PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Mistake your Team's Front Office has Made in the 2000's

JordansBulls
02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
What was the Biggest Mistake your Team's Front Office has Made in the 2000's?

bigsams50
02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Drafting Morrison over guys like Gay, Roy and Rondo. Drafting DJ Augustin instead of Brook Lopez or Roy Hibbert. Not having a pick in the 2010 Draft. Trading away Wallace for virtually nothing.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Rafael Araujo over some good players.

Not trading Vince Carter for Ray Allen then trading him for crap.

PHX2daDEATH
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
1(a) Letting Joe Johnson force a trade, not re-signing him.
Trading Joe Johnson for Boris Diaw and a 1st, (Robin Lopez?)..Hawks winning 3rd Pick in the Lottery, Suns aren't able to draft Noah or Horford.
(b) Shawn Marion for Shaq. Good trade on Paper if the Suns didnt have to switch styles so drastically..
(c) Trading Goran Dragic for Aaron Brooks..all those years we heard " Oh we need a competent back-up and successor to Nash, somebody that can be groomed by Nash for when he retires!.."

Hellcrooner
02-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Accepting the Miami offer for shaq withouth Wade and not pushing enough on the offers that were being made from dallas, Sacramento and Memphis because they were in teh same conference.

JWO35
02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
1. Drafting Darko
2. Firing Larry Brown
3. Trading Billups

AKAYaReal
02-21-2012, 10:44 AM
-Eddy Curry contract
-Jerome James contract
-Jared Jefferies first contract

Not even going to go through the draft mistakes

asandhu23
02-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Current FO? Letting Jeremy Lin go for nothing.

Previous FO ( 95 percent of that decade was under them ): Don't want to start....

Corey
02-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Celtics:

Trading Joe Johnson in his rookie year.

Drafting Kendrick Brown #11 overall.

Trading the rights to Randy Foye for Sebastian Telfair. Could've had Roy.

Not trading Ray Allen for Monta+

Celtic fans will bring up Perkins, but that was a fine trade.

Celticsfan2007
02-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Celtics:

Trading Joe Johnson in his rookie year.

Drafting Kendrick Brown #11 overall.

Trading the rights to Randy Foye for Sebastian Telfair. Could've had Roy.

Not trading Ray Allen for Monta+

Celtic fans will bring up Perkins, but that was a fine trade.

x2 on everything

Hindsight being 20/20 with Jeff Green's heart condition, I wouldn't have made the trade. Its was the right trade to make at the time, though. More bad luck than a bad move.

The goods
02-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Trading shaq for a bunch of average players when we possibly could've gotten wade,luke waltons contract,metta world peaces contract, and trading lamar odom for as of right now nothing.

MagicHero3
02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
too many mistakes to count? pretty much everything besides drafting Dwight.

kozelkid
02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Signing Wallace to a 4 year 60 Mil.

Signing Nocioni to a 5 year 38 million deal. Especially, when we had a rising Deng at the time and a second year Thabo.

Drafting Tyrus over Aldridge and Roy.

And don't get me starting on the pre-Garpax days. It would be too depressing. :sigh:

gotoHcarolina52
02-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Drafting Michael Beasley over Kevin Love /Russell Westbrook

Pierzynski4Prez
02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Signing Wallace to a 4 year 60 Mil.

Signing Nocioni to a 5 year 38 million deal. Especially, when we had a rising Deng at the time and a second year Thabo.

Drafting Tyrus over Aldridge and Roy.

And don't get me starting on the pre-Garpax days. It would be too depressing. :sigh:

Everything we did though pre-2008 led to us getting that 1.7% chance in the 2008 lottery though, so I'd say those depressing days were worth it.

Hawkeye15
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Trying to pick which decision the Wolves FO made that was the worst is like trying to pick which Lindsay Lohan mistake was the worst. Get in line.

elonepb
02-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Signing Johan Petro and Travis Outlaw after missing out on Lebron. That and every draft pick Thorn ever made.

