PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Amare? :(

shep33
02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm a big fan of STAT. But I've been checking out Knick games lately, and it seems like he's lost all explosiveness. He had a nice dunk against the Nets, but really he is getting blocked under the net on a consistent basis.

I stil think he's got game left, but as of right now, he looks like a shadow of his former self (even from last year) in terms of athletic ability.

I have noticed that he wears a sleeve over his knee, and that he's icing it heavily afterwards. I know he's had back problems too, plus there were reports that he put on weight this summer.

Any word on what's been going on with him phsyically? Is it just due to a myriad of injuries? Or is he just declining right before our eyes?

He's still had some nice games this year, even recently too, but it's almost like his body has been breaking down on him this year.

Should the knicks consider resting Amare? Give him some time off to get his body right?

thekmp211
02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
knees.

Chill_Will_24
02-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Knee problems NEVER go away and for a player that relies on athleticism its not hard to figure out the problem. He actually looked so outclassed by Humphries out there

FlakeyFool
02-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Send him to the Zoo so he can go pat some birds

Master Mind
02-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Knees are a ticking time bomb

CudiOnMyiPod
02-21-2012, 06:18 PM
The days of "Phoenix" Amare are long past gone.

He is now a solid 17-18 ppg with some rebounds but still no defense.

Him and Joe Johnson battle each other for the worst contracts in the NBA.

Lim
02-21-2012, 06:18 PM
combination of age catching up to him, knee , and back issues

Punk
02-21-2012, 06:20 PM
He put on 260 pounds of muscle expecting to play the center position, only for the Tyson Chandler signing to change that. So, he's kind of oversized and he's slower than he was last season.

Against the Bulls and Celtics, he was really starting to play like Amare from last season but then his brother died. That took him out of his rhythm.

shep33
02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
But it's such a drastic transformation from last year. I mean anybody remember his plays againsit the Celtics in the playoffs?

Doing stuff like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6sW-eIBOR8

Just amazing how all of a sudden this happened.

shep33
02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
He put on 260 pounds of muscle expecting to play the center position, only for the Tyson Chandler signing to change that. So, he's kind of oversized and he's slower than he was last season.

Against the Bulls and Celtics, he was really starting to play like Amare from last season but then his brother died. That took him out of his rhythm.

That's true. Sad story about his brother's passing (RIP).

Hopefully Amare get's his rhythm back by the playoffs. It seems like his knee is bothering him though too. Any reports on that?

nycericanguy
02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
In before 100 straight "Knee" responses from uninformed posters.

Amare is going to be 30, obviously he is not as explosive as he once was. But it has nothing to do with knee problems. Amare hasn't had a serious knee injury in 7 years! Unfortunately once you're labeled as "injury prone" that tends to stick with you.

He started off slow, like he did last year, and without a PG until recently he struggled. But he's coming around, in February he's averaging 20 & 9 on 50% shooting. You're not going to see him score 25ppg like he did last year, not on this team with all the scoring options they have now. 20 & 9 is what I expect from him more or less on this team.

Punk
02-21-2012, 06:25 PM
But it's such a drastic transformation from last year. I mean anybody remember his plays againsit the Celtics in the playoffs?

Doing stuff like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6sW-eIBOR8

Just amazing how all of a sudden this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZRhaoWqc4c

What happened? Lol

I know what you mean and all but he's not some slow sluggish version of McDyess or something.

Like I said, he put on alot of weight expecting to play center and it's really not working for him. He needs to lose it and regain his quickness. He's extremely healthy, he just had a slow start. He picked his game up against Chicago and Boston but his brother died and now he's been pretty inconsistent since.

shep33
02-21-2012, 06:28 PM

What happened? Lol

I know what you mean and all but he's not some slow sluggish version of McDyess or something.

Like I said, he put on alot of weight expecting to play center and it's really not working for him. He needs to lose it and regain his quickness. He's extremely healthy, he just had a slow start. He picked his game up against Chicago and Boston but his brother died and now he's been pretty inconsistent since.

Haha, well to be fair it was on Boozer lol. But yeah, I'm not saying he's slow and useless, but I mean compared to last year his athletcism seems to have dropped off significantly.

But your explanation makes sense, and I appreciatiate your insight. Heavier Amare, essentially means that he isn't going to get up like he once did.

More-Than-Most
02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Knees and no Steve Nash

Lakeshow24KB
02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
What happened to the Dunk Contest Amare?

lvlheaded
02-21-2012, 06:38 PM
He started off slow, as did the entire Knick roster, cause he had no PG. Than he started to turn it around and his brother died and he had to leave rode a week, throwing off his rhythm. He's averaging 20 and 9 in February which is great considering he has Lin, Melo, Smith, Fields, andNovak that are all scoring threats. If he averages 20 and 9 the rest of the season while shooting 50% as he has in February, than he is just fine by me.

