PDA

View Full Version : It's safe to say the lockout had little to no negative impact on the NBA

ManRam
02-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Some numbers:

Nothing here should come as a surprise, but I just felt like sharing.

The NBA on TNT viewership is up 25%...averaging 2.74 million viewers.

According to NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/steve_aschburner/02/16/nba-in-good-shape/), NBA on ESPN viewership is up 21%.

NBA TV is averaging 358,000 viewers per game (up 57%). More than half of the channel's most viewed games have already happened in this young season.

Regional NBA networks are up 12%.

Attendance, through last Tuesday, averaged 17,109 per game, which is basically identical to last year's numbers. That's expected to go up as many big markets play home-heavy second halves.

The NBA Youtube channel is the most viewed channel in all of sports (737,000,000 videos viewed).
Merchandise sales are up by a staggering 30% (up as high as 70% in some markets, like NYK).

Sponsors have increased, and not a single NBA sponsor bailed because of the lockout. The league recently has inked huge deals with Sprint, Under Armour, Gatorade, Anheiser-Busch and many more. BBVA, Adidas, Kia, State Farm and many more have ran numerous NBA-themed ads this year. Link (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/36460/the-business-of-the-nba-is-good)

Growth overseas continues to boom, especially in countries like China.

So, I ask those who said they'd give up on the NBA if it missed games...or any other people who were skeptical, just not as skeptical, what you think about the NBA now? By the looks of things, it's as strong as it has been, perhaps ever.

With the NBA players getting 51.15% of the BRI, which is lower than what it was, many people foolishly thought they lose. It looks like they'll end up seeing the most lucrative season ever, even despite that figure. The players won, for sure. The NBA as a franchise didn't lose out on anything. Big markets are sitting fat and happy...and even small markets, who may feel they still don't have an equal shot, are going to be seeing a lot more money in their pockets regardless.

So :cheers: to the NBA.

Lockout, shmlockout.

Cfrey
02-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Of course the lockout wasn't going to affect anything. People who thought that numbers were going to take a huge hit are just delusional. I read plenty of articles saying fans were going to punish the NBA..

PUNISH the NBA?? Lol at the end of the day when people are sitting on their couch they are going to flip on the TV and watch LeBron, Durant, Kobe, Wade, Rose, now Lin. No one gives a **** about training camp that was missed.. Yeah there is less games but it is what it is.

dtmagnet
02-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Seems like more players are getting injured due to the condensed schedule though.

utl768
02-21-2012, 05:17 PM
financially no but the quality of play on the court at times has left alot to be desired

Celticsfan2007
02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh how quickly people forget. All anyone here ever wanted was a little basketball in their life...

Vincent
02-21-2012, 05:21 PM
The Jeremy Lin effect... lol

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Veto...for basketball reasons.

JWO35
02-21-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't think the Lockout it self was going to drive people away, me personally I'm turned off by the lack of talent on teams...so many lump-sided games.

The National TV Ratings never suffer, but the local ratings & attendance for most teams I can guarantee are down

PhillyFaninLA
I'd like to see where ticket sales are. If ticket sales and overall attendance are down then its just people watching on TV rather then going to games. I'd also like to know if NBA TV is on in more markets and on more disturbers than last year. Both of those could easily explain the boost in TV ratings.

Hawkeye15
it effected this years level of play.

Iodine
02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
What happened to all of those "BOYCOTT THE NBA" people?

IIRC the amount of league pass broadband subscriptions exceeded even the optimistic expectations

Iodine
02-21-2012, 05:33 PM

Well lockout ball is ****ing evil

Lakeshow24KB
02-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember NBA tv playing two games a night on Tuesdays, that could definitely help.

bootsy
02-21-2012, 05:42 PM
financially no but the quality of play on the court at times has left alot to be desired

You could say that every year. I don't see what is that different from this year and the early 00's as far as quality of play. You are going to get some very good, good, mediocre, bad and very bad no matter what. That is more on the level of talent each team has. Lockout or a regular 82 game season has always had this quality of play. It may be a lil bit worse this year but I don't notice anything where it is that bad.

da ThRONe
02-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Sometimes less is more. I wish we could have 54-62 games every year without the condensed schedule.

ghettosean
02-21-2012, 05:45 PM
This... There has been so many injuries this year that will have a good chance in determining who wins a title this year or at least who comes out of there conference just ask Chauncey what he thinks!!!

Hawkeye15
02-21-2012, 05:50 PM
This... There has been so many injuries this year that will have a good chance in determining who wins a title this year or at least who comes out of there conference just ask Chauncey what he thinks!!!

not just that. The actual level of play is down. %'s across the league down in shooting. More turnovers, sloppy play, etc. Happened in 1999 as well. The players didn't have as much time to get in basketball shape before the season started, and are already playing tired.