Cal827
02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Not Trading Vince for Ray Allen,
Not trading Vince for the 5th pick in the 2003 draft
Trading Vince for Mourning, and the two Williams
Drafting Rafael over Iggy
Drafting Villaneuva over Bynum
Drafting Graham over Granger (With these three, I just think of how we would have been with Iggy-Granger-Bosh-Bynum :facepalm:)
Signing Jason Kapono to that large contract
Trading Roy Hibbert for Jermaine O'neal
Not Trading Chris Bosh for Amar'e Stoudemire in that 3 team trade
Not Trading Bosh period, even though there were some decent offers (GS to me also sticks out)

:facepalm:

THE MTL
02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
I think Knicks have made more mistakes than every team in the leagu COMBINED in the 2000s.

Its far too many to count.....but it starts with
1. Hiring Isiah Thomas- this has led to at least 100 different mistakes

LongIslandIcedZ
02-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Curry
James
Marbury

countless mistakes.

USMCLaker
02-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Let Jerry West walk.

UKblazers
02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Oden:bang:

latinofire21
02-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Knicks -

Jerome James Contract is the number 1 deal in my mind. Eddy Curry was a bad one too but at least he gave us 1 productive year. I remember reading a silly stat that he was getting paid like 200,000 a minute he was on the floor for one season lol.

latinofire21
02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Raptors -
Not trading Bosh and thinking they had a real chance to resigning him.
Letting TMAC go to the Magic.
Signing Hedo to that terrible contract.

ManRam
02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
i don't know. on one hand, you could say "a lot" just because your a pissed off magic fan and forgot all the good that this team has accomplished lately (one of the 3-5 winningst NBA teams the last half-decade or so).

the lewis signing has become a big mistake, but at the time, it was great. without him we don't have a Finals appearance...so i can't blast it too much. we had to over-pay to get him, because we were striking out on other FAs, and he didn't want to go to a small market all that much. we had to pay more than other teams just to get him...and that's turning into an annoying trend.

the PHX trade (trading back for hedo) was probably a mistake. we were an awful team when it happened, and it did correct some things short term...but again, long-term it sucks. i'll say that's a bad one, for sure. short and long term.

that's been our problem. there's been such a pressure to win in the short term and get over the hump that we've just kept funneling money into the team. on one hand, i can't blame them, on the other hand, it sucks.

the carter/courtney lee trade was not highly thought of at the time, but that's been a huge win.

vazquez was a mistake, and we haven't drafted well...but we haven't had high draft picks in forever now.

Iodine
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Spurs........ Mistakes? :laugh: *pompous fan*
I mean the RJ extension was meh, but it's not like he isnt serviceable.
Our worst move might be not having Chaz be assistent GM

latinofire21
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Not Trading Vince for Ray Allen,
Not trading Vince for the 5th pick in the 2003 draft
Trading Vince for Mourning, and the two Williams
Drafting Rafael over Iggy
Drafting Villaneuva over Bynum
Drafting Graham over Granger (With these three, I just think of how we would have been with Iggy-Granger-Bosh-Bynum :facepalm:)
Signing Jason Kapono to that large contract
Trading Roy Hibbert for Jermaine O'neal
Not Trading Chris Bosh for Amar'e Stoudemire in that 3 team trade
Not Trading Bosh period, even though there were some decent offers (GS to me also sticks out)
:facepalm:

lol i didnt realize how bad torontos FO was. That is halarious

Baller1
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Selling the Franchise to Clay Bennett.
Drafting Robert Swift.
Drafting Johan Petro.
Drafting Mohammed Sene.
Giving Jim Macalvaine a large contract, disallowing us to pay Kemp.
Firing George Karl.
Letting Wally Walker keep his job far too long.
Angering Gary Payton.

Iodine
02-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Selling the Franchise to Clay Bennett.
Drafting Robert Swift.
Drafting Johan Petro.
Drafting Mohammed Sene.
Giving Jim Macalvaine a large contract, disallowing us to pay Kemp.
Firing George Karl.
Letting Wally Walker keep his job far too long.
Angering Gary Payton.

http://www.inkedcelebrity.com/robertswift.jpg

Tmath
02-21-2012, 01:54 PM
lol i didnt realize how bad torontos FO was. That is halarious

Almost as bad as the Knicks. Yes you guys are looking good now but before the last year or so, your team has been terrible years.

