PDA

View Full Version : Question about Russell Westbrook?

Missing56&33
02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
What is your opinion of Russell Westbrook? I'm a Knick fan but I try to watch as many games other than the Knicks as possible. I've seen the OKC Thunder play a few times this year. IMO Russell Westbrook is a talented player but he is not a true PG. He can't play defense for ****. I think he should be a SG. He can score but I rarely see him get over 5 assist. One game he had 40pts but only 3 assist. Three assist is ridiculous. Can the Thunder be successful with Russell Westbrook running the point? Should he concentrate on passing the ball more being a PG or just try to outscore KD every night? Thoughts?

Slug3
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
They have one of the best records in the NBA. I think he is playing fine. Also durant is a SF and not a SG.

tredigs
02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
In short because I have to get back to work:

1) The team depends on him to score, and he does so efficiently. #4 or 5 scorer in the league and does it at a 47% clip. He has the tools to be a high volume/efficient scorer, and with only two other solid scoring options on the team right now they depend on him to use those tools.

2) He was an 8+ assist player the past two seasons. The biggest reason I see for the drop in assists is the fact that KD is doing so much more creating for himself; They run his off the screen pick and pop FAR less than they used to. And that was at least 4 assists a game for Westbrook right there.

3) Thunder are the #1-3 team in the NBA. Things are working there, I'd say.

4) He does have a tendency to force bad shots/drives in spurts and the result is indeed a net+ for the other team when he gets in that mode.

Qualifications: I've watched the majority of the Thunder games for the last 3 years.

Bottom line, he still has his shortcomings but this is a guy who is playing near or at MVP caliber basketball the past month+.

ManRam
02-21-2012, 04:02 PM
"true point guards" is the dumbest experession ever.

the thunder have 3 guys who can score and create their own shots (2 that played last night). they NEED his scoring. absolutely, positively.

he's shown he can pass tremendously well in the past, things are just slightly different this year. they're winning...so who cares. I can't explain to you how maddening it makes me that he's the automatic scapegoat...even when they're winning games and he's playing like a top 10 player in the nba.

i know this is polarizing, but he's just a very slightly lesser version of rose. it's just rose doesn't have a durant on his team. he hasn't played quite as well as rose this season, but last year, i'd see he was every bit as good as rose was (sans the late game heroics...but russy has proven he's quite clutch too...again, he just has KD).

Missing56&33
02-22-2012, 11:33 AM
"true point guards" is the dumbest experession ever.

the thunder have 3 guys who can score and create their own shots (2 that played last night). they NEED his scoring. absolutely, positively.

he's shown he can pass tremendously well in the past, things are just slightly different this year. they're winning...so who cares. I can't explain to you how maddening it makes me that he's the automatic scapegoat...even when they're winning games and he's playing like a top 10 player in the nba.

i know this is polarizing, but he's just a very slightly lesser version of rose. it's just rose doesn't have a durant on his team. he hasn't played quite as well as rose this season, but last year, i'd see he was every bit as good as rose was (sans the late game heroics...but russy has proven he's quite clutch too...again, he just has KD).

I disagree......many teams have what you call a tweener PG. This is a PG/SG combo player. These guys are naturally SG forced to play PG. Rose was that guy in the past but I do believe Rose is now a TRUE PG. But DR has the ability to play both and be effective. Rose is now a scorer and facilitator , in the past he was mainly a scorer.

Like I mentioned earlier, i don't follow OKC that much but I did see the playoffs last year and witnessed Westbrook disruptive behavior with KD, on the floor, that led to Scotty Brooks benching him in a very important playoff game. Also , Westbrook got into it a argument with Durant again early this season. My guess is that the arguments and benching has a lot to do with him running the team and making good decisions as a TRUE PG should.......by passing the ball to KD and getting others involved like James Harden , Perk and other good shooters on the team.

I recognized that the Thunder are winning games, they are a very good team but looking at the bigger picture in going deep in the playoffs and possibly a championship, the question is should Russell Westbrook become a more facilitator type a player and look to score second?

MPO, I don't think he has the unselfishness to do this. He wants to be the star player more than wanting to get wins right now. If you look at every championship team in the history of the NBA.....sharing the basketball has won the championship. This is something, I think Russell Westbrook doesn't not have the ability to do, and ultimately the better teams like SA, LA, and Dallas will beat them every time.