You have to understand, he's almost 30, you can't expect him to be as explosive as he was at 25, very few players are

KnicksorBust
02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Here's what the numbers say and then I'll tell you what I've noticed.

His shots at the rim are similar:
2010 - 3.9 for 6.2 (64%)
2011 - 3.8 for 5.6 (68%)

His shots from 3-9 feet are way down:
2010 - 2.2 for 4.8 (45%)
2011 - 0.6 for 2.5 (24%)

His shots from 10-15 feet are down:
2010 - 0.9 for 2.2 (38%)
2011 - 0.5 for 1.4 (33%)

His shots from 16-23 feet are down:
2010 - 2.4 for 5.4 (44%)
2011 - 1.9 for 5.4 (36%)

His free throw attempts are down from 7.7 FTA per game last season to 4.7 FTA per game this season and his shot is being blocked 10% of the time (up from 8%). These are alarming trends across the board.

From what I've seen he doesn't have that first step. The explosiveness and lift are not the same. He's compensating by not driving to the basket. He had arguably the best face-up game in the NBA. He would get around his man and find an easy shot in the paint. Now it's all jump-shots or assisted baskets at the rim. He'll occasionally throw down a big dunk and pound his chest but it's not the same Amar'e from his Phoenix days or even last year.

The sad thing is we finally have a true PG to run pick and rolls with him and Tyson Chandler is the one giving all the screens.

KnicksorBust
02-21-2012, 06:40 PM

justinnum1
02-21-2012, 06:49 PM
he's on the decline

nycsports2
02-21-2012, 06:49 PM
hell be fine long offseason and a little bit of less touches as well he doesnt look all the same for sure but im not too worried just a bit of rust imo even that sweet jumper hasnt been automatic this yr

shep33
02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
hell be fine long offseason and a little bit of less touches as well he doesnt look all the same for sure but im not too worried just a bit of rust imo even that sweet jumper hasnt been automatic this yr

Yeah his jumper is usually cash from the elbow. Hopefully he gets it back in time.

nycsports2
02-21-2012, 06:52 PM
i think he will im not really worred... also i think his bro is def weighing on him a lil.... anybody notice hisnew teardrop tat???

king4day
02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Here's a good answer... Carmello happend. Last year he was great until the trade that blew up the team.
You're asking him to be explosive when he doesn't get crazy touches and Tyson is in the middle clogging it up for him.
That's the team they have now and he's a victim of it.

nycsports2
02-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Here's a good answer... Carmello happend. Last year he was great until the trade that blew up the team.
You're asking him to be explosive when he doesn't get crazy touches and Tyson is in the middle clogging it up for him.

this is a bit of it i think which im more than fine with if we get all these players playing team ball its gonna be a great team theyve got so many different weapons and there playing good d when shumps in and chandlers stays out of foul trouble (last night)

king4day
02-21-2012, 06:55 PM
i think he will im not really worred... also i think his bro is def weighing on him a lil.... anybody notice hisnew teardrop tat???

I remember Larry Hughes did that too a few years ago when his brother passed. I like it.

king4day
02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
this is a bit of it i think which im more than fine with if we get all these players playing team ball its gonna be a great team theyve got so many different weapons and there playing good d when shumps in and chandlers stays out of foul trouble (last night)

Exactly. Amar'e went to NY to build a winner. He's capable of doing it there and just needs to accept the sacrafice of stats that come with it. He can and will still have huge games at times this season.

UPRock
02-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Injuries :(.

bringinwood
02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
He's doing what he's supposed to do this season...

Carmelo came and his shots dropped drastically...

Chandler came and he is giving up space for him...

In a winning system, players have to sacrifice... He didn't do that in Phoenix... I think he's evolved...

He, certainly, has not declined in terms of ability... The guy is still a monster....

shep33
02-21-2012, 07:02 PM

True King, however, his explosiveness is still not there. He's getting blocked under the rim at an alarming rate.

I agree that Amare is at his best when he's essentially 5 and he can utilize the space given to him in order to operate. Chandler does clog the lane for him, however, he's still missing easy shots, and he's just slower than he's been in the past. He's also getting wid eopen 16 footers that are not dropping for him.