Birdmannn
02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Not trading for Stoudemire for I believe it was JJ Hickson and fillers.
Damn so much hate could have been avoided. Stupid Dan Gilbert

Da Knicks
02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Zeke thomas nuff said!!!!

Crackadalic
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Trading Ewing instead of letting his contract expire started the Knick depression era. The Isiah Era was the breaking point

lvlheaded
02-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Does anything besides Isaiah Thomas really have to be said?

Channing Frye instead of Bynum is one that doesn't get enough hype either

theducksmuggler
02-21-2012, 02:35 PM
The Billy King era for the sixers and the Huge contracts given to Elton Brand and Iggy...

daboywonder2002
02-21-2012, 02:35 PM
1. letting andre miller walk as a free agent. not resigning him or getting trade value. sorry but lou will is not a point. and j holiday hasnt proven anything to me

2. letting larry brown walk without compensation. sure he's a coach. but a damn good one. they get trade value for coaches in the nfl. why not the nba?

3. signing elton brand to an 80 million contract. at first, everyone was excited. but he has not done anything to justify the contract.

FlakeyFool
02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Signing Jamal Magloire

piaband
02-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Not sure I could handle being a blazers fan. Miss on Jordan, 25 years later miss on Durant. Ouch

LAKERMANIA
02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Letting Jerry West go
Trading Nick Van Exel for nothing (eventually worked out well)
Trading Shaq for Brian Grant, Odom, Butler and a 1st (Farmar) (eventually worked out well)
Trading Caron for Kwame (Eventually Worked out well)
Trading Odom for nothing

Hellcrooner
02-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Not sure I could handle being a blazers fan. Miss on Jordan, 25 years later miss on Durant. Ouch

Not to forget missing on Dr J, Moses Malone and Larry Bird.

Sad but true.

Baller1
02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.inkedcelebrity.com/robertswift.jpg

He could play a character in a horror movie... Legitimately.

Biggest ginger ever. He plays in Japan now.

Giraffes Rule
02-21-2012, 02:50 PM
I guess trading Scola for a second round pick was bad, but they couldn't find a way for bring him over financially. Still think it would have been better to find a way to get him on the Spurs.

silverbrad
02-21-2012, 02:51 PM
I think Knicks have made more mistakes than every team in the leagu COMBINED in the 2000s.

Its far too many to count.....but it starts with
1. Hiring Isiah Thomas- this has led to at least 100 different mistakes

^^^Agreed...Also I gotta mention the great French Debacle. I think it was 1999 but still, Fredrick Weiss over Artest. I mean C'MON.

Philly 4 Life
02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Giving Elton Brand the contract that he got.

Giving Iggy the contract that he got.

Trading Allen Iverson for far less then we could have got in return.

LongWayFromHome
02-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Letting Jerry West go
Trading Nick Van Exel for nothing (eventually worked out well)
Trading Shaq for Brian Grant, Odom, Butler and a 1st (Farmar) (eventually worked out well)
Trading Caron for Kwame (Eventually Worked out well)
Trading Odom for nothing

How are these mistakes if they "eventually worked out well."

AlexTmz2
02-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Spurs: Luis Scola :mad:

CudiOnMyiPod
02-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Declining to give Steve Nash his contract AND now it gets worse, giving Erick Dampier even more money...

Gram
02-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Trading Chauncey, drafting Darko, and signing Rip Hamilton to that ridiculous extension. Signing Charlie V.

hgtiger32
02-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Trading Ray Allen. Damn it...

LAKERMANIA
02-21-2012, 03:19 PM
How are these mistakes if they "eventually worked out well."

Because they were mistakes..........that ended up being a good mistake..