The biggest reason I see for the drop in assists is the fact that KD is doing so much more creating for himself;

^^^^^Westbrook don't pass him the basketball, so he has to create his own shot to score. :eyebrow:

Raps18-19 Champ
02-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Arrogant but can play.

Heediot
02-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Luckily he's not the first option. Teams with a ball dominant chucking point guard as a first option don't win championships.

ThuglifeJ
02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
I think he's the most immature and arrogant known player in the league. Even worse than LeBron now. His celebrations arent even humurous or entertaining, just obnoxious.

and ManRam not everyone agrees about your views on pointguards. Many believe in and enjoy true point guards.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Luckily he's not the first option. Teams with a ball dominant chucking point guard as a first option don't win championships.

They come close though.

ramz.n
02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
they are winning are they not?..imo if it ain't broken don't try and fix it.

Heediot
02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
They come close though.

Allen Iverson's team may not have even been a high seed if they played in the west the year he made the finals. The east was so garbage back then. The same thing could be said about LeBron making it to the finals, the east was so weak that anybody coming out of there would have been smoked by the west. The only team that stood somewhat of a chance in those years was Detroit due to their experience and half-court defense. Detroit wasn't the strongest team, but they were always a team capable of upsetting someone.

As for Arenas making it to the 1st/2nd round all those years. That wizards team would fighting for a low-seed if they played in the west. There is no guarantee they make the playoffs all.

Sota4Ever
02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
They should try and trade him for Rondo.

chrisf975
02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
The Thunder will go to the finals because of good play from both westbrook and durant. He doesn't get assists because they put durant in the post or isolation to get shots instead of running those pick and pop plays.

Baller1
02-22-2012, 02:30 PM
His role is to ****ing score. My god, Skip Bayless is corrupting the country.

Sadds The Gr8
02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
I love his cockiness. Sometimes he can play like a ****in idiot, but in general he's one of the most exciting players to watch in the NBA

ghettosean
02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Honestly I don't know what the heck is going to happen with the thunder... Yes they are a top team right now but so was the spurs last year and they didn't make it out of the 1st round so I won't put my stock in there record.

I'll still go on a whim and say they will be in the western conference finals after that who knows. As far as Westbrook he's a crazy talent still learning to play that position... I saw someone on here complain about Skip Bayless in here and I'll say this... I kind of think that the thunder need Westbrook to score to become sucessful but if he starts chucking it up in the playoffs again when Durant is on fire then you trade him for Rondo and a pick or something.

Carey
02-22-2012, 03:03 PM
I criticize Russell alot but i also recognize his talent and also give him a bit of a pass because of the offensive system he plays in(or lack there of)and the below average coaching he recieves. He's terrible defensively but not because of ability, he gambles too much, doesnt fight thru screens and just loafs on that end of the floor at times. He has all-nba defense ability. Offensively he just needs to settle down at times and more value the routine play. It's a matter of him picking spots, i have no doubt he can run a team he just needs to more effectively pick his spots. Problem is he's in the worst possible situation to figure that out. I love his heart, he's fearless and keeps improving on all facets of his offensive game besides decision making. Bottom line is he needs to improve his pace and decision making and start to value the routine contest on the defensive end and the sky's the limit for him.

Carey
02-22-2012, 03:05 PM
And to a previous poster,KD is getting his own shot alot more then before, less screens and pin downs...that would be part of the assist drop for Westbrook.

jim51990
02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
to me hes rose with a better jump shot

LJEATON26
02-22-2012, 07:06 PM
What is your opinion of Russell Westbrook? I'm a Knick fan but I try to watch as many games other than the Knicks as possible. I've seen the OKC Thunder play a few times this year. IMO Russell Westbrook is a talented player but he is not a true PG. He can't play defense for ****. I think he should be a SG. He can score but I rarely see him get over 5 assist. One game he had 40pts but only 3 assist. Three assist is ridiculous. Can the Thunder be successful with Russell Westbrook running the point? Should he concentrate on passing the ball more being a PG or just try to outscore KD every night? Thoughts?

The other night he had 40 points, 9 assists (7 went to KD) and only 2 turnovers. Plus he isn't that bad of a defender (currently 6th in steals). But the answer to your question about if they can be successful with him at the point is hell yes. He's 23 and he has helped lead them to the West Conf Finals and they currently have the 2nd best record in the league with a really good chance of making it to the finals this year.