... ****ING MJ!!!

Glad he won with Dallas though :)

ghettosean
02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Alot was made about how "dumb" NY was to amnesty Billups even though he was an expiring, and it left them without a PG. But Billups in his short stint with NY was always hurt, it was apparently the beginning of the end for him.

This year before getting hurt Billups was shooting a career low 36% from the field. And the injury he had was not due to contact, it was like his leg just literally gave out. You have to think that would have happened eventually in NY as well.

Instead NY turned Billups into Tyson Chandler, who has been incredibly efficient, a great leader & teammate, and has helped NY go from one of the worst defensive teams to a top 10 defensive team.

And of course Billups gone opened the door for NY to sign Jeremy Lin, who at 23, may have just solved NY's PG problems for the next decade.

And while CP3 sounded sexy, it would have meant gutting the team again. Lin, Fields, Shump, Harrelson, Chandler, Smith, Douglas, Davis, Novak and co probably would have had to have been let go or never could have signed. Knicks instead built a TEAM.

On the other hand, can you imagine what kind of trouble NY would be in if they kept Billups and he ended up going down after 20 games like he did in LA?

Knicks would have NO PG, NO center, and Lin would probably have long been signed by someone else. A lottery team with no pick in the draft.

For once, since 1985...it looks like the Knicks caught a break of good luck and fortune.
I pretty much agree with this.... It's hard not to when you look at the results for the Knicks.

Kashmir13579
02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
People act like Chandler aint bringin' the fire every night. :pity:

king4day
02-23-2012, 12:00 PM
You can't mention Lin here. It only opened the door for them because they were as desperate as a team could get.
It happend to work out but if Lin doesn't do what he's doing then the thread title is reversed.

Kashmir13579
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM
You can't mention Lin here. It only opened the door for them because they were as desperate as a team could get.
It happend to work out but if Lin doesn't do what he's doing then the thread title is reversed.

Agreed. Lin fell into the Knicks lap because the stars alligned.

nycericanguy
02-23-2012, 12:04 PM

I wouldn't go that far. Billups & Felton leaving of course opened the door for Lin.

But even if NY only got Chandler, they would be better off. Billups was not very likely to make it through this season for NY. And NY without Lin could still go out this summer and use their MLE on any number of good PG's such as Nash, Miller, Nelson, Felton, Sessions, Dragic...etc.

Now try finding a center they could have signed this summer had they kept Billups... thats a much shorter list.

Slimsim
02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Chandler has been our best consistent player brings it every night and no longer makes us a joke on Defense

And since this isn't a troll NY thread i doubt anyone responds

lkingratedr
02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
The melo trade opened up A lot it allowed us to recieve and amnesty billups sign chandler who took the knicks from being ranked in the bottom defenses to top 5 right now ... Allowed us to sign baron Davis Steve novak and Jr smith cause he probably would have never came here if not for melo and also sadly it got us mike bibby ...

lkingratedr
02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Oh and how can I forget with no point guard we had to sign Jeremy Lin ... Yeahhhhhhhh

Rockice_8
02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
I liked the move form the beginning. Chandler was exactly what this team was missing. I guess overall its a good move but was the Melo move a good one? How about the Amare move? It all about the championships so if they bring in a ring then yes it'll be a good move.

nycericanguy
02-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I liked the move form the beginning. Chandler was exactly what this team was missing. I guess overall its a good move but was the Melo move a good one? How about the Amare move? It all about the championships so if they bring in a ring then yes it'll be a good move.

One move led to the other.

Melo probably doesn't want to come here without Amare.

Lin doesn't get signed if Knicks hadn't traded for Melo as they would still have Felton locked up.

Chandler has openly said he came to NY to play with Melo & Amare, otherwise he would have gone to GS.

Slimsim
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Well so far felton has sucked *** And Although denver has injury issues just like every other team they have fallen back to earth

NYY NYJ NYK
02-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Chandler has been our best consistent player brings it every night and no longer makes us a joke on Defense

And since this isn't a troll NY thread i doubt anyone responds

Sadly you are right

Bobshirleyrules
02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
When you have an Allstar quality PG making peanuts your team hits lottery (he shouldn't worry Nike is paying him a fortune with the Lin Shoe...I kid you not). The question of course is whether the chemistry is right elsewhere. Chandler is a given. But Amare and Anthony are still question marks as to whether will mesh. If they do the Knicks have a starting 5 which will consist of 4 ALL star players. But a team of allstars doesn't always win.