It's still a mistake however you want to put it

Missing56&33
02-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Eddy Curry ......I bet this was Lebron James idea.

utl768
02-21-2012, 03:23 PM
for the heat the only blemish is drafting beasley unless you wanna say the brian grant and eddie jones contracts

hawks4
02-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Drafting Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams

Kashmir13579
02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
-Eddy Curry contract
-Jerome James contract

This sums it up. I think we have drafted as good as any team has. Our biggest mistake was drafting Balkman before Rondo. A lot of other teams passed on Rondo.

utl768
02-21-2012, 03:27 PM
i dont understand laker fans who complain about not getting wade for shaq as a big mistake when there were a thousand reports at the time in 2004 that riley was not going to include wade under any circumstance

Jint.
02-21-2012, 03:29 PM
trading Camby & Nene for McDyess :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::puke:

Bravo95
02-21-2012, 03:31 PM
AOL Time Warner selling the Hawks to the current ownership group.

99% of this team's problems come down to absent, incompetent ownership and their terrible hiring and personnel (contract) decisions.

C_Mund
02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
The Raptors have made so many mistakes that it's actually laughable. It's so easy for us to have self-pity for bad calls, nobody wanting to sign, blah blah blah. But when you actually look at acquisitions through the draft, trades and free agency it's almost like our previous FO wanted us to lose for as long as possible. It's not like there were never ANY good moves, but when you have lottery pick after lottery pick and end up with Chris Bosh and three players that aren't in the league while passing on numerous future all-stars, SOMETHING is awry. How is it possible to **** up that much when you're a trained basketball mind and businessman?
Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. Threads like this aren't good for my blood pressure.

smood999
02-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Trading Ewing instead of letting his contract expire started the Knick depression era. The Isiah Era was the breaking point

this, i was wondering if anyone was gonna mention it...truth be told this and allan houstons 100 mil contract started it all for the knicks...ppl hate isiah but he didnt start it...he tried to fix it alot like the knicks moves this past summer...obviously the knicks were smarter this time around with the personnel...but theres not many knick fans that at the time wouldnt have made those same moves as isiah....layden was even worse than isiah...we were over the cap with clearance weatherspoon, howard eisley, shandon anderson, mo taylor...etc..isiahs teams had talent just no chemistry...they were just pieces thrown together

ewing and allan houston decisions started everything....

wjmoffatt
02-21-2012, 03:40 PM
-Letting Trevor Ariza go for Meta World Peace.
-Signing Luke Walton to that ridiculous contract.
-Letting Shannon Brown walk.
-Trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown but if they didn't do that they wouldn't have ended up with Pau Gasol.
-Not trading Bynum for Melo
-Not trading Pau Gasol for Derrik Williams.
-Prolonging this rebuilding process but not making moves. Two years left and we can start the post Kobe age, need someone there for that time.

wjmoffatt
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
i dont understand laker fans who complain about not getting wade for shaq as a big mistake when there were a thousand reports at the time in 2004 that riley was not going to include wade under any circumstance

Not only that they (we) received a great package Lamar Odom and Carron Butler. Two All Stars virtually.

latinofire21
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Almost as bad as the Knicks. Yes you guys are looking good now but before the last year or so, your team has been terrible years.

no denying that. I thought you guys were just victims of being in a division with big market teams. I didnt realize how awful you guys are at drafting. Most of our mistakes came from Isiah Thomas. Hes no longer here and the team is looking a lot better since he has left.

Between Torontos bad drafting and their inability to keep the few gems they do get from the draft I am not sure when they will ever be able to contend.

IndyRealist
02-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Giving coach Jim O'Brien an extension. Not signing him, because no one wanted the job of rebuilding the Pacers. But extending him when he was completely incompetent pushed the fanbase over a cliff.

A close 2nd would be not scrapping the Brawl team in 2005 and rebuilding instead of thinking we were still contenders with a group of players that didn't even like eachother. Yes, Jim O'Brien was THAT bad.

3rd, asking Jermaine O'Neal to gain 20lbs and play center. His knees were never the same after that.

Drafting Shawne Williams instead of Rajon Rondo.