I think some of his decline in production can be placed on Chandler and Melo, however, just by looking at him this year, he is not the same guy as last year.
Again that can be due to a number of issues.

king4day
02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I know it's not the best comparison but I wonder if his rhythm is effecting his shots.
Channing Frye's shot has been awful this year when in the last two years, he was up there in 3pt shooting. Not the league best but up there.
This year he's missed everything and a lot of Suns fans want him out.

Amar'e might still be trying to find where he has to be for his shots. Chandler is looking like the better PnR partner for Lin which is scary.

If things don't work out, I'm sure they can find a deal for him that'll bring back a good PF (not elite) and other pieces to add depth to the team. I keep thinking a deal for Cousins and change could work.

thephoenixson28
02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Phoenix will welcome him back if it didn't cost that much.

Kashmir13579
02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Knees and no Steve Nash

He has Lin now. No excuse there. Now its just his knees and his back.

justinnum1
02-21-2012, 07:47 PM
He has Lin now. No excuse there. Now its just his knees and his back.

Lin is no nash. Amare needs an elite PG to get the most out of him.

Kashmir13579
02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Lin is no nash. Amare needs an elite PG to get the most out of him.

The pick n roll is why Nash and Amar'e were so amazing together. Many people over the years have considered Amar'e to be the best pick n roll finisher in the game. I'd say Lin knows how to run that play pretty damn well.

CudiOnMyiPod
02-21-2012, 07:57 PM
The pick n roll is why Nash and Amar'e were so amazing together. Many people over the years have considered Amar'e to be the best pick n roll finisher in the game. I'd say Lin knows how to run that play pretty damn well.

Nash was the master of the pick and roll. Lin is Lin. DO not ever compare Lin to Nash.

metsfanssince05
02-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Amar'e sadly, regressed. He cannot hit a open mid range shot, last season he was automatic from there. He's still pretty young but it seems like he lost his skill, hes getting blocked or turning it over on a dumb plays. I miss it, I loved him last year, some people put him as a top 5 for MVP, well he was playing like one.

He reminds me of Chris Bosh.. Scoring 18 points a night , who can score 40 on any given night.. But CB has a better FG%, and a better play overall. (First time me saying Bosh is better then Amar'e.)

I don't see Amar'e sticking in the NBA for awhile... I say he retires at 33.

AlexTmz2
02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
I'd take David Lee over STAT any day.

blahblahyoutoo
02-21-2012, 08:14 PM

What happened? Lol

there was no lift on that dunk.

last season, he had a jumper. without that, teams don't have to respect his shot and can lay off him.
when he's made a living off of explosiveness that is suddenly gone, you have exactly what we're witnessing in amare's game.
that plus his tendency to dribble off his leg for turnovers and his poor defense.

smith&wesson
02-21-2012, 08:15 PM
stat is still a good player. the guys brother just died give him a break.

oak2455
02-21-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm thinking he's gotta be hurt:eyebrow: his play has dropped off recently ....hopefully he can be like he was the first half of last year

clydebino
02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
The days of "Phoenix" Amare are long past gone.

He is now a solid 17-18 ppg with some rebounds but still no defense.

Him and Joe Johnson battle each other for the worst contracts in the NBA.

Is Rashard Lewis not in this Battle of the worst NBA contracts??

justinnum1
why the hell did he put on weight? he basically hurt his biggest strength, which was his explosiveness and athleticism. Not to mention more weight wont help his knees.

oak2455
I'd take David Lee over STAT any day.

I'd take Duncan over Stat, nice jersey btw

Ty Fast
02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
melo happened

justinnum1
02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Is Rashard Lewis not in this Battle of the worst NBA contracts??

rashars isn't considered an elite player...

Kashmir13579
02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Nash was the master of the pick and roll. Lin is Lin. DO not ever compare Lin to Nash.

You don't want me to point out similarities in their skillsets? Too bad.

Jesse2272
02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Nothing...

He will turn it around befo season is over

STAT=stud PF period!

Really :facepalm:

clydebino
02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
rashars isn't considered an elite player...

Tue True, But the post just said worst contracts in the NBA not the Worst Elite contracts

AlexTmz2
02-21-2012, 08:21 PM
I'd take Duncan over Stat, nice jersey btw

D-Leethal
02-21-2012, 08:29 PM
That's true. Sad story about his brother's passing (RIP).

Hopefully Amare get's his rhythm back by the playoffs. It seems like his knee is bothering him though too. Any reports on that?

Alan Hahn felt the same way you do and asked him before the Nets game, he said he feels better than he did at any point last season. I think once he gets his midrange down and starts to hit an extra 2 to 3 per game his PPG will go up as well as his FG% and people will be saying 'Oh Amare has his explosiveness back'.......I think the extra 20 lbs has something to do with it but his still putting up 18-8 and hes bricking the shots that were automatic last season. Those start to fall all of a sudden hes at 23-8 and 'Amares back'

And like Punk said, he beasted on the Bulls before his brother died and looked like he was finally getting his groove back.