Blah Blah Blah
02-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Yes, the attendance rates and viewerships and whatnot are fine, but the scheduling they put in is not. 66 games in like wut, 130 some odd days is ridiculous and you can see that with the play on the court as well as the injuries that are piling up. Guys weren't in game shape due to the missed training camps and it's showing i think. I honestly think they should have had a 55-60 game season instead of 66. Also these players are getting tired/injured cuz they are getting worked like animals out there, no time to rest it seems.

ManRam
02-21-2012, 08:24 PM

IIRC the amount of league pass broadband subscriptions exceeded even the optimistic expectations

Yeah. That was my biggest point. There were NUMEROUS people here that said they'd boycott the season and so on. Doesn't seem like many people have suddenly stopped watching or caring.

Yeah, in the short-term, the level of play and the health of these players has been negatively impacted...

but on the other hand, I, as a fan, love the shortened season. more games more often. your favorite team plays 4 times a week most weeks. that's awesome!

da ThRONe
02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah. That was my biggest point. There were NUMEROUS people here that said they'd boycott the season and so on. Doesn't seem like many people have suddenly stopped watching or caring.

Yeah, in the short-term, the level of play and the health of these players has been negatively impacted...

but on the other hand, I, as a fan, love the shortened season. more games more often. your favorite team plays 4 times a week most weeks. that's awesome!

I disagree. I don't get to watch games that often so many of the games I don't get to see. I would much rather 2 games a week of better quality than 4 games a week that's injury pledged and sloppy. Guess were two totally different kinds of fans.

ManRam
02-21-2012, 08:39 PM
I disagree. I don't get to watch games that often so many of the games I don't get to see. I would much rather 2 games a week of better quality than 4 games a week that's injury pledged and sloppy. Guess were two totally different kinds of fans.

when the magic aren't playing, and there aren't good nba games, my nights drastically decrease in terms of level of enjoyment.

i don't mind the ups and downs...again, i find that entertaining. lockout basketball is sloppy, and at times i hate it, but at other times it makes for some really interesting things.

but yeah, i'd rather see my team play more frequently than not.

Bishnoff
02-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Equality has decreased and quality of play has decreased.

jp611
02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
I could never boycott the NBA, I love it too much

ManRam
02-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Equality has decreased and quality of play has decreased.

i was really upset with the final deal, feeling the owners (small markets) and david stern folded on what they were preaching: competitive balance.

competitive balance did NOT get worse though, its prospects of actually ever existing just didn't get better. there's nothing in the new CBA that makes it less-balanced, there's just very little in there that makes it more likely to be balanced.

NBAfan4life
02-21-2012, 09:32 PM
when the magic aren't playing, and there aren't good nba games, my nights drastically decrease in terms of level of enjoyment.

i don't mind the ups and downs...again, i find that entertaining. lockout basketball is sloppy, and at times i hate it, but at other times it makes for some really interesting things.

but yeah, i'd rather see my team play more frequently than not.

This^^

I really follow the Lakers and Wolves. There are other teams I like to check the box score on, but I like that I am able to have one of my favorite teams to follow playing almost on a nightly basis.

ink
02-21-2012, 10:13 PM

This. And I don't think anyone thought the lockout was going to hurt anything. It's the lack of accomplishment in the ******** CBA that's the actual problem.

ink
02-21-2012, 10:16 PM

I don't remember a lot of talk of boycotts from any serious fans. IIRC it was more talk of waiting out the lockout as long as it took to get a workable CBA.

arkanian215
02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
The data is biased. If there wasn't a Lin moment, then one of the NBA's largest markets would most likely not be around .500 right now. On top of that, tapping that Asian market is nice. How often do you see an undrafted rookie help lead an underperforming large market team at a high performance clip?

I've enjoyed seeing games about every other day. I would say that my interest in the Nets is about the same as last season.

KnicksorBust
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
The NBA had too much momentum going from last season (where ratings/attendance/sales were all trending up in a big way). People were happy to start the season late and with less games = more importance to each individual game.

Plus there have been some tremendous storylines this season:

The Heat/Thunder/Bulls are the favorites and this would make title #1 for the next generation (LeBron/Durant/Rose).
The Knicks/Lakers are both relevant.
The Spurs are still contending with Parker playing like an MVP?
The Clippers are better than the Lakers?
Young exciting teams like the Nuggets, Pacers, and Sixers are having big success.
Jeremy Lin?

etc. etc.

It's a great time to be an NBA fan.

Fnom11
02-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I think it has more to do with different teams being relevant. Like the Knicks being somewhat relevant this season is huge. With teams that were sub par the last 10 years or so making a reemergence and the Lakers/Celtics, although not being too strong this year, still having their huge fan bases it seems there's a lot more fans.