Drafting Tyler Hansbrough instead of Ty Lawson. We've had PG problems for a while.

BallIsAll
02-21-2012, 03:43 PM
not signing melo to an extension when he said he would sign one after we made the WCF :facepalm:
re-signing nene and afflalo to those huge contracts
trading billups with melo
trading camby for nothing

latinofire21
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
The Raptors have made so many mistakes that it's actually laughable. It's so easy for us to have self-pity for bad calls, nobody wanting to sign, blah blah blah. But when you actually look at acquisitions through the draft, trades and free agency it's almost like our previous FO wanted us to lose for as long as possible. It's not like there were never ANY good moves, but when you have lottery pick after lottery pick and end up with Chris Bosh and three players that aren't in the league while passing on numerous future all-stars, SOMETHING is awry. How is it possible to **** up that much when you're a trained basketball mind and businessman?
Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. Threads like this aren't good for my blood pressure.

haha best rant post of the year lol +1

Hawkeye15
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
not signing melo to an extension when he said he would sign one after we made the WCF :facepalm:
re-signing nene and afflalo to those huge contracts
trading billups with melo
trading camby for nothing

I truly think the Nuggets are better off without Melo going forward. At the very least, they would have needed to get rid of Karl and bring in a coach that rolls over for his players to continue with Melo as your franchise guy. Afflalo will be a good player man, already is. The Nene contract was ugh, but you had SO many contracts that needed to be signed when the 3 minute free agency period opened up, you had no choice but to strike fast.

The Camby thing never made sense to me.

Pacerlive
02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
I think the Pacers have this beat with Ron Artest signing..

This lead to a brawl which almost cost the Pacers the franchise. It also ruined the retirement of one of the most beloved Pacers Reggie Miller.

Artest caused 5 years of rebuilding got rid of a championship coach Rich Carisle for Jim Obrien (no one else would take the job) and crippled the franchise with bad long term contracts because no one wanted Sjax, Tinsley or Ron Ron.

When one move ruins 5 out 10 years then I think thats a legit gripe.

BallIsAll
02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
I truly think the Nuggets are better off without Melo going forward. At the very least, they would have needed to get rid of Karl and bring in a coach that rolls over for his players to continue with Melo as your franchise guy. Afflalo will be a good player man, already is. The Nene contract was ugh, but you had SO many contracts that needed to be signed when the 3 minute free agency period opened up, you had no choice but to strike fast.

The Camby thing never made sense to me.

yeah i agree but melos been my favorite player since ai left so it was hard seeing him go when we coulda kept him

LAK3R 4 LIFE
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm still waiting on some fan to bring up Lin as their biggest team mistake letting him go with all these Line hoppers around here..lol

LAK3R 4 LIFE
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
*Lin*

IndyRealist
02-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Just look at this thread and you have all the proof you need. "Trained basketball" minds aren't very good at their jobs. It's a fallacy to believe that people know what they're doing just because someone put them in charge.

Hawkeye15
02-21-2012, 04:02 PM
yeah i agree but melos been my favorite player since ai left so it was hard seeing him go when we coulda kept him

Understandable.

numba1CHANGsta
02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Lakers trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown

Lakers not resigning Fisher after the 03-04 season

ESaady
02-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Any Warriors fan who thinks letting Lin go is a mistake is being dumb.

So I have to say the Warriors biggest mistake in the 2000s is breaking up the "We Believe" Team because Robert Rowell was a douchebag...and basically everything except for letting Lin go.

Akuhpelluh
02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Blowing up a finals team and having Courtney Lee, Devin Harris and Yi Jianlian to show for it.
trading Ryan Anderson in the Courtney Lee trade
Falling in love with European garbage (Zoran Planinic/Khryoa)
Antoine Wright over Danny Granger
Signing Travis Outlaw and Johan Petro

latinofire21
02-21-2012, 04:17 PM
I think the problem with management in general in the NBA is that they fall for the hype too much. They do these same drills and test to test for athletic ability and they scrimmage where all the players showcase their talents but they dont really know how they are going to fit in their team without deeper scouting.