As for this post. Its spot on and about time. I believe the Knicks started this terrible streak when they traded Patrick Ewing. I'm not saying Ewing wasn't finished....he was. What you had with Ewing was a big contract that was about to expire. What you got was a bunch of fat contracts and a guarantee the Knicks would be over the salary cap with those contracts for the next 10 years. To make things worse Isiah Thomas added more to that problem by collecting other expensive problems.

FINALLY the Knicks catch a break!. Even if Carmelo and/or Amare don't work out in the mix, these are good players and could be traded to make the Knicks a better TEAM.

The rest of this season will dictate where this organization can/will go. If they win the first round and push either Miami or Chicago to 6 or 7 games (or do better), this team is set for a long time (although Baron Davis and JR are likely not going to be back). The Knicks are in a very strong position to be a good team for a long time! Tonight will be a big night, a Knick win in my view would be a shot heard around the world. Simply put the Knicks won't be sneaking up on Miami, they will be playing on the road, and will be on the other end of a back to back. A win here means that in the Lin era the team would have defeated the 2010 champs and both 2011 finalists.

D-Leethal
02-23-2012, 12:42 PM
How is Chandler overpaid?

If anything he is underpaid. Dude has single handedly brought us up from 27th in DRanking to 7th. That is unheard of. He realistically should be DPOY even though LeBron will probably get it. The dude is also shooting 70%, averaging a double double, and brings Championship pedigree to the locker room. And why do people say he is overpaid in the first place? Dude makes less than NeNe if I am not mistaken.......Correct me if I am wrong but we also gave him less than GSW offered, no?

D-Leethal
02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
When you have an Allstar quality PG making peanuts your team hits lottery (he shouldn't worry Nike is paying him a fortune with the Lin Shoe...I kid you not). The question of course is whether the chemistry is right elsewhere. Chandler is a given. But Amare and Anthony are still question marks as to whether will mesh. If they do the Knicks have a starting 5 which will consist of 4 ALL star players. But a team of allstars doesn't always win.

As for this post. Its spot on and about time. I believe the Knicks started this terrible streak when they traded Patrick Ewing. I'm not saying Ewing wasn't finished....he was. What you had with Ewing was a big contract that was about to expire. What you got was a bunch of fat contracts and a guarantee the Knicks would be over the salary cap with those contracts for the next 10 years. To make things worse Isiah Thomas added more to that problem by collecting other expensive problems.

FINALLY the Knicks catch a break!. Even if Carmelo and/or Amare don't work out in the mix, these are good players and could be traded to make the Knicks a better TEAM.

The rest of this season will dictate where this organization can/will go. If they win the first round and push either Miami or Chicago to 6 or 7 games (or do better), this team is set for a long time (although Baron Davis and JR are likely not going to be back). The Knicks are in a very strong position to be a good team for a long time! Tonight will be a big night, a Knick win in my view would be a shot heard around the world. Simply put the Knicks won't be sneaking up on Miami, they will be playing on the road, and will be on the other end of a back to back. A win here means that in the Lin era the team would have defeated the 2010 champs and both 2011 finalists.

Knick fans are more worried about Amare than Melo. Melo and Lin are already playing off each other like they've done it for years. Amare has yet to join the party.

Bobshirleyrules
02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
while I found this a little funny, its obvious you bring nothing to the table.

Chandler is worth every penny they spent on him, he has done more for this team than Billups ever could.

He has helped make the Knicks one of the top defensive teams in the entire league. This is the same Knicks team that has been infamous for not playing D at all. Not only that he is playing extremely efficient offensively. If the Knicks dont get Chandler they dont get Lin, and with that the Linning would not ensue.

I agree with your post but not your signature the Top 4 NY Teams have 41 Championships, you are missing the 4 the Giants won prior to the Superbowl era. Of course one could argue that the Boston/New England Patriots didn't enter the league since 1960...so on an apples to apples I guess your correct.

Missing56&33
02-23-2012, 12:52 PM
A Look Back: Knicks made right move amnestying Billups.

Glen Grunwald has done a great job so far as interim GM. Yes, I would say amnestying Billups was a good move. Feel sorry as hell for Billups though, with the achillies tendon, love his game. Hoping Glen can get something done during the All Star break that could improve our front court depth. He's done a great job thus far. If this thing continues north, Grunwald will be GM of the year.

GiantsSwaGG
02-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Tyson Chandler is a top 5 C in the league....how in the world he's overpaid?

SeoulBeatz
02-23-2012, 01:02 PM
The knicks F.O doesn't deserve any credit for amnestying Billups.

They were ONE GAME away from CUTTING Lin.

They got extremely lucky with his great play right out of the gate. That has nothing to do with good scouting or good management. Even D'Antoni admitted he had no idea what he had.