Jesse2272
02-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Alan Hahn felt the same way you do and asked him before the Nets game, he said he feels better than he did at any point last season. I think once he gets his midrange down and starts to hit an extra 2 to 3 per game his PPG will go up as well as his FG% and people will be saying 'Oh Amare has his explosiveness back'.......I think the extra 20 lbs has something to do with it but his still putting up 18-8 and hes bricking the shots that were automatic last season. Those start to fall all of a sudden hes at 23-8 and 'Amares back'

And like Punk said, he beasted on the Bulls before his brother died and looked like he was finally getting his groove back.

Yes sir...:clap:

KnicksR4Real
02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Forget his brother dying. When your paid that much you have to perform. Amar'e is a terrible player. It's annoying when Knick fans try to defend him. He's done, and honestly is holding us back. Trade him.

Bishnoff
02-21-2012, 08:38 PM

This.

Why is it that only Suns fans can see that the Knicks ****ed up when they traded for Melo? Amar'e was putting up MVP numbers before the trade. Amar'e and Melo are all offense and no defense. Melo needs the ball to be effective and Amar’e needs a PnR PG and a free lane to be effective. The two can't work together consistently.

unclekurt2883
02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't think a'mare will be the 25 pts we're use to.... but i also think he won't have to be that guy on this team. with all the other weapons we got, i would be happy with him scoring around 22 a game. but i think with that said, he's got start rebounding and playing stronger defense. he doesn't have to become a defensive juggernught but he needs to start playing solid defense on opposing PF

DaLyingofJungl3
02-21-2012, 08:46 PM
The thing with Amare is that he is a pick n roll player. U can say Melo plays a role to because hes a ballhog but Amare is not a post player which will help him and the knicks....

not good defender either

unclekurt2883
02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
The thing with Amare is that he is a pick n roll player. U can say Melo plays a role to because hes a ballhog but Amare is not a post player which will help him and the knicks....

not good defender either

but im not asking him to be a great defender beacuse he's never gonna be that but i've watched a lot games where amare takes plays off. if i was coach d, i would of benched his A!!. He needs to realized that all he needs to do is to put as much effort on that defensive side as much as the offensive side.

Yumboldt
02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Tyson is clogging the lane just like Shaq did in phx

Amare1
02-21-2012, 09:07 PM
He will be fine. He will peak when the Knicks need him, in the second half of the season and the playoffs. He has ALWAYS done that.

sunsfan88
02-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Phoenix knew he wasn't a max player. Tried to warn NY but wouldn't listen. They were pissed they lost out on Wade and LeBron so they decided to take the anger out by signing Amare to a max but that decision will haunt the franchise for quite some time.

NYsFinest
02-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Hes is fine health-wise... he obviously isn't 20 anymore. The main reason he seems like he has lost it is as many other people said the team isn't built for him anymore.

Reasons for Amar'e not dominating:

He is not longer the go to guy

Tyson clogs the lane for him

he didn't have a PG most of the year (which he needs)

he was a bit out of shape when the season started because he was rehabbing and partying, when he got it going his brother died

His midrange (which was deadly last year) isn't falling, it seems like he is forcing the action out there a bit because he doesn't get as many touches as he normally does

That being said, I'm optimistic D'Antoni and Amar'e figure out a way for him to be effective.

DaLyingofJungl3
02-21-2012, 09:13 PM
he was was very effective with Raymond Felton too
pick n roll game

NYsFinest
02-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Phoenix knew he wasn't a max player. Tried to warn NY but wouldn't listen. They were pissed they lost out on Wade and LeBron so they decided to take the anger out by signing Amare to a max but that decision will haunt the franchise for quite some time.

He was worth every penny for the Knicks last year. Its no secret Amar'e needs a PG and Toney Douglas is one of the worst in the business at running an offense. He will be more productive once this team builds chemistry and will be key in the Knicks potential playoff run.

Daze9900
02-21-2012, 09:17 PM
He's also constantly taking these whack @$$ jumpers. Annoys the living hell out of me. Makes me appreciate jump shooting power forwards who consistently knock them down because Amare isn't one of them. Look at espn.com before Lin arrived he had to shoot around 70 percent in Knick wins. In losses he shot around 40 percent. That mean for Knicks to get a supreme effort he is knocking down shots, getting easy looks (dunks, pick-n-roll). Then every now and then he'll put up one of those 18 and 8 type games but doesn't really box out or play any type of help defense. Mind boggling.