Guys who follow a player through college and knows he will fit a system is one thing but you generally see a lot of gems falling out of the top 10 because if you are coming out of a smaller school you dont get as much hype.

Lin is a great story but looking at all his highlights why wouldnt you give the kid a chance? Every team passed him up including the Knicks. He played for Harvard thats why.

I really think for better scouting and drafting they should allow for a couple days of a player practicing with the team they are scouting with. This may cause for a problem with injury possibilities but I think when they start playing with the guys they can potentially be with that you get a better sense of what they can do for you as a team.

I really would actually like to see something like a summer league predraft before the real draft. Allow teams to mock draft their players for summer league and give them a chance to try out for the team. Then in the official draft the team has the rights to keep the pick if they want it or pick someone else that they thought was better.

Thats just my opinion. There should never be another story like Jeremy Lin because management, scouts, and talent evaluators around the league shouldnt ever dismiss another kid because of ethnicity or the school they played for.

setman2000
02-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Denvers 2002 Draft...No. 5 Nikoloz Tskitishvili and No. 7 Nene while Amare was still on the board!

Hawkeye15
02-21-2012, 04:21 PM
latinofire, Draft picks are like stock options. You can do all the research in the universe, and it may still blow up in your face. Sometimes you come across an easy one, but usually, its out of your hands.

LAKERMANIA
02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
-Trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown but if they didn't do that they wouldn't have ended up with Pau Gasol.
-Prolonging this rebuilding process but not making moves. Two years left and we can start the post Kobe age, need someone there for that time.

You would have done those trades? :eyebrow:

TheMagicAct24
02-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Magic:

Getting Grant Hill in free agency in 2000 after he broke his ankle playing in the playoffs against the Heat.

Trading T-Mac for garbage players

Drafting Fran Vazquez over future good players like Danny Granger, Monta Ellis(2nd round), David Lee, Nate Robinson, Lou Williams.

Giving Rashard Lewis a 6 yr 120 million dollar contract in free agency (even though we dont make the Finals without him)an All-Star player for us but, still he made more money then Kobe, Wade, James, and own our star D12.

Trading Vince Carter, Mickael Pietrus, AND Marcin Gortat for a washed up Hedo Turkoglu and Jason Richardson.

Trading Rashard Lewis for Gilbert Arenas(when it was clear that he wasnt healthy)

I could go on but thats it for now.

JasonJohnHorn
02-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Detroit: Trading Billups and then using the cap space that came of to sign Charlie V and Ben Gordon. SMFH!!!!

AKAYaReal
02-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Almost forgot,
-Trading Penny Hardaway's expiring contract for Steve Francis when we had Marbury.
-Trading Kurt Thomas for Q Rich

ghettosean
02-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Trading Vince Carter for Eric Williams, Arron Williams, mid range pick in the draft annnnnnnnd. Mourning who moaned and cried as many players do when they come to this far far away foreign country. He forced us to buy him out for 10 million plus then he went on his merry way. GOOD JOB ROB BABCOCK!!! Stay tuned for picking arrujo over iggy in the draft...

Mr. Baller
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Drafting Beasley, but then again it really wasn't a mistake. It was the right person to draft at the time, just didn't pan out

bringinwood
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Drafting Samuel Dalembert instead of Tony Parker or Gilbert Arenas and then years later giving him a completely ridiculous contract in RFA...

Drafting Jiri Welsch instead of Carlos Boozer or Tayshaun Prince...

Not having a draft pick in the 2003 draft...

Not having a 1st rounder in the 2005 draft...

Drafting Rodney Carney over Rajon Rondo and many others...

Drafting Mareese Speights over Roy Hibbert, JaVale McGee, JJ Hickson, George Hill, Nicolas Batum, George Hill and others....

And finally, the biggest mistake they made in the 2000s was the Elton Brand debacle of a contract... Everyone in the NBA knew he wasn't worth big, long term money except the Sixers...

Holy **** it's been a long decade...

