PDA

View Full Version : Lebron as a player..

chi-townlove1
02-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Simple question. Is LeBron a better 1 vs. 1 offensive player, or a better man on man defender? Feel free to give elaborate answers. I hate LeBron as much as the next guy, but I have started to actually recognize just how good of a defender he is and it got me thinking.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Offensive.

His defense wont stop the best of the best.

But his offense can surely compete with anyone.

justinnum1
02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
He holds opposing fowards to less than 10 PER, all while putting up crazy numbers on great efficiency. Tough question, i said offense.

deaner
02-22-2012, 12:00 PM
are you a part of the new LBJ PR campaign?

Not one, not two hasn't proved anything yet... except that he wants his old life back and would go back to Cleveland.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Offense. The man cant be stoped.

ChicagoRox
02-22-2012, 12:13 PM
The man (even though he is still a douche) is the best all around player in the NBA. He can light you up for forty while playing 1st Team NBA defense.

Da Knicks
02-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I say defense because he has no post up game on offense and that will always be his failure! His team defense is good and his man to man was great against Rose last year...

xxplayerxx23
02-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Offense, he is a great defender but has a tough time stoping durant and Melo type offensive players, But he is a great overall player. How many Lebron threads do we have?

justinnum1
02-22-2012, 12:20 PM
I say defense because he has no post up game on offense and that will always be his failure! His team defense is good and his man to man was great against Rose last year...

false. totally false

James has the highest field goal percentage on post-ups in the league. Among the 34 players this season with at least 75 post-up plays so far this season, James tops them all with a 55.4 field goal percentage on the block. Carl Landry, who is about as crafty as they come on the block, comes in second with a 51.9 percent conversion rate. Kobe Bryant (46.5), Dwyane Wade (46.2) and Dwight Howard (48.0)? All look up at James in the post-up rankings.

You were saying? :laugh2:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/12441/after-much-promise-lebron-thriving-in-post

Bring The Heat
02-22-2012, 12:28 PM
false. totally false

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/12441/after-much-promise-lebron-thriving-in-post

Lol someone just got owned :clap: good find

xxplayerxx23
02-22-2012, 12:34 PM
he has improved in the post, but in no way is that his specialty, I dont care what stat you find, thats not what hes going to in clutch time, IMO he is a better offensivley player, he is the only one that can stop him

chi-townlove1
02-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Offense. The man cant be stoped.

You kidding. Jeremy Lin could shut him down ;)

nickdymez
02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
lol@ People looking up stats to prove that Lebron is a dominate post up player.

Anyway, id clearly say offense because he's not stopping someone his own size with above average offensive abilities (Durant, Melo, etc) He did a good job on Rose because he's a foot taller than him. If that's the case I want to see him stick Howard and stop him.

gotoHcarolina52
02-22-2012, 01:27 PM
"We don't need no filthy stats. We have eyes! We can see for ourselves!" - The Blind

kozelkid
02-22-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd always take offense from a perimeter player. Even a defender as dominant as Lebron. Finding defenders, especially in terms of trade or market value is always easier.

Dade County
02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
false. totally false

Quote:
James has the highest field goal percentage on post-ups in the league. Among the 34 players this season with at least 75 post-up plays so far this season, James tops them all with a 55.4 field goal percentage on the block. Carl Landry, who is about as crafty as they come on the block, comes in second with a 51.9 percent conversion rate. Kobe Bryant (46.5), Dwyane Wade (46.2) and Dwight Howard (48.0)? All look up at James in the post-up rankings.

You know you could have private message him right... thats uncalled for.

nickdymez
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
"We don't need no filthy stats. We have eyes! We can see for ourselves!" - The Blind

"Stats tell the whole story" - The dumb

Hawkize31
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:

Sure he could have, but this was way funnier for the rest of us. Hater got owned.

johnwayne
02-22-2012, 01:42 PM
If I went by a rating system, I'd say his offense is a 97 and his defense is a 93....truth is, he's great on offense AND defense, and hands down, the best player in the league, and thats comming from a die hard bulls fan. I'm just an honest die-hard bulls fan.

justinnum1
02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
lol@ People looking up stats to prove that Lebron is a dominate post up player.

Anyway, id clearly say offense because he's not stopping someone his own size with above average offensive abilities (Durant, Melo, etc) He did a good job on Rose because he's a foot taller than him. If that's the case I want to see him stick Howard and stop him.