Just saying.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-23-2012, 01:04 PM

They got extremely lucky with his great play right out of the gate. That has nothing to do with good scouting or good management. Even D'Antoni admitted he had no idea what he had.

Just saying.

Chandler improved the team defense from the bottom tier in the league to the top tier in the leage in one year. So yes the Knicks F.O does get credit for those moves.

latinofire21
02-23-2012, 01:09 PM

Just saying.

Regardless they made the unpopular move. Lin was overlooked by the league. The knicks gave him a D League stint and was the only PG on the roster. I agree if Douglas showed anything we wouldnt have seen Lin but he didnt and the Management brought Lin to NY. They get credit for brining him here. They also got Novak who has been a journeyman his whole career. They brought back Jefferies which was an unpopular move to the fan base at the time and now the guy is turning into a fan favorite. The only move that I still look at and think why is Bibby, but even then he tries his hardest he just doesnt have it anymore.

icon1914
02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
In hindsight, it all worked out... but my issue with the amnesty Billups thing is the fact that we picked up his team option... we could have just rejected it... and still signed Chandler, still had a problem at the point that would have led to a young player getting the chance... and still had an amnesty just in case we needed it...

I'm not complaining, we are in a good position now... but we could have had the same the thing and an amnesty if we played our cards correctly.

nycericanguy
02-23-2012, 01:31 PM
In hindsight, it all worked out... but my issue with the amnesty Billups thing is the fact that we picked up his team option... we could have just rejected it... and still signed Chandler, still had a problem at the point that would have led to a young player getting the chance... and still had an amnesty just in case we needed it...

I'm not complaining, we are in a good position now... but we could have had the same the thing and an amnesty if we played our cards correctly.

Common misconception, but not true. Billups had a $4m buyout that would have counted against the cap had NY NOT picked up the option. So NY would have been left with only about $10m in cap space. I doubt Chandler would have signed for that.

Also when NY picked up the option CP3 was still on the radar.

Crackadalic
02-23-2012, 01:34 PM
We dodge a bullet. Love Billups but he was too injury prone. It would have been hell in NY if he got injured with the rest of the season

Da Knicks
02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
We finally caught a break, the same with Lin, Smith signing, Novak signing, Baron will also be a big piece going forward. Harrelson was another pleasant surprise with the 2nd round pick and Shump looks like the steal of the draft so far. The stars aligned at the perfect time for the knicks this has being a real treat being a knick fan for such a long time. I can honestly say this is the most talented team we have seen in a very long time. If the chemistry comes together it could be a very special year for the knicks.

Missing56&33
02-23-2012, 02:16 PM

Just saying.

^^^^^^^This makes no sense what so ever. It has everything to do with good scouting and management. The goal going into the season was to try and acquire another top FA. Billups contract was an expiring so picking up the option was not a bad move. It gave the Knicks options. Chris Paul , Tyson Chandler......amnestying Billups came about with the Tyson Chandler signing(had nothing to do with Lin) The main goal was to sign Chandler. Now we needed a PG, with Billups gone and Chris Paul out of the picture. It was the FO that had like Lin in workouts in the past.

But with that being said, all basketball moves have FO input. Also Lin did not have success right out of the gate....we sent him to Dleague.

xnick5757
02-23-2012, 02:21 PM
yes right now it appears that they made the right move because of how well lin is doing, but you are forgetting the biggest thing they gave up - the amnesty clause

the amnesty clause was going to be insurance on STAT's knees.

now, if/when he get's injured his 21/23 mil cap hit will be on the books, with no way to remove it.

they would have been better off not picking up billup's option to begin with

nycericanguy
02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
yes right now it appears that they made the right move because of how well lin is doing, but you are forgetting the biggest thing they gave up - the amnesty clause

the amnesty clause was going to be insurance on STAT's knees.

now, if/when he get's injured his 21/23 mil cap hit will be on the books, with no way to remove it.

they would have been better off not picking up billup's option to begin with

Even if you remove Stats $20m off the cap, Knicks still won't have any cap space once they pay Lin & Fields this summer. So unless you're just genuinely concerned that Dolan is spending too much of his own money, this isn't a concern. Knicks are not going to have cap space for 3-4 years, period.

Stat hasn't had knee problems in 7 years... he's just labeled as being injury prone because its the popular thing to say.

Billups had a $4m buyout that would have counted against the cap had NY NOT picked up the option. So NY would have been left with only about $10m in cap space. I doubt Chandler would have signed for that.

Slimsim
02-23-2012, 03:05 PM
look how empty this positive thread is lol