Bishnoff
02-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Where do I begin? The Suns have had arguably the worst FO (or 2nd worst behind Minny) over the last 6-7 years since Sarver bought the franchise off Colangelo.

* Trading away multiple 1st round picks for cash;

* Not extending Joe Johnson and then having to let him leave;

* Signing Banks to a 5-year, $21 Million contract;

* Signing Diaw to a 5-year, $45 Million extension;

* Trading Kurt Thomas AND 2 1st round unprotected picks (2008 & 2010) for cash;

* Not extending Marion and then trading him for Shaq;

* Threatening to trade Amar'e at every opportunity for the last 2.5 years of his contract and then letting him walk for nothing (TPE);

* Trading Barbosa & TPE for Hedo;

* Signing Frye to a 5-year, $30 Million contract;

* Signing Warrick to a 4-year, $18 Million contract;

* Signing Childress to a 5-year, $33 Million contract;

* Trading Dragic for Brooks.

Meatmypet
02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Isiah Thomas
Eddy Curry's Contract. Handing out first round picks like candies.
Jerome James and Jared Jefferies contracts.
Balkman over Rondo...
Marbury.
Steve Francis.

smith&wesson
02-21-2012, 06:07 PM
the raptors selected bosh instead of d.wade :facepalm:

latinofire21
02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
latinofire, Draft picks are like stock options. You can do all the research in the universe, and it may still blow up in your face. Sometimes you come across an easy one, but usually, its out of your hands.

Well the reason why I suggested the above statement is because college teams have similar strategies obviously without the draft board. They scrimmage them with their team and look at chemistry where in the NBA they scrimmage against other prospects and you just have to assume how they will do against nba talent.

mzgrizz
02-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Thabeet

knicks=love
02-21-2012, 09:40 PM
December 22, 2003 is all i have to say.

SugeKnight
02-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Warriors:

Trading Jason Richardson for Brandan Wright
Not acquiring Kevin Garnett
Trading a Lottery protected 1st round pick for that ****in scrub Marcus Williams
Signing Maggette to a ridiculous contract
Trading Jackson and Harrington for nothing

MU and UW Fan
02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Trading Ray Allen and 1st round pick for 28 games of Gary Payton and Desmond Mason

Ill21
02-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Marbury, Curry, Jerome James, Mardy Collins, maybe Amare and all of our draft mistakes.

koetravis
02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Man, being a Rockets fan has never felt so good! lol, our biggest thing was not winning a ship with Yao and T-Mac but we can't help injuries.

ManningToTyree
02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
As a Knicks fan there is not enough time to list everything, but it all began with the Ewing trade.

king2218
02-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Trading away T-Mac for garbage. Trading away Ariza. Hedo Turk trade.

Wade>You
02-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Michael Beasley. Crazy to think Heat could've had any of Westbrook, Love, Rose (Bulls were gifted that one, 13 other teams never stood a chance) etc. He's our Darko.

DenButsu
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Nuggets

1. The 2004 S&T for Kenyon Martin. It hamstrung the payroll straight through to the Melo trade, took the Nuggets out of the draft for years, all for a player who was nowhere worth the 14/15/16 million dollars he was getting paid and who was injured practically half that time anyhow. Thank you, Kiki Vandeweghe.

2. Wasting the #5 pick in 2002 on Nikoloz Tskitishvili. Nene over Amare doesn't look too bad in retrospect, but Skita over Amare? Again, thanks, Kiki.

3. Trading for Allen Iverson. Denver was rolling along fine in 2006. The chemistry was coming together, JR Smith's development (which would later regress) was moving forward nicely. Then the Nuggets traded Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 firsts for AI. I'll admit I supported the move at the time and this is a hindsight call. But like the K-Mart trade, this locked Denver in the luxury zone with zero financial flexibility and once again took them out of the draft. It also meant the death of anything which could remotely be called "Nuggets defense" for the next two seasons.

NBA_Starter
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Drafting Adam Morrison :(

LongWayFromHome
02-27-2012, 05:32 AM

Is this real life????!!!