Never said he was dominant at it, just showing the poster that said he has "NO post up game" was wrong

nickdymez
02-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Never said he was dominant at it, just showing the poster that said he has "NO post up game" was wrong

I think when people say that, they actually mean he should be better at it.

ghettosean
02-22-2012, 03:04 PM
It's clearly offense... He's not Dwight or Chandler but he can more than hold his own on defense but on offense I can't say much there is no comparisons to say... Well he's not blah blah blah.

Offense

ThunderousDemon
02-22-2012, 03:15 PM
What's with all of these Lebron threads all of sudden. It almost seems like it's....................Lebronsanity. :speechless:

justinnum1
02-22-2012, 03:28 PM

Better? no, use it more often? yes. But he is the most efficient post up player. Even when he;s not scoring out the post, he commands a double and miami usually scores when he attracts attention in the post. Watch a heat game and he is there a lot more than at anytime in his career. Still has work to do but its been a noticeable improvement over last season.

ztilzer31
02-22-2012, 03:31 PM
What's with all of these Lebron threads all of sudden. It almost seems like it's....................Lebronsanity. :speechless:

Yeah, but in fairness I feel like people are just finally able to look at Lebron in a non biased view. People couldn't have intelligent conversations about Lebron for the last year. Any person can watch Lebron for 10 minutes and realize he's the best player in the NBA. Heat games are the most exciting games in basketball that people refuse to watch because of some stupid grudge. There's a lot of literally horrible people in the NBA people, Lebron is not one of them.

The fact that Lebron can switch onto any person while on defense and create a mismatch for the opposing team is just unfair though. Sense you're just saying one on one though, I'd have to say it's his offense. His improvements in the post have been amazing, and somehow he seems to still be getting better every year in all aspects of his game. The man trained with Hakeem, and that guy was the best post up center ever IMO. I watch him go +30 ppg against Dennis Rodman and David Robinson.

nickdymez
02-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Better? no, use it more often? yes. But he is the most efficient post up player. Even when he;s not scoring out the post, he commands a double and miami usually scores when he attracts attention in the post. Watch a heat game and he is there a lot more than at anytime in his career. Still has work to do but its been a noticeable improvement over last season.

I agree. I watch most Heat games because they are usually the most entertaining.

Da Knicks
02-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Exactly, his footwork has alot to be desired and he just doesn't seem comfortable when he does post up. They can bring all the stats they want or we can just watch the mavs vs heat series all over where Kidd and Terry took on him and he had no answer- thats what i call getting owned!:speechless::D

smith&wesson
02-22-2012, 03:49 PM
for a small forward lebron has great vision and is a great passer. he also rebounds the ball very well. He can gaurd positions 1 through 4 and the best offensive player on aposing teams.

his scoring is elite but its the other aspects of the game that make him truly great.

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:

Let me guess, that's a quote from the great Miami Heat beat writer Tom Haberstroh, the obsessed guy who is on Twitter 24/7 raving about the Miami Heat.

Jesus Christ, every time I go on ESPN.com/NBA and go to the twitter feed on the main page, I see like 50 tweets from the guy in a span of 15 minutes only talking about the Heat and LeBron and Wade and Bosh and PER and how an assistant coach went to the opposing team's bench to talk to a former Miami "HEAT" player. It's kind of annoying to be honest.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. :phew:

To answer the OP's question, LeBron better offensive player than defensive player.

justinnum1
02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Let me guess, that's a quote from the great Miami Heat beat writer Tom Haberstroh, the obsessed guy who is on Twitter 24/7 raving about the Miami Heat.

Jesus Christ, every time I go on ESPN.com/NBA and go to the twitter feed on the main page, I see like 50 tweets from the guy in a span of 15 minutes only talking about the Heat and LeBron and Wade and Bosh and PER and how an assistant coach went to the opposing team's bench to talk to a former Miami "HEAT" player. It's kind of annoying to be honest.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. :phew:

To answer the OP's question, LeBron better offensive player than defensive player.

Besides the fact he backs everything up with stats...

Sactown
02-22-2012, 06:11 PM
He dominated the Kings with his defense last night

SportsFanatic10
02-22-2012, 06:50 PM
when talking 1 on 1 great offense beats great defense so i'll say hes better on offense. and yes lebron does have a post game now, still doesn't use it enough but saying lebron can't play in the post is soo last yr.

Missing56&33
02-22-2012, 06:54 PM
I have to say he's a better defender than offensive player.

Fnom11
02-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Great offenses beat great defenses all the time.

naps
02-22-2012, 10:23 PM

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. :phew: v by

who the hell cares who wrote that when it's all backed up with stats and facts??? it's not like he's bringing in intangibles like most kobe fans do when they have nothing else to bring in.