D-Leethal
02-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Tyson is clogging the lane just like Shaq did in phx

Amare's numbers skyrocketed the second Shaq came to PHX

D-Leethal
02-21-2012, 09:20 PM
He's also constantly taking these whack @$$ jumpers. Annoys the living hell out of me. Makes me appreciate jump shooting power forwards who consistently knock them down because Amare isn't one of them. Look at espn.com before Lin arrived he had to shoot around 70 percent in Knick wins. In losses he shot around 40 percent. That mean for Knicks to get a supreme effort he is knocking down shots, getting easy looks (dunks, pick-n-roll). Then every now and then he'll put up one of those 18 and 8 type games but doesn't really box out or play any type of help defense. Mind boggling.

Those 'Whack @$$ jumpers' were automatic last season and been automatic nearly his whole career. Hes gotta keep shooting and get out of his funk because we need that midrange to start working more than we need him to be STAT of old playing above the rim.

PC
02-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Those 'Whack @$$ jumpers' were automatic last season and been automatic nearly his whole career. Hes gotta keep shooting and get out of his funk because we need that midrange to start working more than we need him to be STAT of old playing above the rim.

That's probably been the biggest thing for me. His midrange shot has been awful compared to last year.

Jesse2272
02-21-2012, 09:35 PM
That's probably been the biggest thing for me. His midrange shot has been awful compared to last year.

1/2 season...get rid of STAT...opinion...:confused:

He doesn't deserve a full season...really

not jumping on immediate fail as oppose to career stats...

1 real/what 2 expect/consistent season..minor moves guaranteed coach n core players...

Kobe mad...you want kup 2 react/knicks act like the lakes...

makes sense if not...ur my forum bro...we can debate further NYK stylo...in our forum...

bklynny67
02-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Knees and no Steve Nash

why do people still say its cuz no Nash? do u not remember him averaging 25ppg last yr before the Melo trade? and guess what... without Nash..

ramz.n
02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
his knees are gone..hes no longer the explosive dunker he once was.

netsgiantsyanks
02-21-2012, 09:48 PM

:eyebrow: lol.

Jesse2272
02-21-2012, 09:49 PM
his knees are gone..hes no longer the explosive dunker he once was.

Thanks fo the Diag nos...I have an itch behind my left knee can I sched an apoinment asap...

Bishnoff
02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Amare's numbers skyrocketed the second Shaq came to PHX

Yes and no. Amar'e finished the 2007-08 season well in the 28 regular season and 5 playoff games that he and Shaq played together, with the offense still focused on the Nash/Amar’e PnR. The 2008-09 season was a poor season for Amar’e as new coach Terry Porter tried to run the offense through Shaq down low, leaving Amar’e predominantly as a jump shooter.

Over his career, Amar'e has performed much better offensively playing C or when playing PF without a low-post C.

Bishnoff
02-21-2012, 10:01 PM
why do people still say its cuz no Nash? do u not remember him averaging 25ppg last yr before the Melo trade? and guess what... without Nash..

This used to piss me off when people said it during his time in Phoenix, but Amar'e showed on many occasions that he could produce without Nash. Most people like to state their opinion when they know very little about the subject.

ramz.n
02-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks fo the Diag nos...I have an itch behind my left knee can I sched an apoinment asap...

I dont mean to insult..as my team is the raptors..and I have him on my fantasy team :pbut hes just not explosive around the rim anymore, at the age of 29 and already having knee surgery I just think hes finally feeling the effects.

ChicagoFan4Eva
02-21-2012, 10:06 PM
He was over rated anyways just like melo now just like jeremy lin.

and his knees..

SluggeR
02-21-2012, 10:06 PM
The demise of STAT is waaay too premature. The lock-out is hurting his play just like it's hurting a lot of players play, he has played the majority of the season with Toney Douglas as his pg, and then you throw in Melo - a pg + too many jumpers=there you have. I look for STAT to beats after the ALL-Star. People seem to forget that he was struggling the first half of the year during his contract year and we all know how he ended that year.

netsgiantsyanks
02-21-2012, 10:10 PM
he sucks. sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks.

(sarcasm)

KnicksorBust
02-21-2012, 10:14 PM
His mid-range jumper is off yes but it's an exaggeration to call that the main issue. The problem is he isn't beating his man in face-up isolation. His biggest fall-offs from last season are on shots 3-9 feet from the rim and his lack of FTs. Both are clear signs he's not being aggressive enough with the basketball.

Lakeshow24KB
02-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Trade him to Phoenix.