1 - Meta was huge part of winning the second title
2 - you're right
3 - seriously this is one of the biggest mistakes since 2000?
4 - how is this a mistake if it ultimately landed you Pau (+butler didn't ever fit in with Kobe)
5 - seriously?
6 - really seriously? nobody wants a tweener who can't fit into any role
7 - maybe...ish. But not biggets mistake in the 2000's

Bruno
02-27-2012, 05:34 AM
trading Shaq for nothing and wasting three years of Bryants prime.

kingsdelez24
02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Trading away webber for three scrubs from the sixers while webber averaged 21 9 and 5 on one leg.... we got killed by seattles front court of jerome james and radmanovic in that playoff series

nycericanguy
02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Trading two first round picks (turned into Noah & Aldridge) for Eddy Curry and then giving him a monster contract. :cry:

Trading a young Trevor Ariza for a washed up Steve Francis (i hated that move at the time)

mdm692
02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
SUNS FO HAS GOT THIS BY A LANDSLIDE
-Not paying joe johnson
-Trading kurt thomas and 1st rounders just to get rid of his contract
-Selling 1st round picks
-Trading shawn marion for shaq
-Letting Stoudemire walk for nothing
-Using all the money that they could of used for stat to sign frye, warrick, and childress to ridiculous contracts
-Trading dragic(the so called heir to the nash dynasty) for aaron brooks(who is in china still)
Side note: the sold and traded suns picks resulted in rajon rondo, luol deng, and nate robinson

were talking of having a possible line up
nash/rondo/nate
joe johnson/raja bell
grant hill/luol deng
shawn marion/diaw
stoudemire/fa

of course we dont know how they would of turned out had they played with the suns but they would at least play 2 years together cause they would be in their rookie contracts

ManningToTyree
02-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Michael Beasley. Crazy to think Heat could've had any of Westbrook, Love, Rose (Bulls were gifted that one, 13 other teams never stood a chance) etc. He's our Darko.

Proof?

NoahH
02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Moving to Memphis?

Sinestro
02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
One that stands out the most is Thomas over Alridge

Cal827
02-27-2012, 02:23 PM

I think I would love my craptors to have that version of Darko... but instead our Darko was Rafael Araujo :facepalm:

ElFuturoDeESPN
02-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Oden over Durant.

kenzo400
02-27-2012, 02:45 PM
the raptors selected bosh instead of d.wade :facepalm:

Imagine if we traded Carter for that fifth pick. We could have had Bosh and Wade

llemon
02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Nets list is pretty long. Some highlights.......

Signing Billy King, Avery Johnson, Travis Outlaw and Johan Petro (Thank You, Rod).

The Troy Murphy trades, the Okur trade, signing Shawne Williams.

Antoine Wright over Danny Granger.

Jeff McInnis and Chris Childs.

And the franchise changers.......

1) Trading for Vince Carter
2) Re-signing of Vince Carter
3) Trading Ryan Anderson in order to dump Vince Carter.

What Deron Williams and Dwight Howard decide will measure if the signing of Billy King was good or bad.

PacersForLife
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Jim O'Brien comes to mind...

Lord Leoshes
02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Drafting Beasly over K Love.

BklyNyk
02-27-2012, 09:38 PM

This.

Chronz
02-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Ewing trade has to be up there for sure

So does trading for Stephon and Francis

NYKnicks4511
02-27-2012, 09:55 PM
-Eddy Curry contract
-Jerome James contract

Not even going to go through the draft mistakes

Don't forget Weis over Artest (99-00), Balkman over Rondo, Jordan Hill over Jennings/Holiday, the Allan Houston 100mil deal, the list goes on and on.

However, I am happy where we are at with Lin-Melo-Stat-Chandler. :)

blastmasta26
02-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Ewing trade has to be up there for sure

So does trading for Stephon and Francis
Every move made up until Walsh took over is a candidate for biggest mistake lol.

JordansBulls
02-28-2012, 12:54 PM
December 22, 2003 is all i have to say.

What was that? Was it the Allan Houston 20 million dollar a year contract being paid when he already retired?